Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Some of the more interesting 1950s-60s album covers on my main shelf.

This sounds like some kind of riddle or logic puzzle, and now I'm very curious to know how four freshmen manage to play five trombones between them. I know how the guy from Morphine played two saxaphones at once, but for the life of me I'm not sure how the mechanics would work to play more than one trombone at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
That cat is employing an interesting technique for playing the Pocket Operator.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

graham cracker posted:

So, my AT LP120X order got cancelled from the place offering it for 250.

Anyone else have an alternative idea for a ~$200-300 player that's decent or a reputable retailer?

I don't know if you ended up finding an alternative vendor or different turntable, but Amazon seems to have the LP120X back in stock for $250.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

why did morse code need a designated shorthand for "old man"

And since it was apparently the same morse code as for "zero," how could anybody tell if the morse operator was calling their old man a total zero?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

The Walrus posted:

Not enough people recommend Fluance turntables in here - they're all in stock now and especially if you live in Canada they're the best price to quality ratio around. They also look sexy.

I don't have any experience with other turntables, but when I got into all this last summer I bought a Fluance RT82, and I love it. It seems really high quality, it was very easy to set up, and it's never given me any trouble. Getting into vinyl was entirely a whim at the time, so I just went with the lowest end of the Fluance reference line, and I have a slight regret about not having just gone for the RT85 and that sweet looking acrylic platter. But other than that (which is probably a foolish regret on my part), I love the RT82. A++, would buy* again.

*[maybe the RT85]

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Now you can let Bezos pick out a record for you each month:

https://variety.com/shop/amazon-vinyl-of-the-month-1235005376

Actually, this is a better link, because it alerted me to the fact that this would satisfy all my Zeppelin and Aretha needs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095WFPM47/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_HA6YNFXT4ACW5YRQZZSG

And it answered some pressing questions I had, like:

Q:Dou you get a vinyl player to play it on?
A: Seriously? No!

Good to know!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

CPL593H posted:

One person saying "vinyl player" and the other one scoffing at the idea of actually listening to the record they purchase is like someone designed my own personal hell and is slowly revealing it.

I dunno. I'm getting more enjoyment out of the reviews -- like the one from the guy who is mad because he would rather pick his own records, and therefore is cancelling his subscription to a service premised around "they pick the record for you" -- than I would giving Bezos $24.99 a month to send me Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac LPs to play on my Grailzspinner. It hasn't cost me a thing so far.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

I downloaded the discogs app to hopefully use that barcode scanner to log all my poo poo so I stop forgetting if I have something when I’m browsing a shop. There is a tab with like the most wishlisted albums and it was all like dark side of the moon and rumors. You can just buy those dude! They aren’t in short supply!

Oh man -- I didn't realize there was a barcode scanner. Here I am typing in the names of my albums and then at times making wild guesses about which particular version it is. This will make things easier.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also picked these up, I will pick up anything conducted by Leopold Stokowski (more famous for being parodied in a Looney Tunes cartoon these days, probably) because among all historical conductors, he was the biggest studio nut who absolutely loved fiddling with his recordings and making them sound as "spectacular" as possible, and that Scriabin cover is so cool (it's a late 60s reissue, unfortunately - you really have to physically check the label on Everest LPs to make sure it's the original)

Love the covers on both of those -- so great. I still haven't checked out the big classical section of one of the local records stores I like, but maybe it's time to do that next time I'm up there. Maybe pick up some Dvorak, Bach, and two albums of WWII fighter plane engine noises I left there last time I stopped by.

Instead, last time I was there, I picked one of the few country albums I grew up with, and Struts album I'm sure I would have loved as a kid:

Stopped by another local place and remedied a gap in my Kate Bush album collection. Also found this West Side Story soundtrack, which came with some record from a 1967 Parisian bank transaction in it. I assume that was some tie-in to the musical, maybe from when the Jets all did study abroad.

And finally this week, braved Discogs after realizing I was never going to come across the Soda Stereo album I'd been looking for locally ever since learning of them in this Netflix documentary about Latin/South American rock bands. Plus a Gin Blossoms album the seller also had. Figure I'd get the latter eventually, but was really excited to finally lay my hands on this Soda Stereo album:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

How’s that Hounds of Love remaster? That and The Kick Inside are two of hers I’m missing but I’m kinda holding out hope I can find earlier pressings so they all “match.”

It sounds really good to me. My only comparison listening to any Kate Bush recently is it playing on an Amazon Echo, and this sounds way better than that (which is what I would expect). In any event, I have no complaints.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

petit choux posted:

LOL

Good morning.

First order of business, Fluance is an unfortunate name

For the first few months I had my turntable, my kids insisted on calling it the "Flatulence RT82." Eventually they grew tired of that, and also tired of asking me "what's that thing?" when I pulled out a record.

Kids these days.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Huh it finally happened; I've had to ream out the center hole on a new record to get it to fit over the spindle. Luckily it wasn't much but I guess quality is really slipping at the factories.

