Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Are you going for Item Hater? I did, made the Gattuso/THAT loving WOLF THING so much more annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm pretty sure that would require me to not use any Magic Lenses as well, so no, I'm not.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Senerio posted:

Are you going for Item Hater? I did, made the Gattuso/THAT loving WOLF THING so much more annoying.

Oh god. I forgot about that thing. I didn't figure out the gimmick of the boss until my second playthrough, so I ended up manually controlling 2 characters at once by switching auto/manual on two controllers.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 13, 2011

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
Is that the boss in the pass with the stun flowers or whatever?

Because if it is, I agree. Also, that's the dungeon and boss used in Vesperia demo. Bad choice if you ask me.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Senerio posted:

Hahaha what the christ. Scaled for placement in the game, I think that's one of the hardest bosses ever in any RPG.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
If I remember right, the problem is that he ISN'T scaled correctly, he was the boss of the demo version of the game where you have a level 20 party, but when you fight him in the retail game, you're level 14-15 while the boss has the exact same stats he had in the demo for fighting a level 20 party.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ You also have a couple useful Artes in the demo you'd not have at this point in the actual game.

FighterKnuckles posted:

Because if it is, I agree. Also, that's the dungeon and boss used in Vesperia demo. Bad choice if you ask me.

It's pretty much the worst choice they could have made for the demo, because not only is the boss a huge dick, but the cutscene that happens after it feels really out of place so it leaves a very bad impression of the game.

The PS3 demo uses Quoi Woods, which while still not perfect is much better for showing off the game.

If you ask me, they should have used Shaikos Ruins for the demo. Oh well, it's too late now anyway.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The cutscene that happens after it feels really out of place so it leaves a very bad impression of the game.

Cap'n Karol: That wasn't hard at all!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Um… Was there a sudden outbreak of monsterism after the humans got all their cities built and the technology to make barriers?

Because otherwise, I don’t see how human civilization reaches the point of being able to make cities if the monster problem is bad enough that people stay locked in cities, and towns that lose their barrier get instantly overrun and slaughtered.

I don’t mind long-haired purple guy, but I really don’t like the pink hair. It’s an ugly shade. I’m ambivalent on Estelle character wise. But changing the name from Estellise to Estelle is a good change.

Is “Blastia” the new “Exsphere”? (As in “All the party members have Exspheres Blastias, so that’s why they can fight.”)

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
That loving wolf was only easy if I was 10 levels over the expected amount or was on New Game+ and spammed it to death with Rita's Meteor Storm and Estelle's Holy Rain spam. Seriously gently caress that boss.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Um… Was there a sudden outbreak of monsterism after the humans got all their cities built and the technology to make barriers?

Because otherwise, I don’t see how human civilization reaches the point of being able to make cities if the monster problem is bad enough that people stay locked in cities, and towns that lose their barrier get instantly overrun and slaughtered.

See: Phantasy Star 2. Living a sheltered life makes you complacent, easier to kill.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is “Blastia” the new “Exsphere”? (As in “All the party members have Exspheres Blastias, so that’s why they can fight.”)

Pretty much, and "Aer" instead of mana.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Pretty much, and "Aer" instead of mana.

This time they're not Soylent Game Mechanic, though. There's an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT plot twist about them!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

This time they're not Soylent Game Mechanic, though.

:golfclap:

Which reminds me, I still need to finish symphonia. I'm stuck on that STUPID COOKING DUNGEON!

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Gatsuo is tough, but you can beat him by spamming any move that knocks enemies down, like Wolf Strike. When he's down, cast any spell that can hit downed enemies; time the spells right and you can Wolf Strike - spell - wait until he gets up - repeat. Also, free run like a little bitch until you get an opening.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I love how blatant the placement of Solt and Peppo- I mean Adeccor and Boccos are.

They look the same, act the same, and are tutorial bosses the same.

Still, this game is good at downplaying anime and fantasy tropes aside from those two and Estelle.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lance Streetman posted:

See: Phantasy Star 2. Living a sheltered life makes you complacent, easier to kill.

I'm questioning how they even got to the point of having a sheltered life.

