Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Good news for metalheads: hot on the heels of Back on Black's reissue of Bolt Thrower's In Battle There is No Law, Metal Blade will be reissuing all of Bolt Thrower's Metal Blade albums (Mercenary, Honour Valour Pride and Those Once Loyal). Of course, the real coup would be for Earache to reissue the really classic albums that routinely fetch high prices, but I'll take what I can get, especially considering how consistent a band they are/were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
That seems to be a common thing with modern soundtracks on vinyl. I know Inception got a super limited pressing and now commands high aftermarket prices. Same with the Into the Wild soundtrack from a few years ago and the Harold & Maude reissue that came out around the same time. Seems the exception to this trend are things like the Twilight and Watchmen soundtracks, but I'm assuming most of the people buying those don't even own a turntable*. The Brown Bunny soundtrack is also a little hard to come by because it was a bootleg release and I can tell you from firsthand experience that Vincent Gallo or someone working for him polices eBay to pull auctions for it whenever they go up.

*Fun fact: at a record industry convention a coworker asked the owner of Metal Blade Records something about vinyl and he expressed surprise at the fact that people actually played their records. I guess he figured he was in the "collectibles" business as far as vinyl goes, which I guess sort of explains their tendency to press stuff on lovely picture discs and some of their no-effort reissues.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Awesome! I'm guessing you're in Europe/ordered from Europe since they're colored vinyl? I wish I could go ahead and put in a preorder for the trio, but I've been suffering from a chronic case of broke-as-hell for the past few months.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

I love Bolt Thrower's ridiculous, 40k inspired covers and themes. I can't get into their music though :(

If you haven't given it another try in a while, start with Those Once Loyal and work backwards. Their later stuff is more accessible with more of a groove element but without pandering to the rednecky, Pantera side of metal. They're pretty much the epitome of death metal in my opinion.

As for Bitch Magnet, I've got an original Ben Hur (without the 7" Discogs claims it was supposed to come with) but I never could get into 'em, which is weird considering I love a lot of the related projects (David Grubbs, Squirrel Bait, ee, Codeine, etc.). Speaking of the latter, I'm excited for the Codeine reissues coming out next year, though it's weird that Numero Group is putting them out.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

WASDF posted:

Waiting for *Doom/Shoegaze/Post-Punk* Records to Come in the Mail :\

Unless their shipping has improved since the first press, you've got a seam split or two to look forward to. Did they actually use the painting for the cover art this time around? Mine has the dude in the center of a black background and looks like some sort of Death in June bootleg.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Paid with paypal and they kept me busy long enough so I'm powerless about complaining. I'm just gonna keep bothering them. Like an imp.

Are you in Italy? If so, I feel for you somewhat because your postal service is the worst.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I'm shipping a 7" internationally for the first time and I was just wondering if there's anything extra I should to ensure it gets there safely. Its going to Germany if it matters.

I use a size #2 bubble mailer with four pieces of corrugated cardboard (two on each side) cut to just a bit larger than the sleeve itself. eBay Power Seller with 100% feedback, and I ship 7"s every week or two, so it seems like a pretty good way of doing it from my experience. Be sure to tape down the self-adhesive flap with packing tape since they're unreliable sometimes.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

WASDF posted:

and I was visiting my friends in Arizona where I used to live and found some of my mom's old records too.

Soundgarden - Screaming Life EP (first pressing!)
Soundgarden - Loud Love EP
Soundgarden - Flower EP
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Some Have to Dance Some Have to Kill EP
The Cure - Fascination Street

I'm not even in my thirties yet, but someone's mom owning Soundgarden records makes me feel old.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Now what's almost as bad is that instead of all Ebay record dealers using the same universal grading system that everybody understands they come up with their own version of that. So now we have VG++ and NM- and all kinds of other bullshit which is often a clever way of disguising that a record is in subpar condition.

I'm guilty of both of those, but only to describe what are essentially NM records save for a minor cosmetic flaw. Then again, I playtest if in doubt, and try to describe things as accurately as possible to account for the super-anal collectors. As long as the person you're dealing with has substantial, excellent feedback, you're usually in good hands. It's the 'I'm selling this stack of dusty records I found in my late uncle's garage and didn't bother to do any research at all on' sellers and those with very little feedback history you have to worry about. I've sold tons of $100+ records and never had any problems. The only times I've had issues, it's typically a $20-50 record where something got mangled in transit or by a buffoon in customs.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

CPL593H posted:

What worries me about this is when the sales from bandwagon hoppers dry up. It's probably a safe assumption to say a lot of this surge is because of people who just view the format as a novelty and as such they don't really ever invest in it. It makes me concerned that once those people tire of the whole thing the record companies will stop making vinyl LPs once again. Although I suppose one could point out that the surge in sales is obviously due to vinyl records being more widely available than they have been in a long time.

