Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
More PS3 sidequesting! First off, some stuff in Aurnion.

Technically, this scene already existed in the 360 version, but they decided to expand it noticeably to account for Flynn in the party. You can see the 360 version in the middle of Update 114.

Have a safe trip!
You want to come with me, Repede?
Woof!

Well, Repede also thinks of Flynn as his owner. A long time ago, Flynn and I used to look after Repede together.
So how did you and Flynn get to be such good friends with him?
We just took care of him. One time, Repede got hurt really badly. Flynn and I stayed up all night tending his wounds and making sure he was okay.
Is that how Repede got his scar?
Yeah.
Come to think of it, didn't you say that Repede got his blastia as a keepsake of his old owner? I wonder if his bodhi blastia has anything to do with the time that he got hurt...
Hmmm, good question.
Maybe Repede took an oath of loyalty to his previous master, and that's why he's so cold to everyone else.
Hmm... Well, that's way better than wagging his tail for just anyone.

All set?

Repede looks so calm and composed. He always looks like he's got a firm hold on the situation. He's so dignified.
He's about the same age as the old man, after all.
Well, at least the dog has it together.
It's like he doesn't care what anybody thinks. That's what I call mature allure.
Yes, he's very hard-boiled.
*Sigh*
Hey, what's with that sigh?!
You don't look like you're the same age at all.
I think he's only the same age in dog years. He's actually about 4 years old.

Huh? N-no, I didn't mean to imply that...
Woof!
Did he just laugh?! What are ya gettin' at?! What's that laugh supposed ta mean?!
I'm guessing the more you talk the less he thinks of you...
Ugh...
You really like everyone here, don't you, Repede?
Not that he lets it show much.
Ruff?

Repede is great.

We can also trigger a scene involving Drake while we're here.

Yes, Sir Drake.
Have you heard? A few days ago, Prince Ioder suggested that you be officially promoted to the rank of commandant.
R-really...?
I'm sure it won't be long until you are promoted to commandant, instead of just acting commandant.
...!
Sounds like good news.
Wooo!
Congratulations!
It's still too early for congratulations. During the meeting, I proposed an idea of my own to the prince.

What do you mean?
The position bears too much responsibility, and with that responsibility comes great power. It is far easy to abuse that amount of authority. Alexei is a prime example. Also, Flynn, you're still young. I feel the rank would be difficult for you to manage alone.
So you're suggesting the commandant's authority needs to be reduced.
That's one way of putting it.
Even if that is the case, I'll be satisfied. What I need to achieve my goals isn't power, but people who feel the same way I do. The world will change if there are people who feel the same way I do, even if they express themselves differently.
As I thought, you're just like Prince Ioder. Wet behind the ears. The prince rejected my proposal right away. He said he trusted you with the authority the role brought.
He did?
It would seem he understands your feelings on the matter. I suppose that means the empire and the knights will both still need me here to give advice.
Yeah, just sit back drinking your tea and keep an eye on the kiddies.
Yuri...!
Sir Drake, I look forward to hearing your advice concerning both the empire and the knights.
...Right. This is from me.
From you, Sir? Are you certain?
Yes. You'll be officially promoted to the rank of commandant soon. Wear it to your ordination ceremony.
Thank you very much, Sir Drake.
Why don't you try it on, Flynn?
Right here?
Yes!

Hmph...
Isn't it great, Yuri?
Yeah, I guess so.
You may be soon to be commandant, but that doesn't mean you can relax. You're still inexperienced. You'll need to focus now more than ever.
Yes, Sir!
I'll be off.

He really thinks he's a big shot. I can't believe he'd preach to a candidate for the imperial throne.
He is a very important person who devoted his entire life to the empire. A truly devoted and loyal patriotic knight.
He isn't officially a knight any longer, but he still carries a lot of weight. Everyone listens to what he has to say.
Man, I can't stand these old guys that don't know how to give up. Reminds me of a certain someone in the Lower Quarter.
I think he understands us, though. He respects our wishes, and continues to guide us.
He's not the type of person that simply wants to hear the sound of his own voice.
So what you're saying is that he's actually soft on all of you?
I think so.
Woof!
One day, I hope I can be a knight just like him, fully devoted to the Empire and its people.

