Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

How is there still more content in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Adelheid posted:

How is there still more content in this game?

Tales of Vesperia is really good

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

This LP will never finish.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:stare: It's been two and a half years since the final boss was beaten and this LP is still going. I think that this, more than anything else, is sufficient to dissuade me from trying to LP Zesty.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
To be fair, Admiral Curtiss could end this LP whenever he wants to.

The fact that we're still getting updates is pretty impressive though.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
100% completion ends on the achievements list.

This... This is insanity.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:stare: It's been two and a half years since the final boss was beaten and this LP is still going. I think that this, more than anything else, is sufficient to dissuade me from trying to LP Zesty.

I found it more amusing that page 74 had three different years on it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Isnt vesperia by and very very very far the largest and most content filled, hidden or otherwise, tales game ever made?

iirc Zestiria is positively tiny by comparison.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 8, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isnt vesperia by and very very very far the largest and most content filled, hidden or otherwise, tales game ever made?

iirc Zestiria is positively tiny by comparison.

The PS3 version is, at least. Graces f probably comes really drat close, though; too bad it isn't nearly as good a game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah, Graces is smaller. Also definitely better on the battle system side.

Symphonia and Abyss feel similar in scope to Vesperia, but I never did an actual comparison or anything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Nah, Graces is smaller. Also definitely better on the battle system side.

Symphonia and Abyss feel similar in scope to Vesperia, but I never did an actual comparison or anything.

I should check a word count for my Symphonia LP vs this. People were like "LOL you're doing Symphonia as your first LP" but I did it. I almost want to redo it since the first half of it was done with a loving terrible setup, but :effort:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Team Symphonia shoves tons of poo poo in their games, but I think the shorter development cycles for recent Tales games has been cutting down on the weird extra content

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's a few achievements/trophies in the game that I never really found a good place for, so here they are.

I'll also note here that all the achievement/trophy images I use are the PS3 trophy ones. The 360 version just uses a generic gold trophy icon for all achievements.

Achievement/Trophy:

Too Much Free Time

You get this one for reaching a playtime of 100 hours.

Achievement/Trophy:

To Points Unknown

This is a really dumb one which requires you to travel a total distance of a hundred kilometers on the world map. This takes forever and you won't get even close on a regular playthrough. In the PS3 version they halved the distance, but also added a teleport feature to Ba'ul so you'll still not get it naturally. If someone has this they almost certainly rubber-banded their controller and left the console running for a few hours.

Achievement/Trophy:

Grand Battles

A fairly simple achievement for fighting a total of one thousand encounters.

Achievement/Trophy:

Piggybank

For having ten million Gald at once.

Achievement/Trophy:

No More Grinding

For getting every character to level 200, which is the maximum level. If you have the 10x EXP bonus from the Grade Shop you'll get this naturally while you complete the bonus dungeon(s), otherwise you might need to grind a bit.

Achievement/Trophy:

Back Up Plan

For saving at every save point in the game. This is a rather annoying one since nothing tells you which save points you've already saved at, and some save points disappear or become inaccessible as you progress through the story. You might get lucky and just get it naturally, but if you don't, it's very annoying to track down the missing ones. They made it even worse in the PS3 version by adding a whole bunch of save points in the Necropolis of Nostalgia, which all count towards the achievement, which basically means you can't skip floors. Great.

Achievement/Trophy:

Low Level Challenger

You get this by finishing Chapter 1 of the story (that is, the Barbos fight in Ghasfarost) with a party of characters which are all level 15 or below. As far as I can tell, this is impossible unless you buy the Half EXP or Combo EXP Grade Shop option, so you have to do it in a New Game+.

Achievement/Trophy:

Speedster

This is for finishing the game in fifteen hours. Really easy in New Game+ with the Grade Shop, and even easier in the PS3 version with the option to skip cutscenes.

Achievement/Trophy:

They Call Me...

You get this by collecting all Titles for all characters. Since many titles are tied to sidequests, including the "fill the monster book" and "fill the item book" ones, this is basically the achievement for 100%ing the game.

Achievement/Trophy:

Vesperia Master

And of course, we have an achievement for getting all other achievements. In the PS3 version this is the Platinum trophy.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 5, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

These skits have been changed in the PS3 version of Vesperia. Lines that have been changed or added are highlighted. The majority of the changes aren't very interesting and are only provided for completion's sake.

Battle:
The Invincible!
The Strongest Guild
Enjoying Victory
The First Sign of a Cold?
I Want a Shower

Cooking:
All for You...
Rita's 3-Second Cooking
Again...?

