Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

resurgam40 posted:

... Okay, I think I've got it: Repede is Yuri's teacher in Glorious Assholism.

Either that or Repede likes cleavage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
When you play this game you don't realize how nice the animation in the game is and also the graphics as well, being 3 years old at this point they're both still outstanding!

And Judith is a blast to play like Admiral says, totally different than the others but the computer will gobble up her TP like no ones business and previously noted. Also getting her also leads to one of my favorite after battle quotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frCJzyL7STo

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I have to wonder whether the "dual wield a sword and axe" thing is a reference to Dawn of the New World, which was in development at the same time and featured a character who did that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, that will be explained in more detail.

On perhaps an unrelated note, is it a special theme of the Tales series that technology comes with a terrible price that isn't obvious to anybody, or is that more of a universal thing? Not much difference between a mako reactor and a mana cannon when you get down to it.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

thecallahan posted:

Also getting her also leads to one of my favorite after battle quotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frCJzyL7STo

That was just great right there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KDavisJr posted:

Either that or Repede likes cleavage.

No, because he also seems to like Rita, even though she's terrified of dogs.

Repede's probably just a dick.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I always assumed Repede didn't like royalty.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oxxidation posted:

I think you mean 'because', not 'even though.'

The_Great_Danish
Mar 26, 2010
I didn't like Judith at first. I saw her design and thought she would be nothing but a massive pair of tits with two legs and no character development.

I didn't really get how good the game's writing was just then.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The_Great_Danish posted:

I didn't like Judith at first. I saw her design and thought she would be nothing but a massive pair of tits with two legs and no character development.

I didn't really get how good the game's writing was just then.

This was not an unrealistic expectation given how JRPG's tend to go, in your defense. I'm looking forward to seeing how they go with her, since I've never played this.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Oxxidation posted:

Oh darn. I kinda liked the idea of Repede being a badass dog who is also a perv.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

That was just great right there.

It's also not the last time we'll see Estelle's "boob envy". :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It says a lot about the cast of this game that Judith(/Estelle/Karol/your choice of them), who is arguably the worst written character of the main seven in the 360 version, is still much better written than 97% of JRPG party members.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

It's also not the last time we'll see Estelle's "boob envy". :v:

When I saw that for the first time, I think my jaw dropped to the floor. I just could not believe that Estelle would say something like that so explicitly.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

thecallahan posted:

Also getting her also leads to one of my favorite after battle quotes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frCJzyL7STo
This is the best thing I've ever heard.

Judith's probably the only party member I didn't have any real opinion on because I never got to see her in game when I was playing with friends save for maybe once or twice when they wanted help on a save file further ahead (none of them are fond of the game's AI) and I'm glad to see that so far she's as awesome as I've been hearing.

Also I definitely need to second the comment about the game's animation. It's just fantastic. I was looking at footage of Xilia recently and I was pretty disappointed to see that game's graphics just did not look as nice as Vesperia's (in my opinion anyway).

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Holy smokes, this game/LP is alot better than I was prior led to believe. Rather than repeating what's already been said, though, I was morbidly curious. Are there any *actual* katana that Yuri/Estell can equip in the game? All his artwork features him with a rather simple sword design and that wasn't even his starting weapon... though they kinda did that with Lloyd, too. His starter weapons were wooden versions of the artwork swords he had.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

TKMobile posted:

Holy smokes, this game/LP is alot better than I was prior led to believe. Rather than repeating what's already been said, though, I was morbidly curious. Are there any *actual* katana that Yuri/Estell can equip in the game? All his artwork features him with a rather simple sword design and that wasn't even his starting weapon... though they kinda did that with Lloyd, too. His starter weapons were wooden versions of the artwork swords he had.

There is exactly one katana that Yuri can equip, it is good but nowhere near his best weapon. That being said it is also a very important weapon for plot reasons.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I can only think of one important plot weapon and it's not a katana.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There is a katana, but it's just a weapon. No real significance.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Some Numbers posted:

There is a katana, but it's just a weapon. No real significance.

I think it has Combo Plus 2, so it's kinda significant. :v:

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

SpazmasterX posted:

I think it has Combo Plus 2, so it's kinda significant. :v:

It also has Special, just in case for some reason you didn't get it with the first weapon you get with it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait...that was a katana? I was thinking of a totally different sword.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Some Numbers posted:

Wait...that was a katana? I was thinking of a totally different sword.

