Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Considering we're trying to jump to the next page here, I might as well ask, what's the thread's opinion on Tales of Xillia? I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure what to think just yet. Granted, I'm not that far in, as far as I know, anyway, but I'm curious to what the thread's thoughts are.

Edit: Welp, next page, but question still applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Wait Zesteririagifa is a real name? I thought you guys were screwing with me.

e: they named it that way because of "Zest." My suspicions, confirmed :negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Magil of Shadow posted:

Considering we're trying to jump to the next page here, I might as well ask, what's the thread's opinion on Tales of Xillia? I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure what to think just yet. Granted, I'm not that far in, as far as I know, anyway, but I'm curious to what the thread's thoughts are.

Edit: Welp, next page, but question still applies.

It's not quite as finished as something like Vesperia, but what's there I enjoyed. There's a point where you realize "this is where they ran out of time" towards the end, but I enjoyed it up to that point.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Psion posted:

Wait Zesteririagifa is a real name? I thought you guys were screwing with me.

e: they named it that way because of "Zest." My suspicions, confirmed :negative:

To be fair, Vesperia isn't exactly the most Anglo friendly name, but it's an awesome game. Maybe there's some sort of correlation between pronunciation and quality?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ Even Vesperia is a bit questionable of a name. Now stuff like, Abyss, Rebirth, Destiny -- those are actual words!

wdarkk posted:

It's not quite as finished as something like Vesperia, but what's there I enjoyed. There's a point where you realize "this is where they ran out of time" towards the end, but I enjoyed it up to that point.

That sounds about right, for pretty much all aspects of the game. It's still fine, especially if you like the series, but it kinda leaves a bad taste after you're done with it, you know what I mean?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

YamiNoSenshi posted:

To be fair, Vesperia isn't exactly the most Anglo friendly name, but it's an awesome game. Maybe there's some sort of correlation between pronunciation and quality?

Abyss is a very pronounceable name and that game is awesome.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So let's talk Dog Map.

You may remember the Repede Marking Map -- or, pissing contest -- sidequest we started a while ago. If not, we're supposed to have a territory marking battle with Little Wolf.

In practice, this works out like this:

On the world map, you can check which areas are currently under control by whom. Blue is us, red is Little Wolf.

The way to handle this is to tab over to the Field section, and go down the list, one by one. So we start with Mayoccia Plains.

Locate this area on the actual world map.

Make sure the top right corner of the menu has the correct name listed.

Land and use any of the four camping items.

And now this area is under our control, nice!

Repeat that for every field area on the world map, except the few where you can't land. You will have to fight a battle between each two camping item uses.

After a certain amount of areas, a scene will trigger.

Repede...?
Grrrr... Woof woof woof!
Huh...that's...?

(Right, I'm the Little Wolf!)
(Why did you come here?)
(You call that a greeting?)
(After how you've treated me in the past, you expect me to run up to you and lick your face?)
(I see you've already finished marking about half of the places out there as your territory. It looks like I'm going to have to pull out all the stops.)
(Oh? What are you going to do?)
(I'm going to go all out. No more mercy. Just like back in the capital.)
(Wait!)

It's okay! Repede's way too good to be beaten by the likes of him! Isn't that right?

Repede turns away from Karol.

Aww, you don't have to get all embarrassed!
...Not that I really care, but...

Haha, the secret is revealed! Or something. You know, this really doesn't make any sense no matter how you try to interpret it, so just roll with it.

After this, head over to Dahngrest for another scene.

Oh, a cat... ...Meow!

(I've been called that name. Can I help you with something?)
(A vicious dog showed up in town recently, and he's been causing us no end of trouble! He's causing trouble for all of the dogs and cats in town, and the humans, too. Could you please get rid of him?)
(I don't usually do mercenary work, but...)

(...That's him!)
(It's you...!)
(Oh, lookie what the cat dragged in!)
(Stand back, ma'am.)

(Oh, the things some people say. I'm just trying to free this city from the self-serving humans.)
(In our city, humans and animals live together in peace! You should mind your own business!)
(Sucking up to the humans, eh? How pitiful.)
(Sucking up to someone and getting along with them aren't the same thing. But it looks like you never learned the difference, Old Man.)
(As always, you don't know when to keep your mouth shut. How about I shut it for you...for good?)

(As our way of showing our thanks, this town's dogs and cats will work together to make sure your territory around here stays protected.)
(Oh... That'd be real nice of you.)
(It's the least we can do for you, after you made that terrible dog go away.)

Yeah, I think so. Isn't that great, Repede?
Woof!
I'm sure this town's cats don't want it to belong to the likes of the Little Wolf, either.
You know, I have to say... I didn't know all of you were so fluent in the canine language!
Heh heh. That would certainly be a sight to see if it were true.

Now continue with the territory marking.

Once nearly done with the whole world map, head over to Aurnion.

(It looks like you've marked your territory in quite a few places.)
(And now, I'm going to take all of your territory away from you in one swoop.)
(Well then, shall we settle things here and now? If I win, I get to take all of the territory that's currently yours. If you win, I may give you my territory. You could go and take all of it.)
(It sounds like I'm getting the shorter end of the stick, but...)

(If only to keep things interesting.)
(Hmph, enough talk. Let's take this out front!)

What are you carrying in your mouth...?

A trophy, huh...? So your nemesis has been vanquished?
Wooo...

Repede just loving killed him. What a badass. On a more mechanical note, that means that he now no longer has the ability to take our territory. We're nearly done here.

Finish off the rest of the world map, then go to Zaphias.

I see... Repede's marked the whole world as his territory!
It was nice of you to make a marking map to track Repede's progress, Karol!
It was my pleasure!
Everyone's giving Repede their congratulations for a job well done.
Hey, you're pretty popular, Repede!
Ya, lil' Rita's jealous!
Jealous?! Who is jealous?!
Ease up, Rita. Let's celebrate Repede's victory, too.

And that's it! Unfortunately, Repede doesn't get costumes in the 360 version, so this is just a bog standard title.

While we're doing Repede stuff, there's things we can get over at Rich and Karen's inn.

Wait a second, I just realized... they say in multiple cutscenes that they named this place the King of Adventure, right? Hmm.

...Repede...?
Repede? I can't believe it...
Huh? What do you mean?

You don't say...
Were you the one who named him Repede?
No... It was a name given to him by his previous owner.
...Then he must be...
But...
What is it?
...Hold on...

Rich gets something from the cart and hands it to Repede.

Wooo...
Hey now, what's this all about?
...This is an arte that was given to us by your mother...
You see, Repede was the name of one of the pups of a dog who belonged to an acquaintance of my father. But...after my father's friend died, Repede went missing. Soon after, Repede's mother passed away, and she left behind a manual of technique that she used.
There's still no guarantee that Repede's the same person-- dog, I mean-- as the one in your story. It's still okay if we take that?
...Yes... ...Take it...
Hmmm, yes... Only a dog would be able to use that arte, anyway. And it's only fitting that it be kept by a person-- a dog, that is-- who can use it.
Really... Well then, we'll gladly take it.
Woof!
...But you can't read this, can you?

Okay, okay, I'll help you out.

Wooo!

...Yuri, were you up all night too?
Yeah. I'm pooped. Are you happy, Repede?
Wooo!

Repede learns the Shining Fang arte here. In battle it looks like this:

It's kinda like Tempest, I suppose.

There's another scene we can trigger by resting again.

What was that?
Oh my, it looks like some of our things fell from the carriage.

Repede? What's that in your mouth?
Oh, that's the...

That belongs to Repede... That is, the pup of the dog that our father's friend owned. That medal is the mark of a knight's dog. Repede's mother received it from the Imperial Knights. After she died, it was supposed to have been passed on to Repede.
...But no one knew where to find him.
Right. It ended up being entrusted to us, at least until Repede came back. It seems it was mixed up with our bags...

Good job, Repede.
...Amazing...

Wait...isn't this important to you?
...He should be the one to have it...
Woof!
Yes... There's no point to us holding onto it anymore... It seems your Repede has taken a liking to it, too.

