Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yaeger really ought to have had that "Y" replaced with a "J." For example, that was one of things caught and corrected in the localization of Valkyria Chronicles. Yaeger is the Americanized form of the name, Jaeger is about as close to the original as you can get without umlauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Should have defeated Yeager with the power of Red Bull.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That redhead that appeared with Yeager is voiced by Laura Bailey.

This means that the entire main English cast of Nier is in this game. Which is neat, they're good actors.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

KDavisJr posted:

There's some backstory to that. Not going to say what, partially because it's kinda spoiler, and partly because I forgot.

It's also a sidequest!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yaeger really ought to have had that "Y" replaced with a "J." For example, that was one of things caught and corrected in the localization of Valkyria Chronicles. Yaeger is the Americanized form of the name, Jaeger is about as close to the original as you can get without umlauts.

There's almost a reason they went with this spelling, though.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I liked the way the writers lampshaded Yeager's improbable German accent.

Also, am I the only one that finds Yeager deciding to make 2 little girls his top lieutenants a little creepy? :pedo:

I assume they're some sort of artifically created magiassassins or something, because you don't just find killer identical twins named 'Right' and 'Left'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amidiri posted:

I assume they're some sort of artifically created magiassassins or something, because you don't just find killer identical twins named 'Right' and 'Left'.

Don't underestimate parents of twins. One of my high school yearbooks had what I assume to be a pair of fraternal twins named Dominick and Dominique.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For some reason I have the image of Yuri gradually throwing bigger and nastier objects to get people's attention, right up to embedding a knife in the last boss's forehead. (who laughs it off because, well, last boss)

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Not to spoil, but I think this game's last boss is really cool. That is all.

Also who's not to say gauche and droite aren't codenames?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Solid Snake she ain't. Maybe Stealth 101 is the one book in the castle she hasn't read yet.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing the Why of Estellise revealed. :allears:

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
So Raven has a bow that collapses into a sword, and now Yeager has a scythe that turns into a crossbow? JRPG logic dictates that they must either be brothers or have trained under the same master, but since it's this game they probably both just have the same arms dealer or something.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 21, 2011

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Eeevil posted:

So Raven has a bow that collapses into a sword, and now Yeager has a scythe that turns into a crossbow? JRPG logic dictates that they must either be brothers or have trained under the same master, but since it's this game they probably both just have the same arms dealer or something.

Following JRPG logic, nothing says it couldn't be all three! :v:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

DrakePegasus posted:

My impression of Yeager so far leads me to see him as the most terrifying thing imaginable: a Bond villain who's genre-savvy.

:stare: Dear god that's terrifying!

Lunar Suite posted:

Solid Snake she ain't. Maybe Stealth 101 is the one book in the castle she hasn't read yet.

Well Yeager isn't exactly you average Metal Gear Solid enemy mook(ie. he isn't stupid).

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Waffleman_ posted:

That redhead that appeared with Yeager is voiced by Laura Bailey.

This means that the entire main English cast of Nier is in this game. Which is neat, they're good actors.

And then Yeager himself is voiced by Spike Spencer who was also in Nier and involved with Laura Bailey's character.

Goddamn, I thought it was just a detail I made up hearing about before but then I looked it up and nope. That really is him. Wow.

...also, wasn't Estelle's voice actress Devola and Popola in Nier? God that's almost the whole cast, not just the main cast.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I actually saw Spike Spencer at a con recently. I asked him about Yeager's accent; he explained that he was asked to try for German, and that's what they got. Fun guy.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Not sure if you guys know, but the reason they made Yeager have a german accent is cause in the Japanese version Yeager speaks English, and obviously making the English version they had to make him sound foreign so...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I find most roles by Spike Spencer hilarious because no matter the voice, I just imagine Shinji Ikari saying the lines.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I find most roles by Spike Spencer hilarious because no matter the voice, I just imagine Shinji Ikari saying the lines.