I know that basically all RPGs ever have monsters roaming the countryside, but it's somewhat rare see a world which is so dangerous that the entire population needs to hide inside bubbles at all times or else they'll get wiped out. Is human really THAT delicious?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This game has conspicuously good localization. I mean, probably the best I've seen in any game.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
To answer the original question - I think monsters might have been getting worse over time? Just judging by the Aer Krene we visit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hell, I live in a country where the game was released and it's still impossible to find. Was there a limited print run of this in the UK or something?

If you're fine with digital copies, I just noticed that this game is up on Games on Demand for 30€ / 2560 MSP. Well, here in Austria anyway.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, it's there for £20 in the UK. I'm sure it was more when they first released it because I looked at the price and thought 'yeah, I don't really want to pay full retail price for it', but I'm more interested now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hmm. I much prefer having physical copies of games (unless it's on Steam), but considering the going rate for a copy of the game seems to be in £60+ mark (and that's for pre-owned), it looks like I don't have much of a choice. Ah well, birthday in a couple of weeks. I doubt I'll get lucky enough to even get a digital copy, but a man can dream.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

We're finally out of town! Vesperia, unilke pretty much every other console RPG released this generation, uses the old tried and true method of a world map where your character is as tall as a town. I like those types of world maps over the point-and-click or realistically sized ones, but your opinion may differ.

Up ahead we can see two areas of interest. We're gonna be visiting both this update.

Skit: Thanks to the Lower Quarter
A map, equipment, and even money. Your friends are so generous, Yuri!
*Sigh* They can't afford this. They can barely get by as it is.
Well, I'm sure they're worried about you, and want you to have a safe journey.
It's more likely they're just glad to be rid of a trouble-making kid.
That's not true!
Guess I can't come back empty-handed, now that they've given us all this stuff.
Now I gotta bring back the aque blastia. No matter what.

Skit: Christening Estelle
...Estelle... Estelle...
She's been mumbling to herself for a while now...
*Whine*
Hey, you coming? We don't have all day here.
Estelle... Estelle...
Looks like she's in her own little world... Hey! Estelle!
Oh, right! Sorry, I'm coming!
Do they not have nicknames where she's from?

In some of the battles here, both Yuri and Estelle learn some artes:

Yuri gets Fang Strike, a pretty good move that throws the enemy into the air.

Estelle gets Sharpness, a spell that slightly increases one party member's attack temporarily,

as well as Pow Hammer, a staple of the series that attacks enemies with a thrown cartoony hammer.

While we're at it, let's also take a look at the artes Yuri and Repede started with.

Repede has Sonic Dog, which is pretty much a dog-themed Sonic Thrust: Thrust forward and push enemies away.

And Yuri has Azure Edge, an insanely good aerial shockwave attack. It comes out fast, can hit enemies halfway across the battlefield, does great damage and only costs a measly 5 TP. It's probably one of Yuri's best artes and should always be on one of your arte shortcuts.

Yuri also gets a Title after one battle, which gives me an opportunity to talk about them.

Titles in this game are purely cosmetic and are obtained from story events, sidequests, or things you do in battles. Some titles, commonly known as costume titles, change the outfit your character is dressed in, which can be pretty fun. However, due to the fact they don't actually affect anything, you can safely ignore titles if you want.

After a short walk, we reach this place:

Yes...I wonder if we're safe now.
Hard to say. Those guys are a sticky lot.
Woof!
Huh...?

Greetings.
Hello!
Welcome, good travelers! ♪
...Is this a shop?
...It's the King of Adventure Travelers' Lodge...
Oh, big brother, do try to be a bit more friendly! ♥
...Sorry, Karen...
Please, you'll have to excuse him. My name is Karen, and this is Rich.
You're operating a traveling inn?
Doesn't the "King of Adventure" refer to something else...something more well-known?
The late emperor's brother, His Highness Regin, was known by that name thanks to his insatiable thirst for adventure.
Indeed! We took our name from His Highness Regin. It's true.
...We respect him...
Hmmm, that's a pretty nice name, then.
So are the two of you married?
M-married...? I, I...
Do we look like we're married?
Oh? It seems I was mistaken. So very sorry! If you're tired, perhaps you'd like to stay the night?
Wh-what should we do?
Sure, we'll sleep here.
Excellent! Thank you very much!
...Enjoy your shut-eye...
Oh, big brother, please! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!
N-no, it's quite all right...

