Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Some Numbers posted:

Karol doesn't have that issue. Karol also always heals himself.

Karol also needs to be right next to you to heal you. If you're fighting a different enemy, or if someone in the back needs healing, chances are someone in need is gonna get shafted. Raven has the tradeoff of worse targeting for unlimited range and instant speed (though I think Karol's is also instant or near-instant).

Estelle just has flat-out "heal everyone" with an interruptible cast time, and Repede is good with item-healing duty (especially if a human is controlling him; his Skill loadout makes this much more apparent later on), but you're obviously limited in resources there, where the other healers are sustainable.

There's really no "best" option, which I like.

E: Upon rereading this, I must note that someone is also going to get "shafted" by Raven's healing arrow, just in a positive way. I guess. Though the person in question may disagree.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Having used Karol as my main healer for almost an entire playthrough, I can say that while you're right in theory, he works out better than you'd think. I really really like him as my healer.

One thing is that as the game goes on, Raven's heals get slightly worse (each arrow heals less), but when Karol gets his Altered healing artes, his heals just get better and better. Combined with his gigantic HP and a skill from much later, he's practically unkillable.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Some Numbers posted:

One thing is that as the game goes on, Raven's heals get slightly worse (each arrow heals less)

Partially true. Yes, arrows heal less once you reach a certain amount of uses, but you also get an additional arrow without any additional TP cost or charge time at that point, and multiple arrows can hit the same target from a single use.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Partially true. Yes, arrows heal less once you reach a certain amount of uses, but you also get an additional arrow without any additional TP cost or charge time at that point, and multiple arrows can hit the same target from a single use.

Right, but even if all three arrows hit the same person, that's still less HP than Karol's Altered heal.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
The bonus about Raven's heal is that he can be at any range from other party members and the arrows travel pretty fast, while Karol has to walk up to them (and he is SLOW). Karol's heals do get really awesome though.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Basically, what we can all agree on is that the lecherous sharpshooter and the little kid with a giant freaking hammer are better healers than the actual dedicated healer, am I right?

:geno:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Wild Knight posted:

Basically, what we can all agree on is that the lecherous sharpshooter and the little kid with a giant freaking hammer are better healers than the actual dedicated healer, am I right?

:geno:

Well, we can agree on the fact that Estelle's AI particularly is crap. But if you're relying on the AI to know when you need a heal most, that's a bad situation. Otherwise, Estelle has the most powerful heals of the game, but they're interruptable. She's also the only character with a ressurection arte, which is naturally quite worth keeping her in the party, at least during your first playthrough. On your second, you'll have the inventory space and the Gald to effectively never run out of Life Bottles, so you can afford to be quite more lenient on that front. (I can't remember, has this arte come up yet, Curtiss?)

Just... make sure to bind her healing spells (Resurrection in particular) to shortcut keys and you should be just fine.

EDIT: Removed spoiler tags on account of it no longer being a spoiler

Materant fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 23, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
We definitely already have Resurrection.

And even if we hadn't, it's not really a spoiler to say that the main healer gets a revive spell.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Last time, we were about to leave the knight-filled Nordopolica by boat.

Watch the cutscene!

Our ship starts to charge straight through the imperial ships...

And it works!

Judy...?

Yeah! We broke through!

...What...?

What are you doing?!
No, stop!!

...This is the path I have chosen.

You're that dragon freak!

Judy! Wait!

...Goodbye.
Judith...?!

Watch the cutscene!

Sounds like the core on the new blastia's pretty much totalled.
I just finished replacing the ceres blastia with a new model. I'd planned to do it ever since we ran into the ghost ship, just to make sure...
So, luckily, we still had the old blastia around? Either way, looks like we'll be drifting out here for now.
Looks that way.
What are Karol and Estelle up to?
They're a bit down in the dumps. Why don't ya go check in on 'em?
You'd probably be better at cheering them up, old man.
You know I'm not cut out for that stuff.

Might as well see how they're doing.

Skit: The Truth about Judith
I knew Judy's secret would get out some day, but...not like this.
A little heads up would've been nice.
I don't know what to think about anything anymore.

We can now talk to all our party members once again. Let's start with Estelle.

I don't see anything at all... ...After what happened to Belius... And with Judith breaking our blastia and running away... I just don't know what to think anymore.
Oh yeah?
And then you went and cut your arm like that...
Heh, that was painful.

But you healed me.
I couldn't just ignore you, could I?

