Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Stelas posted:

Emil didn't seem to link his attacks as well as Presea did for me, though I'm prepared to put that down to my going for T-Presea rather than S-Presea, or something like that. Either that or it's the fact that out of the gate you've had two responsive characters and a healer that can stab things - Karol just seems dull in comparison.

Actually, he...doesn't. There's a weapon skill he learns that changes up his attack combos, after which he apparently is much more usable.

E: Before learning the skill, his combos essentially involve him screwing up and tripping over his own feet, if I recall right. After, he actually manages to swing that weapon around properly.

E2: I think it's Combo Plus, which increases his attacks in his combo by 1. Everyone can learn that one from various weapons, but Karol apparently gets a lot of benefit from it. Haven't tried it myself; this was from a friend who actually used Karol.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, he...doesn't. There's a weapon skill he learns that changes up his attack combos, after which he apparently is much more usable.

There's some other improvements he gets later on as well, yeah. But certainly right now, he's in that position, and that tends to colour the player's perception a bit.

He's pretty much in the party to be contrast to Yuri at this point in the game, I think, which is why he gets a raw deal.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Estelle's repeatedly asking "Is this the curse?" reminds me of the scene in UHF with the blind guy and the Rubik's cube.

"Is this the curse?" "Nnnnnope." "Is this the curse?" "Nnnnnope." "Is this the curse?" "Nnnnnope."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yuri's attacks are all Cerberus this and Wolf that. I wonder if he's some kind of dog who's turned into a human, and Repede's just having nothing to do with that hipster bullshit.

Also I'm really looking forward to seeing what sort of person Flynn is. All this talk of him is setting up for something.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Glazius posted:

Yuri's attacks are all Cerberus this and Wolf that. I wonder if he's some kind of dog who's turned into a human, and Repede's just having nothing to do with that hipster bullshit.

Also I'm really looking forward to seeing what sort of person Flynn is. All this talk of him is setting up for something.

He also has Dragon and Destruction moves. :eng101:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
And the Azure move. Which is, in my opinion, the best move in the game until you get Chain...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Karol does become the best character in the ps3 version, because he gets his -snipped until further notice- (at about 2:50), which is pretty much The Best Thing.

Warning: Video will spoil every playable character for you

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 20, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That video is full of spoilers, please edit it out considering how early we still are in this LP.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Halure! But first, a skit.

Skit: The Broken Sword
Karol, are you okay...e-even though your sword's still broken?
Nah, it's lighter and feels easier to use!
Now your sword won't be swinging you anymore. Sounds good to me.
Breaking your sword to get it to just the right length... You're obviously some guild's ace!
...Yuri, you didn't break Karol's sword on purpose, did you?
I'm not that good.

Alright, now we can enter.

Watch the cutscene!

Halure... The "City of Blossoms."
Yeah, that's right.
Don't they have a barrier here?
Yes, there should be...
You guys haven't been to Halure before, right? So then you haven't heard about the tree barrier.
Tree barrier?

"The tree barrier of Halure is one prime example of this." I read that in a book.
Well thank you, professor. So what's happened to this famous barrier?

Doesn't look like it's doing much right now.
Every year, just before the blossoms are in full bloom, the barrier weakens for a while. It's just that time of year right now, and the monsters took the opportunity to attack...

Yeah, the monsters were taken care of, but the tree is slowly starting to decay.

A girl runs by.

Hey!
W-what is it?

Does that kid ever sit still?

Doesn't she know we need to keep a low profile? And what happened to looking for Flynn?

Oh my, you can use healing artes? Why, that would be excellent! ...But I'm afraid we don't have very much money...
No no, I don't need any money.
Amazing... The pain is all gone. Th-thank you. Thank you so very much.
Ah, uh, please, don't mention it...
My heavens, what amazing healing artes you have...

