Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Glazius posted:

I guess that dragon idiot blew up the blastia that was powering the fountain back home, then?

He seems to attack wierd blastia like the barrier one on the road, not a bog standard one like the fountain one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
I'm guessing Patty was meant to be a callback to that pirate girl no one ever bothered using in Tales of Eternia.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Welp, I just beat the game. I'll be as vague to avoid spoilers as possible, but I do feel a little gypped in an odd way. END GAME SPOILERS WARNING regardless, so don't say I didn't warn ya.

So, the first of all I don't actually get to fight the formless terror from beyond space and time? Lame. Secondly, something really weird happened during the fight. I think I actually got a super awesome glitch, or else I am the luckiest SOB alive. So during his final form, he's busting out all his mad moves as per usual. The first time we fought he curb-stomped me after a twenty minute uphill slaughterfest due to whipping out some hitherto-unknown death spell or something, so I was pretty cheesed about that. I went out, leveled up everybody exactly once, so the whole party was about 69, save for Yuri who is level 70. I also swap out a certain archer for Repede, because I figured I needed a little more offensive might.

Thus, I attribute my victory to Repede's presence. Ya'lls say Rita is broken, but that dog may have literally broken the game. Why?

Because during his final form, whenever he used any of his super-moves--in fact, it may have been any of his artes at all, but I'm pretty sure I still took plenty of hits from his usual battery--but whenever he used any Mystic Artes or that poo poo, everybody took damage--EXCEPT for Yuri. Not once either, but every single time, including his ultra-super-secret-spoilery move. Yuri was standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM the entire fight and somehow, for some reason, he took no damage. At all. So, it was actually pretty easy to kick him to the curb, even managing to end the battle using my own Mystic Arte just to let him taste the bitter fruit of irony along with the steel of my blade.

I feel a little sad though, like I didn't quite earn the victory. I have no idea why Yuri became an untouchable man-god, impervious to all but the slightest of attacks, but the only theory that I can come up with is that Repede's presence and his sheer awesomeness as Man's Best Friend protected his bro and master and gave Yuri the courage and might to carry on and take no damage.

Good Dog. Best Friend.

Ending was nice too. I have issues that I won't discuss until we get there, but I thought I'd share my...unusual experience. Is there any other explanation for what happened besides a glitch? Other than my totally legit and awesome theory of course.

EDIT: Oh god it gets worse, unless this is supposed to happen one of a certain set of weapons just got boosted up strong enough to give Yuri 4000+ attack points. Have I broken the game or is this supposed to happen?

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 18, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I doubt you have it, but there's an arte for Estelle that makes someone temporarily invincible, I think you acquire it through the coliseum somehow. Anyway, there's also a Skill for Estelle that gives every temporary buff a chance to stick throughout the entire fight, which works on the invincibility. That's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: to above edit, you mean the Fell Arms? Yeah that's supposed to happen. Everyone else's weapon from that set should have the same effect, but it's based on the number of kills the character has done throughout the game so it might not be that high for the rest.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 18, 2011

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

Welp, I just beat the game. I'll be as vague to avoid spoilers as possible, but I do feel a little gypped in an odd way. END GAME SPOILERS WARNING regardless, so don't say I didn't warn ya.

So, the first of all I don't actually get to fight the formless terror from beyond space and time? Lame. Secondly, something really weird happened during the fight. I think I actually got a super awesome glitch, or else I am the luckiest SOB alive. So during his final form, he's busting out all his mad moves as per usual. The first time we fought he curb-stomped me after a twenty minute uphill slaughterfest due to whipping out some hitherto-unknown death spell or something, so I was pretty cheesed about that. I went out, leveled up everybody exactly once, so the whole party was about 69, save for Yuri who is level 70. I also swap out a certain archer for Repede, because I figured I needed a little more offensive might.

Thus, I attribute my victory to Repede's presence. Ya'lls say Rita is broken, but that dog may have literally broken the game. Why?