So what are you all rattled about? Don't you remember? Belius said to take good care of your kind nature.
My power is the reason that the Entelexeia hate me, isn't it?
What with you being able to use magic without blastia...
Even if I make an effort not to use my power on the Entelexeia, ... to them, I'll still be evil... That's why Phaeroh was trying to kill me.
But Belius said you should try to meet Phaeroh, didn't she?
Yeah, in order to discover my destiny... But I wonder...is that really right?

Now you've got the idea.

Skit: The End of the Guild?
I was okay with taking out bad people on my own. But I couldn't tell the others.
...Not before, with Estelle, and not now. I gotta face up to the choices I've made.
It's been weighing on Karol, too. Who knows what'll happen to Brave Vesperia...

Next, Karol.

What's the matter? You look more serious than usual.
Yeah... I was just thinking about how hard it is to put a guild together... I thought things might go okay since I was with you guys, but...
...Have you lost faith in your ability to lead the guild?
No, not at all! I'm working as hard as I can...!
All right, then I'll borrow from your attitude and do the best I can, too!
...Hey, Yuri. Can I ask you something?
Yeah?

It's true.
How could you keep that from me...?
I kept meaning to tell you. I'm sorry.
Even though I think it's bad...you don't regret killing them, do you?
Yeah, I don't.
...I just don't know... Flynn and Estelle were trying to bring them to justice, too... Did you really have to kill them?

Someone has to do them, even if it means taking the blame.
Maybe so, but even still...
I just did what had to be done. You shouldn't force yourself to try to accept what I did.
Yeah.

Rita's pretty occupied with the blastia, but let's see what she thinks of Judith now.

Does it look like it'll be okay?
Oh...well, it's pretty bad...
Geez, this isn't usable at all...
...drat it! I can't believe that Judith was...
And all the time she was with us she didn't destroy any blastia at all.

That dragon...Ba'ul, right? It attacked us back in Heliord, didn't it?
You've got a good memory.
That's not the sort of thing I easily forget. Do you think they were going after Estelle back then? Yes...she knew. She knew about Estelle...

...Yeah.
drat it, I can't believe you...!
We all have our reasons for what we've done. You and Judith both...
...You mean...
And me too, of course.
You mean Ragou and Cumore? Hmph, I don't care much about what happened to them.
Judy was a loyal member of our party. That's how it looked to me, at least...
Yeah, that's true, but... If she had just shared what she knew about the Child of the Full Moon, and about the Entelexeia... Estelle's problems might already have been solved by now.
It depends, doesn't it? Phaeroh told her she was poison, after all.
...You know, it's possible she knew where Phaeroh was from the very beginning.
...Yeah, maybe so.
Either way, I'll never forgive her for breaking that blastia!
Well then, if Judy comes back, you can feel free to beat her up.

Hmmm, I couldn't say.

Raven surely has his own thoughts about the whole situation, as well.

You sure have your own way of doing things, old man. Then again, I guess that's your only redeeming quality.
Hey, way to hurt a man's feelings! I've got a ton of redeemin' qualities!
That's one list you can just keep to yourself.
I hafta tell ya, I was so surprised to find out that Belius was that beast--sorry, I mean, Entelexeia, was it?
Yeah. But it seems like the story about her engineering the Great War was a lie.

Maybe, yeah. So, is that the Don's grandson? How'd he end up here, anyway?

I heard that an ally of the Don's had been captured by a monster, and I thought I'd come to save him. And then I heard that the monster possessed apatheia, so...
They said that Belius had been captured?
Apparently that's what Leviathan's Claw said. So they went down there with the Hunting Blades to kill the monster.
And that monster was actually Belius, so even though you got the apatheia, the ally you were supposed to save ended up dying.
Yeah...
You need ta learn ta take things slower. Check your information before you rush out all ready for battle...
drat it, what the hell do you know!
...Things like this happen, I guess... Having the Don for a grandfather puts a lot of pressure on the boy.
Anyone with a grandfather like that would be expected to work their butt off, yeah.
Everyone expects too much of him. So he works hard not to let anyone down, and then things like this happen...
...Palestralle's not going to be too happy about this. Even if he didn't have any choice but to fight, I doubt they'll take that for an excuse.
That Natz guy should forgive us, I think.
That would be nice. But Natz isn't the Duce. It's the others in the guild we have to worry about.
Well, I don't know how to get out this mess! For now I'm going to take him to see the Don. Take the ship to Dahngrest as soon as it's workin' again, would ya?
Gotcha.

Yuri walks off.

An eye for an eye... It's a matter between guilds, after all...

And let's not ignore Repede, either!