Chat:
Likes and Dislikes
A Town Grows Ever Stronger
Gone...?
Just a Little?
An Ancient Relic
Getting Lost
Beautiful Coral
Really, Truly Finished
Joy and Sorrow on the Waves
The Romance of the Sea
Favorite Places
Where You Want To Be
Around the World, Thanks to Karol
Ba'ul's On His Own
Home, Sweet Home
The Mystery of the Wonder Chef
Voyage of the Scurvy Dogs

Scenario:
Aer Krene
Duke
What They're After
The Great War
Meeting the Kritya
Payback
Just Who Is Duke?
Raven Was...
Zagi
Tougher to Get By
Where To Next?
The Lower Quarter Is Safe
Estelle Comes Back
Fighting Alexei
Glad Yuri's Safe - Women
The Adephagos Revived
The Hunting Blades
Telling of the Changing World
The State of the Union
Ready for the Final Battle - Men
Ready for the Final Battle - Women
Aurnion's Spirit
The Ancient Civilization
The Blade Drifts of Zopheir

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

And here are all skits that are new in the PS3 version. A few of those have already been shown in the main LP.

Battle:
Together We're Invincible!
Aim for Greater Heights
Randomness is the Best Part
Patty's Form Change
Kind Man
Stay Close, Flynn
Telescope of Pride
Final Trump Card
Unexpected
A Whimsical Outcome
Skill is Part Luck
Yuri and Flynn's Artes
Rebirth of Siren's Fang
Something Significant

Cooking:
No Sense of Taste
Patty Plays for Keeps!
Favorite Now and Always
The Thrill of Cooking
Authority of the Party

Chat:
Happy Birthday
Sentiments Towards the Knights
The Bon Festival
Not Like a Knight
Repede's Happi Coat
Wonder Patty
Hunting Blades Boss' Challenge
Silver Canine
Winter Fashion Show
Ohma
Spiral Draco
About the Necropolis of Nostalgia
About the City of the Waning Moon
Estelle's Prayer
Graves Aren't Scary!
Why Make a Tomb?
Fairy Tale Costumes
Dahngrest Walker

Scenario:
Don Whitehorse
The Old Man's Merry
Pledge of the Union
After Barbos!
Awkward Atmosphere
Sin
Harder Than a Sucker Fish
A Maiden's Heart
Heroic Karol?
Sharp Intuition
Searching For Treasure
Skull Monster
Aifread
Amnesia?!
Patty and Repede
Where's That Treasure?
Oden
Mystery of the Sands of Kogorh
Promise with the Old Man
Wanting to See the Don
Spitting Image
The Pledge
Krityan City
Raven's Thoughts
About Entelexeia
Judith's Thoughts
Confidant
Stupid Conversation
Judith's Childhood
Working With Entelexeia
Alexei's Plan
The Apatheia in Alexei's Hands
Truth of the Weasand of Cados
Patty's Encouragement
Tense Mood
Patty's Troubles
Titles
The Mobile Fortress Heracles
Traveling with Flynn
Which is Real?
Alexei and Heracles
The Adephagos?
An Entrusted Wish
Captain's Dignity
As Schwann
Sodia and Witcher
Gratitude to Ioder
Overthrow Alexei!
The End of Leviathan's Claw
The Maris Stella
Patty's Treasure Hunt
The Secrets of Yuri
The Secrets of Yuri - Part 2
Quiet Resolve
As Aifread
Symbol of the Great Pirate
Towards the Final Battle
The Knights' Struggle

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 5, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Eventually you're going to run out of content to find hidden somewhere in this game" - all of us in 2014

and here we are in 2016 and you're proving us wrong, again. :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well, it's been almost two months since the last update and I haven't seen anything new, so I think we're actually finally done here.

Thanks to everyone who stuck with me despite my sporadic and, by the end, glacial update schedule. I hope you enjoyed reading this LP and learning about pretty much everything in Vesperia.

I'll do some cleanup on a few updates, and then it's off to the archives with this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

holy poo poo it's finished

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i had my money on the forums dying first tbh

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
FF7 and now Vesperia. I feel like an era is ending.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The sheer weight of this LP will break the archives.