I guess it's yours then, Repede... It makes you look pretty distinguished.
Woof!

I don't think this key item does anything.

While we're here, we should finish the Giganto sidequest.

If you remember, the Giganto monsters are those big optional kinda-sorta bosses that run around in some dungeons and parts of the world map. There's a total of nine of them, plus two more in the PS3 version.

If you talk to Rich after beating your first Giganto, you get this scene:

Yeah. We ran into it while we were traveling, and somehow we ended up fighting it.
You have my thanks...
We didn't fight the monster to help you. We just happened to run into it by chance.
Even still...thank you. Take this, at least.

All right, if you've given up on trying to beat them yourself. Though I don't agree with relying on others to do your work for you.
Well, don't worry about it.

Each Giganto gets you one of these key items, and as far as I can tell, they have absolutely no use.

Each subsequent conversation gets you a shorter version of the scene.

...I must thank you. Please, take this.

The Pterobronc seems to be an exception to the rule here, as you get the Pterobronc Claw from the Guild Quest sidequest line instead of from Rich.

If you talk to him without having beaten any new Gigantos, he tells you where to find them, more or less.

He only tells you those you haven't beaten yet, but here's the full list:

...In the very center of Ilyccia... The Chimera Butterfly lives in a garden hidden in a forest...
...On an island off the northeast coast of Ilyccia...The Fenrir dwells in a grove of shining blue quartz...
...In the southern part of Tolbyccia... The Brutal lurks deep in within a closed off forest...
...On the continent of Desier... The Medusa Butterfly lives in a land of scorching waves of yellow sand...
...On the continent of Desier... Below the central mountains, within a deep hole, lives the Hermit Drill...
...On Desier... The Pterobronc makes its home in the barren mountain range in the northwest...
...On the continent of Yurzorea... The Griffin can be found in a certain field...
...A small island floating in the sea...Poseidon lives in a mysterious undersea palace...
...That is all...

PS3 also has:

...On the continent of Tolbyccia... In a deep forest that births aer dwells the Green Menace...
...On the continuous cliffs of Weccea... Somewhere on top lies the Bloody Beak...

Honestly, none of the remaining Gigantos are very exciting, but here's a quick sorta-montage of all of them.

Chimera Butterfly / Baldurdash

Medusa Butterfly / Baldurdash

Griffin / Baldurdash

Brutal / Baldurdash

This fight is probably the most interesting of all of these, because of the small enemies that come with him. He keeps spawning new ones if you kill them.

Brucis / Baldurdash

And this guy is probably the most difficult, I think he has the most HP and his attacks definitely hit the hardest.

Wait, Bulsis?

Someone was clearly sleeping on the job while translating this Giganto's name.

This is the key item we get for beating the Green Menace, which we did a long long time ago:

And here's the other new Giganto monster, the Bloody Beak:

Bloody Beak / Baldurdash
NOTE: We've changed the English name of Yuri's second Mystic Arte to "Angel's Crest", please ignore the name in the video.

I figured I might as well show off Yuri's second Mystic Arte while I was here. PS3-only, Yuri must have equipped Vesperia No. 2, be in Over Limit 4, then hold both the Attack and Arte buttons while executing an Arcane or Altered Arte. The game must also be in a "clear" state, which I suppose means that the title screen must show the New Game+ option.

It's pretty cool.

Anyway, the key item for Bloody Beak is the Bloody Eye.

Beating all of the Gigantos gives us an Achievement or Trophy and a skit:

Achievement/Trophy:

Big Game Hunter

Skit: Enjoying Victory / Baldurdash
With that, we've beaten all the world's Giganto Monsters!
I was a little spooked at first, but...we did it.
We probably couldn't have done it if they gathered together like normal monsters.
Maybe they were just really territorial? ...That could have helped us beat them.
And we got a lot of valuable materials, too, since they were a lot stronger than normal monsters.
Yeah. It was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it!
And defeating all of the Giganto Monsters will help Brave Vesperia's reputation, as well.
How? It's a few monsters in parts of the world people have only heard stories about.
Yeah, these guys aren't the kind ya run across unless ya set out to.
Well, what's wrong with just being happy about it?
You don't seem too happy, Yuri.
Hmm? Yeah... I mean, I feel a sense of accomplishment, but also kind of empty...
Me too... Every time I beat a really tough enemy, I feel a little lonely inside...
...I'm pretty sure that's just the two of you...
These fighting addicts, I swear...

Random fun thing that happened to me in the desert while searching for the Medusa Butterfly

You can shoot those skeletons! And sometimes, you get random herbs if you do that!

Anyway, once we've beaten them all, we can return to Rich and rest for another scene. You might be able to trigger this before beating all of them but I'm not sure.

Why don't you stay and rest? Go on!

...Hmpf...

So you're looking at that sword again...the one that belonged to someone you respect?
...This sword belonged to His Highness Regin, the brother of the Emperor.
Regin...isn't that the "King of Adventure" you mentioned earlier? The one you named your inn after?
...A while back, His Highness led an expedition into the wilderness... ...It was called the Regin Expeditionary Force... ...My father was a member of that force...
So is the expeditionary force still active?
...You don't know...? ...You haven't heard what happened...?
Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable about famous historical figures.

Ah, Karol mentioned something about that... So you've set out to avenge your father?
...To avenge my father... No, it's nowhere near that noble... ...If I defeat the Giganto Monsters, I can finally go back to my hometown... ...At least, that's what I planned on doing... But these days, we've been reduced to mere wanderers...
What's so bad about that?
...I must defeat the Giganto Monsters... ...Otherwise, we'll never be free...
The Giganto Monsters means too much to you to be able enjoy the wandering life, eh?
...I see.

After this, talk to Rich again.

Yeah... We ended up beating them all ourselves.
Thank you...
Thanks to you wonderful people, we can finally go back to our hometown!
...That's true, but... ...Let's keep traveling for a while...
Huh...? Why?! We can finally go home! You can see your father! I'm sure he'll acknowledge our marriage, now!
Huh? Did you just say "marriage?"
...Yes...
But wait...aren't you two brother and sister...?
My father and Rich's father were both members of the Regin Expeditionary Force together. Because of that, the two of us have been friends since we were kids, and we've been as close as siblings.
But you're not actually siblings...

Is this is a Japan thing? I don't even know anymore.

For that reason, he said he would never acknowledge our marriage until we defeated all of the Giganto Monsters.
...And I was planning on doing that, too... ...To fulfill His Highness's lifelong wish...
But defeating a Giganto Monster by yourself? That's insane!
...Yes... It's insane. Suicide, probably. But that wasn't enough to make me stop...
Yuri So you just got into the habit of wandering around... You should've told us all this sooner. You should've asked us for help. We could've gotten it taken care of faster.
...I'm sorry.
...Come on, let's go back. Let's go back to your father...
...Why not just keep things the way they are...? We won't need to be tied down by all the formalities of marriage... ...We can just wander around forever... That wouldn't be so bad, would it? ...Forever, together.
Big brother...
...What the...

...No, that's not true... ...You've brought honor back to my father...and to His Highness Regin as well...
His Highness' biggest hope was that people could live in peace, without having to worry about being attacked by monsters. That's was why he traveled around the world. ♥
...If you ever meet my father in your travels... ...Please tell him that all of the Giganto Monsters have been defeated...

Sure, I can try to remember.
...Really... ...Thank you...
If you're going to thank anyone, you should thank our monster-hunting all-star, right here.
You mean m-me...?
...Such a large weapon for such a small person... ...Fantastic... And still just a boy... ...Truly fantastic... ...You've got potential...
H-heh, thank you!
...It's just like a valiant, unfinished sword...
That reminds me, I've got something for you. Please come with me to the carriage.

Typo, this is supposed to be our crazy italian friend.

He said this is for when I have kids...But I'm not even married yet. ♥
Do you really want us to have this?
Yes, this'll probably be too big for kids, even when I do have them one day.
We must be some special guest to receive this...

It suits you.
Yeah...very kiddy?
If you happen to see our carriage again, please stop by and say hi! We'll always have room for you to stay the night! ♪
Thank you!
No, thank you!