So many things to deal with... I'm a little mixed up.
*Whine*
Sorry for dragging you around Repede.
Woof... !
Right... There's nothing else to be sorry about after all these years.
Woof!
Hahaha... OK, so what should we start with... ...Before anything else, we'll need to have the ship moving...
*Whine*

And in the PS3 version, Patty's around too.

Hm. It seems we got caught in the tide and are drifting north.
Really... Sorry for dragging you out all the way out here.
Don't worry. I wanted to come with you from the beginning.
Well, we're thankful to have someone around who can operate the ship. But, you have to look for that treasure to get your memory back though, don't you?
It's okay. I like to take things slowly. Life is longer than the red ears of a hare or the slimy body of an eel.
Well, that's better than rushing through life.
Besides, spending time with you like this isn't so bad either.
Heh. Thanks.

But still, that's not enough to make you actually give up searching, right?
Aye. I want to know what my grandfather was really like. From here on, I want to answer some questions for myself. Like, what I should be doing, and how I should deal with the name "Aifread".
I see. Guess that means you can't stay with us forever, huh?
Aye... But I've realized that being with others is a million times better than being alone. So, when my memory finally returns, I want to keep travelling with you and the others.
Yeah, if the opportunity arises, that might not be bad at all.
When that time comes, do you think Judy...
Who knows. Judy has her own reasons for not being able to join us. I hope that when the time comes, your wish to stay with us doesn't change.

Yuri leaves.

...Indeed.

And that's everyone.

The next day...

Watch the cutscene!

That's great... We'll be able to use the boat again.
If ya don't mind, I'd like ta bring Harry back to Dahngrest first.
We need to head to Dahngrest, too.
Right. We've got to deliver Belius' apatheia.
Why don't ya let old Raven take care of that for ya? Whaddya say?
We couldn't ask that of you.
Oh, that hurts. Still can't trust me after all we've been through, huh?

It would be unjust if we didn't deliver it.
Yeah. Besides, we're also at fault for Belius ending up like she did. We've gotta own up to what we've done.
The Don also might know why everyone wants these apatheia so badly.
He was tryin' ta get his hands on one too, don't forget.
If we can learn more about the apatheia, we might find out why Flynn's been using such extreme measures.
Well then, I'll make sure ta set things up with the Don for ya.
Really?
A wiser man than I once said, "Even chance acquaintances are decreed by destiny." If it's meant ta be I don't mind puttin' in the effort for Brave Vesperia.

You too, Rita...?
A lot has happened. And I get the feeling it's all connected to this apatheia somehow. So...
It was the Don that told us ta go find the apatheia in the first place. He just might have somethin' up his sleeve.
So Rita, you're with us as far as Dahngrest?
That only leaves Estelle...

I agree.
I wonder when we'll see Judith again...
Hey, once we've delivered the apatheia, let's go see if we can find her?
That's not a bad idea. Besides she broke the guild laws, and you know we can't just let that slide.
R-right. At least not without hearing her reason.
But first up is Dahngrest.
There'll be a stretch of beach along the southern edge of Tolbyccia where we can lay anchor. I'd wager that'd put us as close to Dahngrest as we could hope.
Okay, sounds like we've got our destination.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 9, 2016

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Huh...well that was an update. Was it necessary for her to destroy the Blastia that was powering the ship while it was in the ocean?

But anyway, looks like everyone's secrets are coming out now...except Raven's...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KDavisJr posted:

Huh...well that was an update. Was it necessary for her to destroy the Blastia that was powering the ship while it was in the ocean?

Probably. It looked like it was reacting to the crystal Estelle was holding, which means it was probably going to explode and kill them all on the spot in short order.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Judith better not rejoin the party unless she's going to explain why she's destroying Blastia.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Judith better not rejoin the party unless she's going to explain why she's destroying Blastia.

I know I asked if she at least had a good drat reason for it earlier in the thread, but I have to echo this. You can't hide your bullshit anymore, Miss T&A; Time to fess up. :colbert:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Ah Judy. I remember the first time going though this scene. Hit me out o the blue, mostly because Judy was my favorite party member other than Yuri starting out.

Then again, she's STILL my favorite party member other than Yuri, so that's not changed in the least.

Though, not gonna lie, this scene is batshit hilarious with Judy's armor on. On that note, are there any plans on showing off the PS3 exclusive costume titles post game or the like?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

And all the time she was with us she didn't destroy any blastia at all.

That line always weirds me out, because there is an entire set of events revolving around Judith destroying Blastia ...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Raitzeno posted:

Probably. It looked like it was reacting to the crystal Estelle was holding, which means it was probably going to explode and kill them all on the spot in short order.