No, really, think nothing of it.
What a humble young lady. I wish the Imperial Knights could follow your example.
Woman: Not a chance! The Knights refuse to lift a finger to protect us from the monsters!
Well, I guess the empire couldn't care less what happens to us here.
No...th-that's not true...
Woman: Ah, but that one knight sure was different, wasn't he?
Yes, that young man. If not for him, we would have all been lost. The barrier weakened earlier than usual this year, and we were attacked before the guild could come to protect us. There was a knight who happened to be passing through our town on a pilgrimage. He and his brigade drove off all the monsters.
A knight on a pilgrimage...

Woman: Yes, his name was Flynn Scifo.
Is he still in the city?!
No, he left the village afterwards in search of a mage who could fix the barrier.
Do you know where he went?
It looked like he was headed east, but beyond that I couldn't tell you...
I see. So we can wait here, and Flynn will come to us.
Looks like we've caught up with him. Don't you feel better now?
Yes...I won't be able to relax until I see him, but I guess I feel better.
I think I'll go have a look at this famous tree. Wanna come with?
Ah, yes! Yuri, you don't mind? You're okay not going after the blastia core thief?

The game makes us check up on Karol before we can go look at the tree.

Watch the cutscene!

I kept her waiting so long. She must've gotten mad and left... I wanted to show her Halure's flowers in full bloom... Then maybe...

Where'd she go? Is she really gone? I'm doing the best I can...
Karol?
Let's give him some time alone.
It's over, it's over. It's all over, it's really over. Everything, everything is over...

Ahead, Yuri and Estelle can see three kids.

Kid A: Yeah! We got weapons now! We're gonna beat those monsters!

Kid C: Let's beat up those monsters, just like Flynn!
All Kids: Yeah!
Even those kids are trying to fight... I hope the barrier is restored soon.
Me too.

Skit: Who Is This Karol Kid?
This Karol guy is kind of weird.
He does seem a bit restless, but that doesn't make him a bad person.
He doesn't seem evil, but I'll bet he's got some weird thoughts going on in his head.
You're only saying that because you can see some of yourself in him.
You think the two of us are alike?
Yes. It's like you have genuine emotions, but your pride won't let you show them. So I can't bring myself to dislike him.
Huh...
Did I upset you?
No, that's just some pretty deep insight about people you only just met, is all.
Hey...

Walking along the town road, we eventually reach the big tree in the middle.

The tree's flowers should blossom any day now.
Yeah, I wish I could see it in bloom.
I know how you feel. There's something about the image of a tall tree vibrant with blossoms and protecting the city that's so...romantic. You know, I'm going to stay here and help heal the injured.
Hmm, if you're going to heal something, maybe you could heal the barrier itself?
What do you mean?
When monsters come again, more people are gonna get hurt. Those kids we just saw could be among them.
That's true, but I have no idea how I could heal the barrier.
What you need to heal is this tree. It wouldn't be in this condition just because some monsters attacked it.
You think there's some other reason?
I think there's gotta be.

We're trying to figure out why the tree has withered like this.
I don't know if you'll make much progress on that one. The knight Flynn couldn't figure out the reason either.

...What are you talking about?
It seems these two are trying to figure out the reason the tree's withered so.
Oh, is that all?
What do you mean, "is that all?"
I know the reason. It's why I was in the forest looking for the eggbear...
Huh? What are you talking about?
Look closely at the ground. Notice the strange color? That color is where the ground absorbed the blood of monsters who attacked the town. That blood has been poisoning Halure's tree.
What! The monster blood? I had no idea...
Karol, you really know your stuff, don't you?
...It was nothing.
Is there anything we can do to get rid of the poison?
I know a way, but...well, no one believes me.
Come on, try us.
I think we'd be able to do it if we had a panacea bottle.
Maybe we can get one in the General Store.
Let's go, Yuri!

Off to the store! (which now has a shopkeeper despite having none before)

Skit: The Tree of Halure
I can't wait until the tree's blossoms are in full bloom. They'll be fantastic...
I bet there's a flood of petals big enough to just sweep you away.
All those petals dancing in the breeze... It'd be like a dream...
I wonder how they deal with all their houses getting buried in flowers every year. That's gotta be a pain to clean up.
...You really take the fun out of things, Yuri.