Did you rest well?
Yeah, thanks a lot.
I do hope our paths will cross again, somewhere out on the road! ♪
Yes, I hope so, too!
...Later...

These guys pop up on several places on the world map, and you can always rest for cheap (50 Gald) there. They're also important for a sidequest later.

Skit: Nice to Meet You, Repede

Yeah, he's my partner, Repede.
Woof!
Oh, nice to meet you, too.
"Nice to meet you, too?" Did you actually understand what Repede was saying?
No...
Yeah, I guess that was a stupid question.

Skit: On Traveling
I never guessed I'd leave home quite like this.
Are you sorry to be leaving the capital behind, Yuri?
When I was in the lower quarter, I was too busy just living day to day.
Never really thought about it. I guess I did feel like setting out on an adventure sometimes.
I'm so excited just to be outside. I've always dreamed of going out into the world.
Being excited and all is fine, but don't overdo it. We need to find Flynn, right?
I'm excited and worried all at the same time.
Heh, all right.

Shortly before we reach Deidon Hold, Repede learns an arte:

I didn't catch the name on screen, but it's Crescent Fang. Repede jumps up and spins in mid-air, hitting enemies with his tail.

Watch the cutscene!

Do you think those knights followed you here?
I wonder. Well, let's do our best not to stand out.
Okay. And I want to catch up with Flynn as soon as I can.
All right, let's see if we can just pass through the Hold.

Something catches Estelle's interest, and she immediately runs off to check it out.

Merchant: Welcome. I've got some nice gear in stock today.

Merchant: No traveler should be without them. Feel free to give it a try.
Huh? What do you mean?
"The special techniques contained in weapons. These techniques were originally passed down from master to pupil, but the blademaster Assam used a special process to seal them within the weapons themselves. Bodhi blastia can acquire techniques from weapons imbued with this power. With continued use, weapon artes can eventually be learned by the person using the weapon."
Merchant: My, this young lady knows her stuff. That about sums it up.
I read in a book that the Kritya gave this knowledge to humans long ago.

Merchant: In order to find the fighting style that meets your needs it's best to think carefully about weapon skills when choosing your weapon.

I'm gonna cut the game off here because the explaination it gives is a bit confusing and not entirely correct.

Skills are a neat feature of Vesperia, and are the equivalent to EX Gems/Skills in Symphonia and Capacity Cores / AD Skills in Abyss. Skills either give you abilities like Backstep (jump backwards while guarding), or passive stuff such as Attack +5%, an extra hit in your basic combo or reduced cast time.
Skills are learned from weapons and sub-weapons. The game outright lies by saying "some weapons focus on raw power": Apart from your starting equipment and one specific exception near the end of the game, each and every weapon has skills. Each weapon can have up to three skills on it.
If you have a weapon equipped, the weapon's skills will automatically be active with no way to turn them off. If you fight battles while having the weapon equipped, you will eventually learn the skills on it. This is the "LP" you get at the end of battle. Each skill requires a number of LP to learn, and it's different for different skills, though the game doesn't tell you how many you need.
Once you have learned a skill, you can equip it without equipping the weapon it's on. Each skill costs some SP, the more powerful ones usually cost more, and each party member has a number of max SP that you can use at the same time, which increases a bit on level up.

Skills are categorized into four categories: Attack, Guard, Move and Support. If you equip a lot of skills in the same category, a glyph will appear in the Skill menu. Those glyphs actually do nothing normally and only become active during specific conditions, but we'll get to that at a later date.

The weapon shop here sells three weapons, which give us three skills:
- Backstep for Yuri, which allows us to jump out of the way of enemy attacks while guarding,
- Magic Guard for Estelle, which allows us to guard against magic by holding Down while guarding (though you won't guard against physical attacks anymore while doing this!), and
- Item Thrower for Repede, which allows the user to use items on anyone instead of just himself.
All three are basic but very useful skills. You should always check the shop for new weapons - and thus new skills - when you reach a new town.

On the Equipment screen, we can see a bar to the right of a skill which fills up when you gain LP. Once it's full it'll disappear, indicating that you have learned that skill.