*Imagines Shinji Ikari saying Yeager's lines* :roflolmao:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonvuabitch, I'll never be able to unhear that. I'm not sure if I should :swoon: or :argh:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

*Imagines Shinji Ikari saying Yeager's lines* :roflolmao:

Yeah, it's best when he's doing roles that are so fundamentally different from Shinji, like Arakune or Tyrann.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Cumore really needs a sense of fashion. That getup looks terrible. Is that man-cleavage he's sporting? (Funny, his VA also did the voice for another villain with man-cleavage in Altlier Iris 2.)

Yeah, Liam O'Brien is pretty good at the "creepy+effeminate man" voice.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

I know we haven't been gone for long...but I have to say, it still feels good to be back.
Should I get you pansies some tissues? Or can we go to the inn now? I'm sooo hungry!
All right, all right.

But before we go to the inn, we can talk to the woman over here to activate a sidequest.

What's the matter?
Woman: The shaggothim flowers are only supposed to open during the rainy season, and yet, look! They're already in full bloom!
That sounds pretty weird...
Woman: I know, right? I wonder if someone's been coming here and watering the ground, or something...

Another cause for flowers blooming early could be an imbalance in the aer.
So you're sayin' that this place...?
It's okay. Even if my guess is right, this level of aer imbalance can occasionally be found in nature. Plants are simply more sensitive to changes in the surrounding aer than humans, and they're reacting to that.
We wouldn't wanna have what happened in Heliord happenin' here...

I can't believe that dragon freak would do this again...! I'm going to go see...!

Dragon freak, huh...

Huh? It wasn't you?
I plead the fifth.

Rita comes back.

It was terrible... There was nothing left for me to fix.
I'm sorry for your...loss.
Urgh... The next time I see that freak, I'm going to punch him into the stratosphere!! Stupid dragon freak!
Whoa, scary.

It's not causing any of you any trouble, is it? I already told you. I'm not going to do anything that would cause any of you harm.

Might as well do some synthing at the shop too.

Reflect: Reflects a small amuont of damage back onto the enemy.
Roll: Halves damage taken while staggered.
Anti Element: Occasionally halves damage taken from elemental attacks.

Guard Artes: Quoting myself from earlier: "Cancels guard motion and performs an arte. Invincible to attacks for a short period of time." I assume this means you can use Artes out of a guard but I can't say I've ever tried.
Guard Plus
Guard Reflect
: Reflects 1/5th of the damage taken during guard.

Half Damage
Quater Damage
Minimum Damage

This weapon is every item collector's bane. There's only one Karolian Hammer in the game, the one Karol starts with, and it can be synthed into both this and the Karolian Sword. If you pick this, cool, you can synth this into the Karolian Sword as well. If you pick the Sword, you cannot get the Karolian Hammer +1 until a new game plus. This was fixed in the PS3 version by allowing you to synth Karolian Hammers.

Recover
Taunt
Evade

Alright, now it's time for hearing Raven out.

Fun fact, if the story demands you to stay at an inn but you don't have enough money (like me here, since I spent it at the store), it'll just take the remaining Gald you have and let you rest anyway.

Watch the cutscene!

Then the Don knows that I'm a candidate for the imperial throne too.

Really?
What...? Is it just me?
Anyway, here I finally catch up with ya and I wind up stickin' my foot in that mess back there. It hasn't been easy for old Raven.
...But why worry so much about Estelle?
It's only natural considering the state of things between the empire and the Union.
Each side is trying to feel the other out. The Don just wants to keep track of their movements.

Yes.
Do you know what sort of place a desert is?
Well it's hot, and dry, and they've got a lot of sand there.
That's putting it lightly. It's not as easy as all that though.
Our plan is to get to the area together first.
And then?

...I don't even know where to begin commenting on that plan... So it's not just that you don't want to go back to the castle anymore, right?
Um...well.
It'd be easier on old Raven if you did, though. I'm just sayin'.
No. I'm sorry, but I have to know the truth behind Phaeroh's words...
Huh. Well the Desier continent actually suits me just fine.
Why is that?

Have to deliver a letter to Belius.
Whoa, that's pretty important.
That's the boss of the coliseum and ruler of Nordopolica, isn't it?
Technically speaking, he's called the Duce.
Do you know what's written in the letter?