Or maybe this is one of those materia/mako things and the engine was actually killing Belius's... gem soul thing.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

That line always weirds me out, because there is an entire set of events revolving around Judith destroying Blastia ...

Yeah, I thought that was odd. They actually messed with this conversation a bit in the PS3 version which involved cutting that line and adding a few extra lines to extend the Ragou and Cumore line, though I couldn't say if they took it out for the same reason.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Before we head to Dahngrest, we can do some minor sidequesting. Our first stop is Zaphias.

It might be a bit small, but go right ahead.

You're full of energy as usual, Ted.
Eh? Flynn's not with you?
He's been busy with the Knights. I couldn't drag around some rising star captain on my little errands.
...Did you two get in a fight again?
Again? Do Flynn and Yuri fight a lot?
Yup, day in and day out. Yuri, I want you to go and make up with Flynn.
Look, it's not that simple.
Simple? You and Flynn are as simple as they come! Like when we couldn't pay our taxes. You thought you'd just get rid of the tax collector. What's simple is your way of thinking. Even I would've thought that one through a little more.
That's simple, all right.
They're both too stubborn. If they'd just give each other an inch... Like when Yuri quit the Imperial Knights...things keep getting rocky like that.

Bread? Why?
You can split it. Yuri and Flynn have split everything with each other, ever since they were kids. Like their first sword. They could only afford one, so they switched off using it all day long.
Ah, I think I'm starting to see how similar Yuri and Flynn really are.
We've been together forever. When you grow up in the same environment, you're bound to be a little alike.
You'd better make up with him before the next time you come back here. Then I'll have the missus cook up everyone a nice, big dinner!

It was so easy when we were kids...

In the PS3 version, there's also something at Heliord.

Healas: Got that right, Cotton. I've suffered huge losses. I never would've thought things would turn out so badly.
What's the matter?
Cotton: Hmm. Kids your age probably aren't interested in what we're talking about, but lend us an ear.
Of course. I'd love to hear.
I'll be the judge of whether or not it's interesting after hearing you out.
Healas: You're good kids.
Cotton: We invested money in small guilds. When said guild succeeded, we would receive money back according to how much we invested.
Hm? That sounds pretty fishy.
Fishy?
Healas: Yeah, I guess that figures.
What? It figures? So then...
Healas: Up until recently, it was very profitable, so we invested in lots of guilds. However, all the guilds we've invested in lately have been disbanding up across the board.
Cotton: We didn't receive the money we invested back, so we've suffered heavy losses.
I can't believe that could happen. Guess you have to be careful.
Are you going to be able to get by all right?
Cotton: More or less. We still have some savings left. We figure this must be the price we pay for taking the world of business lightly. We've called the quits.
Aye, you're lucky it wasn't worse.
Healas: You're such nice kids to listen to us rant. While I still have your attention, I want to give you one last piece of my mind. One way or another, money is important. Just because you've put a bit away, doesn't mean you can go off and spend it. You'll regret it.
Cotton: Whenever you can be making money, you better be making money!
Healas: Yes, yes! Even fighting monsters is an opportunity to make money.
Really? I can make money while fighting...
...Patty, what is it?
Hm. I just thought up something good!

From this, Patty gets the Search Gald arte.

It's not really all that useful, though it can be used to attack as well.

With that done, we can head off to Dahngrest. The game suggests landing near Heliord, but I find it much easier to dock near Ghasfarost.

Watch the cutscene!

These things usually take a while, so why not hang tight at the inn. I'll come over when I can.

Huh? This is Union business. Not sure you'll have much ta talk about.
I... Actually, there was something else I wanted to ask...
Can't it wait till ya bring the apatheia with everybody else?
It's... I'd rather ask it on my own.
If it's not too complicated, go and give it a try.
I can't make any promises, just so ya know.

That qualifies as complicated.
You've got that right...
Let's be good kids and wait for Uncle Raven at the inn.

Skit: Guild versus Guild
The town's quiet now, but it could get ugly quick.
Yeah, well. We've seen our fair share of ugliness.
Not like this, we haven't. Do you think Palestralle is just going to take Belius' death lying down?
...The Don's grandson is wrapped up in this too. I guess they can't just let things slide.
The guilds sure make a big deal about their rules and settling their scores.
Exactly.
What a pain. I don't get it at all.
We're kinda caught up in this ourselves, you know. Just be ready if things go bad.
I know.

Not much for us to do here except resting at the inn.