Anyway, back to the cutscene.

I can't imagine business is all that great in a place like this.
Merchant: Don't get me wrong, I'm not here because I want to be.

Monsters, huh...?
...Did you hear that?

Estelle's off in her own world while reading books, apparently.

Hmm...
And...she's not listening.
...Huh? Did you say something?
I said I'm going to go get some information, so you wait right there.
Oh, I'll come too.
Merchant: That's all right, go ahead and take it. It's pretty old and it has some pages missing, but it's yours if you like.
Th-thank you very much.

Is that book any good?
It's fascinating. You can read it as soon as I finish.

Obtained Battle Book!

The battle book contains information about battle basics, and will occasionally get updated with newly introduced features of the battle system.

Looking around town, there's only a few places to check. There's a warehouse we can't enter (yet) to the right, the weapon shop by the entrance, the gate to the other side of the Hold, and this place, which seems to be a guard station.

Going through it, we can climb up to the top of the wall containing the gate.

Up there, we find this suspicious guy:

Watch the cutscene!

...Hey, hold on...
Hello...
Um, I beg your pardon, but...what are you looking at?
???: ...Humanity at work. Their tenacious attachment to this life...
...?
???: Why...? Why must humans live the lives they do? They fight for a share of monopolized technology and hurt even those closest to them...
...?
...Are you talking about blastia?
???: ...
I can't speak for anyone else, but... It doesn't seem to me like there's any reason why we get dumped into the world. But once you're here, you just do what you can to give this life everything you've got.
???: Perhaps there is truth in what you say...

He's gone... What was that all about...?
Got me. They say the heat can make people go a little crazy.
Is it hot?

Well I'm sure this guy won't be important!

Next time, we're gonna check out Deidon Hold some more.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 9, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
In Deidon Hold, you meet the best character in the game.
Kaufman is the best, and I will not hear any disagreements on that one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish they had made it so you can only do the EX Dungeon on a second playthrough in this game, it kills the replay value a bit. Although now I am tempted to go back and finally get all the achievements (I got the ones for beating part 1 under level 15 or whatever and beating the game in under 10 hours but that burned me out a bit)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... it didn't seem all that dangerous outside. I guess that it probably wasn't all that dangerous back when the shields first went up, but over the centuries, people stayed inside more and more and got more and more frightened of the monsters outside.

I'm still not sure where they get the food to feed all those people in the cities, or what the nobles lord over. Normal nobles are rich from owning land, but how much land can they really own inside the barriers?

Estelle getting excited about her new nickname moves me towards liking her more. Who are the voice actors for Yuri and Estelle?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yuri is Troy Baker, and Estelle is Danielle Judovits apparently.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
So if the white haired guy ever fights for/against Yuri, will he have use GIGANTIC TAGER?

Or is he simply disheartened because his search for his daughter Yonah isn't going well?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Or will he scream at Ieyasu for any inconvenience he might encounter?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SweaterGear posted:

So if the white haired guy ever fights for/against Yuri, will he have use GIGANTIC TAGER?

Or is he simply disheartened because his search for his daughter Yonah isn't going well?

That got more of a laugh out of me than it should have. Good one.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

SweaterGear posted:

Only after Yuri tells him to GET BENT.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Yuri is Troy Baker, and Estelle is Danielle Judovits apparently.

It's hard for me to be sure if I know a voice actor from somewhere or not. I might know these ones as Kanji and Chie from Persona 4.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Other voice actor connections: Our next party member is voiced by the voice of Ai (social link delinquent girl) from Persona 4. The most awesome character, who we're going to meet next update, is voiced by the original Nurse Joy, and the most awesome party member hasn't done much else besides this (Lex Luthor in Mortal Kombat vs. DC universe was the only one of note, and that was barely of note).

Edit edit: made a change- changed my mind. Don't look up who I meant by the last part or you'll spoil a huge twist.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Senerio posted:

the most awesome party member hasn't done much else besides this (Lex Luthor in Mortal Kombat vs. DC universe was the only one of note, and that was barely of note).

Which is a shame, since he's a really good voice actor going by his performance in this game.