In particular about that Phaeroh chap you all are followin'. The Don thinks Belius will know somethin' about that monster.
Looks like it just became worth our while to pay this Belius a visit too.
Right.
So if ya don't mind, Raven here'll just tag along with ya.
That's fine. But you'll have to follow the laws of Brave Vesperia.
Got it. It's not like I can go joinin' your guild, ya know. Ya understand.
Why can't you join Brave Vesperia?
It's against the rules for anybody to be in two guilds at the same time. And I guess technically speaking, you are a member of Altosk.
Whaddya mean "technically?"

Okay.

Rita leaves the room.

What...what do you think Rita's going to do?
Hmm, what indeed.
Does this mean we're on our own until we leave tomorrow?
Yeah. We'll all meet down at the harbor then.

We now get the option to talk to all our party members again. Karol's right next to us, so let's start with him.

Mmm... I don't know if I like you calling me that.
The boss is the boss! What would you have me call you instead?
Just call me...whatever you called me before. This "boss" thing seems a little over the top.

Don't you think you'll get used to it?
Well, maybe...
Well, you know way more about guilds than I do, right?
I guess... The boss of a guild has to stand as a role model for everyone else. I wonder if I could be that great of a person...?
Come on, it's not like you're expected to be the best boss ever from the very beginning. You can take it a little at a time. For now, our guild has a job to complete.
You're right. First we need to take Estelle to meet Phaeroh... ...But do you think we'll be able to meet him?
Our guild's job is to figure out a way to meet him. If we can't meet him, we won't get our reward, and people will lose confidence in our abilities. That's all there is to it.

It's more of a challenge that way. And our reward will be that much bigger, too. ...Let's make the best of it.
Y-yeah...

Rita's in the inn's other room.

Yeah, I guess so.
Didn't that thing say that Estelle was an insipid poison or something?
Yeah, I heard.
After something like that I, guess you can't just tell her to forget about the whole thing. But it won't help her if she uses that as an excuse not to deal with the issue of the succession to the throne.
Yeah, I'm worried that might happen.

Yeah, maybe.
But...!

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.
It was her decision. We have to let her figure out what she should really do.
You realize it might come to blows with this Phaeroh guy, right?

She's not going to die. That's why I'm going with her.
Argh, have it your way then!

Estelle's outside, staring at the sea.

Whenever something or someone catches my eye, I forget all about everything else... I really lose sight of everything I was planning on doing beforehand.
Yep, that's about right.
I came to my senses after Judith told me. Until now, I've been dragging the rest of you around with me like there's no tomorrow...
Hey, it could be worse. If you were empress, one word from you and the entire empire would run off to do your bidding!
Yeah, hmmm...

Oh yeah?
I've been able to see all sorts of new things. I still don't know whether I'm going to take the imperial throne, but... There are still so many things left to learn about in this world.
And Phaeroh's one of those things?
...It scares me to think about it, but... I have to know who I am. I have to know what he meant by saying I was the "insipid poison of this world."
It sounds like you've made up your mind.
Yuri?
Hmm?
I might end up trying to order you guys around again.

Heh, sure. It's not the sort of personality trait that's easy to fix by yourself. Though there's another guy who's also a tough nut to crack, so I think we'll let him be the one we vent our frustration on.
Well, I'm going back to the inn. I'll see you.

Raven's down at the harbor.

What, you ain't happy?
Well, I'm not exactly jumping for joy.
You're too glum. Lighten up!

That was only because you had to. I still haven't forgotten what you did at Nor Harbor.
You still remember that? Some people just don't know when to give up...
I'm not about to make a list of all your offenses. Saying that I'd rather not have your company on our trip is already more than enough.
Don't worry, don't worry. I'll be on my best behavior! I behaved myself at Keiv Moc, and at Ghasfarost, didn't I?
Yeah, that sure would be nice.
What should worry you more is whether or not these ol' bones will be able to keep up with you young'uns for much longer.
You plan on sticking with us until Estelle goes back to the castle?

Sounds like a tough job.
I wonder if I could hand her over to the Imperial Knights somewhere...
I can see it in your eyes, old man... you're thinking bad thoughts again.
Nah, not at all!
Well, it's really too bad that you're going to be travelling with us, but might as well make the best of it.
Whaddaya mean "really too bad?" Hmm, well, whatever. Anyway, Raven the Great is going back to the inn. Later, boy.