Pretty sure. I can't say for sure that it had Combo Plus 2, but I do know that the only katana that Yuri uses does indeed have Special.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, to put this all to rest, I just checked on my copy.

There are two katanas. One is a totally normal weapon with Super Chain 5. The other is sort of plot related and has Special and Combination 2.

The real plot related sword is not a katana and the sword with Combo Plus 2 isn't either.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, to put this all to rest, I just checked on my copy.

There are two katanas. One is a totally normal weapon with Super Chain 5. The other is sort of plot related and has Special and Combination 2.

The real plot related sword is not a katana and the sword with Combo Plus 2 isn't either.

Yeah I meant that second one since I think it is the one Yuri has in all the pictures everywhere. Also the one with Super Chain 5 is really quite good, I think, and I was purposely avoiding mentioning that other sword with Special for big old spoilery reasons.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

In this room, we can find a few more treasure chests before confronting Barbos, two of them containing weapons:

EXP Share
Item Thrower
Hunter
: Increases damage given to and decreases damage taken from aerial enemies.

Spear Master: Increases magic defense when a spear is equipped. I have no idea why this is magic defense and not, say, attack power.
Resist: Magic Defense +5%.
BA Force: Increases effectiveness of Burst Artes.

Just a bit up from the save point, we can find an elevator that takes us up to the top.

Watch the cutscene and battle! (Recommended for battle)

Hey, the core in that sword! Is that the core to the aque blastia.

These fools don't know when to give up. Capua Nor, Dahngrest, and now all the way to Ghasfarost! I've always hated kids.
Barbos, this has gone on long enough. Save what's left of your honor and give up!
That's right, you're finished.
Oh, this is far from finished. I put 10 years into building Ghasfarost Spire, and while it stands, nothing can stop me! And with that man and the empire wrapped around my finger, I was able to build my magnificent blastia.

To avoid the explosion, the party jumps down to another platform.

Barbos follows.

Then the empire is next! With this power at my disposal, the very world will be mine! And I'll start with you. Be gone, worms!

That sword is gonna be a problem.
Problem? Is that thing even legal?
It is very powerful.
Gah ha ha!! The blastia seems to be working just fine!

Several explosions appear in the background.

What...?!
What's wrong?
Heh, you haven't won yet.
All right, playtime's over! Time to wipe Dahngrest off the map, and you along with it!

Get down.

What happened to not having any time or interest?
Hey, that's...!
Rita, never mind that!

Looks like the tables have turned, Barbos.
...So all that fancy wisdom and the power of the blastia were nothing but a sham...

Should have known from the start that I'd have to depend on my own strength. Take up your swords!
You know, he was so much easier to deal with when he was all drunk on power.
Yeah, there's nothing worse than an enlightened idiot.

...and his Blood Alliance!

As soon as the battle starts, Barbos calls in a bunch of his Blood Alliance members. They're nothing special, but especially the mages can get annoying if you ignore them.

Listen to the full conversation!

Go on, get out there, kill 'em!
I'm gonna take you folks down!
Give up and receive your due punishment, as the law demands!
I will put an end to your evil dreams.

You little punks are nothing to me. I'll squash you like bugs. Then I'll squash the Union, and rule the world!
That's a nice dream. I'll make sure it doesn't happen!
Even dreams need a little reality. Otherwise things just end bad.
We will stop you, no matter what!
Woof woof!
Silence! Now know the true power of Barbos the Stormblast!

Barbos is a pretty fun boss battle, he's fairly strong and has a couple neat attacks. However, at the start it's probably a better idea to get rid of the other enemies.

Another thing you should take out are those glowy orbs on the side of the battle area. Destroying them redacts the bridges those Blood Alliance guys came in on, and is also this battle's secret mission. Apparently Barbos can call more enemies when you leave them for long enough but I've never actually seen that.

Be careful of Barbos attacking you from behind while you do this though.

Destroy all three, and...

Alright, with that taken care of, let's take a better look at Barbos' attacks:

Sadly I don't have a better shot of this, but Head Shock seems not all that powerful, although it does stun.

I have no idea why he has laser eyes. But he does!

Hell Hammer is just an uppercut.

Jump Hammer knocks you down if you stand under it when he does it, so don't.