Because during his final form, whenever he used any of his super-moves--in fact, it may have been any of his artes at all, but I'm pretty sure I still took plenty of hits from his usual battery--but whenever he used any Mystic Artes or that poo poo, everybody took damage--EXCEPT for Yuri. Not once either, but every single time, including his ultra-super-secret-spoilery move. Yuri was standing RIGHT NEXT TO HIM the entire fight and somehow, for some reason, he took no damage. At all. So, it was actually pretty easy to kick him to the curb, even managing to end the battle using my own Mystic Arte just to let him taste the bitter fruit of irony along with the steel of my blade.

I feel a little sad though, like I didn't quite earn the victory. I have no idea why Yuri became an untouchable man-god, impervious to all but the slightest of attacks, but the only theory that I can come up with is that Repede's presence and his sheer awesomeness as Man's Best Friend protected his bro and master and gave Yuri the courage and might to carry on and take no damage.

Good Dog. Best Friend.

Ending was nice too. I have issues that I won't discuss until we get there, but I thought I'd share my...unusual experience. Is there any other explanation for what happened besides a glitch? Other than my totally legit and awesome theory of course.

EDIT: Oh god it gets worse, unless this is supposed to happen one of a certain set of weapons just got boosted up strong enough to give Yuri 4000+ attack points. Have I broken the game or is this supposed to happen?

With the right set of skills, Estelle can make someone permanently invincible.

And yeah, that's supposed to happen if we're thinking of the same thing.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I doubt you have it, but there's an arte for Estelle that makes someone temporarily invincible, I think you acquire it through the coliseum somehow. Anyway, there's also a Skill for Estelle that gives every temporary buff a chance to stick throughout the entire fight, which works on the invincibility. That's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: to above edit, you mean the Fell Arms? Yeah that's supposed to happen. Everyone else's weapon from that set should have the same effect, but it's based on the number of kills the character has done throughout the game so it might not be that high for the rest.

Yeah the others don't nearly compare, but I almost always play as Yuri. Does that stuff carry over to New Game + and/or do the values of the weapons continue to rise as characters get kills, or are they stuck at whatever levels they are at?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

Yeah the others don't nearly compare, but I almost always play as Yuri. Does that stuff carry over to New Game + and/or do the values of the weapons continue to rise as characters get kills, or are they stuck at whatever levels they are at?

The latter. You can continue to level it up in the New Game Plus, but it gets reset to 0.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007

UselessLurker posted:

I'm guessing Patty was meant to be a callback to that pirate girl no one ever bothered using in Tales of Eternia.

I used Chat from time to time. It helped that there was no romantic subplot with her, she hated that game's mascot more than Rita is freaked out by Repede, and Eternal Hammer is a hilarious skill.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Welp, I just beat the game.

I'm confused, did you encounter this "bug" against the normal final boss or The radiant winged one?

On a similar but related note, is it possible to trigger the aforementioned without having completed the game before? I was going to use this as a surprise for my housemates who've been playing coop.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

A jargogle posted:

I'm confused, did you encounter this "bug" against the normal final boss or The radiant winged one?

On a similar but related note, is it possible to trigger the aforementioned without having completed the game before? I was going to use this as a surprise for my housemates who've been playing coop.

The final boss's third form is only triggered if you have all the Fell Arms, NG+ or not, otherwise you only fight two.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I like Patty so far. She's a weird little girl who has poor social skills and sense of restraint and a crush on the main character. And really, the last one makes a lot more sense in this game than it would in most JRPGs. :allears:

Then again, I've always loathed the "I HATE CHILDREN CHARACTERS, ESPECIALLY LITTLE GIRLS. HATE THEM SO MUCH. THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY TEENAGERS/TWEENS IN GAMES DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THAT DEMOGRAPHIC. THEY SHOULD ADD FIVE YEARS TO EVERYONE'S AGE TO MAKE THEM ADULTS, THEN IT WOULD APPEAL TO MY DEMOGRAPHIC AND THUS AUTOMATICALLY BE IMPROVED BECAUSE THAT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE" bullshit, so I could just be warming up to her as a response to that.
That's just a generalization, though. Not accusing anyone in particular of that. It's just something that inevitably appears in JRPG LPs.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I've never heard anyone talk like that...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The "Add five years to a character's age" thing is usually applied to JRPG characters that are apparently supposed to be extremely accomplished fighters/soldiers/what have you, act and look like adults, but are inexplicably listed as 16 years old or some nonsense. It never really comes up with literal child characters.

