Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I want that Zappa thing a lot. Congrats, man. I'm also trying to get my hands on most of his original albums. Especially since he remixed all the CDs and stuff.

But, hey, vinyl thread. Are those record cleaner systems worth it? I've got some spare cash and I'm thinking of getting one. I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HFMTARFWTF4M&coliid=I1FKNXG96GIO9M since i've seen it recommended before. But is there another option? Possibly one that doesn't cost me a dozen records?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Just buy the loving spin clean.

That looks to be the plan. Those DIY solutions are cool, but I don't really have any of the tools to make something like that right now.

That 750 american dollar vacuum cleaner thing existing makes me upset.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

got my zappa 7". didnt get my sunn ra release. got to see grown people angry about a one direction album. my store had quite a bit of what you guys missed, bummer.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

WASDF posted:

There is nothing dumber than colored vinyl and colored vinyl that costs more than black vinyl. Kill all labels who release haze blood or beer colors. This is a revolution.

You can pry my blood splattered NoMeansNo Wrong from my cold dead hands.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

this starts with circus music so im all in for the album. thanks for this, man.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

As long as they sound better than the Tomahawk lps. They were absolutely rubbish sounding.

could you elaborate? I was thinking at some point in the near future I would blow some cash on that RSD Tomahawk collection box set. I have a 7" that sounds fairly good.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

I bought Closure in Moscow's record from your horrible country for entirely too god drat much money. It blew me away, to be honest. Great album though.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Boinks posted:

Did anyone else get anything good from Half Price Books 50% off coupon on Saturday? Here's what I picked up for $3.50:

I bought some of the more expensive Omar Rodriguez records I've been wanting, so that was nice. 50% off is baller as hell and it took a lot of effort not to hit up the 6 or 7 that are within reasonable driving distance of me.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

As white as the grubs feeding on your corpse.

Well that confirms I'll be buying this come January.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

"Omar Rodriguez Lopez Quartet - Sepulcher (gross purple)" I will this from you tonight if I don't already have it. I get the cover art for it and another Omar album confused. I'll shoot you an email too.

Also, what color Bosnian Rainbows album? I might grab that too.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

WASDF posted:

Here's the list! They're all conditionally superb unless stated.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez Quartet - Sepulcher (gross purple)

This arrived today. Hassle free, no damage, listening to it right now and it sounds great. Thanks man!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Subpop and whoever I bought my converge Live at BBC record have sent me candy before. Didn't realize this was such a widespread thing.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

looks cool enough if you just want a turntable that looks alright in your apartment i guess.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Is it worth it if I'm mostly into modern stuff? I like older acts too, but not too awfully much. There's a good several of records I want from acts I really like, but I'm not sure on it's sustainability of it(ie even if people keep making records none of the people I like will).

It's fun if you dont like having money or space in your home.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

My mom on the other hand was way too into Barbara Streisand.

This is the essence of inheriting a collection.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone

Seconding this. There's a live concert video on youtube thats pretty slick as well. Mush-room is also an interesting, newer album by them. 2013, I think?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Detective Thompson posted:

Got a bunch of stuff in the mail this week. Also, Imgur seems to have cut off the sides of the gatefold pics after I edited them for some reason.

Dead to a Dying World - Litany. Blackish apocalyptic doom from Texas. Has viola in it. I like this album a lot. I think it's a big step-up from their first one.

God drat Tofu Carnage does baller rear end packaging and pressings.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Wronkos posted:

I'm in Dallas for a few weeks visiting my parents over the holiday break, and since they've just moved here, I decided to check out some of the local shops. The first one I went to was Josey Records off I-35, and I was not disappointed. They have a really large selection of used rock, soul, funk, etc, but what I was really impressed by is their classical stuff. I ended up spending most of my time (and money) in that section of the store, with the exception of finding Duke by Genesis and In Our Lifetime by Marvin Gaye. Here's some of what I bought today:

Hit up the half price books in richardson. A couple months back they got like 300 classical records and I think I'm the only one thats ever bought them. They were 1 to 3 bucks, in real good condition and with outer sleeves on.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

ill buy the zappa thing because i like owning as much zappa crap as possible. but that list is super disappointing. I didn't even notice any garbage 80s movie soundtracks on it?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Jehde posted:

:master:

Still looking out for the top-left one, at which point I'll probably pick up the top-right one as well to round out my GY!BE.

They're both on amazon (with random awesome price drops). Unless you're looking for a specific version?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

SeXReX posted:

I snagged Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots from that gohastings sale and when I opened it up the record itself was inside a generic white sleeve along with the empty printed one.

I've never seen this in any of the handful of new records I've got, is this something that happens or was there some weird mixup?