Hammer Roll is probably his most annoying attack, if you try to stand back up (via Recover) while you're below his area of attack it'll just hurt and knock you back down, so you have to wait it out.

Rita learns Tractor Beam here, which is a cool Arte in theory, it takes enemies in a certain radius and lifts them up into the air, but it kind of sucks in practice since it interrupts any combo you might have had against the enemies it hits, and there's nothing more annoying than getting your combo interrupted by your own party members. I tend to turn it off.

After a while, he'll go down.

Stay down.
It's over. Accept your fate!

Secret Mission reward is the Knuckle Duster, which I'm pretty sure is the exact subweapon Yuri currently has anyway. Oh well.

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 7

That's it, Barbos. It looks like you were the fool who didn't know when to give up.
Urk...Ha ha ha. Perhaps you are right.
Then you'll surrender...
I...I won't be humiliated any more than this. ...Yuri, was it? You remind me of Whitehorse in his youth... You're his spitting image.
Hope you're not saying I'm gonna end up like that old man. Not exactly something to look forward to.
Like the Don, sooner or later you will make great enemies in this world. ...And then that world will consume you whole.

And with that, we've cleared Part 1! One down, two to go!

Achievement/Trophy:

Recovered the Aque Blastia

Join us next time for Part 2!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 13, 2016

rubythunder
Feb 20, 2011
Well he does have a mechanical eye it seems. What does it say on the trophy/stamp there?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

rubythunder posted:

Well he does have a mechanical eye it seems. What does it say on the trophy/stamp there?

I think "Vesperia".

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

rubythunder posted:

wdarkk posted:

I think "Vesperia".

Yeah, that's what it says. The trophy number is also "51", as though you really needed to be told. What's odd, though, is that there are only 50 achievements in the 360 version, according to GameFAQs. I'm gonna boot up my 360 and take a look.

EDIT: Yeah, it's only 50. Did the PS3 version add a few?

Materant fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 29, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Materant posted:

EDIT: Yeah, it's only 50. Did the PS3 version add a few?

Yeah, there's two new Secret Missions, one Trophy for beating the new bonus dungeon, and one gotten through a new minigame. That makes 54 Trophies in the PS3 version. They also tweaked some values for unlocking them, for example for the To Points Unknown achievement, which was adjusted to half the distance needed.

I should probably go back and include the trophy images for the achievements we already got so far into the older updates, since they're actually quite nice to look at, unlike the 360 achievement images which are just bland.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Heh, To Points Unknown, otherwise known as the put a rubber band on your controller and go to sleep achievement.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... I have no idea where the story will go from here, which is interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw. I was hoping there'd be a crazy boss fight with a flying chainsaw. But I suppose it was pretty spectacular all the same.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We are approaching my favorite scene in the game.

Can I make an attachment request?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
So, if I have this right.... a blastia owned by a kingdom --which cares little for its lower class-- that is deigned suitable to just purify their frikkin' water supply is also powerful enough for this rear end in a top hat to power and operate a flying-gently caress-chainsaw-sword with frikkin laser beams?! Jeebus...

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
If I recall right, his sword actually had several blastia, the blastia from the lower quarter was just one of many, not the only thing creating the magic chainsaw flying sword.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Alright, here's the achievements/trophies we got so far:

Achievement/Trophy:

Eureka!
(synthesize your first item)

Achievement/Trophy:

Little Mad Scientist
(synthesize 20 items)

Achievement/Trophy:

First Strike
(do your first non-tutorial Fatal Strike)

Achievement/Trophy:

Big Game Greenhorn
(defeat your first Giganto Monster)

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 1

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 2

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 3

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 4

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 5

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 6

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 7

Plus the Recovered the Aque Blastia one from the end of the last update.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

We are approaching my favorite scene in the game.

Can I make an attachment request?

I'm not sure if I can get access to another shop before that scene, so you might not. fakeedit: Actually I might be able to go back into Ghasfarost and use that shop, gotta check that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That part right there, that's the last boss you have to beat before you can use items again. You still have to wait for the skit, mind, so if you're not careful... "Hey! I beat Barbos, now I can use items again!" and then you wait for a skit that'll never come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not sure if I can get access to another shop before that scene, so you might not. fakeedit: Actually I might be able to go back into Ghasfarost and use that shop, gotta check that.

If I'm recalling correctly, you can duck into one of the Dahngrest shops before triggering the scene.

• Locked thread