Meh. I'll stick with his casual stuff.

Speaking of which, hot springs! There has to be some kinda law in Japan that every new JRPG release has to include new hot spring related content, I'm telling you... Anyway, they added a bit of stuff over there, so let's check it out.

After seeing all the stuff that already existed in the 360 version, you can visit again with everyone in their hot spring costume to trigger this set of scenes:

Hot spring, hot spring. ♪
Flynn, is something wrong?
Do you mind going on ahead? I just remembered I have something I need to take care of.

I'm sure he'll be right back. Let's wait for him inside.

Would you like to make a reservation?
Yes, please.
Please take your time.

You finished out there, Flynn?
Yeah. I just had to send a message out.
You feel like a completely different person without your armor.
Never thought I'd see you sporting easygoing clothes like that.
It would ruin the mood for the other customers if I wore my armor here.
Anyway, are the men and women taking turns going in again?
Aww, what?
Shut it!

Captain! Sorry we took so long!
What happened?! We were surprised to receive an urgent summo- huh?
You called them?

Captain, I'm not sure I fully comprehend your orders.
He said you're relieved of your knightly duties. Ya know, like time off.
Right.
So that's why you're not in uniform...
Aye, it's a good idea. Nothing does the body better than a nice long soak in a hot spring!

Lady Estellise?
Ladies first! Let's take a dip together!
No, I...
Oh? You're going to walk all over your dear captain's kind gesture?
Uh...
It's time we ladies lay ourselves bare!

I can't believe they dragged her off.
Looks like they're having fun.
How about we relax until the ladies are finished?

We have to talk to Flynn in the corner there to proceed.

Huh? Oh, yes. I'm interested in the rudimentary nature of the mechanism.
Why don't you give it a shot instead of just watching?
It's a tent. How did it fit inside such a small container?
A lottery gel, huh? This is pretty fun. You never know what you're going to get.
I'm only interested in how the blastia body functions.

Don't you think brothers would be more appropriate?

Next, we have to walk outside.

This scene is kinda confusing with just screenshots, imagine Raven trying to sneak off behind the building to spy on the girls.

Whooooaaahhh!

Captain Schwann.
Who's this Schwann? I'm Rav-

That's illegal.

It was my intuition as a knight.

...Geez, that old man...

...It's still kinda odd.

Anyway, back inside, the girls are done so we can go into the bath.

Hey, where were you guys? It's our turn! Come on, hurry!
All right.

So you know how kind-hearted Flynn really is.
Of course. It's one of the many reasons he's held in such high regard by his subordinates. He's not just a good knight, he's a good person.
Aye. That's what makes him a good boss. He's got a firm hand and a good heart!
Yes.
You think? He just looks soft to me. I'm not sure what to think of the Empire promoting someone so green to commandant.
That's pretty harsh, Rita.
You know nothing. If he wasn't the kind of person he is, you yourself would have suffered for it.
Huh? What do you mean?
It was Captain Flynn who respected your wish not to go to the Shaikos Ruins. Personally, I was of the opinion he should have ordered you to fulfil your duty as an Aspio researcher.
...Like I said, doesn't that make him soft?

The Flynn Brigade with Rita included... I'm interested!
It would have been so stifling, I would have just died!
Rita, I don't think those words are appropriate, regardless of how you feel.
It's all right. Rita trusts Flynn in her own way.
S-she better. Otherwise, uh, we'd have a problem...
Oh? Why's that?
...As I was saying! The Captain has acknowledged all of you as his companions, so don't you forget it!
Oh my...

Huh? Where is everyone? It's so white that I can't see.
Witcher, your glasses are fogged up.
Oh. Yeah. I'll go take them off.
Go straight, straight! You're going to hit the door!
Man, you're hopeless. Wait right there, we'll lead you in.