Do you have panacea bottles?
Unfortunately we're sold out at the moment.
But how can that be...?
But you know, if I had the right ingredients, I'd be able to fix some up for you.
What would you need to make it?
I'd need three ingredients: "eggbear claw," "nia fruit," and "luluria petal." But why do you need a panacea bottle so badly? A kid came by the other day asking about the same exact thing.
We want to heal Halure's tree.

Hmmm, yeah...
What sort of thing is this "nia fruit" you mentioned?
That would be that bitter fruit you said was so delicious back in the woods.
So what's an eggbear, then?
Sorry, I can't help you there. Monsters are beyond my expertise. If a member of the Hunting Blades were here they might be able to tell you. They make their living hunting monsters.
So that's why he was in the forest...
What can you tell us about the luluria petal?
You know the tree in the middle of town, right? It's a petal from that tree. Normally we use magic resin but there isn't any around these parts at all.
But the tree is all withered...
I believe the mayor has some luluria petals. You might try asking him.
Gotcha. We'll come back when we've gotten the ingredients together.

Watch the cutscene!

What do you mean?
Remember? "Prepare to die, eggbear!"
You mean you believe what I said about the panacea bottle?
Were you lying?

Karol shakes his head.

Well then, we'll have to go with what you've told us.
Yuri... All right, I'll help you out just this once. I'm a very busy person, you know.

You're coming too, Estelle?
Well, of course I am.
What about waiting for Flynn?
Wasn't it you who said "if you're going to heal something it should be the tree"?
We'll just have to fix the tree before he gets back. Can't wait to see the look on his face.

Skit: Maps
Estelle, what are you looking at?
It's a map of the area around here.
Ooh, let me see...
Hey, this is almost completely blank!
You can't call this a map!
Really?
You should try a surveyors' guild, like the "World's Cellar"! Their maps are really amazing! All the top guild members have one.
So then, naturally you've got a copy, right, Karol? Let's see it!
Uhhh, well, y'see... Once you get as good as I am, you don't need to use a map anymore!
Oh, that's too bad. I really wanted to see it.

Okay, short recap: we need three items. Two are back in the Quoi Woods, one we can get from the mayor. Since we're already right here, let's check with the mayor first.

Who'd you hear that from? I mean, I do, but...

Our party explains the situation.

Ahh, so that's why you need a petal. The luluria is one of the three flowers that blooms on Halure's tree. The petals are dried for half a year in the shade, and they're very valuable. This is my last petal, but if it'll restore the tree to its old self, then I don't mind giving it to you.

Obtained Luluria Petal!

Thank you!
Next up on the list is the nia fruit...and an eggbear claw, was it?
Yep. Let's go to the Quoi Woods.

Before that, I'm gonna do some shopping. Besides the usual recovery items, I get two new weapons:

Skills:
Recover: When thrown into the air or onto the ground, press the guard button to quickly leap back into fighting position. Very useful.
Evade: Raises agility by 5%.

Skills:
Critical: Increases the chance of dealing critical hits.

As we can see here, your characters are usually not limited to a single weapon type. Yuri, for example, can equip both swords and axes, while Karol can equip large swords, axes and hammers. The weapon type also slightly alters your battle performance: Yuri's attacks and artes are a bit slower when he's got an axe equipped.

Next time, we're gonna go back to the Quoi Woods to find an eggbear!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 9, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I love the relationship between Yuri and Karol. And it looks like I'm not the only one who renames Karol to include his proper title. ;)

But yeah I bench poor Karol most of the time. He's an ok healer, but I like as as-yet-unmet character best for healing (although I still bring in Estelle for bosses.)

It's weird seeing Estelle without glasses. I never took them off her.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Oh god, I love the way Yuri says "Prepare to die, Eggbear!"

Seriously, go watch the video if you haven't already.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lance Streetman posted:

Seriously, go watch the video if you haven't already.

Oh poo poo, you're right. It's one thing to repeat something stupid that someone said, but to use that voice with it... really shows just how Yuri sees Karol.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
Now I can post this. Excellent. Keep up the good work, Admiral.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mistaya posted:

It's weird seeing Estelle without glasses. I never took them off her.