That being said, I don't really care for Patty so far, but that largely because the central cast is so well characterized, and she seems completely tacked on and one-dimensional in comparison. Maybe she becomes more interesting later, though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I doubt you have it, but there's an arte for Estelle that makes someone temporarily invincible, I think you acquire it through the coliseum somehow. That's the only thing I can think of.

Actually, that arte is the best way you have to beat the coliseum for her magical girl title. I think you get it through the Halure quest.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Senerio posted:

Actually, that arte is the best way you have to beat the coliseum for her magical girl title. I think you get it through the Halure quest.

I still almost ran out of time using her on the 100-man version; I don't recall unlocking 200.. I did end up beating that with every character though...

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Small Frozen Thing posted:

That's just a generalization, though. Not accusing anyone in particular of that. It's just something that inevitably appears in JRPG LPs.

Thanks to Star Ocean 4, my first response to any stereotypical little girl character is to be thankful that they aren't Lymle.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Sorry, it was pretty late when I posted that.

Also, people are applying the "add five years" thing to actual child characters right over in the ATQ thread, so there's that too.

UselessLurker posted:

Thanks to Star Ocean 4, my first response to any stereotypical little girl character is to be thankful that they aren't Lymle.

Ah yes. Little miss "Even I cannot find something defensible about this" herself. :gonk:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Lymle was alright at first. Her VA was good and I kind of dug how she is actually like 17 but trapped in a five-year-old's body as a direct result of accidentally summoning [I]the loving Devil![\I], but she wears her welcome pretty fast. I liked her up until like the halfway point when she started getting a bit TOO chummy with the main character and the elf guy. :gonk:

Meracle is by far the worst party member, which is saying something because while this game has a cast that is competing intensely to be the best character, Star Ocean 4 has a cast in competition to become the very worst.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

Lymle was alright at first. Her VA was good and I kind of dug how she is actually like 17 but trapped in a five-year-old's body as a direct result of accidentally summoning [I]the loving Devil![\I], but she wears her welcome pretty fast. I liked her up until like the halfway point when she started getting a bit TOO chummy with the main character and the elf guy. :gonk:

Meracle is by far the worst party member, which is saying something because while this game has a cast that is competing intensely to be the best character, Star Ocean 4 has a cast in competition to become the very worst.

That's what happens in a JRPG originally intended to be a hentai game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

RentCavalier posted:

It would have been better if she, like, actually acted that way then. Not to mention they put away that detail in some menu option and never actually talk about it anywhere. Star Ocean 4 has a completely terrible cast, only rivaled by its story and cutscenes. Let's not talk about that anymore.

Update is coming up in a bit.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

... What? You've gotta be kidding me. That's... Is that true? That is truly, truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous. A fantasy.

... It just boggles the mind that that might be the case. I've never played the game, and that is just a ridiculous statement.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Watch the cutscene!

What the hell am I doing here...
Here we go...!
Whoa, hold it hold it hold it, I'm not ready--!!

Why are there so many? And they're all just cores.
I have no idea. We don't even have this many at the laboratory!
Could this be connected to the core thief?
Could be.
But I thought the one behind everything was a huge guy with one eye. That doesn't fit Ragou at all.
Then he might not be the only one pulling the strings. I wonder if the core from the lower quarter is here someplace.
Sorry, none of these are big enough.

I knew it. These guys are with the Blood Alliance. They're one of the five master guilds.

These guys are easy, nothing interesting.

Karol learns Lightning Wave, a wind/fire-elemental physical attack.

Are these guys connected to the blastia thief too?
Just what is the magistrate up to?

??? (inside): Out of my way!

Someone from inside opens the door, knocking Karol away.

Aaah!

Maybe I am...

You're quick and you've got guts, too. My arm's gonna feel that... Wish I had you in my guild.
How flattering.
But it's pushy guys like you I have to watch out for. Upsets the harmony of the guild, see? Nothing personal...