More costumes are always great!

The father is, indeed, in Capua Torim.

I wonder where he could be...
Hey, would you happen to be the father of Rich, by any chance?
You...know Rich?
Yes, we met him while we were traveling.
Where is my son...?

He's on a journey, then... I see... That's why he wasn't in any of the cities.
Oh, but Rich wanted us to tell you... All of the Giganto Monsters have been beaten.
What the... The two of them managed that...?
No, we were the ones who beat them, actually. We even have proof.
These are from the Giganto Monsters... Amazing... This is simply amazing. If you happen to meet Rich again in the course of your travels... Would you mind telling him that I'll allow their marriage? Tell him that he should come back home!
Okay, I will!

And back to Rich to report.

I saw your father... I passed on your message for you.
...Is that so... Thank you...
He says you can come home whenever you want. He'll allow your marriage.
...Is that so... ...Perhaps our wanderings will take us to Capua Torim someday... That would be a good time to visit...
Yes.
You've been unusually quiet, old man.
Whaddaya mean? I'm just a quiet guy!

"What, yer married? I was all ready ta propose an' everythin'!"
Something like that.
Nah, I prefer older, more mature women. You know, like Judith. Ya still don't really get me, Rita. Maybe ya never will.
I don't know why you'd think I'd want to "get" you...

And that's all for today. Next time: The Labyrinth of Memories! Stay tuned!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 1, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've always liked the idea that the marking quest was just your party members making something up whenever you meet that particular dog.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
Repede just murdered someone. I'd be more surprised, but this is Yuri's dog we're talking about here.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

XaviortheSavior posted:

Repede just murdered someone. I'd be more surprised, but this is Yuri's dog we're talking about here.

What's dog-speak for "I learned it watching you!"?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Today, it's time for the bonus dungeon.

To unlock this dungeon, you need to have gone to Phaeroh's Crag right before Zaude and do the scenes in fake Yormgen. If you don't, well, no bonus dungeon for you on that playthrough. The developers probably realized that this was a huge dick move after release (or maybe just got some negative feedback), so in the PS3 version, this dungeon is no longer missable. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you head to present-day Yormgen after beating Duke if you haven't done the "normal" way to unlock it, or maybe the scene we'll see in Dahngrest in a bit just triggers without the prerequisites. I should probably check this more thoroughly.

Anyway, we're going back to fake Yormgen.

Somehow, it is now filled with all the NPCs that we saw way back during the Yormgen illusion after we passed out in the desert.

Our objective is talking to the Sage.

Haven't we already met?
It looks like he's forgotten.
He didn't forget... It's more like...we're back in the past now.
Yes. The town's bustling with people now, too.
What are you whispering about over there? Ah, perhaps you would like to hear an interesting story?
I don't have the time to listen to any epic sagas, gramps.
No, it'll be quite short, I assure you.
All right, then. Lay it on us.

And then, out from the stacks of books...

...I cannot believe this... He's been talking for two hours now...
Err...perhaps you could get to the point of the story?
What do you mean? This part is very important, and interesting, too!
Come on, get ta the good stuff!
Oh, all right. So, ultimately, I found a certain book in the stacks. And in this book, the following was written:

When the maiden of beauty sets out on a journey, she will come down to the fourth dimension, keeping watch over a fiery youth. Receiving the love of heaven, she will descend into a human body, and will revolt against the heavens. Eh? Pretty interesting, don't you think?
Is it?
What mysterious proclamations... It's very interesting, indeed.
Would you like to read more? I can give it to you, if you'd like.
You don't mind?
No, not at all. I've already memorized the whole book anyway.

Thank you very much!
You sure do like books, Estelle.

We can talk to him again for this line that I'd love to actually hear the story of, but otherwise we're done here.

Next stop is Dahngrest for a short scene.

(Imagine some screen shaking here.)

Other NPC: I think it came from the west.
That...seemed a little different from an earthquake.
Yes, it felt like there may have been a landslide.
That'd be one doozy of a landslide.
Let's go have a look.

Roughly west of Dahngrest are the Truffdae Mountains. If we went here before the scene in Dahngrest, we would have seen this:

However, now, they have changed to this:

Approaching the changed area triggers a scene.

Yes... Wasn't this area supposed to be a mountain range?
It seems that the rumble we heard back in Dahngrest came from here.
...Ya sayin' an entire mountain collapsed here? That's a pretty big cave in.
Deep beneath a steep and winding mountain range, on the sixth continent of Yurzorea, slumbers a man who transcends time...
Huh? Wasn't that what was written in that book you got back in Yormgen...?
Yes.
Hmmm... It might have something to do with this. Let's go down and have a look.

And down here, we can find this... dimensional rift or whatever it's supposed to be.

We can enter it like any other town or dungeon, so let's do just that, after I restock items and rest up.

Gives ya the heebie-jeebies, doesn't it?
Come out and show yourself!
Sounds like someone gets off on threatening people. Time for a beat-down!
But it doesn't seem like there's anyone here at all...
Wh-what do you mean, Estelle? I-I'm s-sure he's just really good at hiding... Yeah! That's it!

There might be something to be said for listening to a warning, though.

S-so-so, I guess we should s-stop, right? I mean, there's nothing here anyway...right, guys?
Yes, let's get going.
Let's look around a little more.
Urgh...

As soon as this scene is done the game throws this message at you:

Once you proceed, you cannot go back! Have you made up your mind?

Picking no just returns you to the world map. If you say yes, your on-screen character gives a short quip. You only ever see one of them, so here's the full list:

Yeah, I've made up my mind. Let me pass.
Of course I have! I'm going in.
I-I've made up my mind...!
Argh! I've had enough of your scare tactics! You'd better be ready for ME, punk!
Yes, of course. Let me pass, please.
Yeah, yeah, I've made up my mind. Ya got me curious not ta wanna see what yer hidin' in there.

Then pass. You're about to enter an infinite and merciless labyrinth from which you can never return, where hopeless confusion awaits you!

Sounds good to me! Bring it on!
...Here I go...
...L-labyrinth...?! Oh man, I hope I don't get lost...
Who's afraid of a little labyrinth?! Not me...
Hehe, sounds like this could be fun.
Eek, scary...Maybe I should've brought a change of diapers...

And we're inside... for the lack of a better word. Welcome to the Labyrinth of Memories.

Huh...? Don't I know this place?
This is Zaphias... Why...?
Ha ha...
I don't know how they're doing this, but I get the idea.
What idea...?
This is some sort of illusion, yeah? Let's have as much fun here as possible.
Can we have fun in a place like this...?

Oh, that's very useful to know! Thank you. You're very thoughtful!
We don't need you to tell us to be careful. Let's go.

I'm almost certain the design document for this dungeon included both "make this as long as possible with the least amount of effort" and "make the player not actually want to do this place". It sucks. But first things first.

You may notice this brown filter over the area. You will see this filter the entire dungeon, so get used to it. This also goes for this music, as well as

this great motion blur whenever anything on-screen is moving.

Every area of this place has one or more of these dimensional rifts that leads further into the dungeon. This area has two. Both of these will lead to a different area, as well as trigger the same scene:

That makes one!

What's with this coin?
It's not Gald...

Wh-where is that voice coming from...? N-not like I'm scared or anything...
Hey...you wanna go back?
I don't think we can.

If you wish to return to the land of the living, then it would be wise to gather up coins.

Looks like savin' up those coins is 'bout all we can do.
That is, unless we want to stay here for the rest of our lives!
C-cut out the jokes!
Oh, all right. ...Let's keep going.

Big Reason #1 why this place sucks: Fake Gald. To actually finish this place, we need to collect a total of fifteen Fake Gald. Apart from the first one here, getting Fake Gald is completely random. You may get one after beating a boss, and you may get one from treasure chests. I believe the drop rate increases in later areas of the dungeon, but that could be complete coincidence.

So hey, there we a chest right next to us in that cutscene, wasn't there? Let's open that!

Welp.

Big Reason #2 why this place sucks: All treasure chests are locked until you have defeated all enemies in the area. The contents of these chests is random, and may contain anything from Gald (pretty common) to usable items to accessories to Fake Gald (super rare). It feels like later areas in the dungeon give you better stuff than earlier areas.