I have a Cranberries record that I kind of think I need to do that to, but I'm scared of messing it up and making the hole slightly off center. Did you have to do anything particular to make sure it was centered when you reamed it out? Or was it pretty straightforward?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Was passing through Portsmouth, NH today and randomly popped in a used record store while my family was getting ice cream, and it was this great place with bins full of old jazz and blues records, a huge selection of 80s and 90s hip-hop 12"'s, and a very nice older gentleman running the place. He gave me a good price on a mint copy of Crowded House's debut album (he said a doctor had owned it and it looked like it has never been played). As we were talking, a friendly black lab walked through the store to hang out for a bit.

And now I'm looking for the store on Google maps so I remember to go next time I'm passing through,
and I don't see it, and a buddy who lives in Portsmouth says he's never heard of it, and only knows another record shop in town. So now I'm wondering if it was all a fever dream.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Saw all these new posts and thought Garth Brooks had dug into the archives and released a new massive box set. Oh well.

Neither from Garth nor Metallica, it was a decent week for picking up a few odds and ends I'd been wanting to have on vinyl:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone had issues recently with Discogs Android app logging you our whenever you use it? I feel like this started about a week ago, but feels like drat near every time I open the app on my phone, I'm logged out and have to log back in. Never used to do this.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

petit choux posted:

Somebody do me a solid and change out "loudspeakers" with "Garth"

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Perfect. No notes.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

IG-88 posted:

Been a minute since I picked up some records but I could not pass on these:

Love the Pacific Breeze album. Been meaning to get around to picking up the second one.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

sporklift posted:

Oh look. A digital album sleeve. Only $500!

https://syneonline.com/welcometosyne

It's a bargain compared to this McIntosh light box that for three times the price appears just to display the logo:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vjE0cYjqBC2/p_958LB100/McIntosh-LB100.html

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Got an old Technics SL-BD20D that has problems that I have no interest in trying to fix. Recommendations for a new turntable? I don't use it a whole ton....so I'm not looking for something too high end. Preferably something in the <$500 range. Anyone have any thoughts on the Orbit Special Turntables? Maybe the Audio-Technica AT-LPW40WN? I definitely have an affinity for turntables with a wooden base....as I find them more aesthetically pleasing.

Also....pre-amp does not matter at this point. For the time being....it'll be paired with a set of Klipsch Sixes which has an internal phono preamp.

I have a Fluance RT82 I'm very happy with. You can spend between $300 and $500 in the range that runs from the RT82 to the RT85, and there are various wood finish options. Could be worth checking out.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
drat. Had a double LP arrive today from Discogs and on the second disc, side 4 appears twice and there is no side 3.

This is not what I would call VG+, as the Discogs seller indicated. What a bummer. Hope the guy sorts this out quickly.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

Well, not sure on the etiquette on this (I only buy on Discogs and have never sold), but if that is a known issue with that version/pressing of the album, then it could technically still be considered VG+? Like, "It's a known fact that this album was mis-pressed and has two side Cs rather than a side C and side D, so I am grading this on the current condition the disc is in, not grading it on the quality of that pressing"? (Sorry if this makes no sense. :420:)

No, that does make sense, but there's nothing in the listing for this particular pressing album that says this is an issue in general. It wasn't listed by this particular seller where I guess I was presuming based on VG+ that it has been played by someone.

I get your point, but I suppose I'd hope that if this was known -- that three whole songs weren't included when you buy this particular pressing -- that this would be flagged up top in the listing.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Huh -- looking at other listings for the same album on Discogs, there is one listed where the seller has a comment reading "PLEASE READ: Media is actually like new HOWEVER weird pressing defect LP2 IS SIDE 3 ON BOTH SIDES, even though label says otherwise...great collectors item."

Which if I'd bought that one, fair play, that's on me. But my seller didn't list this one that way. Well, I only just messaged him this afternoon, so I figure it's fair to take a day or two to get back to me.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

BigFactory posted:

What album is it?

Trouble Will Find Me

Assuming I know how to read a Discogs entry (which I'd like to think I can, but maybe not a fair assumption), I'm not seeing anything saying it's a known issue with the album in general.

Aside from being annoying for me personally, my kids are probably enjoying this because it's preventing me from playing Side 3 really loud over and over.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Sorry man, Graceless is a banger and they’re missing out. At least you got Pink Rabbits and Humiliation.

Yeah, if this wasn't happening I'd be singing "I Need My Girl" really loud and embarrassing my kids. What a bummer.

Assuming the seller works out a refund, it's making me a little jumpy about buying another copy. Is it fair to assume that if there are widespread misprinting issues with this specific release there would more written about it in comments on Discogs?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Send a message before paying asking the seller to check and any good seller should accommodate no problem. Also my guess is the seller will ask you to return it and then refund in full when they get it back, I think paypal can cover your return shipping.