Ahh...b-but...I have to...
We're going to get some rest. What about you, Yuri?
Hmmm, yeah. I could use some time off my feet, too.

Oh... Hey, old man. You're back... ...What about Karol?
Haven't seen 'im since I left the Union. I reckon he's still there.
I hope he's okay...

Did you see the Don?
Well, about that... As soon as the Don heard what happened with Harry and Nordopolica, he left the Union.
By himself? That's not like him. Where did he go?
Well--and this is just my intuition, mind ya--

What?!
But Yeager is the head of Leviathan's Claw! That's so dangerous!
Well, I don't think Yeager'd try anything against the Don. If they went up against the Union, they could lose all of their business, for one.
So why did the Don go out there...

So anyway, I'm sorry, but the Don's left the city.

You believe the old man's intuition?
If the Don's going up against Leviathan's Claw, we can't very well sit around and twiddle our thumbs. There's no guarantee the scum won't try to attack him.
...Well, all right, then. I'm not really one for waiting, anyway.
...Estelle, will you wait here?
I...I'm going with you.
Estelle, don't overdo it. Are you sure you're up to this...?
Yes... I'm absolutely fine.
Estelle...
...So, you all know where the Manor of the Wicked is?
I figured you knew, old man. Aren't you coming with us?
Well yeah, I guess I am.
Well then, it's decided. We'll just go pick up Karol, and...

Sounds of a commotion from outside.

It sounded from the direction of the bridge...
Uh oh...
Let's go and see!

Karol's over there!

Guild Member B: Even if we're the only ones helping, we owe it to the Don to protect the city!

Guild Member C: We've heard that a group from Palestralle has been spotted near Heliord!
Their leader got killed thanks to a mistake of one of our own. It's only natural they'd wanna talk about the incident.
Guild Member C: Once they learn the Don's left town, things could get ugly! We must defend the city from them until Don returns!
You fools. If y'all weren't so eager to fight, the Don wouldn't've had to leave in the first place...
Soon as they learn that there's fighting between guilds... Dontcha think the Knights are bound to stick their noses in our business again?
Guild Member D: Dahngrest is independent from the empire! The Imperial Knights are in no place to tell us what to do!
The friendship treaty still ain't finalized yet, you know...

Yuri! Everyone! What do we do? This is going to become a war between guilds if we don't do something! If only the Don were here...
They say that the Don may have gone to the Leviathan's Claw compound, the Manor of the Wicked.
What! Really?!
Well...probably so...
We were about to see if we could go there. Wanna come with us?
But...there's a chance that the Don's not there, right?
Yeah, it was just the old man's intuition, after all.
If he's not there... War could break out while we're out looking for him... Yuri...what should we do...? What would be best...?
Well, we should be able to handle the Manor of the Wicked ourselves. You go ahead and do what you think you should do.
Y-yeah...then I'm going to go and talk to everyone!

We don't have much choice. We can't follow the Don and guard the city at the same time.
I hope that we find the Don at the Manor of the Wicked...
We're his backup. If Yeager's the one the Don's up against, he'll need all the help he can get.

Hey, wait for meee!

Skit: Don, Don't Get Hasty
If the Don really did go meet with Yeager, what could the reason have been? And why would he go alone?
It's not to deepen the ties of their friendship, that's for sure.
It was probably because he didn't want his subordinates to get wrapped up in the mess.
Well, that's just one more example of how much the guilds love doing things the hard way.
Upholding every rule. Settling every score. Is it all really that important?
Hey, if we're goin' after the Don, now's the time. We can have special sharin' time later.

Before we head off, I buy some more equipment.

Revenge Spell: No casting time if a novice spell is used while staggering.
Endure: Decreases amount of time needed to recover from a stagger hit.

Step Away: Avoid staggering when hit during Backstep.
Evade 2
Vitality 2

BA Force: Increases the effectiveness of Burst Artes.
Reflect: Reflects a certain amount of damage from an attack.

Spirits 2
Magic 2
Resist 2

Defend Artes: Avoid staggering when hit during a base arte combo.
Status Guard: Reduces the effect of magical ailments.
Condition Guard: Reduces the effects of certain physical ailments.

Spell Charge 2: Hold the Arte button after casting an intermediate spell to move freely while delaying the spell.
Combat Force: Converts 25% of HP to the same amount of TP. (Reduces HP to 75% but increases TP to 125%)

Happiness
Happiness 2
Happiness 3

Heal Supply: Heal an ally to recover some HP.
Guard Supply: Recovers TP when guarding enemy attacks.
Guard Reflect: Reflects 1/5th of the damage taken during guard.

