Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Has anybody found any good record/record player a/v furniture?

I'm looking for something that can hold receiver, turntable & records along the lines of this:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/drew-and-robyns-smart-and-sunny-logan-square-graystone-house-tour-206951#gallery/47877/6

or this:
http://www.atochadesign.com/products/the-open-close-cabinet

but ideally something slightly more reasonably priced than the second.

Anybody have a good solution that would look good in a mid-century decorated living room? (Ikea, while perfect for other rooms of our house wouldn't make sense in this room)

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BigFactory posted:

I turned up several sites that sell them with one google search. Look for 12" generic jacket. Amazon has them.

Not exactly rocket science.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8CWZQZD219Q5JD4

I just picked up the new Aphex Twin album, Syro and it basically is just 3 of these sleeves.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

strap on revenge posted:

went to see Jakob last night and picked this up. it's the cleanest 50/50 colour split I've seen so far and 45 rpm sounds awesome

wow, I had to look that up... really like them, I listen to a decent amount of mainstream post-rock but hadn't heard of them. It looks like everything that Sly Vinyl presses is pretty beautiful, I might have to order some stuff from them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

strap on revenge posted:

this one is from the Mylene Sheath. if you only listened to stuff from the Sines record check out Solace

Ahh so sly vinyl is just reselling, not pressing?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

strap on revenge posted:

I can't see it on Sly Vinyl apart from a post that redirects to the Mylene Sheath store. They are sold out of the two rarest variants (the orange/red/black haze and the white label with unique sleeve) but they still have copies on black and red/orange here

strap on revenge posted:

I can't see it on Sly Vinyl apart from a post that redirects to the Mylene Sheath store. They are sold out of the two rarest variants (the orange/red/black haze and the white label with unique sleeve) but they still have copies on black and red/orange here

Gah, I've been listening to solace on spotify and really enjoy it. Wish they still had the split color ones available like you got, still tempted by the red/orange but a little less so.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

trdn89 posted:

A heads-up for any other Chromatics fans itt: Italians Do It Better is putting out Running From The Sun (a bunch of unreleased songs from the Kill For Love sessions) and Drumless (drum-free versions of a bunch of songs from Kill For Love) via their BigCartel.

(side-note: holy poo poo, wtf happened over at IDIB? Mike Simonetti leaving that label is like Brian Eno leaving Roxy Music; hopefully everyone involved can sustain the extraordinarily high standards of quality they're known for.)

Hadn't heard about this, pretty crazy though. I live in Portland and used to see IDIB shows pretty regularly when glass candy and chromatics were first taking off. Used to actually frequent the bar that Ruth was a server at. I'll have to check out the new material, thanks for the heads-up

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
hahaha, what? I love The National but that's some total MOMA level bullshit and perfectly sums up what I think is just batshit about modern art.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
well poo poo... apparently I already missed out on the special edition vinyl colors of the new John Carpenter album. Still might have to pick this up

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr123-john-carpenter-lost-themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNuWCjc-bg

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Recent Pickups:

Sorcerer OST by Tangerine Dream. I had just gotten around to watching the movie and like a month later I found it in a new arrivals bin
Thin Lizzy - Still Dangerous (live in Philadelphia 1977) I'm on a slow quest to acquire all things Thin Lizzy vinyl
Daft Punk - Discovery (just one of those classics I finally got around to getting on wax)
John Carpenter's Lost Themes - local record shop had it and I'd just been considering ordering it so it was a no-brainer.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

This makes me very very happy. Will definitely be getting moon safari and virgin suicides, probably will have to pick up 10000 Hz as well

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CPL593H posted:

Also, why do reissues of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd even need to exist?

so the handful of record stores that are still in existence can continue to pay the bills by selling new pressings I'd imagine?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone with Vinylmeplease membership tell me how they like it? seems a bit like a novelty to be paying nearly full price for albums that are random every month but I was super jealous when I found out they did a rad purple vinyl pressing of Sabbath's Paranoid a month or so ago.

Or if this has been discussed ad nauseum just point me in that direction and I'll see myself out ;)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

savesthedayrocks posted:

I had it for a couple of months, but eventually cancelled. I guess it depends on how much you are willing to pay for records. I set up a budget per month and was finding I couldn't get both the subscription and still hunt down ones at my local shop.
It was nice to get some albums that I didn't know about, but don't let the cocktail recipe convince you that you are paying less for the record. For instance, I want the nada surf album, but I'm still not sure I want to pay $28 for it.

yeah, the Nada Surf album has me wanting to get in on it but maybe I can just offer my friend to buy it off them. There must be a good number of people out there looking to offload stuff they don't care about too right?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

wa27 posted:

I took a trip to Denver this weekend and stopped by a record store. It really makes me wish I lived in a big town. I think the nearest record store is 100 miles away from me.

Anyway, I picked up a couple records I've been looking for forever. $7 for the two:

I've never read up on the history of Scandal, but it seems crazy that their whole output was only one EP and one LP. Not even a failed followup album after that. I assume Patty Smyth just went on to other things soon after.

And my Chromatics package arrived today, finally:

Not pictured is the extras they sent: two posters, two glossy 4x6 color photographs, and a couple CDs from Johnny Jewel and some other artist.

The Chromatics records look and sound great! Not bad for ~$37 shipped. Highly recommended.

Well those are beautiful... still strange to me how well they're doing for themselves. When they were first starting out Ruth was a server at this bar in town that we went to all the time. Awesome they're able to keep doing what they love (making music presumably, not working at restaurants)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

sporklift posted:

When you blindly accept 200 free records....

Or does this go in the cursed image thread?

Been kinda fun digging through this stuff but holy poo poo 12in club singles from the 80's are the loving worst.

:laughing: will happily take that two hearts beat as one single off your hands. I saw them perform 2 hearts live in NYC a few years ago, they've only performed in a handful of times since '89.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
vinyl storage question... I'm hoping to build some very shallow shelves for displaying records in my living room. Would having records in the sleeve at a very shallow angle like this be damaging to them? I figured I'd rotate out what's on the wall every month or two just based on what's in heavy rotation.

this is more or less what I have in mind:
https://www.wearewellmade.com/shop/visible-vinyl-wm

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Barry posted:

If you want to save yourself $20, this is an option: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40291766/

I painted mine the same color as my wall:

ahh, good to know... nah, I'm going to make them myself out of Walnut so they match the rest of my furniture and are purty. Just wanted to make sure it isn't bad for the vinyl, the bulk of my collection will live in a media credenza I built recently.

sporklift posted:

I will send it your way if you wanna pay the shipping (US only). Little dirty but plays fine. Cover seams are all unglued and edges are rough.

*Edit

It seems to be this version...
https://www.discogs.com/U2-Two-Hearts-Beat-As-One-Club-Version/release/4156544
but with the french cover. Dunno.

awesome, happy to send you some money for postage, I'm sure it's not worth a ton but always looking to grow my U2 vinyl collection with things I don't have. mind emailing me your venmo/squarecash/paypal? justinkent -at- gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to make some record shelves/ledges for displaying albums in heavy rotation on my walls. Can anyone tell me if there's any concern for storing records in sleeves at a slight angle like this for a number of months potentially? Hoping to be able to use it as wall art but not have to worry too much about if I forget to swap them out for a while.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/458571612/vinyl-record-ledge-record-shelf-vinyl