Baroness did this with Purple too. Seems like it might protect the graphic sleeve during transit?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

this will be cool to find in a bin for $2 in a few years.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

do picture disks sound lovely? I don't actually own any

they're the loving worst in my collection.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed,_Unshaven_and_Misbehavin%27:_Live_Infinity

This is probably the most irritating record I've heard of. "The vinyl is unique in the way it is played. "Jim Fear" begins like a normal 7" but ends on a locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Destro's Secret" plays from the inside out and ends in the locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Sandbox Magician" begins like a normal 7", however "The Mullet Burden" begins slightly after the starting point for "Sandbox Magician". The EP comes with a sheet explaining the procedure required to listen to all of the tracks."

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

n/m, for some reason I thought the album with Big Business had two bassists and two drummers

Their new album Basses Loaded has 2 or 3 for some reason.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Because after they fired Kevin Rutmanis, Buzz and Dale decided to just use guests. Hence using Trevor Dunn on Freak Puke, JD Pinkus on Hold it In, and that dude from Redd Kross on 3 Men and A Baby. I think Basses Loaded is different bassists on different tracks rather than multiple bassists on individual tracks, though

For some reason I was thinking it was on individual tracks. Either way I'm hype for it.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Ballz posted:

My Mother 1 soundtrack now has a mate.

:ducksiren: 16 bit vinyl :ducksiren:

Looks good. They've only got the black left now, should have bought when i first saw the announcement. I didn't think they'd sell out on all the color ones!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Limited edition pressing of 100 for the US tour out of 500 in total.

Last night's show was a goddamned massacre, it was so good.

That's cool. How was the show? I'm up in the air on going to see it when it comes to town.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Ok so I'm confused. A few pages back there was a link to Constellation's website with GY!BE's f#A#∞ reissue that had "1997-1998" debossed next to the album name. Is that how all reissues are? And if so, why is mine different?

I just checked my copy (same reissue) and it doesnt have that year emboss either. :shrug:

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Barry posted:

I tried to give Not Available a listen and it's now more obvious than ever that I'm just a verse-chorus-verse philistine because I could not make it through more than the first two songs or so.

try demons dance alone, its much easier listening. as far as the residents go anyway.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Is this the same as the existing 90s release? Except cheaper? Which is surprising for a Mondo release...

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

I meant modern stuff mostly.

Big rear end art, posters, novelty, colored stuff, other gimmicks and a handful of artists will master for vinyl.

Collect everything on every medium. CONSUME.

Edit: I have a promo cut of Apostrophe by Frank Zappa. When I added it to discogs it had a slightly higher value. It seems to vary.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

I don't even really like Weird Al and I want that. This is how I know record collecting has broken my brain completely.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Not even as a kid? That doesn't make any sense.

Never liked song parodies, really. Weird Al doesn't make me reach for the Aux cable or anything, just not my thing. To be fair, Weird Al impresses me more than most "original" artists and Amish Paradise is hilarious.

Elrobot posted:

it was cool when Wierd Al got to tour Europe for the first time because GS!YBE invited him to ATP

I love GS!YBE so this is awesome.

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 14, 2017

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I was really loving nervous about this because the original composer quit last year and was replaced with Eric Drew Feldman

I didn't know this. Is the only original Resident left at this point Homer Flynn?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhut up.

Yes. Although EDF's been playing with them sine the '80s and Nolan Cook's been on board since Wormwood. OH! Plus they brought back Carla Fabrizzio for the new single and that's loving great! It's kind of like how the "new guys" in Kraftwerk have been around since the '80s.

Oh that's cool and close enough to original imo. I wonder sometimes if they'll ever break down the 4th wall and write a book or make a movie about their career without all the pretense.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

So many brass soft jazz solos lost to the pokemon bleep bloops.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Geoff Zahn posted:

The only good vidjeagaem soundtracks are Halo and Red Dead Redemption, and only because I bought both on a whim and now they are worth $90 and $220 respectively

Red Dead is basically a Friends of Dean Martinez album and accordingly does not belong in the Bleep Bloop comedy record bin.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Schremp Howard posted:

Are you moving or just temporarily hauling stuff around? Last time I moved I put everything in those reuseable grocery bags that most places sell and it went pretty easily. Much better than boxing and lifting.

I have two bags of lovely records I keep meaning to sell in bags like this. I use them as weights to do curls with sometimes. Works great and they cost a buck, definitely would recommend for transporting.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Mt. Modular posted:

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

It looks like Gorillaz Demon Days is going to be album of the month for April. I've never subscribed before, but $23 seems like a better deal than some of the crazy prices on original copies or bootlegs.

I always just assumed this was still in print. Wonder why they let it drop off but kept the first album and Plastic Beach going.

Boinks posted:

Some new pickups from over the weekend

Hell yeah. I love poo poo like this.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

That album has to have been pressed in every possible vinyl record color at this point right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006