Dispersion
Great Deluge
Life Up: Occasionally increases Max HP after a battle.

Over Cast 2: Hold the Arte button after casting to increase the effect of an intermediate spell while consuming TP.
Magic 2
Lucky Soul: Occasionally recover TP when knocked to the ground.

Alright, we're off!

Ya do realize what going to the enemy's compound means, right?
What it...means...?
We're gonna be on their turf, playin' by their rules. If we get there and we're not ready to roll, they could give us a mighty beatdown and it'd be lights out for us...
So, you're asking if we're totally prepared to go?
We're ready to roll, old man!
Y'sure?
You're worrying more than usual. We're ready.
Yeah? Well then, let's go.

The Manor of the Wicked isn't too far away from Dahngrest.

Just head over the bride to the right after passing Keiv Moc and you'll get there fairly quickly.

And here we are! We'll enter it next time.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 9, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I always appreciate when a work of fiction uses the word vorpal.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Raven posted:

Hey, if we're goin' after the Don, now's the time. We can have special sharin' time later.

Raven, I think I love you.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
This line of events is always intense, it's one of those parts where I really can't stop playing.

vdate posted:

Raven, I think I love you.
He just said special sharin' time was for later. :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ramengank posted:

This line of events is always intense, it's one of those parts where I really can't stop playing.

He just said special sharin' time was for later. :colbert:

Besides, if vdate isn't a hot woman, Raven probably doesn't have interest. :v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Psion posted:

Besides, if vdate isn't a hot woman, Raven probably doesn't have interest. :v:

This is an insipid argument coming from you, Poison. :3:

(Sorry, it was way too easy.)

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
It's kind of odd for this game to focus on vigilante justice so much since every Tales game ever stars a group of vigilantes imposing their brand of justice on evildoers and sticking it to authority.

e: Also echoing the hate for Patty. She's a more obnoxious version of Anise.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 7, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is interesting. We're dropping party members. Usually Tales games just roll them up into your protagonist katamari.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Glazius posted:

Well, this is interesting. We're dropping party members. Usually Tales games just roll them up into your protagonist katamari.
I kind of expected it. Every Tales game I've played (Symphonia/Abyss/Innocence) had at least one party member betray you only to return a short while later.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Midnight Moth posted:

It's kind of odd for this game to focus on vigilante justice so much since every Tales game ever stars a group of vigilantes imposing their brand of justice on evildoers and sticking it to authority.

I actually enjoy that. It's kind of like the monster situation: in any other JRPG, the townsfolk just take it for granted that there are hordes of vicious creatures lying in wait beyond the walls, like "Oh yeah, that level 77 Lawrencium Dragon over there is a total bro, he's not gonna do anything to us so long as we don't set foot outside the city limits, which we never will because we're scripted to stand in place and repeat the exact same lines ad nauseam" and Vesperia's like no, those rampaging hellbeasts are A Thing and they are going to have a major impact on the way people live their lives. It's refreshing to see a game that actually takes a nuanced view of the "Doing your own thing" vs "Playing nice with others" dilemma, and acknowledges that the typical RPG paradigm is actually kind of hosed up.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Manor of the Wicked sure does sound like an awfully incriminating name for a base.

Also, things named after the Vorpal Sword... :allears:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Katsudon posted:

Manor of the Wicked sure does sound like an awfully incriminating name for a base.

Also, things named after the Vorpal Sword... :allears:

Don't forget that Leviathan's Claw is a genuine guild.
I would love to see how they are getting clients:
"Alright, so we meet their leader at the Manor of the Wicked? Really? Wonder if they are trustworthy ..."

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I hadn't been particularly impressed at the party dynamic up till now in Graces, but one of the after-battle 3-person quotes made me nearly die laughing just now.

ROYAL Crablettes?! :<

I'm a bit over 10 hours in and loving the hell out of it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh yeah, that might be worth mentioning: Tales of Graces f (PS3) is now out in America! And since the PS3 is region-free, if you're like me and live in Europe or any other country where it's not out, you can just import it, for example here or here.