So you'd think, okay, sure, if the treasure only gives you random pointless stuff but requires you to fight all enemies, and later areas of the dungeons with bosses give you better chance of Fake Gald, might as well just ignore the early random enemy fights and rush through to the end, right?

Nope. Reason #3: The dimensional rifts to the next area don't spawn until you have defeated all enemies in the area! Which means that the lock on treasure chests is entirely pointless and just means you have to backtrack through the area once all enemies are dead. Game design!

The enemies around here aren't very exciting. They're always one of three groups: Enemies that would normally be in the area, enemies that would be in the final dungeon, and like three enemies that are actually exclusive to this place.

Enemies are dead, which means we can advance and open the chest(s). I'll skip over most of this after the first room.

Entering the only warp in this area goes to:

You may have noticed that all of these areas are areas we've been in before. This leads into reason #4: the layout. Since they're just using stitched together areas from before, you will have no clue how any of these are actually connected unless you have a map or diagram.

GameFAQs is to the rescue:

(http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/945075-tales-of-vesperia/faqs/54060)

This looks a bit confusing, but is actually not too bad. We start at the bottom and all paths are one-way.

Thanks to how the middle section of this place is laid out, it will take you a total of at least five visits of this dungeon to see every area once, but only four visits are required to meet and scan every enemy for the monster book. Unfortunately, this is not an issue.

And they didn't even bother to properly section the areas off for the revisit here, I am running up against an invisible wall in that screenshot above.

Here's some or maybe all of the memory dungeon exclusive enemies.

Some of the chests are jokes, thanks RNG.

Imagine more rooms like these here, there really isn't even a point to show them off, they're all places we've already seen but with a brown filter.

Eventually, we will get to a boss:

The bosses count as different scans and actually have different stats than originally, and also remove all the in-battle events and dialogue and whatever, but are otherwise identical as far as I can tell. Same movesets, same AI.

After defeating either Yeager or Schwann for the first time, a scene triggers:

Wh-what...?

...The last battle caused a rift to open up in space...!

...! Maybe we can go outside from here!

Y-you cannot go outside! Th-the only way out is to make it all the way to the end, of course!

The mysterious voice sounds a bit more flustered than usual.
Looks like we can get out of here after all.
Surely you're not suggesting that we go back after coming this far?
Sometimes the best strategy is to run. It might be a good idea to go back to recover our energy.

If you leave now, you'll have to start from the beginning the next time you enter! Do you still aspire to such folly...?!

If you decide to leave:

We're going to step out for a bit.

W-wait...

So, are we leaving or not? Come on!

Alas, they got away...

If you stay:

We're going to keep going.
H-huh...? You want to keep going?
Do you really want to have to start all over again from the very beginning?
I don't really see why we need to ever come here again...
But if we don't find out who the voice is, Rita will be too scared to sleep at night.
W-what are you talking about?!
Are you saying you could just chalk it up to ghosts and forget about it?
Th-there's no such thing as ghosts!
Ah, good. Then we can get moving.

Hee hee hee... I admire your courage...

I actually do take a short trip outside to trigger the skit (since all audio in the memory dungeon gets an echo effect which is pretty annoying), which forces me to start over from the beginning. Getting out here isn't too terrible, only makes you redo four or five rooms, so let's ignore that and jump straight back to where we were:

Skipping past most of these rooms...

This one is interesting because in the actual game it's only used for a cutscene, way back when we first met Barbos and Ioder. Here we can actually run around on it. Strange priorities, although I suppose they might have already created the non-cutscene map before they realized they only needed it for a scene.

Two.

You sometimes get to fight battles like Estelle or Schwann with them being in your party as well, which is kinda neat and silly.

These black warps have some requirement to go through them, in this case you need to have finished the Giganto sidequest.

Like I said before, assuming I didn't get extreme RNG, later areas have better items than earlier ones, so it would be much more efficient to just run back here instead of fighting a million random enemies.

Three.

Four. This is also a cutscene-exclusive room, I believe.

And back here is the end-of-dungeon locked warp, which needs the 15 Fake Gald:

End of run 1: Four Fake Gald. This is actually pretty good, on average you only seem to get around two per run.

Fake Gald (thank loving god) carries over between trips to this dungeon, but everything else resets, including chests. A single run through this dungeon usually takes somewhere around an hour, I guess.

Let's just speed through this until we get to interesting stuff again. Second run:

Here's another of these cutscene-only areas, this time the scene in Baction with the Schwann reveal.

Five.

And end of run two, only one Fake Gald.

Third run:

Sometimes you actually get nice stuff from the random chests!

This area is weird because, for some reason, you can't open the menu here. No idea why. I believe it's fixed in the PS3 version.

Fourth run:

Fifth run:

Yay, we're finally done here! Of course, the game proceeds to troll me hard:

Running total: 18 Fake Gald in 5 runs, which is insanely good actually.

So what actually is behind this locked warp?

...Then...can we get out of the labyrinth from here?
Or maybe it leads to the land of the dead?

That is your own choice.

Our choice...?

Aaack!
Is this... Is this the one the book was referring to...?

Death will be more than happy to take you into her cold embrace. Hee hee hee...

We eat guys like that for breakfast! Come on, it's go time!

Watch the battle! / Baldurdash

It's Kratos! In case you don't know, he's one of the main characters in Tales of Symphonia.

He fights a lot like he did back in Symphonia, and overall this is a pretty fun fight.

He's also got his Mystic Arte, which as far as I remember was exclusive to the PS2 port of Symphonia.

But yeah, fun fight, not too hard but not a cakewalk either. It's too bad this is part of such a terrible dungeon, really!

L-look at that! Your trickery doesn't work on us anymore! Now show yourself!!

...I said, show yourself...

..."Don't think this is the end?" What's this all about?
I'm not sure, but it sounds ta me like he's gotta bad case of sour grapes. I guess this means we're not through with him?
But isn't that an exit right up ahead...?
I'm not sure... Let's go and see...

And with this, we have everything we need to do everything in the Coliseum!

Oh, and in case you wonder, the chests here are randomized crap, just like the rest of the dungeon. Thanks game.

Let's get out of here.

Phew... Thank goodness.
Aww, I wanted to play a little more.
Should we come back again? We can try a different route next time!
You're not funny! Stop it!

Hmmm... No idea on that one.
A ghost, probably.
I told you! There's no such thing as ghosts!! I'm sure it was just some lame old mage who gets a kick from making illusions for people to get lost in!
All right, let's leave it at that, then.
Good idea. Otherwise Rita'll be in a rotten mood all week.
But whaddaya think would make anyone wanna do that?
Our money, maybe?
No way...
It's nice to see the world is still full of mysteries.
Yes, I agree.

I second that. We should go before we get yanked into another labyrinth.
Okay, okay.

Achievement/Trophy:

Ahhh, Memories

Apparently there's another scene if you're insane enough to actually go back in again, but I couldn't get it to trigger.

Wait wait! Are you GOING BACK INSIDE?!
Yeah. Do you mind? You mind, don't you?
...Yes.
We don't need to be here anymore, do we?
It's just an illusion made by some mage, right? What's there to be afraid of?
N-nothing, but even so...

Rita shares my sentiments.

A short note on the PS3 version of this dungeon, since I kinda ignored that. It's mostly the same with a few minor changes:
- The Tison/Nan battle adds Clint into the fight.
- A room with The Don is added between Zagi and Duke.
- A room with Seifer is added between Estelle and Gigalarva.
- A room with Green Menace is added between Chimera and Pterobronc.
- A room with Bloody Beak is added between Medusa and Duke.

It also feels like you get less Fake Gald in the PS3 version, but that could be completely random chance screwing me. Or maybe they increased the drop rate for the European 360 version or something. Who knows. (The PS3 version is clearly based off the JP/US 360 version.)