I did all the work you paid me for. Besides, the Knights'll be here soon. Rather not have those guys following me around. Next time we meet, you kids won't be getting off so easy.

Barbos runs off and boards the life boat on the side of the ship.

Zagi...! We'll leave the rest to you!

Zagi appears from the back of the ship.

You're the one from the castle!!
Looks like we're stuck with this guy.
My blade, it aches to...kill... I've got to kill something!

Zagi lunges at Yuri, he evades. Zagi smashes into some machinery.

Whoa... Go easy on me this time.

Boss battle time! Normal battle is in the cutscene video, and here's the battle where I finally get his Secret Mission.

Listen to the full conversation!

You think you can kill me? Go ahead, try it!
Trust me, I will.
Man, this guy's annoying.
We... we won't lose!
Yes! Cry out! Writhe in pain! Die for me!
What the hell are you trying to do?
Please, we have to catch Ragou...
Shut up and get out of our way!
Mwahaha, you can't hurt me!
So we'll just keep pounding you until the end!
I-- I'll finish you!
I can't believe I have to seriously fight an idiot like you.

Zagi's basic attack pattern is fairly similar to what we had back at Zaphias Castle, although a lot stronger and with a couple more moves. He's still pretty fast and can deal out damage quickly, so heal up when you get moderately low.

One of the new artes of his is Savage Flight, where he throws his weapon ahead, which then files back to him like a boomerang, hitting you twice.

Other artes include Falling Leaf, where he dashes through you and deals damage,

Charging Shockwave, similar to Yuri's Crushing Eagle,

and Light Spear, where he spins into the air, hitting everyone around him.

Oh, and of course, he can also do Over Limit.

The Secret Mission is throwing him off the boat, which is way easier said than done and took me several fights to get right. What I found works is:
- Get him to the edge of the boat.
- Do some standard upwards attacks to get him into the air.

- Then activate Over Limit. The shockwave from the Over Limit activation will throw him off.

Of course, he just jumps back onto the boat.

After a while, he, like anyone else, goes down.

Don't let me see you again!
I agree.

The Secret Mission reward is a Thief's Cape.

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 4

Some combination of our battle and Zagi crashing into whatever machine before it managed to set the ship on fire, though.

You put up a good fight.
...I-I retreated... ...Heh heh heh. Mwa hah hah hah hah!! You're tough! Yes tough! You're definitely tough! I certainly won't forget that, Yuri!

Mwa hah hah hah hah.

Zagi jumps off the ship.

Everyone into the water!

A voice can be heard from inside the ship.

Yuri runs inside to help him.

Yuri!
Estellise! No!
But...but...
Shut up and jump!

I am... But Yuri...

Yuri...! Thank goodness!
Man that's salty. I must've drank a bucket full.
Who's that?
Ioder...!
What, you know him?
Look, a boat! We're saved! Heeey! Over heeere!!

Wait, I'll pull you out. Sodia, give me a hand.

A short boat trip later, we arrive at Capua Torim.

Watch the cutscene!

Hey, who is this guy?
Um, well, you see...
I've made arrangements at the inn. We can discuss things further there. You'll come, won't you?

Skit: A Little Freaked Out
I thought you were done for when the ship sank with you still on it.
Seriously, I was pretty worried there for a minute. I'm glad you made it.
It sank faster than I thought it would. I was a little freaked out myself.
You almost died and you were just a little freaked out? There's something wrong with you.

Torim has a few things to check out. First off, this fish here is a Wonder Chef in disguise:

We can also enter the lighthouse to our left, giving us some tibits of information.

(Yes that is in the 360 version.)

Skit: Zagi
Yuri, you sure know a lot of strange people.
Like that Raven guy we met in Capua Nor, or that Zagi weirdo who attacked us.
"Weirdo" is putting it mildly. What's his deal, anyway?
That's what I'd like to know. It's nice to have fans, but this is ridiculous.
It looked like he went down with the ship, though... Maybe that was the last of him?
I don't know. Common sense just doesn't seem to apply to those kinds of people.
Man, I really don't want to see him again!
Well, even if we do, he'll be gunning for Yuri, not us. I've got nothing to do with this.
We'll deal with that when the time comes.