I know, right? That was the first thing I made for her, and barring showing off something new, the only thing she wore.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ApeHawk posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. It's one thing to repeat something stupid that someone said, but to use that voice with it... really shows just how Yuri sees Karol.

And it sails right over Karol's head too, because he's so dumbstruck that someone's actually listening to his plan.

EDIT: Actually, FighterKnuckles, that video starts on a part we haven't seen yet. I think you jumped the gun a bit.

Materant fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 19, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FighterKnuckles posted:

Have I mentioned lately how much I like Troy Baker?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Materant posted:

And it sails right over Karol's head too, because he's so dumbstruck that someone's actually listening to his plan.

It's kind of interesting to have the guy who's slow with heavy weapons also be like the monster brain of the party.

Or at least he knows about monsters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Remember to make the Broken Karol Sword into the Broken Karol Sword +1 before you make the Karol Sword or else you can't complete the item book :argh: I was so mad

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeah, that's a really annoying oversight. It's fixed in the PS3 release where you can synth new Karolian Hammers (the broken sword).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Remember to make the Broken Karol Sword into the Broken Karol Sword +1 before you make the Karol Sword or else you can't complete the item book :argh: I was so mad

Yep, did the same thing. :mad:

You can at least carry it over into a New Game+ though, and 'fix' it (i.e. do it right) there for the item book, I think?

One of these days I'll NG+ Vesperia but I have to remember how to play, remember how to GRADE farm, then actually do my NG+. That might happen in a couple years.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Psion posted:

Yep, did the same thing. :mad:

You can at least carry it over into a New Game+ though, and 'fix' it (i.e. do it right) there for the item book, I think?

One of these days I'll NG+ Vesperia but I have to remember how to play, remember how to GRADE farm, then actually do my NG+. That might happen in a couple years.

yeah you can do it in a second playthrough. GRADE farming is easy. Blah blah blah TIDAL WAVE

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Oh I know what you do, I'm just not good at the 'how' part. I also haven't played Vesperia since, what, 2009? It's just out of practice.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Most of the voice acting in this game is just plain awesome. I sat there laughing my rear end off for most of it, marveling at how excellent everyone sounded compared to... anything else voice-acted I had heard recently.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

FighterKnuckles posted:

Troy Baker is awesome in every way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

On the way back to the woods, a skit pops up.

Skit: Karol and Repede
Wh-what's the matter, Repede?
Grrr...
Wh-why are you mad?
H-hold on! You...you don't want to eat me, do you?!
H-help me, Yuri!
Something the matter, Karol?
It's...it's nothing. Heh, ha ha ha ha...
Talk about mood swings...

Watch the cutscene!

Hey, I've been wondering... How come you guys--and Repede too, I guess--all have blastia? Aren't bodhi blastia pretty rare? I didn't think many people had them.
You have one too, though.
I belong to a guild. Sometimes we get a chance to get one. And Ruins' Gate keeps finding more. That's a guild that excavates blastia.
Huh, there are even guilds that dig up blastia from ruins?
If there weren't, then the empire would control all the blastia. Normal folks wouldn't get any.
"The empire regulates the ancient blastia artifacts due to their potential danger" I think that makes sense. If blastia weren't regulated, anyone could use dangerous magic.

Uh, I don't know about...

So anyway, what's your story? How'd you get yours?
I used to be in the Imperial Knights. This was a going-away present. Repede got his as a keepsake of his old owner.
A going-away present? Sounds more like you stole it to me. ...So, what about you, Estelle?
Uh, I got mine from, uh...
Look at her. She's a noble. They all have these.
I knew you were a noble! Well, at least one of you has some class.
Yeah, yeah. Let's go get that nia fruit.

The dungeon is exactly the same as before, so not very interesting. We have to make our way to where our party rested earlier.

Skit: Getting to Know Repede
Do you mind if I scratch behind your ears?
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess it's still too soon for me to pet you.
Let's start over by getting to know each other a little better.
So then...