And yes, Yuri's VA is Kanji in Persona 4, and Snow in FFXIII. I don't think Estelle is Chie but no one seems to know who Chie actually is.

e: stop editing while I'm editing

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 15, 2011

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Solaris Knight posted:

ToS 2 Emil is a passive aggressive (literally) tool who's just bobbing along because Marta loves him for some reason and Tenebrae has the only brain cells between the three of them.

To be fair, he broke ground as a closeted homosexual with mental baggage.

There's also Tales of Innocence's Emil who at least grows somewhat of a spine.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I really liked this game. In fact, it's probably my favorite JRPG. However I must admit, in my rigidity to follow the plot, I realized only just before the climax that I'd probably missed like.. half of the games content just by sticking to going where I was told.

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, since I don't think it relates to the plot, but just in case: I became aware of this when I found an island that seemed to contain some sort of stereotypical Japanese High School. I had no idea what it was there for, and couldn't do anything there. It's a mystery that's been gnawing on me for a long, long time.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, since I don't think it relates to the plot, but just in case: I became aware of this when I found an island that seemed to contain some sort of stereotypical Japanese High School. I had no idea what it was there for, and couldn't do anything there. It's a mystery that's been gnawing on me for a long, long time.

Unless I'm mistaken, you found the game's Gold Saucer. But not until much later.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And yes, Yuri's VA is Kanji in Persona 4, and Snow in FFXIII. I don't think Estelle is Chie but no one seems to know who Chie actually is.

Fun fact: thanks to Troy Baker, I couldn't hate Snow as much as everyone else did. Every time he opened his mouth, I kept thinking he was going to tell someone he was going to renovate their rear end. I can't hate that! Thankfully, Hope and Vanille picked up the slack for him.

Think I'm going to check the game shops today and see if I can find a copy that doesn't cost a silly amount. It's weird going into a game shop for something that's not an impulse purchase...

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I love this game, bought it twice, once regular and the second time in the swanky steel case collectors edition. I still wish they would release the PS3 version over here though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

As we walk towards the gate, we can hear some bells starting to ring.

Watch the cutscene!

This cutscene is... weird, really. It's also pretty action-y, so you might want to watch it even if you normally don't.

Knight A: Arrows! Bring the arrows!

Knight C: Dammit! What are they doing here this time of the year.
Knight D: The monsters will fall back if we stop the main charge! Remember your training!

Hold the gate! There's still more...

We just left the capital and things are already getting crazy...
That's it. I'm cursed. I know it.

Yuri decides to run out and help the people get inside. You know, right now I'm wondering what they were even doing there, there's absolutely nothing on the other side of the gate, so unless all of those people were just passing through going towards Halure... oh well, whatever.

Repede is awesome and stops the knight from lowering the gate.

...?! The gate!
Grrr, woof!!
Knight C: Wh-what the hell! Cut it out!

Help the girl!
...Whatever you say.

Everything is going to be OK.

Meanwhile, Yuri grabs the girl and gets the hell out of here.

Back to Estelle.

Boy: ...Hey, I can...I can stand...
Go in the hold. Hurry!

Girl: My doll, mama's doll!

Estelle wants to rush back out, but Yuri stops her.

Hey! Let go of me!
You wait here!

Yuri runs out and fetches the doll. In the meantime, the gates starts closing again...

So much for keeping a low profile!
Yuri!

Neat move, I guess.

Woman: How can I ever thank you?
Oh, it's nothing, really...
Boy: I'm not sure what I would have done if you hadn't cured me. Thanks!

...I'm just thankful that everyone's safe...

All worn out, huh?
It really is dangerous beyond the barriers with so many ferocious monsters around.
This place could definitely use a barrier against a pack that big.
Couldn't they install a barrier blastia here?
No. Barriers are a precious resource.
You're right...and with the current technology, we can't make anymore. If only we could recover the secrets of the ancient Geraios civilization... They created the blastia.
Even if that were to happen, I can't see the empire using the knowledge for the common good.

He gets interrupted by a conversation behind him that we happen to overhear.

So why don't you let us through? I'll beat those monsters to a pulp with these fists of mine!

You dare to doubt the power of the monster hunters?