We already reserved the whole place. No one's there, so it doesn't really matter.
But...

What... What's wrong?
No one would be able to catch sight of someone spying over there.
What?! Flynn, you're into peeking too?!
We'll need to put up a warning outside of the women's bath. Otherwise--
Wait, did you just say "too"?
Y-yeah, I guess you'd be the last person to peep.
And who would be the first person?

Huh?
Be that as it may, Karol, you have to do the right thing.
You're just going to believe him?! But I didn't do anything!

Oh, Repede. Sorry, we're holding you up, aren't we? How about we get out now?

Right. Send my regards to the knights and Prince Ioder.
Yes.
Yes.
Oh, Captain Flynn. I managed to get some rare materials from that blastia body. You should be able to use this to fortify your armor. Please use them as you see fit.

Uh... Um...
What is it?
I appreciate what you did for us today... Thank you very much.
You two are always there to support the knights, come rain or shine. Consider this a recognition of service.
Nevertheless... Thank you very much.

Of course.
If he didn't, he couldn't rely on them to hold down the fort.
Sodia and Witcher always go above and beyond what's expected of them. That's why I want to work hard as well. To meet their expectations.
I agree with the catty lady. Flynn sounds like a great boss.
Yes.
I-I might agree with you, but just a little bit!
Uh, what are you ladies talking about?
Rita just said she'd be more than happy to accompany you the next time you'd ask.
Hey! I said no such thing!
...Right, thanks. I'm looking forward to it.
Well, if I have the time.
Huh? What are they talking about?
Don't be so tasteless, Captain Karol! Obviously, they were talking about a date.
What?!
No we weren't!

Yeah, yeah.
Why me...

Poor Karol, always the butt of the jokes...

The thing we got from Witcher is an attachment to add some spikes to the costumes. Would be nice if we didn't already have the perfect attachment in form of the Party Hat!

Leaving and returning a day later, we can get more scenes.

Why thank you.
I'm happy to hear our hard work paid off.
So anyway, I was wondering if you'd do just one more favor for us.
You want us to work for you again?

Me?
Yes. You were quite popular with the customers. After you left, we got a flood of questions asking where you had gone.
Wow! Nothing less from Judith!
I know I'd buy anythin' if it was sold by a sexy salesgirl like her!
Hey, don't waste our money like that!
So, you'd like Judith to be your salesgirl again?
Of course, in return, you're all free to use the hot springs as you please. Will you do us this one favor?
I don't mind. I had fun doing it the last time.
Thank you very much! Well then, come this way. We just got a new salesgirl yukata for you to try on!
I'll hop into the hot springs myself when I'm done, so go on in without me.
I think I'll wait for Judith to finish as well. Don't mind me. Go and enjoy yourselves.
You're so sweet.

Oh, Yuri! You're done?
Yeah. Is Judy still working?
Yes. The customers just keep streaming in.

How about these steamed buns? It's a 24 pack, so it's just right if you've got lots of people to give gifts to. Your change is 150 Gald. Thank you.
Ohh! That's one helluva mini-yukata she's got going on! Beautiful! It's just the right length to make ya think ya might catch a glimpse of somethin'! Really sparks the imagination!
Aye, even the waters of the hot springs here can't purify the old man's lecherous heart.
She looks pretty busy.
But it looks like she's still going out of her way to talk to every customer, and help them pick the perfect gift.
Judith's ability to pay attention to all the details is part of what makes her a wonderful person.
I can't figure it out. Who'd want to deal with all those people?

I'm all done.
Good work.
Wow, you're truly amazing. You sold more than what we sold yesterday in the blink of an eye! We're really no match for a poster girl like you!
Judy's popularity is through the roof!
Yes! You're our number one salesgirl in both sales and popularity!
Think I should aim to be number one next month, too?
You actually want to work here again?

Cute costume!

And a final one...