That said, don't get too off-topic about it, this is still a Vesperia thread.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, that might be worth mentioning: Tales of Graces f (PS3) is now out in America! And since the PS3 is region-free, if you're like me and live in Europe or any other country where it's not out, you can just import it, for example here or here.

thanks for the info! was waiting for the game to import it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Wii version hasn't come over, has it?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
No, only the PS3 version was localized. I didn't know it was out already. I haven't heard much about it, but what I have seemed pretty lukewarm. I'm kind of itching for a new Tales game though. I have Abyss to play still, but I don't have a PS2 anymore so I'm not sure if I'm really willing to buy an entire new PS2 just for it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Do you have a 3DS? A port of Abyss was recently released for it.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

This means one thing and one thing only: who will LP it :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KDavisJr posted:

No one for at least three months.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

KDavisJr posted:

wdarkk is thinking about it.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

No one for at least three months.

Well of course! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Watch the cutscene!

It's so heavily guarded...
Shh. They're arguing about something.

Leviathan's Claw Member: Don't you have anything to prove who you say you are?
You know what? Actually, we don't. Let us through. The Don is here. We don't have time to sit and chat.
So the old man did come here...

I told you, we received word that the Don was headed here before we could arrive at Mt. Temza.
We couldn't very well ignore news like that, could we?
The Hunting Blades are out to get Judy?
What are you waiting for?! You won't be any use to Yeager if we have to give you a beating.
Leviathan's Claw Member: Humph... We'll let you through, but not without an escort. You don't mind, I hope?
Whatever, just let us in.

Guess we'd better strike while the iron's hot.
Leviathan's Claw Member: Wh-who the hell are you?!

Leviathan's Claw Member: Hey!
Nice, Repede!

It's just a fight against the local random enemies. They can be a bit annoying but aren't anything special.

So let's make with the gettin' inside.

If they're looking for apatheia, maybe they want the dragon she was riding. If he's an Entelexeia, he might become an apatheia like Belius.
...I mean...when he dies.
Which means Harry's request wasn't the only reason they wanted ta take Belius down. They want those apatheia somethin' bad.

Especially with those two charming young ladies in there.
Sure. We should be on our way.
...I'm just worried about Judith.
So you'll be going to Mt. Temza?
But the Don...
We're practicing deciding for ourselves. Remember?
Let's move.
I'm coming too!
She'd be upset if I left the Don like this to go looking for her. I can just hear her saying, "My, what did you think you were doing?"

All right, let's get the old Don out of this place.
Looks like we've found one more thing we can't ignore.
Okay!

Skit: Judith in Trouble
I never woulda guessed we'd have to chase down the Don and then go make Judith talk. It looks like the Hunting Blades're on the move, too.
I want know how Leviathan's Claw managed to get that information.
I'm sure there's something they're after.
...Judith.
I know you're worried, but let's just deal with what's right in front of us for now.
Right. Let's look for the Don.

Apart from another guard that you can just avoid, there's nothing interesting out here. Let's enter.

Watch the cutscene!

Whitehorse!

The party attempts to run up the stairs, but gets cut off.

Didn't you say Leviathan's Claw would never try something like this, old man?
The Don's the one that started all this.
What? Then, that means the old man's...

Bravo! I really should thank you for such a heart-rending performance!
What the hell's he talking about?!

More local enemies.

He's gone after Yeager!
Let's go!

But before we chase after them, let's loot this manor a bit. There's a lot of optional side rooms that may or may not have good stuff hidden in them, a bunch of it not even in chests but just lying around.

Skit: Leviathan's Claw HQ
I wonder what they were thinking,
building a big manor out in the middle of nowhere like this.
Isn't it obvious? Crooked plots and intrigue!
We should hurry and finish what we need to do before we get caught up in anything.
It's not so bad here, Estelle.
Why not take our time and get the full tour?
Are you thinking of exposing some "crooked plots and intrigue" while we're here?
Nah,
I wasn't thinkin' about any of that.
Being in someone's home is just so relaxin', is all.
I can't believe you...
We don't have time for this. We're going on ahead, old man.
No, no, wait fer meee...

There's also a lot of enemies around, and the battles I get into give me some new Artes!

Here we have Nightingale for Estelle, which results from Nurse with Crucible. Pretty good heal-all spell.

She also learns Marche Waltz, a one-two physical hit combo with a music motif. Eh, Estelle should stay in the back and cast if you ask me.

Yuri gets Brutal Fang, I didn't get a good shot of it, but it's several punches. The more you use it, the more punches you can get from a single arte use by mashing the attack button. Supposedly the maximum is over 100 hits, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Repede gets Hell Hound, a dog-themed Hell Pyre.

And I forgot to include this last time, Repede also got Shining Dog, where he creates a tornado in front of him.

Anyway.

The room we want is the one in the far back.

Watch the cutscene!

I never dreamed you'd try anything this risky...
Finally made up my mind that this mudball'd be a much prettier place without you on it.