Good on you man. What a marathon of an LP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good bye the Sign of Victory.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
And hello from the archives

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Reaching the archive in such a state of completion is the truest Sign of Victory.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Cake Attack posted:

i had my money on the forums dying first tbh

I had my money on the heat death of the universe first.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
This LP is gonna be impossible to top without an English version of the Playstation; even with one, it would be scary to even try.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Congraduations on finally finishing this Admiral H. Curtiss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Admiral Curtiss said he was going to 100% Vesperia and by god he's going to 100% Vesperia.

edit: Congrats on completing the LP! You almost finished it before t he FF7 LP was completed too! :yotj:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 21, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's not a whole lot, but Vesperia does have a couple unused voice clips intended for cutscenes. Since I think it'd be a shame for some of those to never get heard by anyone not messing around with the game data, here it is!

In story order:

VS05_061: A single line from Yuri that goes between the Lord of the Plains event at Deidon Hold and the first encounter with Kaufman.
VS09_013 and VS09_014: Alternate takes for the Halure tree healing FMV. These seem to exist for every FMV with dialogue, which makes me believe they had them scripted with in-engine textboxes before the FMVs were in place.
VS10_003: A single line from Estelle when entering Aspio for the first time. This was replaced with the "It's because the city is in a cavern." line.
VS10_500 and VS10_501: Instructions to Shaikos from Rita. This feels like it fits somewhere around here, but Yuri's reaction is odd.
VS12_024 and VS12_025: Estelle asking Rita about the thief they caught in Shaikos. This belongs between Rita's "you sure made yourselves at home" and Yuri's "sorry for suspecting you" in the scene after getting back to Aspio from Shaikos.
VS15_162: A yell from Yuri, for the Azure Edge he uses to break down the cell door when confronting Ragou in his basement. Odd that they didn't use this.
VS17_152: Odd line from Cumore. Right after his "Now die like the flies you are!" and before the Schwann Brigade's arrival when you encounter them in Caer Bocram.
VS19_516: A grunt from someone in Dahngrest right before the monster alarm sounds.
VS19_040: A yell from Flynn when he arrives in Dahngrest, right before Estelle notices him. This doesn't really fit into the final variant of the scene, so I see why this went unused.
VS21_174 to VS21_181: Lines for every party member for the Barbos battle. They seem like they would have been used in a short mid battle conversation similar to Yeager's. I'm unsure if these can be actually triggered in the battle somehow depending on your party composition, but I suspect not.
VS23_050 and VS23_051: Unused yells from knights for Phaeroh's attack on Dahngrest.
VS23_073 and VS23_074: Alternate take for the FMV on Dahngrest's bridge.
VS23_500: Repede noises without context.
VS27_177: I think this is a noise from Regaey when he steals the Clear Ciel Crystal box.
VS27_204: Estelle wondering about the contents of the Clear Ciel Crystal box. This was replaced by her "Just what was the clear ciel crystal?" line.
VS28_074 and VS28_075, VS28_076 and VS28_077: Arriving in the desert for the first time, right around here. These were replaced by a different and rather lengthy string of dialogue, from Raven's "Whoa... We made it all the way there?" to Rita's "Hold on. Are you seriously going?".
VS36_079: A line from the Don during the Don-Yeager confrontation, right after he says that it's daybreak now.
VS36_163: Alternate read of this Rita line, replacing "Altosk" with "the Union".
VS36_501: Crowd yelling "Don Whitehorse!". Presumably for his execution scene?
VS41_122: Near the end of the Yuri/Flynn confrontation after Alexei reveals himself, from Yuri. Interestingly, this line was ressurrected in the PS3 version.
VS44_186: Odd Yuri line that goes between this scene and this scene in the Heracles engine room.
VS45_017 to VS45_031: Alternate takes for the FMV where you attack Alexei in the capital by air.
VS49_064 to VS49_071: Unused Estelle party battle dialogue. This is actually referenced in the battle file but doesn't play for some reason.
VS49_099 to VS49_112: Additional dialogue and alternate takes for the FMV when rescuing Estelle. I actually like this one much better than the version they used!
VS50_231: Alternate read of of this Yuri line, replacing "this bunch" with "Brave Vesperia". I guess Estelle technically isn't part of Brave Vesperia, so the one they used makes more sense.
VS51_005: Nonsensical line from Judith when approaching Zaude. No clue what this was for.
VS51_200 to VS51_209: Alternate takes for the FMV after beating Alexei in Zaude, when the Adephagos appears. D.C. Douglas clearly had fun with this one.
VS55_526: Judith being shocked about Belius being reborn. Would fit somewhere around here.
VS59_165: This sounds like a Duke grunt at the end of the scene when Sylph explains his backstory. Maybe he was supposed to be offscreen, listening in?
VS64_070 and VS64_071: Flynn lines when talking to him right before the Flynn battle. The lines are sorta still in the game, but with different phrasing, and they don't have audio.
VS64_093: A Repede woof during the Flynn battle scene. Guess he was there at some point during development.
VS65_198 to VS64_224: Alternate takes of the ending FMV.