Another thing to look at is the headquarters of Fortune's Market, although Kaufman is currently out.

And that's it for now. Next time we'll accept Flynn's invitation to talk at the inn.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 23, 2016

Tiro
Jul 14, 2011

Between the above fight with Zagi and the earlier fight with Gattuso any desire I had to try and do all the secret missions on my first playthrough was completely shattered.

Even then, little did I know how insane some of the later secret missions could be. In hindsight, the two I just mentioned probably aren't as hard comparatively.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Actually, with the exception of one, much later, secret mission, only missions 3 and 5 are a pain. Though gently caress Gattuso in general.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ambrotos posted:

Between the above fight with Zagi and the earlier fight with Gattuso any desire I had to try and do all the secret missions on my first playthrough was completely shattered.

Even then, little did I know how insane some of the later secret missions could be. In hindsight, the two I just mentioned probably aren't as hard comparatively.
Yeah, these two are tricky but there was only one that I really truly hated and couldn't do without a walkthrough. But the reward is so worth the trouble.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There's also one coming up that requires a specific character and is also a pain in the rear end.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

What. You cannot be serious.

. . . Can you?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Elric posted:

What. You cannot be serious.

. . . Can you?

Things like that have been known to happen.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
There's another one later on that doesn't seem to have any sense of consistency to it and all of my numerous attempts to actively make it work failed horribly, but just giving up and letting the AI beat up the boss worked almost right away. It's the one with Gusios and just trying to constantly hit him from behind to make his loving tail retract failed horribly every time when I tried it myself.

The one SM everyone dreads does have an unintuitive trick to it that makes it much easier to do, but good luck figuring it out since it goes against the entire concept of it. And the one after it doesn't really take much skill to do, but whether or not he becomes vulnerable when he's supposed to is entirely random and attempting to do it during the first playthough has an extremely high chance of having you run out of items in the process.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

A whole bunch of Zagi's moves are either carbon-copies or cheap knockoffs of Repede's loadout. This brings to mind that either Zagi knows what true awesomeness is and is emulating it, or that these are the moves used by every psychopathic killer, and Repede is going to murder everyone else in their sleep at some point.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Or Zagi and Repede both trained under the same dog martial arts master.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress Zagi's secret mission. Trying to get that thing cost me an hour of swearing, which my housemates made fun of me for later since they could apparently hear it across the entire drat house. Something along the lines of "Goddammit Zagi you loving rear end in a top hat, get off the loving boat already! No. NO. ZAGI. OFF THE BOAT. NOW. rear end in a top hat."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Get him against the edge of the boat, hit him with Crushing Eagle, and then immediately pop Over Limit. Over he goes!

Too bad I didn't figure this out until my second go-round.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can also Over Limit when he does Cyclone Shot and you're against the rail.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, you don't get to Hero Time around as Yuri, busting the door open and saving the prisoner in slow motion?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I did not expect the crew to just jump on board like that. That made me laugh when I saw the cutscene. Zagi's secret mission seemed pretty obvious because really, if the battle boundaries are so close to the edge of the boat, who wouldn't try to knock someone off? Although the execution looks like it's a big pain to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oxxidation posted:

Get him against the edge of the boat, hit him with Crushing Eagle, and then immediately pop Over Limit. Over he goes!

Too bad I didn't figure this out until my second go-round.

Fang Strike works too and doesn't require you to be level 20.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

RentCavalier posted:

Lymle was alright at first. Her VA was good and I kind of dug how she is actually like 17 but trapped in a five-year-old's body

You mean like Shelke? Or that one anime that got into a lot of trouble because it featured a naked underage character? What was it called, Dance in the Vampire Bund or something like that?

Either way, that type of character is just an excuse to insert a loli into their story but somehow justify it. It's not cool at all.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I feel it is worth noting that they all pronounce ioder as yoda.

This made me do a double take first time, grew to amuse me rapidly and then got old when other people started making jokes about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
What? No they don't... They clearly pronounce the "er" part.

• Locked thread