And I'll face the consequences. But it's daybreak now. Looks like I've underestimated ya a touch. I'm outta time.

H-heh. I think it's a bit late to prevent that little accident from happening.
A couple eggs might have ta be broken. But I'm prepared to pay a price.
A price...
You've still got us to deal with, Yeager.
Well, it looks like the tide's taken a turn, ja indeed. Bye bye!
Hey, wait!

The two girls also jump out.

drat, that guy's a regular vanishing act.
Now what's with all of you? Just how'd ya figure comin' down here'd be the smart thing ta do?

In the PS3 version, Patty gets to talk to the Don a bit here.

I'm not little. I'm Patty.
Sorry about that. Patty, was it? Come 'ere and let me take a closer look at yer. ...This's a surprise...
...?

Eh... So then... Patty really is Aifread's granddaughter?
A granddaughter? Hmm... I'd never heard of Aifread having grandchildren.
I see. So Patty's "probably" wasn't wrong at all.
After what happened, I'm sure yer were were barred from doin' lots of things for being family.
I'm following after Aifread for my own reasons.. I came here to ask if you might know anything, since you used to be friends.
Hm, calling us friends is pretty exaggerated.

Course, that means I got no idea where Aifread is now.
I see... Have we... met somewhere in the past?
Eh...? With me? No clue.

This is where we rejoin the 360 scene.

This is a keepsake left by an ally of yours. We were asked to bring it to you.
...Looks like I caused you all some trouble.

Just what is an apatheia, anyway?
Well, ya see... Hm... 'Fraid I don't have time ta explain it now. Hate ta cut and run, but I'll leave the rest of these guys ta you.

Hell yeah!

Wait.

Hey, let me try and buy the old man some time.
Raven?
Come on.

Yawn.

I agree.
...You don't mean...from up here?

I got a bad feeling about this. We should get back to Dahngrest.

Skit: Spitting Image
I'm the spitting image of Aifread...
That's quite different from what I imagined.
You're right. I thought Aifread would be an intense person, like the Don.
It's confusing. I'll have to ask the Don for more details.

-----------------------------------------

Notable loot from the Manor of the Wicked:

Crucible
Athenor

Chain
Hell Fire
Spirits

Revenge Spell: No casting time if a novice spell is used while staggering.
Endure: Decreases amount of time needed to recover from a stagger hit.

Quick Turn: Able to turn around instantly even when dashing.
Combo Force: Mitigates damage from a basic combo attack.

-----------------------------------------

Short treck back to Dahngrest, and...

Watch the cutscene!

Yuri! It's terrible!
The Union and Palestralle are squaring off against each other with hoplon blastia! The Don is back, but something's not right.

What do you mean, "your hunch?"
He's been planning for this ta end in his death all along.
What?! Why would he want to do something like that?
Belius died because of Harry's rash behavior. She's the Duce of Nordopolica. Ya can't just say, "Sorry, I got some bad information." Which means there's gotta be compensation ta make up for losin' Belius.
So the price Don mentioned back at the Manor of the Wicked was...

Once he'd made up his mind to sacrifice himself, taking down Yeager wasn't a problem, even if it meant going against the laws.
No! He can't do that!

There has to be some other way!

And if it starts, it'll mean all-out war between the Union and Palestralle. There might be another way, but there isn't time ta look for it.
...I'm going with Karol.

Watch the cutscene!

But it's like there's nothing I can do on my own...
So then ask fer help. That's what friends're for, right?
Don...!
Take good care of them, and they'll be there whenever ya need 'em.

Raven, you better nail Yeager for me.
Hah hah. That's a heavy load for somebody like me.
Yer the only one I can ask.
...Whitehorse.

The boy has made a mess of things. He may be my idiot grandson, but he's also a full member of the Union. And it falls on any leader ta take responsibility for the mistakes of their people. So say the laws.

Idiot. These guilds... They're all filled with nutcases...

If anyone's confused here -- I know I was -- Seppuku involves the person performing the suicide slicing himself in the gut, while someone else, the second, decapitates him. That's what he's asking.

...It would be my honor.

You too.
Heh. No kidding. Yuri. I was lookin' forward to watchin' ya go places. I'll make sure to save you a spot in hell.
I don't think they'd let me in to the hell you're going to.
Hah. I won't forget that attitude, boy.
And I won't forget your resolve, Don Whitehorse.

Listen up! You all gotta stand on yer own two feet from here on! There's a new age coming, so get out there and make it for yourselves!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 9, 2016

• Locked thread