If we attempt to leave town, we run into Judith.

Nah, just going on a walk. Where were you?
Just out for a walk, like you.
What you said to Estelle earlier hasn't been gnawing at you, has it?
What I said earlier?
Didn't you say some pretty harsh things to Estelle...?
Oh, right. Sorry to beat you to the punch like that...
What? You didn't beat me to the punch on anything...

What, you figured it out? You don't have to apologize for something like that.
All right...
So you weren't going off to look for Cumore after feeling bad about hurting Estelle with what you said?
No, I wasn't.
Hmph...
You don't believe me?
You care for other people's feelings a lot more than you let on, I think.
No, not at all!
Well, whatever.
What about you? Aren't you going out to look for him?
I told you already. I'm just going for a walk.

And Repede's right outside the inn.

I said that I will deal with things in my way of doing... But I let Cumore escape that easily. What a shame. I don't know how I could explain this to Flynn...
*Whine*
I know I know. We have guild's job to deal with rather than Cumore.
Woof!
Yeah... I can't just let him loose. Men of his kind will never learn and will always repeat the same thing forever. I'll have to do something. I left the Empire and formed a guild for this kind of purpose.
Woof!
He will get what he deserves.

And that's everyone. Time to rest.

The next morning...

Watch the cutscene!

What should we do about Rita?
That one has her own matters to attend to.
That sounds about right.
So, first to the harbor and then find a boat?

Huh? You mean...

Yeah.
Wasn't there something you had to go do?
You were going to investigate the aer krene, weren't you?
It turns out the one at Keiv Moc the Commandant asked me to look into has already been researched. I hadn't really made up my mind about which route to take to research the others.
So you'll be using us to help with your investigations?

Anyway it'll be safer for me this way than going alone.

This means we'll be able to travel together again. I'm so happy.
Yeah, I...um. You know, it's no big deal. A-anyway, we were going to the harbor, right?
Ah, ta be young again, I tell ya.
You got something you want to say?!
Whoa! Down girl!

And that's it for today. Next time, a little more excitement as we get ourselves a boat.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 9, 2016

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I plead the fifth.

So, they have the Bill of Rights in the Tales games, eh?

Interesting...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
As far as I know that's just a localization quirk, the original line being something more generic.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
For some reason, Rita smiling is extremely unsettling. Like, I got shivers down my spine.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Lance Streetman posted:

For some reason, Rita smiling is extremely unsettling. Like, I got shivers down my spine.

Yeah, as I recall, the first time I saw this scene she was so... Cheerful. It was rather creepy.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
gently caress that hammer. New Game++ ahoy!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was thinking this whole guild thing might, like, open up some sidequesty goodness for us at some point. Is that not the case or is it just not worth showing?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Technically speaking, he's called the Duce.

This bugs me a little. Early on, everyone calls the Duce a 'he', but after reaching Nordopolica, everyone starts calling the Duce a 'she' and nobody comments on this.

Was the Duce supposed to be male or female in the original Japanese?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Glazius posted:

I was thinking this whole guild thing might, like, open up some sidequesty goodness for us at some point. Is that not the case or is it just not worth showing?

There's some guild-related sidequesting later, but not right now. There's no actual "guild-system" or whatever where you can accept quests though, it's just some normal sidequests that really could have been done in the same way if there wasn't a guild.

RelentlessImp posted:

This bugs me a little. Early on, everyone calls the Duce a 'he', but after reaching Nordopolica, everyone starts calling the Duce a 'she' and nobody comments on this.

Was the Duce supposed to be male or female in the original Japanese?

I'm fairly sure Belius is always supposed to be female. Wouldn't surprise me if the original Japanese used some grender-neutral stuff in the early scenes so the localizers translated it as "he" and only later realized it should be "she" but didn't go back to fix the old lines, or didn't remember, or already had the VAs record the lines or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 27, 2011

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm fairly sure Belius is always supposed to be female. Wouldn't surprise me if the original Japanese used some grender-neutral stuff in the early scenes so the localizers translated it as "he" and only later realized it should be "she" but didn't go back to fix the old lines, or didn't remember, or already had the VAs record the lines or something.