And a few sidequest ones:

VA050_020 and VA050_021: Two Yuri lines at the end of the first Duke sidequest scene.
VA011_001 to VA011_005: These are the first few lines of the Guild Quest chain. You can see them in the middle of this update. I wonder why they voiced these but not the rest of the scene?
VA022_083 to VA022_087: This is right at the end of this scene, which is part of the Fake Yormgen event required to unlock the Labyrinth of Memories. These few lines push you towards Nordopolica to continue the quest, but I can't really think of an event that fits, so I'm guessing that part was never finished.
VA042_030 to VA024_033: This fits in the middle of the scene after you beat Gauche/Droite, after Gauche's "We owe him our lives.".

If you're not listening to everything, at least listen to this magnificent Alexei laugh that I can't believe they didn't use.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I apologize in advance for not having real screenshots for these. I no longer have access to a hacked PS3. If you happen to and want to send me some screenshots, feel free to do so, I'll get them in here somehow.

Anyway, sometime late during our fan-translation project, not too long before we actually released the patch, I stumbled across the file that told the game which title slot maps to which title, and which costume that title uses. We thought it would be a shame not to do something with that, and it'd make for a neat hidden surprise, so we took a couple of the costumes that were in the game files but not actually attached to any obtainable title and attached them to a few titles that didn't have costumes before.

Yuri got the bulk of them because, for some reason, they left three costumes that were probably intended for Sassoon's title/attachment combining thing on the game disc but never used them.

One of them combines the Improvisionist costume with the ponytail hairstyle and the Devil Outfit attachment. We attached this to the King of Combos title.

The second combines the True Knight top half with the Dark Enforcer bottom half. We put this on the Legendary Swordsman title.

And the third one, the most bizarre of the three, combines the Certified Soldier costume with the Tank Top Lover headgear and also puts the Karol and Rita dolls that usually go on Repede on Yuri's shoulders. I'm kinda disappointed they didn't use this, to be honest! We put it on the Treasure Hunter title. Unfortunately, as we found out after we had already released the patch, the costume appears to be buggy and can freeze the game when loading a save where it's equipped. I don't know why. One can work around the issue by loading a different save first, and then loading the affected save from the in-game menu.

In addition to all of this, Yuri also has a cosume that is him just in a towel, with a naked top half. It's used during some hot spring scenes but you never really get a good look at it. We couldn't resist putting that on a title, so it went on Berserker.

You can also see Flynn in a towel in that screenshot above, which is also a costume. That one went on Emperor of the Night.

Estelle has that elusive dress she wears in the beginning of the game. This is actually already attached to a title (Mysterious Maiden), but there's no way to obtain that title without hacking your save file. We attached it to Noble Princess.

Similarly, Rita has the robe she wears the first time you meet her in her house. This is also attached to an unobtainable title (Researcher for Life). We put in on Master Mage. Additionally, there's a slight variation of it with the hood up, which is not attached to any title at all. That one went on Genius Mage.

There's a few more costume variations that are referenced in cutscenes (Mind-controlled Estelle, Judith with broken Dragon Rider helmet, plus a whole bunch of variants that seem to be identical to the regular costumes but with fixed equipment models) which I either couldn't get to work or didn't actually look any different from existing costumes, so those were not included.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 15, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

can't wait for the year 20XX where everyone plays fox to tas levels of perfection and the tales of vesperia lp is giving us updates reflecting on the meaning of haikus found by taking every eighth byte of the source code and reading it as shift jis

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

We made it, this LP has been archived! Thanks everyone who followed along over the five years, it sure had been a ride.

As a final farewell, here's a supercut of all the random party post-battle quotes in the 360 version. (Baldurdash) You may have noticed this on my Youtube channel a few weeks ago, but if you didn't, enjoy!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Congrats on officially completing the LP, I guess!

I've been meaning to mention that I rather like this LP. I've been reading it on and off for a few years (usually stopping around the point I was at; I somehow failed to keep up through the end of the game twice and finally only finished the game recently, 5 years after my first run stalled out) and it's offered some great insights into the game's world and characters. I'm kind of sad to officially see it done now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My god, Admiral actually stopped finding new things in it and archived the LP!

Congrats on finishing one of the more-liked Tales games dude!

• Locked thread