Going through the dungeon a couple times got me a couple skits:

Skit: Around the World, Thanks to Karol / Baldurdash
It feels like we've been all over the entire world.
I'd read about some of the places in books, but we've gone to lots of places I'd never heard of!
Ah, ya gotta admire the youthfulness...the sweet naivete!
What? Are you too old and withered to appreciate anything anymore?
Oh! You're terrible! I am as innocent an' pure as a newborn babe...
Judy, you've been around the world on Ba'ul, right? Did you know most of the places we went?
No, not at all.
There were a lot of places I'd never seen before.
See? Wasn't it a good idea to join Brave Vesperia? Look how far we've come!
I feel like I really have a sense of how big the world is now. It wasn't that way in the castle.
You see?
Don't be getting all cocky, Karol. It's not like you had anything to do with it.
Now ya know how I feel, kid! Come ta ol' Raven's arms.
Misery loves company!

Skit: The Strongest Guild

I don't care how many enemies we've beaten, you guys are just too full of yourselves!
But I don't think any enemy could stand up to us at this point!
See, even cute li'l Judith says so! ♥
But doesn't this make you a little uneasy? Getting this strong...
What do you mean?
What if everyone is afraid of us, or no one wants to be anywhere near us...?
Or maybe they'll capture us, and put us in a cage for everyone to see!
I-I see... I hadn't thought about that...
Come on, that would never happen!
Hey, a life of luxury in a cage, people attendin' ta my every need!
Doesn't sound bad ta me!
...No matter how strong they get, some people never change...
...Heh heh... You're one to talk, Yuri.

Skit: Check It Out!
Look, look! I filled up the Monster Book!
Oooh! Let me see!
We sure have fought a lot of different kinds of monsters.
But it looks like there are still a few blank pages left...
I'm sorry... I don't know if I'll ever be able to finish it...
You're not the only one working on it, though.
Huh...?
Right. That book is the product of all our battles together.
That's right, Karol. You can't give up!

We can now also do this scene since we've discovered all towns and dungeons:

Yes. I was just thinking about all the different places we've traveled to.
Oh, I'm so jealous!

Well, we stay away from towns and strange places, so...
Oh, really?
Yes... A carriage operating an inn would look pretty out of place in a city, don't you think?
Perhaps...
Yes...and we stay away from dark forests, deep gorges, and the like... Such destinations are far too dangerous.
Ah...
...Could you maybe tell a little about the different places you've been to?
The places I've been to? Ummm...
Yes, please. I'd love to hear.
Well, then... First off, there's the capital...

...Wow. You've had quite a trip!
Well, we still have a good ways left to go... Ah, it's getting late...
Oh! I'm sorry! I completely lost track of time!
No, it's okay!

Yes, of course. I'll come again.
Hee hee, I can't wait to hear what happens next! ♪

Filling the whole world map also gets us an achievement -- though this is technically related to map fill rate, not town/dungeon discovery, but hey, close enough.

Achievement/Trophy:

Map Nerd

And that's it for today! Next time: The Coliseum!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 1, 2016

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
It's pretty neat that they managed to get Cam Clarke back to do lines for just one little cameo battle, even if it is one of the most fun fights in the game. Odd amount of localization typos, though, like one of his artes being called Fierced Demon Fang and him saying "Twin Demon Fang!" when the screen says Double Demon Fang.

It is also kind of ridiculous that it "only" took you five runs through the dungeon. Seriously, it cannot be expressed in screenshots just how dull it is going back and forth through this place over and over again. The fact that you can't save really hurts, too.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Wow that bonus dungeon looks awful. Here I thought that Xillia's was the laziest bonus dungeon, but no this is way worse.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

XainZero posted:

Wow that bonus dungeon looks awful. Here I thought that Xillia's was the laziest bonus dungeon, but no this is way worse.

At least with Xillia's you only have to do it three times.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

It's pretty neat that they managed to get Cam Clarke back to do lines for just one little cameo battle, even if it is one of the most fun fights in the game. Odd amount of localization typos, though, like one of his artes being called Fierced Demon Fang and him saying "Twin Demon Fang!" when the screen says Double Demon Fang.

Yeah, it's surprising they got him for what can't be more than like five minutes of audio (he also does the Yormgen sage in this scene).

There definitely are a bunch of typos and stuff here, I even fixed the most egregious one because come on. I ran across this article recently that claimed that there were some late localization issues and a team different from the excellent 8-4 had to finish the last couple things, so I wonder if the errors come from that.

Wild Knight posted:

It is also kind of ridiculous that it "only" took you five runs through the dungeon. Seriously, it cannot be expressed in screenshots just how dull it is going back and forth through this place over and over again. The fact that you can't save really hurts, too.

Yeah, seriously, I got really lucky.

XainZero posted:

Tales games in general seem to have a bad track record with bonus dungeons! Symphonia had that terrible demon book, Abyss had the super boring cave where you have to dig through walls by spending tons of cash, Eternia's is absolutely impossible unless you have mastered the game, Destiny had this annoying labyrinthine cave with limited character picks, Symphonia 2 had this ridiculous thing...

I mean, I can understand why you don't put a lot of effort into content that won't be seen by the vast majority of players, but it's still kinda ridiculous.

Graces had an alright bonus dungeon actually, I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2014

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
By the time I got the the bonus dungeon, I was on second playthrough and so ridiculously overleveled that I just mashed attack and beat everything. Didn't make it any less boring. I think I had to go through 8 times to get enough fake gald.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Graces had an alright bonus dungeon actually, I guess.

It says a lot about the series when "Here's some randomized rooms in space or something, now fight a boss" is significantly better than the rest of the series...

The bosses were really cool though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Momomo posted:

It says a lot about the series when "Here's some randomized rooms in space or something, now fight a boss" is significantly better than the rest of the series...

The bosses were really cool though.

Some of them even had a few unique moves.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I kind of enjoyed the Labyrinth of Memory - I was having fun with the combat system, and the chance to brutalize Gattsuo repeatedly was worth it. Also handy for grinding some artes like Yuri's Brutal Fang.

I mean, not great, but I had fun with it. The boss memories were the highlight, though, an improvement might have been to just have those.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Do you have to fight each one of the boss memories once to get all the monster scans? Doesn't that just add runs since everything is one way?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Do you have to fight each one of the boss memories once to get all the monster scans? Doesn't that just add runs since everything is one way?

Yup! But thanks (haha) to the Fake Gald it's not a problem, you can get all scans in four runs.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Yeah, gently caress this dungeon. It literally took me about a week to get all the loving fake gald. :negative: The only bright side is that I came out of it with a metric fucktonne of money and XP. But it's just such a slog. It's even worse because I played it on an SDTV, and that poo poo-coloured filter makes it really hard to see.

It took me several runs of getting absolutely nowhere and trying in futility to memorise all the paths that I just said gently caress it and went to gamefaqs. I didn't even know the long path existed prior to seeing the very map you posted. :downs: I remember that I seemed to get fake gald far more often on the long path, but that may just be confirmation bias.

On the bright side, Kratos is one of my favourite fights in the game, and it's great that they got Cam Clarke back for it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Welcome to the Coliseum! Today's entire update is dedicated to Nordopolica's Hundred Man Melee event.

We're currently seeking challengers for Palestralle's famous Hundred Man Melee! Only true warriors need apply! ♪
Oh ho, so they finally brought back the Hundred Man Melee, did they?
What's that, old man?
It's a regular event here in the coliseum. Basically, ya got a single fighter goin' up against a whole buncha people. They say ya gotta have a whole lotta guts ta make it through.
Wow... I was wondering what would happen to the coliseum after Belius died... But it looks like they're going strong.
You want to give it a go?
Yes, that's a good idea. Revenue from the event might help with the reconstruction of Nordopolica.
Ummm... Wh-which of us should do it, you think? Not me, right?
Hold your horses. We still haven't decided if any of us will sign up. For now, let's just find out some more details.

Flavor text or subtle commentary on game development? You decide. This is where the PS3 version has the Team Melee, after all.

Anyway.

Before we can do the 100 Man Melee, we need to do the 30, 50 and 80 versions.

The way all of these work is that you register a single character, then head up into the arena.

In here, you get to fight one battle, with lots of enemies.

New enemies keep spawning in when you kill old ones.