It's probably because they used gender neutral pronouns because they wanted the player to think she was a he until the meet her, which is a somewhat common thing done in anime.

Unfortunately there's just no way to translate this to English except using the wrong pronoun, then switching.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah but the thing is they switch to the "she" before they actually meet her.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

YamiNoSenshi posted:

gently caress that hammer. New Game++ ahoy!

yeah :smith::hf::smith:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

TenjouUtena posted:

It's probably because they used gender neutral pronouns because they wanted the player to think she was a he until the meet her, which is a somewhat common thing done in anime.

Unfortunately there's just no way to translate this to English except using the wrong pronoun, then switching.

I don't know if there's some upcoming lines which couldn't be made ambiguous but certainly Karol's line here could be and the rest of this conversation is, as you suggest, seemingly intentionally ambiguous already because they just say 'Belius' all over the place (which is what the Japanese does (and, I'd guess, will continue to), because they just hate pronouns in general)

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Rita darling you are trying way too hard. Stop it, this cheerfulness is just too unnerving coming from you.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Zebrin posted:

Yeah, as I recall, the first time I saw this scene she was so... Cheerful. It was rather creepy.

So I see I'm not the only one! Maybe her true feelings are surfacing a bit?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Haha, I like Raven poking fun at her crush on Estelle.

Also, Yuri and Judith playing Badass Stoic Chicken.
"I don't care."
"I don't care even more."

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Last time we were about to go to the harbor.

On the way there, we run into Ioder.

Watch the cutscene!

Oh, Ioder...

So what's a successor to the imperial throne doing in a place like this?

Is it going well?
Well...I wish I could say it were going better.
I can imagine. That Heracles monstrosity kinda made the Union really not like the empire.
Yes, and now, prominent members of the empire are voicing their doubts regarding the friendship treaty.
The conditions the Don gave the empire were for a treaty of equality, after all.
And they are certainly not on equal footing with something like that.

You didn't know about that thing? You're in line to be emperor!
I know. But I have no authority over the Imperial Knights.
"The Imperial Knights act on orders from the emperor alone. They do not report to anyone else."
Well, then, it's easy. Just become emperor.
...You mean...
Becoming emperor isn't as simple as that.
Why not?

But Dein Nomos went missing around the time of the Great War, ten years ago...
Hmm, so that's the real story why we still don't have an emperor...

What was that, Yuri?
Forget it. It's nothing.
Anyway, is it really okay for an imperial candidate to be wandering the streets like this?
I was just on my way to Heliord.
Ah, that is closer to Dahngrest than this place is. Negotiations would probably go smoother there.
I believe so, too.

If you'll please excuse me...

Interesting, but not particularly relevant to our current objective. I'm sure we'll get back to that though.

Down at the harbor, we can see and hear some people running way.

Watch the cutscene!

2nd Guild Member: I wouldn't do that even if I had nine lives!
What's going on?

Add the Indigo Beasts to the blacklisted guilds!
Kaufman's Bodyguard: Yes, Madam President.

Yeah, that's her all right...
Wh-why do you guys know her?
We just met her once a while back. She a friend of yours?
I wouldn't say I know her. She's the president of Fortune's Market, one of the five master guilds.
In other words, she's one of the top dogs of the Union.
Humph...
Hey, I just got an idea...!
What's up, Karol?
Maybe she could get a boat for us to take across to Desier.

Well let's just ask her I suppose.

Huh, I guess those wanted posters really do work.
Listen, I've got a job that would be just perfect for you.
Hard labor, huh?
I like a man who can cut to the chase. As you may have heard, schools of mermen often attack cargo ships at this time of year.
Huh? But I thought there was another guild that always served as your escort...

The other guardian guild simply has no backbone. I don't know what to do.
What was the name of that guardian guild you mentioned?
The Blood Alliance.
Gee, I wonder what could have happened to them.
You're all as guilty as I am...

Wait, Yuri! What about the boat?
Hm? Did you say "boat"?
We've made a guild of our own.
We're called Brave Vesperia!