I handle web sales (Amazon/eBay) for a local record store and it's mostly the same dozen predictable records that we sell online. Popular indie rock (She & Him, Postal Service, Fleet Foxes, My Morning Jacket), pop (Adele, Florence & the Machine, etc.), evergreen reissues (Bob Dylan mostly) and things I assume people are surprised to discover are affordably available on vinyl (Tool). It's nice to see an uptick in overall sales, but like any other format or previous time in vinyl's history, I assume just a handful of artists are dominating the numbers.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Lateralus on picture disc is still in print (around $30, about average for a major label double LP), as is Opiate (for around $10 if I'm remembering correctly), and I'm pretty sure there's one other one in print as well, though I've never really listened to them and don't know the name. There should be multiple sellers on the Amazon marketplace with them.

The "people buying vinyl who never open or listen to it" is supposedly a thing, though I don't really know anyone personally who does that (save for a coworker who successfully played the "black metal stock market" a few years ago to modest returns on the side). Some of the head honchos of labels at music industry trade conventions expressed surprise to the same coworker that people actually listen to their records; one of whose label (Metal Blade) puts out low-effort, lovely picture discs most of the time, seemingly targeting some of those people. Dio's widow is doing this as well with her label Niji entertainment, though all of their vinyl releases are indie exclusives and to some extent this benefits independent record stores. Still, $30 for Dio's pre-Rainbow and 2000's output is steep no matter how limited, and I would consider myself a Dio fan.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Can anyone link something cheap ($20-30)I can buy from Wal-mart that will hold my new collection of 12 inch lps? I have maybe 6 right now (the number is growing day by day), but I intend on keeping them in the best quality possible.

For a collection that size, just buy a plastic milk crate for $4 and save up for an Expedit from Ikea ($69 and up). Wal-Mart's "furniture" is lovely lovely lovely, and while Ikea is still wood/glue composite and laminate stuff that won't stand the test of time, it's what everyone has and swears by and is affordable enough to not feel bad about banging the hell out of during a move.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

alg posted:

Man I know this is :goonsay: as gently caress but I wish y'all shipped your products faster :( I placed 2 orders around noon on Friday and they haven't even shipped yet. If I could've found them on Amazon they would be here tomorrow, free shipping.

Even Amazon gives their marketplace sellers two business days to get orders out the door. Chill. Most companies don't have the warehouses, infrastructure and manpower that Amazon is able to afford.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I think part of the problem is also that record companies want to sell an image more than they want to sell music. Take a look at Kings of Leon. When they first started out, they were these kinda scraggly looking country dudes making gritty, original, upbeat southern rock. Once they switched to a major label, they become these stylish pretty boys and now all of their music sounds exactly the same, and may as well be Coldplay or something.

Coincidentally, you can swap out "Kings of Leon" for "My Morning Jacket" in your first paragraph and it still works, though It Still Moves was enjoyable.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who's Ted Leo?

A musician whose complaints about not making money might hold more credence if he hadn't been putting out lousy records since signing to Matador. Plus, he doesn't play his old (read: good) poo poo live anymore.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I saw the flowers and thought for a second I had located the only other person who bought Rival Schools' new album last year.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

ChaosNonMusica posted:

That sounds really hosed up. I buy multiple records a week with paypal (and have done so for years) and have never had any kind of spending limit-type problems or anything. You should call them and see what's up.

Good luck. Paypal doesn't give a poo poo about their customers unless they're a business that keeps a hefty balance at all times. Any emails you send will be replied to with canned responses verbatim from help pages with no actual details pertaining to your inquiry. At least this has been my experience with the two PayPal disputes I've had on eBay.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

They don't do this unless you have a recent transaction that someone refuted, so obviously you know what the cause of this is, sooo... yeah the "paypal is loving us all" bandwagon doesn't really apply here. Nobody I know has ever had a problem with paypal, invariably many of us having paypal accounts for this long have however filed disputes with negligent/fraudulent sellers. Not saying that's the case but you might want to make sure the transactions you recently completed are followed through.