You also have a time limit, but it usually isn't a problem.

The enemy list is completely pre-determined, no randomness or anything.

At specific points, special enemies will spawn, such as:

These guys! In shiny golden armor, too.

So far this sounds pretty neat, but there's one unfortunate caveat to this entire thing.

Namely: Later challenges are just extensions of the previous ones. In other words, even in the 100 Man Melee, you start with these exact 30 enemies. Considering the requirements here to actually get everything, this gets very tiring.

Alright, so enough of the mechanics, let's skip to the 100 Man Melee and actually show this off.

All of the "special" enemies in here have a in-battle conversation with some party member. To save us some time and sanity, let's assume we can switch characters on the fly to show these off efficiently. Most of these enemies require their corresponding Letter of Challenge in your inventory to actually show up.

If you want to listen to the conversations in the moment, here is a supercut of them. (Baldurdash)

The first special enemies are, as mentioned, Adecor and Boccos. They get a conversation with Yuri.

Listen to the full conversation!

I say, today is the day you lose!
We will take you back to the capital!
These guys never learn...
You should get an award or something.

Then go ahead! Praise us, I say!
All right, then keep up the good work! Too bad that's not gonna do anything for you in the real world.
Hey! How dare you mock what we are trying to accomplish!

Second is Nan, who obviously gets a conversation with Karol.

Karol, show me how much you've grown!
Okay, I guess. But... do we really have to fight?
I won't rest easy until we do. I have to do this for myself!

I don't really get what you're saying...
Doesn't matter. Come on!
W-Why?

Shortly after that is Tison, who Judith shouts at.

Oh you're the ones who played with Ba'ul.
What is your relationship to that monster?!
He's my friend. And he's not a monster.

I can't believe this... some monster's friend is preaching to me.
Well then, I just have to beat some sense into you!
Ooh, that sounds like fun!

Close to the end we run into Gauche and Droite, who only talk with Raven.

I will avenge Yeager!
Sorry, I apologize, so let it go already.
Okay, fine.
Shut up, Droite!

Aww, are you two breaking up?
No no no, we never fight!
Right. So shut up and start fighting.

Just like that? Looks like you got a little squabble going.
Nope, we're done. Let's fight!
Droite, we need to talk when we get back.
Ugh...

And the final 100th enemy that spawns depends on who you're playing is.

If you're Karol you get another Nan.

H-Hey, didn't I beat you earlier?
I only lost cause I felt bad. One more fight!
Why do you have to fight me to prove yourself?

I... I like strong men, like master.
Okay... but, what does that have to do with us fighting?
Take a guess, you idiot!
I don't know!

If you're Yuri, you get Flynn!

So, the acting commandant is just killing time here?
I have an important mission! I watch and punish dangerous people!
Like me? Haha, hey, you're associating with a criminal like me, so, I guess you're dangerous too.

You just can't stay quiet, can you?
I guess we can't just stand here yelling at each other!
Yeah, I think it's time for swords.

And if you're anyone else, you just get... this guy.

He's just a random dude, but he's unique to this place, for some reason.

And that's the basic idea and progression of the 100 Man Melee.

But wait, there's more! By having the Letter of Challenge (Legend) and beating the 100 Man Melee with any three characters, so let's say, Yuri,

Estelle,

and Rita, we unlock:

The Mysterious Two Hundred Man Melee!

So as cool as this sounds, it just adds another 100 on top of the existing 100 Man Melee.

For the most part, the enemies here aren't very exciting.

But at around 140 enemies, suddenly:

Hello there, Dhaos! What are you doing here?

So for people not familiar, he's the big bad of Tales of Phantasia.

He's got a couple magic spells, as well as the badass Dhaos Blast.

And a loving Laser, too! This guy's awesome!

Unfortunately, as you might have noticed, he doesn't actually do a lot of damage. You almost inevitably level up a lot during the multiple runthroughs of the Labyrinth of Memories, and beating it is required to access the 200 Man Melee. So that dungeon haunts us even after we've beaten it!

But hey, enjoy his attacks anyway.

He even has a Mystic Arte! Here's a video of it and the Mystic Artes of our remaining guests. (Baldurdash)

Roughly 20 enemies later, we run into another familiar face:

This is Shizel, the final boss of Tales of Eternia.

Guest number three is another major boss:

Barbatos, from Tales of Destiny 2. He comes complete with his signature item-hating trait in form of a Mystic Arte:

And while I'm usually all for English dubs, come on, you can't say no to Norio Wakamoto. We'll eventually hear him in some PS3 footage.

And to close off our cameo party,

oh, it's just Kratos again. I guess that's fine, but kinda boring after the previous three bosses. He has the same stuff as before.

And that's the Coliseum!

So what do we get from beating all of this? Well, the first time we beat the 200 Man Melee, we get a really nice set of items:

No Skills

The best of these is clearly the Dhaos Cape, because:

Hell loving yes, so awesome! Look at that gigantic range!

Apart from that, every character gets something unique for winning the 100 Man Melee and the 200 Man Melee. Getting all of these takes a while, although you can make this sorta-automatic, if perhaps longer, by setting the difficulty to Easy and the character to Auto, assuming your character are high-level enough to let the AI that is not at all made for solo fights handle it.

The wins from the 100 Man Melee are:

Yuri:

Assassin: Increases attacks and lessen damage received against humanoid enemies.
One Man Show: Defeat all enemies single-handedly to receive extra EXP.
Loner: All status increases if last one standing on the battlefield.

There must have been some error here, why does Yuri get a Karol-exclusive item? Also the game doesn't tell you you get the Hyper Armor, it just shows up in your inventory.

Estelle:

Estelle gets a costume title! It's pretty cute and comes with a matching weapon set.

No Skills

No Skills

Angel's Tear: Automatically revive from KO once per battle.

Supposedly, you can trigger some special particle effects if you have this set equipped, but I couldn't figure it out. Whatever.

Karol:

Charge Smash: Guard Break enemy defenses during Mighty Charge. Super Armor excluded.

Rita:

Liner Shot: Basic attack will change to small energy shots. Capable of ranged attacks.
Resurrect: Occasionally revive from KO automatically.

Raven:

Resurrect: Occasionally revive from KO automatically.
Rebirth: Gradually recover HP equal to half the amount of the last damage received.

Judith:

Aerial Jump 2: Able to add 2 more jumps in mid-air.
Magic 3: Increases spell attack by 15%. Increase due to equipment not affected.

Judith also gets the Moonlight Talon arte if you haven't gotten it already from a sidequest.

Repede:

The individual character 200 Man Melee wins are, in comparison, kinda boring. Just some costume-less titles.

There's also a couple skits, one for beating the 100 Man Melee as Yuri and one for each character's 200 Man Melee win:

Skit: Congratulations / Baldurdash
Yuri, you did it!
Hmph, it's not such a big deal.
Come on, kid, ya won! The least ya could do is cheer up a little!
Yeah, I won...but that's not really what I was going for...
Now, don't get greedy. What more could ya want than ta enter a tournament and come out on top?
Maybe what you wanted more than winning was the feeling that you'd really fought hard?
Yeah... Something like that.
Sounds like ya understand Yuri pretty well.
After having known Yuri for as long as I have, at least that much is obvious.
Really? I guess you two know each other...REALLY well...
N-no, that's not what I meant at all...!

Skit: A Youth's Victory

You did it!
Hey, you actually look a little happy, for once.
Of course he's happy! Yuri defeated a lot of very fierce opponents!
Yeah, for the first time, winning actually feels like something...
That's the feeling that you really fought hard. You gave it your all, Yuri!
Right. It feels like this means a lot more than the last time I won a tournament.
Hmmm, sounds like ya two are really gettin' close.
How interestin'...
R-Raven, what are you talking about...!
If you're happy for me, old man then you and me are getting kind of close, too, you know.
Oh. Uh. Heh heh...