Repede starts to walk away.

My name is Estellise. You knew that already, right?
Huh? Repede...?
Introducing yourself to an invisible friend?
Ohhh, I won't give up!

Estelle learns two new artes here:

One is Star Stroke, which is pretty much a slow Demon Fang: A shockwave that travels along the ground until it hits an enemy, or has travelled a certain distance.

The other is Barrier, a spell that raises one character's defense temporarily.

Skit: Eat or Be Eaten
Monsters are easier to beat than I thought...
Isn't that better than being harder than you thought?
But I feel sorry for them...
*Whiiine*
...You're way too nice.
I don't particularly enjoy being someone else's dinner.
You're right... This is different from inside the castle... The strong eat the weak.
Well, we're not gonna be eating any of these monsters.
*Woof!*
...I...I won't hesitate to defeat any monsters!
But I will never forget what I fought or where I fought it.
Well...suit yourself, I guess...
Then, when I return to the capital, I will make graves in memory of all the monsters I've killed.
I...uh...I guess you could do that...
...I don't understand this girl at all...
*Whiiine*

Once we reach the place where we rested, Yuri picks up a Nia Fruit on the ground there.

Obtained Nia Fruit.
Next up is the eggbear claw.
Are we going to walk around the woods and look for an eggbear?
No, we'll never find one that way.
Yeah? What'll we do then?
Hand me a nia fruit, would you? I'm going to use it to lure out the eggbear.
The eggbear has very unusual tastes, you see.

Yuri throws him the fruit.

Jeez, you smell horrible!
ME? The smell isn't coming from me!

Please tell us when you're going to do something like that.

Repede collapses.

Oh, no! Repede!
Everyone keep a lookout! An eggbear could come out anytime now. And they're famous for their terrible ferocity.
So then, Captain Karol, I'm assuming that you're going to lead the charge against this terribly ferocious monster?
Of course! But I could use a hand from you, Yuri.
I'll help too. Oh, and Repede also.
Well then, how about we have a bit of a walk around the forest?

Skit: A Nia Fruit? Here?
Why would a nia fruit be lying on the ground in the forest? I didn't see a nia tree nearby...
Oh, that'd be the monsters in the forest. It's how they mark their territory.
Can we really just take it, then? ...I suppose there's no way for us to ask permission.
Yeah, I don't really speak "monster." Karol, they don't teach that in your guild, do they?
The Hunting Blades hunt monsters! We don't need to waste time making friends with them!
...That's a shame.

Just a few steps ahead...

Watch the cutscene and battle!

Suddenly, we hear some rustling in the bushes up ahead.

B-be on your guard, everyone. It's r-really ferocious...!

The star always performs the finishing blow, everybody knows that!

And a monster appears!

Aaah!
T-that's an eggbear...?
Well, I have to hand it to you, Captain Karol, operation stink bomb was a smashing success.
Hey, d-don't go giving my plan weird names.
Stand up straight when you say stuff like that.

Miniboss time!

This guy is really uninteresting, he doesn't even have a single named attack. The monsters he brings with him are random encounters from the woods, so overall this is a fairly easy battle.

He does hit kinda hard, but nothing Estelle or an Apple Gel can't cure.

He goes down before too long.

See? You see what I did? That was nothing!
*whine*
Repede helped too.
...Thanks.

What?! A-anybody can do that. It just comes right off.
Here, let me help too...
...Ugh.
Estelle, why don't you guard the perimeter.
R-right.
Y-you're sure it's totally dead, right?

Karol moves towards the eggbear, while Yuri steps back.

Wow, Captain. If I didn't know you were just goofing around, I'd swear you were really scared.

Yuri goes ahead and fetches the claw.

Obtained Eggbear Claw!
How's the nose, Repede? All right, let's head back..

Skit: Imperial Chef
Yuri, the food you cooked was so delicious! It might even be better than the chefs in the castle!
*Woof!*
Flattery will get you nowhere, you know.
Yuri, how about you become a cook in the castle? I'll write you a recommendation!
*Woof, woof*
You really know how to compliment a guy, Estelle.
You would have to do something with your hair, though. The kitchen staff is very strict.
Just how serious are you?