My main problem with them lies in how automated their red flags are. I had two overseas buyers open claims after my last batch of eBay auctions only to leave positive feedback a few days later. In the interim, PayPal put a hold on all funds in my account for 21 days that was finally lifted months later. That hold on funds sucked, because I typically only sell stuff when I need money pretty quick, and that defeats the purpose.

That it's so expensive to track international packages is precisely the reason you see so much bitching about Italy among eBay sellers and groaning about Canada in SA-Mart.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Peacebone posted:

What's everyone's take on outter record sleeves to protect from dust and such? Do you put them on every record you own? And best brands / deals on buying them?

I put them on every record I consider to be part of my collection, so the only ones that aren't in sleeves are some dad rock records I was given but haven't had time to go through and assess just yet and a handful of 7"s because I don't buy enough 7"s to be able to justify buying a whole bag of sleeves. Bags Unlimited is pretty much the standard, but there's some good stuff at Sleeve City as well. The ones marked "customer favorite" at Bags Unlimited are what I use. I can't stand bags with top flaps myself, and will put them on records I'm trading or selling just to be rid of them. I'd say sleeves are more about preventing shelfwear than they are about keeping dust off.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I don't understand the new comedy on vinyl thing, especially at the prices some of them go for. I remember seeing David Cross's "Shut Up You loving Baby" new and it was $40+. Granted, it was a 2 CD set, which probably meant triple LP, but still.

Also, NESguerrilla, that Roky Erickson album does rule, and not to spit in the face of psych fans everywhere, but I find it far more enjoyable than anything the Elevators ever did. Did Sympathy not do a repress when they reissued it on CD a few years back? Then again, some Sympathy vinyl gets expensive quick once it's out of print.

Lastly, Light in the Attic's new imprint Modern Classics Recordings looks like it'll have some promise depending on what they can license. So far it's been Morphine and Mercury Rev, but I know there's a Ride album coming from them soon (Going Blank Again). The focus seems to be on 90s stuff. If they can get the rights for proper Catherine Wheel and House of Love reissues, consider those bought.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Every copy of "Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse that I can find on Ebay is listed for $300+. Is it really worth that much or are these people insane?

Check the box in the left sidebar to show completed listings only to get an accurate sense of what they have actually sold for recently. Buy It Nows are almost never an accurate gauge of something's true value. Alternately, PopSike should be able to give you a sort of timeline of its value.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

The reissued CD is out of print and expensive as hell so if there was a vinyl pressing it's probably also pricey.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize it was going for that much. I think at some point pretty much everyone I work with has had a (legit) copy of it, and the dialogue bits from Creature With the Atom Brain are quoted fairly often.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

quote:

Third Man is a pretty terrible company. All they sell is a bunch of over priced hipster novelty bullshit. I'm really suprised that [Third Man Release] isn't getting a regular domestic release on vinyl due to the popularity of the film and how well liked the music was. When any of that poo poo sells out, it's not even to people who want whatever the item is. It's to dipshits on ebay who sell it for at least triple what they paid. Third Man can shove their [Third Man Release] record up their rear end. Honestly, with the way they market things it's probably going to be one of those records that looks really neat and sounds like total poo poo. As much as I hate paying for international shipping, I'll gladly buy the European pressing just so I can avoid participating in that other circlejerk.

I swapped Mondo for Third Man in this post, and it's kind of amazing how well it fit.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Raising prices is always a terrible way to make up for lower than hoped for sales. I see it everyday in the cafeteria at the factory I work at. They raise prices and less people eat there, so they raise prices to make up for lost sales, and the cycle seems to keep repeating. It's cheaper for me to eat fast food than the work cafeteria, and I don't mean ordering from the dollar menu:(

I see new records the same way. I buy maybe 1 or 2 NEW records a year because I don't want to pay 20$ for a new record. If they were closer to 10$, I'd probably buy 25-50 a year. And the prices probably scare lots of people away from getting into it in the first place.
Does this sound accurate, or am I just whining about records being too high?