Skit: A Princess' Crucible
Good job! I knew you could do it, Estelle.
Thank you!
You twerp, you're only saying that now so you can look good.
N-no, I mean it!
Oh really...?
Anyway, congratulations, Estelle.
Thank you! I'm glad I could spread a little joy.
That's good. You looked pretty serious out there. I was worried.
Well... I just felt like I was on display for everyone to see...
It's not a very good feeling to have people betting on whether you'll win or lose.
Yes...but then I realized I should focus on my opponent, not the people watching me.
The more you want to beat your opponent, the happier you are when you finally win!
Yeah, I guess so. I'm glad it was a good experience for you, Estelle.
Yes! And all of your encouragement makes me want to work even harder!

Skit: A Boy's Befuddlement
Hey, nice work, Karol! You won! You sure have grown strong.
*WOOF!*
Y-yeah, thanks!
I hear it's a great thing fer a guild's reputation if someone who won the tournament joins 'em.
Yes, Brave Vesperia could become famous, thanks to you, Karol!
Heh, heh heh... M-m-m-maybe...
You don't seem very happy, Karol.
N-n-no, I mean, y-y-yeah... What I did... I didn't know I... I was, like... Whoa...
I...
don't understand what you're saying...
You're just flustered 'cause you're not used it. Come on, Karol, that's not like you.
Heh heh. I dunno, that ramblin' at the end there sounds just like him ta me!
*Woof!*

Skit: A Genius Mage's Change of Heart
Well, that's done.
You're so nonchalant... Shouldn't you be a little happier?
Nah, that was too easy.
Act tough all ya want, but it looked like ya were havin' a pretty rough time out there.
Maybe you're starting to get cataracts, old man. Perhaps I can help you blast them out!
Agh! No no no no!
But you won! That's great!
You could at least be a little bit happier...
So what, I won. It doesn't change anything, really.
But they give out a prize specially tailored ta the winner.
That's right.
Oh...
Maybe if I'd won more battles, they would've given me something useful for my research...
Guess I should've beaten more opponents...
Ya already won the whole tournament... I don't think ya could've beaten it any more than ya did...

Skit: An Old Man's Dream
...What's the matter, old man? You won.
Th-this is a dream. I mean, conquering the coliseum after all these years...
It was your dream to win this tournament?
Guild members across the world all hope ta achieve this once in their lives.
Then your dream's come true! That's great!
No, this can't be real. This is a dream, I know it.
If it's a dream, then you shouldn't be able to feel pain, right?
Let's test it out!

Judith punches Raven off the top of the screen.

Gaaah...!
Whoa...
If the old man wasn't dreaming before, he certainly is now.

Skit: A Maiden's Concern
That's all there is?
Not enough violence for you, huh?
Oh? Do you really think I'm that violent?
That hurts, Yuri.
If you're trying to make us think you're an innocent young maiden, you're not fooling anyone.
...Innocent young maidens keep their pretty little selves out of coliseum tournaments.
Innocent young maidens also don't win tournaments full of powerful opponents.
Hah hah hah, that's right...
*Sigh*
Don't tell me you just got yourself down.
Ah, the melancholic sigh of an innocent young maiden... How picturesque!
Oh?
What, not violent enough for ya?
*Sigh*

Skit: A Dog's Thoughts on Battle
*AROOOOOOO!*
What was that? A victory howl?
Yeah, something like that, I think.
He's just a dumb beast, after all. He probably just thinks he had a successful hunt, or something.
*Woof!*
He can hear you, you know. Repede thinks about all sorts of things.
You've offended him.
What do you mean, all sorts of things?
*Woof! Woof woof!*
The significance of him winning a tournament that's held by the world of humans, for example.
*WOOF! WOOF!*
He's thinking about what a good chance it is to show humans how strong and proud the noble dog is.
What, your pooch is a philosopher? Don't make me laugh.
*WOOF! WOOF WOOF!*
So maybe you'd like to have a fight with Repede, with your honor on the line?
Hey, I don't wanna fight you!
Hey! Stop biting me, let go...!
...I've been wondering for a while, but... You understand what Repede's saying, don't you, Yuri?

In addition to the entire Team Melee section of the Coliseum, which we'll check out another time, the PS3 version hands you some costume titles for beating the 200 Man Melee with everyone. Guess the developers felt guilty for not really giving you anything substantial in the 360 version. All of them are references to characters from other Tales games.

Judas, from Tales of Destiny 2.

Chloe, from Tales of Legendia.

Lloyd, from Tales of Symphonia.

Mao, from Tales of Rebirth.

Ricardo, from Tales of Innocence.

Rutee, from Tales of Destiny.

Caius, from Tales of the Tempest.

Cress, from Tales of Phantasia.

Anise, from Tales of the Abyss.

They're pretty cool, and come with a special Altered Arte from the referenced character, which you can use while having that costume on or learn after using them a bunch, just like normal Altered Artes.

There's also a neat skit you get from having everyone equip their costume, but I don't have a good recording of it around, so we'll get to that during the inevitable "missed skits" update(s).

Apart from that, there isn't much change from the 360 version of the Hundred Man Melee and its variations. If you play as Flynn you get to fight against Yuri as the 100th opponent, and everyone gets to fight Clint shortly after the other two Hunting Blades members. Otherwise it's exactly the same, I believe.

Except for one thing, thanks wdarkk for reminding me. If you fight against Dhaos as Rita, get him to below half health...

Enter Over Limit 4 and cast Thunder Blade, and you get: (Baldurdash)

It's Indignation! Somehow this spell was absent from the 360 version of the game, but in the PS3 version, you can get it as a Mystic Arte for Rita by doing these steps. After doing this, you can activate it during normal battles by doing the typical "2nd Mystic Arte" combination of OVL 4 -> Arcane Arte -> Hold Attack+Arte. As appropriate, Dhaos gets instakilled and even does his "What?! It can't be!!" "what the HECK is THAT?!" thing when you use it against him.

Interestingly enough, they actually recorded English voices for Indignation.

Before we end this, I just wanted to point out that I'm pretty impressed at the pretty big body of text they wrote for the Coliseum registration counter. Some of it is kinda funny, too. I mean look at this:

See the show! ♪ Have a go! ♪ Beat your foes! ♪ A fierce battle of many against one! A burly brawl of epic proportions! The Hundred Man Melee! We're currently accepting applications! ♪ You wanna give it a go?
Choose a level to challenge! Choose one challenger! Then all that's left is to pay the entry fee and you're in! It's as easy as pumpkin pie! ♪ Challengers must cut down all their fierce opponents! Slice, dice, clang, kerpow! Fierce opponents will pop up like popcorn! The number and type of opponents you'll face will vary depending on the level you choose! And since it's boring for the audience if you just mosey along lazily, we've put in a fun little time limit to prod you on a bit! If you manage to beat all of your opponents in the time limit without getting beaten yourself, you'll be a wiiiinner! We have some fabulous prizes for winners! But if you get defeated before you beat all of the opponents, you get nooothing! And of course, we get to keep the entry fee! But we'll be glad to heal you, so no worries! Ferocious opponents will keep coming at you, and you can change your equipment during the battle. But, you need to hand over the items you have and we'll hang on to them. Please use the items we provide when you're inside the arena. Oh, you can steal items from your opponents and use those too, but we will exchange all items left at the end of the battle with the items we hang on to.

Oh, you'll participate? The Thirty Man Melee, right? That level should be a walk in the park! All of the opponents are small fries! ♥ Who will be participating?
All right! Good luck out theeeere! ☆
Umm, beginners...should start at the beginning. You need to try the Thirty Man Melee first. Otherwise, you could get in over your head! And we wouldn't want that, would we?

Oh, you'll participate? The Fifty Man Melee, right? That level can be a little tough! I don't think you'll die, though. ♥ Who will be participating?
You haven't beaten the Fifty Man Melee and you'd already like to try for eighty? Getting a little ahead of ourselves, aren't weee? You think the Eighty Man Melee will have a better prize, don't you? I can see right through your clever little scheme! Let's take our challenges one at a time, shall we? That way we make more money! ♪

Oh, you'll participate? The Eighty Man Melee, right? So you're going to go for it... No, I won't stop you... The coliseum's profit is more important... Who will be participating?
Oh, I'm sorry! We're still making preparations for that one. You can't have a Hundred Man Melee without a hundred men, and we're still short! Arranging all of these events isn't easy, you know! We should be opening it up soon, though, so come back and challenge it later!