Stay out of this! You Knights cheated us out of a job back there, and now we're gonna work off some steam!
Knight: Hey, hold it!

Great, we'll never get through as long as this keeps up.
But Flynn is headed to Halure, and we're so close.
Well, getting caught by the Knights wouldn't be too fun. Let's find another way through.

Skit: Quite a Scene
We made quite a scene, didn't we? I was so worried once those knights noticed us...
I told you we couldn't stand out.
You were the one who just jumped.
I can't just look away when monsters are attacking someone right in front of me, right?
Heh heh.
What's so funny?
I'm sorry. That sounded just like the way Flynn described you, that's all. He often said that you could never turn a blind eye when someone near you was suffering.
Well, next time you see him, you tell him that I said he's the same way.
Heh heh. I'll do that.

Well, let's search for another way. Asking around town a bit, we run into this charming lady.

Watch the cutscene!

Yuri just ignores her.

Bodyguard: Watch your manners around the President. Well, whaddya say?
So it's not bad manners to try and buy someone without even introducing yourself?
Bodyguard: Watch your mouth!

You're just as charming as I expected. I'm Kaufman of the merchants' guild, Fortune's Market. We handle everything from trade to distribution.
Guilds, huh...

At this moment, the earth shakes a few times for a second each.

You see, I'm in quite a tight spot, and it's all thanks to these tremors.
I'd rather not know, but was that the work of a monster?
Yes, the Lord of the Plains.
Lord of the Plains?
He's the leader of that pack of monsters.
The leader? Man, there's some amazing things out there.
Do you know if there's another way we can cross the plains? We're in a hurry.
Hmm, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for the Lord of the Plains to leave.
Huh. I guess there's no point getting worked up over it.
But I can't afford to just sit and wait. I'm going to get a second opinion!

Estelle and Repede walk off.

I could hire you and just charge through once the leader moves on, but...you don't seem interested.
If it's bodyguards you want, why not hire the Knights?
Are you forgetting that we guild members have thrown away our rights as imperial citizens?
Once leave the empire behind, you can't expect them to help you a whole lot. So naturally, the Imperial Knights would never deign to escort the likes of us.
Wow. You really stick to your principles.
Without that level of determination, one could never hope to run a guild.
Well, maybe you could use your determination to do something about that Lord of the Plains.

Yuri starts to walk away.

Go to the Quoi Woods that lie to the west of here. If you pass through the forest, you'll come out on the far side of the plains.
But the fact that you guys aren't going that way must mean we have some surprise to look forward to.

Thanks, I owe you one. Maybe I'll talk to you about that job if we meet again.

Estelle.
I...I'm not waiting around for the monsters to leave or anything. I'm just resting a little.
Oh, I see. Well then, I guess I'll just have to take the other way around by myself.

Well, I suppose we'll check out those woods. Let's get out of town, back to the world map.

Skit: Guilds
That woman who gave us directions--she said she was in a guild, right?
That was Ms. Kaufman, of Fortune's Market.
Man... Giving up their rights as imperial citizens and just...living free...
Yuri, are you interested in the guilds?
Interested? Nah, I've just never had much contact with them.
Back in the capital there weren't any gritty guild types who'd refuse the Knights' protection.
We may meet lots of people in guilds before we're done with our trip.
I hope they're a little less aggressive than that woman was.

The Quoi Woods lie to the east, close to some mountains. The trip there is fairly short and uneventful.

Skit: Watch and Learn
You look very good swinging a sword, Yuri.
You're not bad yourself, Estelle.
Really? My swordmaster used to scold me terribly...
Well, I have to admit I'd be surprised if you looked TOO natural.
I really don't like fighting... I don't like hurting people...
How ladylike of you.
But...if I don't fight, I'll end up hurt, myself, right?
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.
I wish I could enjoy fighting like you do, Yuri...
You think I enjoy this?
Don't you? I mean, the way your eyes shine... That only happens when you're fighing.
O-oh, really?... Wow, you're pretty observant.
Yes, I like watching people.

And we're already there. Next time we'll walk through, hopefully reaching Halure.

---

Oh, also, are you guys interested in dungeon or world map travel videos? If yes I can throw them up for interesting areas here and there.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 9, 2016

• Locked thread