I agree completely. I have a hard time justifying $25 reissues when they're more than likely :effort: jobs meant to cash in on "the resurgence of vinyl," or whatever the recycled articles that newspapers and websites have warmed over and trotted out on an almost yearly basis for the past 5-10 years are calling it. I wouldn't even mind if labels went the SST route, where it's worth tracking down originals if you're a die-hard fan for inserts and such, but almost that entire catalog (or at least what's still generating sales/what people still care about; i.e., Black Flag and not Henry Kaiser) is in print and very cheap for whoever wants it and doesn't have to have an original pressing.

As much as I love Neil Young, the reissues of his catalog have been the poster children for how not to go about a reissue campaign. They reissued a few of his early records last year that were the exact same issue as the last reissue, only marked up wholesale in such a way that they're about $10 more expensive at retail than the last time around. Record Store Day has only further stressed this lovely trend with lovely releases that cost way too much money wholesale and retail and more often than not leave unassuming stores littered with dead stock that was overhyped before its release.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Tim Curry has replaced Steve Buscemi as my go-to Tommy Seebach doppleganger.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Forget RSD jokes, when are Numero's Codeine reissues coming out?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

chime_on posted:

...May 22?

Awesome. I swear there wasn't an update when I checked their blog forever ago and there seems to have been so much news that has piled up since that I missed it.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Fors Yard posted:

That's annoying. A copy of Com Truise's Galactic Melt popped up on Amazon market place for $16.99, and I bought it as soon as I saw it. They shipped me a CD. Was looking forward to that, a lot. Oh well.

I did read on a discogs comment that it was likely that they were going to repress it (first pressing was only 500 copies) so hopefully that happens at least.

In defense of the Amazon seller, sometimes labels and distributors don't bother with fresh barcodes and poo poo shows up on Amazon as a different product. I can't tell you how many times I had to cancel orders at my store for some Linux kernel book (we don't stock many books, and none pertaining to Linux) that was really some sort of High Times-related DVD. Also, the last Puscifer thing that came out on vinyl just used a barcode from an older CD of theirs. Then again, sometimes the employees who pull orders are just loving stupid or lazy, which I can also vouch for.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other bands' stuff using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

Check out a book called "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson. It goes into this in more detail.

While you're at it, check out Davidson's band The New Bomb Turks if you're into garage punk. (I assume Terminally Bored is already familiar). They start to wear thin if you listen to them for more than about 20 minutes in one go, but if you can listen to them in brief spurts they're brilliant.

This whole thing sounds remarkably similar to the demise of Lookout Records a few years ago, swapping The White Stripes for Green Day and Operation Ivy (plus a whole slew of Lookout's B-list acts like Fifteen/Crimpshrine, the Criminals, etc., plus 2010 womens boxing champ Ben Weasel's projects). I guess the difference being that Lookout was diverting other artists royalty payments (mostly Green Day, Operation Ivy) into trying to develop artists that honestly weren't ever going to blow up (Pansy Division, The Donnas). I like Pansy Division well enough for what they are and think the Albini-produced Absurd Pop Song Romance is one of the most underrated pop albums of the 90s, but the fact remains that an overtly gay pop punk band is only going to have so much appeal.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Whats it like being a millionaire?

The worst part is that even the scraps and filler that Douglas P considers fit to reissue generally wholesale for what I would consider to be above-average retail prices, meaning prices once stores put their markup on them fall squarely into "gently caress that" territory, especially considering that it's rarely the good stuff.

Also, if it's your first venture into DiJ territory, But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter? is a good intro for their neofolk phase. Someone else can give you a rundown of the industrial albums since I'm not as fond of or well versed in those. They're like any number of similar acts in that a lot of the shock value is simply that and a lot of what you might be led to believe is deep is simply cribbed from some pseudo-esoteric source that allows the band to feel intelligent, kinda like how sci-fi authors love to use obscure or high-brow epigraphs at the beginning of chapters.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

So the store I work at bought a shitload (6-7,000) of records from the widow of a collector who had a connection at Warner Bros from about 1974-1980 based on what I've seen so far. What that means is there are a poo poo ton of test pressings of some good stuff like Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Devo, Gang of Four, Leonard Cohen, Talking Heads, Dead Boys, etc. as well as some questionably desirable titles (70s Beach Boys, so-so Allman Bros albums, Arlo Guthrie, late original lineup Black Sabbath) and some stuff I can't imagine anyone being willing to pay decent money for (Keith Carradine, etc.). I started tossing some up on eBay in an attempt to recoup some of what we paid out if anyone is interested or just wants to see what some folks are willing to pay for test pressings.