Thanks -- that's good advice.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
My Discogs seller who sold me the misprinted copy of Trouble Will Find Me issued me a refund immediately and apologized -- said he'd never listened to the album. I appreciate the prompt resolution of the whole thing. Now I guess I'll see if anyone else selling one on Discogs can confirm side three exists.

Or see if I can find it locally. I feel like I might be able to spot the misprint visually since the grooves in sides three and four on my disc look completely identical, which I imagine won't be the case on the correctly printed version.

Thanks all for the advice on this above.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Ahahahah Funko Pop owns Mondo now ahhahahahahhahah

Speaking of, just got an email from Mondo about my order of The Queen's Gambit soundtrack, which I guess finally shipped, and the email says:

"One of the reasons this project has been delayed is the incredible non-traditional packaging that the records are housed in. Alan Hynes’s design is stunning in person, and we can’t wait for you to hold it in your hands.

One thing to note when you open the record: the shrink-wrap seal is on one of the angled corners, so be extra careful when you open it so as not to rip it!"

Not sure I'm excited about "non-traditional packaging" -- hope it fits on my decidedly traditional shelves with all my traditionally packaged records. I just want to listen to it, not be stunned by packaging I have to worry about ripping.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

CaptainBeefart posted:

This Sun Rah cover album is really loving good.

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Stopped by a local record store on Saturday and made these two un-planned pickups:

The second Yaz album is better than I expected, although nothing with Alison Moyet's voice on it was ever going to be less than good. I'm not familiar with much of the Slum Village album, so need to spend some time with that.

But then a college buddy sent me this for my birthday, and I don't think it will be coming off the turntable any time soon:

I had pretty much resigned myself to never getting a copy of that. Pretty psyched, and have now turned up the stereo to window rattling levels and am just playing Soft Serve repeatedly.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Nice. Seven's Travels is such a great album.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Was visiting family in LA in July and did a little record shopping, which offered more interesting options than I'm generally finding in Virginia, including this weird album mashing up Pharcyde and Tribe Called Quest which I found at Amoeba, and while I'm immensely pleased to listen to it (the mix of Bonita Applebaum and Passin' Me By in particular is amazing), I'm not really sure how such a thing can be sold:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Barry posted:

Hell yes those are all great. I haven't listened to that Jens Lekman in a while, going to fix that

I was excited to find that one -- my kids are going to get tired of me playing "Your Arms Around Me" and pointing out to them how it's a song about kitchen safety. The whole pressing is great -- nice packaging, sounds good.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

midge posted:

VMP release of Jailbreak arrived today. It's loving stunning in person, sound quality is amazing. VMP can be hit and miss, but if you're into this album I highly recommend picking it up

Sweet. Wasn't aware of that being out there, and one trip to the VMP website later, a copy is on the way. If it only it had arrived at the beginning of the summer, so I could blast out The Boys Are Back in Town as the greatest start of the summer anthem of all time.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
VMP's offerings don't usually tempt me, but the reissue of Jailbreak was too much to resist:

And with it the greatest sticker I have ever received with an album purchase:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

midge posted:

Glad you like it man. Thanks for making me go through my trash! I missed the sticker!!!

My kids always take the stickers that come with album purchases and put them on their laptops, but I snagged this one for myself.

God this album is great. It keeps feeling like it should be descend into silliness and Lynott doesn't let it. It just sound great -- like how I want songs to sound. I love it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Does VMP still require you to subscribe to be able to buy any of their stuff? They have some albums I'd like, but I'll never join a sub service again.

I bought Jailbreak without being a member, and I think I paid some premium above what a member would pay -- it was $39, and presumably less if you're a member -- but I was definitely able to buy as a non-member. I don't know if there are other things that only members can buy -- it's the only thing I've tried to buy from them.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Stopped by a record store in Old Town Alexandria I'd never been to before, and picked up these, which will scratch a Wes Anderson-ian itch and fill a Pretenders-shaped hole in my shelves:

And noticed as I was checking out a sign by the register noting the whole building was being demolished next year, no doubt to make way for expensive townhouse like seemed to be around the rest of the area, so they're looking for new space (or, I imagine, will cease to operate a store after that). Which was a bummer.

And just had this arrive in the mail from Lithuania, which is the first time I've ordered anything from overseas on the Discogs:

My favorite song of that album, and I'm glad to find the single as the album is outside my price range by a fair bit. And with dollar so strong against the Euro, decided to pull the trigger on a Therapie Taxi album I'd been wanting for awhile but couldn't find domestically. Eagerly awaiting that.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Took advantage of the dollar being strong relative to the Euro to pick up a Therapie Taxi album that hadn't previously been at a price where I would pull the trigger:

The seller shipped DHL and man, that's a sweet way to get a record across the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone who had "Teenage Engineering makes their own lo-fi record cutting machine/record player" on their bingo card can check off that box:

https://teenage.engineering/store/po-80-record-factory

The cost of music gear must have broken my brain because my first reaction was "that's kind of inexpensive."