Oh, you'll participate? The Hundred Man Melee, right? Might as well, right? It's the biggest, the best! We finally managed to gather a hundred people to fight in the battle, but we haven't had any challengers at all... ...Even though it's the fight that makes the most money for the coliseum... Who will be participating?
Oh, I see... I didn't know you were such a sissy...Oh well, come back and see us again once you're brave enough! ♪

Oh... Th-the Two Hundred Man Melee... ...You're really going to do it?
I see... The mysterious Two Hundred Man Melee...I'd like to see that, myself. Who will be participating?
Yes, I think that's for the best. Every life is precious!

What? I can't believe you don't have enough Gald! We don't have business with someone like that...

Participate in the Thirty Man Melee and have your name in the world rankings. Your name will appear in the rankings just by signing up! ♪ Using a special data recording technique, your results will automatically be calculated and added towards the ranking. Just what is this special technique? That's a secret! ♪

And with that, I'll end today's update. Next time: The Cooking Coliseum!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 1, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Isn't there a special thing for beating Dhaos with Rita in the PS3 version?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Oh, you're right, there is! Forgot about that.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
The Vesperia Colosseum is pretty much my favorite version out of all Tales games I've played - the Team Battle is also really fun (and NORIO WAKAMOTOOOOOOOO).

I did notice something, though:

On top of giving Karol the Goldion Hammer, they're now giving him a G-Stone equipped hat?

The kid really is the King of Braves!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Here you go! (Baldurdash)

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Judith is the calmest, most even-tempered berserker ever. I love how Yuri and Raven needle her about her bloodlust.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Oh, and I was just reminded of this: They actually recorded English voices for Indignation, interestingly enough. (individual clips)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Can't you use Indignation as a regular mystic arte from then on?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I did a bunch of that in the 360 version, myself. I beat the 100-man melee with everyone, and 200 with a few. Some were definitely harder than others... probably because I simply suck with them.

Yuri is easy because I knew his combat style inside and out by then.
Estelle was easy but SUPER BORING because I abused That Glitch.

Karol was initially rough until I got pissed, said "gently caress this", and equipped the 1-TP Artes ring and sat there Reaper Knocking for the fences on anything that wasn't worth getting close to. It was still a decent challenge, because that just doesn't work on some things but it got me past the couple roadblocks that were really messing with me.

Judith and Raven were actually pretty difficult just because I really can't get a handle on their gameplay. I'm terrible with Judith's juggling and Raven's weapon-form switching still throws me off. At least Raven has a self-heal...

Repede was actually BY FAR the most fun, though. He's hilariously fast. The one thing that got me with Repede was loving Barbatos. Repede's main form of healing is items, and I haven't finished Barbatos' game so I had no drat idea what he was about. He popped up and I went "whoops that guy has a voice, I better heal." This is a mistake! I healed, he immediately popped his MA after the healing numbers popped up, and I was right back into "need healing" range, so I popped another Apple Gel, which wasn't enough healing to keep his second No Items EVARRRRRRRR from pasting me. :downs: I didn't quite get that using two MAs back-to-back means there is something wrong here.

On the second try, I figured out that using any loving item whatsoever immediately trips that MA as a counter, regardless of whether he's in OL or if he's anywhere near within range of you. Doesn't matter what state he's in or where he's standing, if you use an item, you get BLASTED. It's an unpleasant surprise when you don't know about it. Getting hit for it the second time, even though I figured it out, was enough to make me run outta gas during the fight.

I did beat him that third time, though! :cry:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Repede was actually BY FAR the most fun, though. He's hilariously fast. The one thing that got me with Repede was loving Barbatos. Repede's main form of healing is items, and I haven't finished Barbatos' game so I had no drat idea what he was about. He popped up and I went "whoops that guy has a voice, I better heal." This is a mistake! I healed, he immediately popped his MA after the healing numbers popped up, and I was right back into "need healing" range, so I popped another Apple Gel, which wasn't enough healing to keep his second No Items EVARRRRRRRR from pasting me. :downs: I didn't quite get that using two MAs back-to-back means there is something wrong here.

On the second try, I figured out that using any loving item whatsoever immediately trips that MA as a counter, regardless of whether he's in OL or if he's anywhere near within range of you. Doesn't matter what state he's in or where he's standing, if you use an item, you get BLASTED. It's an unpleasant surprise when you don't know about it. Getting hit for it the second time, even though I figured it out, was enough to make me run outta gas during the fight.

I did beat him that third time, though! :cry:

Gale dog makes you invincible for a moment. So you could've used that and an item and totally avoid all the damage!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I really wish the 200 man melee concept was in more games, because a slugfest of battles where you can use everything is way better than the usual "one at a time, no items". ToS2 might have actually been a little fun since for once the battle wouldn't end in 3 seconds. :v:

I'm pretty sure Barbatos wasn't a final boss. IIRC, Tales of Destiny 2 ended with a final battle against Elraine and then Fortuna, with Barbatos dying earlier on when the cast time traveled back to Destiny 1. He's by far the most popular character from that game though, so no wonder he got in.

Also do the lines change in the PS3 version if you fight Yuri as Flynn?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Can't you use Indignation as a regular mystic arte from then on?
Yep!

BlitzBlast posted:

I really wish the 200 man melee concept was in more games, because a slugfest of battles where you can use everything is way better than the usual "one at a time, no items". ToS2 might have actually been a little fun since for once the battle wouldn't end in 3 seconds. :v:
Yeah, this is definitely pretty good all things considered, but I think I preferred how the Tales of Destiny remake did it by having shorter but unique enemy sets for each class, instead of extending the one and only.

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure Barbatos wasn't a final boss. IIRC, Tales of Destiny 2 ended with a final battle against Elraine and then Fortuna, with Barbatos dying earlier on when the cast time traveled back to Destiny 1. He's by far the most popular character from that game though, so no wonder he got in.
Fair enough! I haven't actually played ToD2.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also do the lines change in the PS3 version if you fight Yuri as Flynn?
I just checked and yes, it's a different conversation. Shorter though, goes something along the lines of Yuri challenging Flynn about settling who of the two are stronger, Flynn making a cocky reply like "And the victor shall be me!" and Yuri shouting "Me!" at the appropriate time as well.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 4, 2014

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Me and my buddy are playing through this on 360 after I told him about how I've always wanted to co-op a Tales game.Its his first Tales too. Having beaten the game 1 or 2 or 4 times, I'm using this play through to learn Judith finally, so tips on that would be nice.

What I really wanted to say though was this, your LP is fantastic Admiral. Its useful to check on for side quests because there are so drat many and its easy to miss a bunch (I've already missed Broniac in our co-op) and its fun to tell him about some of the stuff that the PS3 version added. So thanks for an LP that this game deserves and good luck on the PS3 stuff! *shudder*

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

Judith and Raven were actually pretty difficult just because I really can't get a handle on their gameplay. I'm terrible with Judith's juggling and Raven's weapon-form switching still throws me off. At least Raven has a self-heal...

Enable Quick Arrow and disable Change Style 1. Close-range bow normals are much less finicky to work with than Raven's awful dagger normals, and with Quick Arrow aren't any slower. Well, you should have Quick Arrow equipped anyway, so this just makes things easier AND frees up a lot of skill points for other stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I find it really interesting that the game's damage cap is just short of 10,000,000. Is there anything in the game that has more than 10,000,000 HP?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I don't think so. The highest enemy HP I can quickly find is 2.641.000 HP on Unknown diffculty.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So aside from Estelle's BC Rod, any more Druaga references?

Also I like the idea of Dhaos drifting through time but somehow the knowledge of Indignation always follows him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rehhyou
Feb 10, 2014
First of all, thank you Admiral for the LP. I imported this for PS3 since I don't have a 360 and I've been using your guide for this. Finally caught up to your last update and I was wondering when the next update would be. I'm not completely fluent in Japanese so the PS3 exclusive stuff has got me stumped. Thank you again.

• Locked thread