Mutual gain is one of the basics of all business, you know. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Sorry, but like I said, we're in the middle of a job. We can't take on anything else right now.
We won't call it business, then. Let's just say we'll cooperate as two guilds helping each other out. That way we won't be going against any guild principles.

Um, well...
All right, we can talk, but we need to go to Nordopolica. We can't afford any detours.
Fine with me. The mermen are only a problem in the waters near here. As long as I get to another port, I'm good. Once we arrive, I won't have any trouble making arrangements with another ship.
Wow, she means business...literally.
So, do we have a deal?

Fortune's Market isn't known as the best group of salesmen under the sun for nothin'.
This isn't so bad. Now we have a way to cross over to Desier.
I'll even throw in a bonus for all of you.
Bonus? What do you mean?

R-really?!
The boat looks pretty beat up, but it's still a good deal.
Right?
So the these mermen must be pretty tough customers if you're willing to part with a boat.
I'll leave that to your imagination.
I figured as much.
Marvelous! We have a contract then. Now that we've settled the details, I'd like you to get to work right away. Just let me know when you've made your preparations.

Well seeing as I used my last money to rest at the inn this is as prepared as we're going to get. Let's depart!

And this man is Tokunaga of Gull's Song, a maritime guild affiliated with Fortune's Market. Tokunaga is an expert in piloting the Fiertia.
I'm Tokunaga. Very nice to meet you.
We're not in a hurry, but these are important negotiations, so we really appreciate your help.
What is the ship's cargo?
That is confidential information.
It's nothing we should be worried about, is it?
Relax. We've got it covered. All right, head towards Nordopolica. Go directly southwest from Torim Harbor and you'll see the Desier continent. Nordopolica is at the eastern edge.
I hope you won't mind if I go over the Fiertia's controls for you. You can only disembark from the ship where you see a dock, a port, or a beach. You won't be able to get onto land where there are cliffs. Of course, the ship can't pass over rocks, but you'll also have to keep her out of the shallows around islands. You might be able to take her into some rivers, if they're deep enough. However, if there's a bridge spanning the river, you won't be able to take her under. We wouldn't want to clip off our mast! There are other places you can disembark from. Beware that there are monsters on other continents much stronger than you can handle right now. And that's about it.

Skit: This Is Soooooo Bad
We just started out, and we're already working with one of the five master guilds. This is good.
Yeah. You're one step closer to making your dream a reality, Karol. Aren't you happy?
You talking to the kid? He's over there mumbling about something.
Mermen...the first thing had to be mermen. Brave Vesperia has some bad luck...
What's the president of Fortune's Market gonna think of us if we fail?!
This is bad. This is soooo bad.
I don't think he's very happy.
He's just being careful, that's all.
That's not being careful. That's running and hiding.

And we've got our first world map vehicle!

Right now our options are fairly limited though, since as soon as we get a couple meters away from town we'll run into a cutscene. We could enter Capua Nor and backtrack to other areas from there, but that's easier to do from the Zaphias side, so I'm postponing that until we actually get some free reign with the boat.

Watch the cutscene! (PS3, Japanese; 360 version is unvoiced)

Hmph, that's pretty wishful thinking.
You're quite the pessimist for your age, girlie.
I'm just a realist.
Anyway, thanks for your help. It looks like we're going to make it there on time.
Kaufman's Bodyguard: Yeah, Leviathan's Claw was going to beat us there if we hadn't found an escort for the ship.
Leviathan's Claw, huh? That's a name I seem to be hearing a lot lately.

Oh, that explains the situation in Heliord...
Lately they've been trying to steal our clients from us. If we weren't able to cross the sea, they would've swiped up another one of our major customers.
Kaufman's Bodyguard: Still, I can't help but wonder where those slimeballs are getting their product from.
Indeed. Hoplon blastia isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to get one's hands on.

No, that couldn't be...it's mages that are supervising the blastia distribution...

A sound of something hitting the boat.

Ah, right on time.
Everyone, be careful!

Starting around here this scene plays out differently in the 360 and PS3 versions.

In the 360 version, the mermen just jump onto the boat and you have a battle with them, however in the PS3 version this happens first:

The monster... spoke...!?
Could it be the same as that monster...?
If you keep talking, you'll bite your tongue!