There's also a bunch of private press, promo-only and audiophile records, and a lot of them are still sealed. There's basically a ton of varied stuff but the size of it all makes it a bit daunting, as well as the fact that it is all alphabetized in numbered boxes, but the boxes aren't in order, which makes digging to see if there's a specific record you want among them a pain in the rear end at this point.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

JehovahsWetness posted:

Those test pressings are going to make a killing.

I've hit up Earshot in SC a bunch of times and I always got the distinct feeling that most good records don't get a chance on the racks and are just held for eBay. Any of this going to actually make it onto the floor? I was probably going to do a daytrip in the next week or so that would go through gville.

Some of it will, the mindset around there is centered around the bottom line, so your impression is mostly correct. I routinely hand back stuff I'm given to list and suggest that we try it in store for a few months to see if anyone local is interested, but I think part of the deal with this lot is that they want to make back a significant portion of what was paid out as quickly as possible, particularly since they just spent a good chunk of money opening a new store in Charleston. (I have no idea how the vinyl pricing schemes go there and at the Winston Salem store, but those stores don't list on eBay as far as I know).

At the end of the day I wish the store was more like Lunchbox Records in Charlotte (run by a music lover and has a nice churn of good new and used product priced reasonably) as opposed to the way it is (owned by a slack dude who's been well off his whole life and only cares about the bottom line).

If you do stop by say "Road Rage" at the counter if you buy anything for a 10% discount from some radio ad they've been running.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

These sad people with binders, why are they sad? Because they dedicate more money to the hobby than you? Because they are serious collectors? Are coin collectors sad? Are antique collectors sad?

Some are smug they have huge collections. Some people are smug they have small collections of obscure poo poo. Some people are smug they have 1000$ turntable set ups in their 400 sq ft apartments. I don't want to vilify any type of collector, just because they have different kinds of collections or spending habits.
I'm not really down with collector hate.

This response wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just really a counterpoint, for those that don't really understand large scale or expensive collecting.

It's just something the mainstream population will never understand, and given the idiosyncratic nature of a lot of collectors, something that many people equate either with mental illness and/or an excess of disposable income.

There's a decent pinball documentary called Special When Lit that focuses in part on collectors of pinball machines. While I know that documentarians going to go after the weirdest folks imaginable with maybe a sane one or two for the sake of "balance," pretty much everyone they interviewed that was way into pinball and owned scores of tables seemed to be of somewhat questionable sanity. Hell, pretty much any decent documentary these days focuses on obsession and those obsessed, which is part of the allure of collecting.

I guess I've been on both sides of it, having gone through a phase of collecting in my early 20s with video games and music. I still buy records I'm going to listen to and games I'm going to play, but never just to own them or to add a +1 to my collection anymore. To me it's more valuable to be able to appreciate something you own and to have a good reason for it being there. It's also great to have an aesthetically pleasing home that isn't over cluttered with things I don't need or use. I understand part of the mentality of collectors, but I could never bring myself to pay large sums for something of so little utility. I've since dumped much of my excess probably still have lots of stuff to unload because it just isn't as important to me to own what are ultimately trivial things anymore.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

RSD is a huge ripoff, especially once you see the prices on a lot of the stuff coming out. And it's not even stores marking this poo poo up exorbitantly but rather the high prices the labels charge wholesale for most of it. It's basically a way for major labels to put out what are often no-effort releases (see: almost every RSD 7") that have name recognition and be able to sell out of an entire run at inflated prices without having to worry about overstock or returns (as none of this poo poo is returnable). It's a win-win for the majors because they get to look like good guys that care about independents while at the same time making easy, no-or-low-risk money. It's a good weekend financially for many of the stores involved (assuming you aren't stuck with a bunch of stock that will be dead once the weekend is over), but it doesn't really create new customers; it either gets people into your store one day out of the year because they're suckers for hype or want to flip poo poo on eBay or worse yet it will piss off your regulars since you're not supposed to hold poo poo and they didn't want to wake up bright and early to fight a mob on a Saturday morning.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

If I was selling a bunch of LP's, what would be a good estimated shipping price (including the cost of mailers/boxes)? Does $3 for the first disc and $1.50 for each additional sound about right? I'm trying to find a general price that will make it so I don't make a BS profit on shipping, but I don't want to get boned either.