And that's all we can do here. Let's head back to Halure...

You've gotta be kidding me. Leblanc followed me all the way outside the barrier?
Uh, what? Who followed you?
Oh, just some guys from the Imperial Knights...
Hah hah, yeah, right, the Knights are chasing their own former member.

Wait, seriously?!
(offscreen) I-I say, c-come out now, will you?
(offscreen) Sh-show yourself now and we-we'll spare you a pummeling!
(offscreen) Shaking in your boots at mere rumors...and you call yourselves knights of the Schwann Brigade.
...So, what're they after you for? Vandalism? Fraud? Smuggling? Robbery? Murder? Arson?
Umm, it's really just for jailbreak... Anyway, let's bolt!

We can't do that! It'll get in the way of other people passing through!
Who's gonna be passing through? These woods are "cursed," remember?

Yuri, Estelle and Repede start to leave.

Waah, wait up!

Skit: Barrier Blastia
Even though Deidon Hold was struggling without a barrier, they'd have had issues even with one.
Yes, barriers really do have a big impact on people's day-to-day lives.
Well, they keep people safe from monsters just by being there. It's no surprise it changes things.
I want to help heal Halure's tree as soon as possible so that everyone can feel safe again.

Next time, we'll go back to Halure to heal the tree!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I can't believe that I never noticed that grin on Yuri's face before. Which just makes this scene even more hilarious.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Speaking of going-away presents, will you be covering The First Strike in some fashion?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lance Streetman posted:

That line made the update.

Karol has earned a bit of respect for knowing why the tree is withered.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Speaking of going-away presents, will you be covering The First Strike in some fashion?

Haven't watched that, so most likely not.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

You should. It's really good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh good, the rear end in a top hat Dog times have begun!

Really, the character interaction is what makes this game. The plot's not terrible - far from it in some spots - but it's the characters that really make this game great.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
One of the main reasons this game's characters and acting work I believe is that it all feels organic

There's no specific and convoluted mythos in place, it's just the quest of some dude to make his town survive, and everything develops naturally from that. Yuri, Estelle, and Karol are reconstructions of the usual party archetypes, but less irritating and with their own quirks and foibles, which makes them very refreshing.

The humor and characterization doesn't feel forced as a result, it's all very well acted because it feels like how most people would act in that situation, rather then the usual JRPG pathos.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

The natural tone of the dialogue in this game is a sign of excellent localization. They translated not just the words, but the meaning, and added a few phrases that Americans use. They take it a bit too far sometimes though. A little later in the game, Judith says "I plead the fifth." They have the Bill of Rights on this world! It's impressive that they used that phrase accurately in the context, but still, it's a bit 4th wall bending.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

One thing I really like in this game is the way the character portraits move during the skits. Gives them a lot of personality.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Its a fun movie to watch, but it really doesn't match the events of Vesperia very well, if at all. The best thing about the movie can be summerized in 2 words:

Baby Repede. He's just adorable as a puppy.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

FighterKnuckles posted:

Its a fun movie to watch, but it really doesn't match the events of Vesperia very well, if at all. The best thing about the movie can be summerized in 2 words:

Baby Repede. He's just adorable as a puppy.

:swoon:

He still had a pipe, even then! That is amazingly cute!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now that is a poo poo-eating grin if ever I saw one.

I really need to get back into this. I'm right about to finish what I guess is called act 2, but I burned out waaayyy too hard. :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That video is full of spoilers, please edit it out considering how early we still are in this LP.

Sorry I'm late, didn't have time to check this thread. I did say it will spoil every playable character (and I guess some bosses) but okay, I'll edit it out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like how they're developing Karol. He's got all this useful knowledge because of guild training presumably, but he thinks it's all things that other people know already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What is that indicator over Repede in battle which says "X Gel"? Is he offering one to Yuri, or requesting one for himself?

• Locked thread