The battle isn't particularly noteworthy in either version. (Although do note my accessories I equipped in the PS3 version, they give you so many more options there.)

The following couple lines are identical in both versions, until...

I tell ya, Brave Vesperia doesn't have any shame in working an old man down to the bone! Even while I'm looking for apatheia and doing all sorts of other things...
Apatheia? Isn't that what you were looking for back in Nor Harbor?
That's right.
That's nothing but a fairy tale. I researched it a while back, but eventually I realized that there's simply no way it can theoretically exist.
I'm well aware people think it's a fairy tale.
Why are you looking for it?
Well... Because the Don told me to.

Right here. In the PS3 version,

It's still alive!

one of the enemies gets back up, acts very weird,

and spews out Patty. Yeah, I dunno either.

Patty!

Fade out and back in to Patty standing.

It was smooth sailing.

What were you doing in a place like this?
I was walking along searching for treasure when I fell into the sea. And then I started playing with a monster!
Well, isn't that great? You were about to turn into fish food.
So sorry for interrupting, but do you think we could set sail?
Yeah, sure.
(offscreen) Waaah!

drat...! There's still one left!

Ooh...
I've treated him with healing artes, but it would be best if he rested for now.
That's a problem... None of you... can pilot a ship, can you?
I can do it.

Really?
A world traveller had best know how to handle a ship if they don't want to be a laughing stock!
Okay then, I'll leave operating the ship to you.
Are you serious?
Also, since it looks like we'll get there sooner than expected, you can make a side trip if you'd like. As long as we're on course to a certain extent, it's up to you.

And back to the 360 content. Here we did not run into Patty and Tokunaga's fine.

Well then, we've got some business to talk about. I'll leave the navigation to you, Tokunaga.
Actually, Madam President, would you mind if I handed over the navigation to them for a while?

With a ship, we can go practically anywhere we want.
Estelle, I know you want to look for Phaeroh... But don't you think we have more important things to do for the moment?
Do you think...?
I'll do what I want. Don't worry about me.
We just started our guild...we should err on the safe side. Don't you think, Karol?
Y-yeah.

You might think that Patty joins our party now in the PS3 version, but she actually doesn't.

Now we can sail around the world a bit, right?

...Nope, sorry to disappoint. Going forwards a bit, we run into fog. As far as I know there's no way to get to land before triggering this event.

Watch the cutscene!

Yeah, it's creeping me out...
Fog like this's usually a sign somethin' bad's about to happen.
Kn-knock it off!
Talk like that long enough and something bad will happen.
Hey! Front! I mean bow!

That's an old ship. I've never seen that type before...
I think it says... The Atherum.

It's kind of hard to tell since footbridge isn't animated (you can see it already extended in the "The Ghost Ship Atherum" shot), but I think the intention here is that it drops onto our boat suddenly without anyone or anything actually triggering that.

That's weird. There's no sign of people...
It-it's like...it's calling to us.

The ceres blastia's not responding!
What do you mean? What the hell is wrong with it?
You think...this thing's the problem?
Oooh, maybe it's a cursed ghost ship.
Y-you don't really think so, do you?
Why don't we go take a look? It'll be fun. I love this sort of thing.
What?!

Are you planning on just leaving the Fiertia like this?
All right, why don't four of us go investigate while the rest stay here and keep watch?
That should be fine.
Okay. So Repede and I'll go.
Woof!
...And who's the third person?
I'm not going. No way!
Yuri, why don't you decide?
Gotcha.

Next time, we'll investigate the ship and get a fuckton of skits in the process.

----

Sidenote, would you rather prefer PS3 scenes to be added like this, in the middle of the scene pointing out differences and showing the new content, or do you think it'd be easier to follow if I did the whole 360 scene first and then the differences from the PS3 version after? I think this approach works better, but it might be confusing especially for those who haven't played either version before.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 9, 2016

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Bring the two scared kids. Oh please bring the two scared kids... If I remember correctly there are a few scenes in this ship that are just something amazing with those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The scenes themselves barely differ, but there's a couple different skits depending on who you take and leave behind.

I'll be showing them all, of course.

• Locked thread