Also, where in the loving world can I buy record mailers outside of the internet? There has to be some store that sells them in bulk, but I can't find them anywhere.

If you're buying mailers, then $4 is reasonable for a single LP since $0.45 is about the cheapest you can get them wholesale. If you have some lying around, then $3.50. I would do no more than $1 for additional records, $0.50 minimum. A well-packaged record is typically going to be between 1 and 2 pounds, putting the average actual postage at around $3. $2.65 is for 1 pound of Media Mail, I believe $3.08 is for 2, and it creeps up incrementally from there depending on weight. (These are prices for postage paid online, post office prices will be slightly higher). Media is flat rate to anywhere in the US, Priority will depend on zip code and also increases in price by the pound. Always spring for Delivery Confirmation.

As far as getting mailers, check with your local record stores. They might have some lying around, and if they don't then they may be willing to sell you a few if they ship records often and buy mailers in bulk. If you have to buy them online, buy them from ValueMailers (but from their eBay store, which is cheaper than their actual website; eBay id is threeb or something like that), they usually have the best prices and their shipping is so quick that if there isn't much difference between them and the cheapest and I'm needing mailers quick, I'll go with them anyway. Don't waste money buying cardboard pads; get some large cardboard boxes, a record you don't care about to trace around and a boxcutter and you're all set to make your own.

I always take the record out of the sleeve and place it behind the sleeve in an LP bag, put cardboard squares on both sides and tape them snug at the middle of the sides and bottom. From there you just want to make sure the mailer is snug around the contents to prevent things sliding around, and writing "fragile" on the package never hurts either.

I do this poo poo for a living, hopefully my soul-sucking experience in the world of record store employeedom is beneficial to somebody.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Is that an original copy of that Ride LP? I know Light in the Attic has a reissue coming as part of their newest imprint, potential future releases from which I'm kind of excited about.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Z.S. Ghost posted:

e: sorry thought this was the lips thread

Nope, it's the DFA1979 thread.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

traveling midget posted:

Can anyone offer advice on the possibility of disabling the automatic functionality on my Technics SL-Q300? It's annoying as gently caress, but the mechanism next to the motor that detects 7"s and 12"s prevents the platter from spinning if I take out the piece on the platter.

I've got a different but similar Technics and all I do is just manually put the needle on as opposed to pushing the start/stop button. When you push the tonearm over, the platter should start spinning automatically.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on Mobile Fidelity. Do people feel it is worth it for albums they like, or would they rather try and track down a clean version of the album. In my opinion, it sounds very nice, and it is clear that they didn't just take a CD and put it onto LP, but I also wonder if there is a lot of audiophile bullshit.

A little from column A, a lot from column B. Mobile Fidelity stands out because they're the most recognizable at what they do: audiophile pressings of popular records. Records released during their initial run tend to be more desirable (they went out of business for a while and later reestablished themselves). If you want expensive, nice versions of classic albums, Classic Records' catalog is extremely nice based on the few dozen I've seen, but they seem to be dormant at the moment and possibly on the verge of being out of business. As for other labels, DCC was about on par with Mobile Fidelity but far less active, and at the lower end of the spectrum there is Nautilus Super Discs, but their catalog was not nearly as prestigious as the others (Barbara Streisand, Doobie Brothers) and they don't typically go for much. Audio Fidelity puts out a few LPs these days, but their catalog has some questionable releases in it (an audiophile pressing of a live Ramones gig, really?) and their catalog is equally hit and miss.

At the end of the day, I'm too much of a cheapass for really expensive records and am fine settling for a $6 VG++/EX copy of a classic record as opposed to needing to own a version on heavyweight vinyl that might be limited to a few thousand copies and sound better to a discerning ear but costs a good chunk of money I feel would be more wisely spent elsewhere. Also, my forays into the world of the audiophile rarely venture past spending more than $50 on a pair of headphones. It all boils down to what's important to you and how much disposable income you have.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's for people who love sound, not really for people who love music.

This is the audiophile world summed up in a sentence. It is what it is, and what it is is a big dick contest for rich white men played with ones ears and overpriced stereo equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not the type to romanticize achievements or put much credence in fate or destiny, but ever so often I'll come across someone doing something so remarkably well that I think to myself "they're doing exactly what they were put on this planet to do." I feel that way about Jack White and trolling record collectors.