Oh, it's you guys...
What kind of greeting is that? Don't you know how to treat your customers?
I'm terribly sorry. It wasn't on purpose.
Is there some reason we shouldn't have come?
Well, you see, we're still cleaning the open-air baths, so you can't go in right now.
How long do you think it'll take?
Rest assured, we're cleaning with all our might! But as to how long it'll take...
Come to think of it, wasn't this the reason we couldn't go in the first time we came here?
That's too bad. I was looking forward to relaxing in the hot spring.
Yeah. The water here makes your skin so smooth. I was really looking forward to it.
Aye, our free pass is going to waste.
I'm sorry! But we really don't have enough hands right now.
Don't you worry about a thing! We'll wipe away all your problems!

What, you mean me?!
Who's on the side of justice, right there to smite evildoers? That's right, the boss of Brave Vesperia! Ya can't resist helpin' someone in need!
Don't drag me into this!
Last time we helped out, all you did was sit around in the bath. Go lend them a hand.
Really?! I didn't think I could ask you for help again so soon after last time. But, if you insist, we're happy to accept.
Huh? Wait!
I'll prepare a change of clothes for you in the dressing room. We're counting on you!
I never even said I'd do it!
That clerk acts pretty innocent for someone so harsh.
There's an old man in our midst who's no better. He was pretty happy pushing all that work on a child.

...Ouch.

Do your best!
I'm looking forward to it.
Hurry up already!
drat, why is it always me?!

Finished, Karol? Wow, that's quite the look.
Well, what did you expect?! This is the only thing they had that wouldn't soak up the water!
I can see where they're comin' from, but I don't think that makes half naked with black tights okay...
The clerk must hate me. Last time, he gave me nothing but a towel, and now THIS.

You didn't notice?
Huh?
Oh, I see. You were just too short ta see it up there!
Then, these tights...
Perhaps it was something a guest accidentally left behind?
Don't worry about a thing, my boy. We'll keep this little event tucked away in our hearts.
Says the guy who's most likely to talk about it.
I would never! It's a promise between men!
*Sigh* I'm kinda worn out...
Then why not get in the bath and wash away your fatigue?
Yeah... You're right, that'll work!

All right!
Karol, wait...!

Aaaaaahh!
You pervert! Fire Ball!!
That outfit sure didn't do him any favors...

What would I even say to that?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
:stare:

I wonder what were the devs were thinking when they thought up that costume for Karol...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ahahahahahaha, poor Karol gets no respect despite being the leader of the guild.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is that like a dozen scenes in the hot spring so far?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's not *that* many, but yeah, quite a few. I think it's a total of seven or eight?

We're through all of them now though if I didn't miss any. I have the rest of the LP planned out at this point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So you can just dress up Flynn as a full on NES jRPG hero, huh?

bbqsb
Jul 29, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's not *that* many, but yeah, quite a few. I think it's a total of seven or eight?

We're through all of them now though if I didn't miss any. I have the rest of the LP planned out at this point.

If you have the rest of it planned out, do you know how many updates are left? I'm using this as a translation of the PS3 version while I play it. Also, great LP for a great game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

139 total updates, so 7 more, plus an appendix for Skits I missed. I've got most of the updates written up but my translation editor has mysteriously disappeared, so I'm hesitant to post the updates in their current state.

bbqsb
Jul 29, 2014
Well, here's to hoping he mysteriously reappears. I'm on update 105 right now, so I've still got some time before I'm caught up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Today, we're doing a bunch of Patty related sidequests.

First, we're finishing off the odd set of mostly unconnected scenes about finding love charms in the sea by checking this search point.

Brainiac Grace: Avoid staggering while casting in Brainiac and Critical Forms.
OVL Concentrate: Become immune to fainting when in Over Limit.
Recovering Guard: Chance of stagger is reduced while using Recover.

This is... The great pirate Gran Carei's...
What is it?
This belonged to the leader of the great pirate guild, Serpent's Dream. He held the world in the palm of his hand. I can think of no greater man than him. He's my hero.
Serpent's Dream? As in, a sea serpent? I can see how Siren's Fang and Leviathan's Claw got their names...
Aye, that's right.

Huh. Interesting...
When Serpent's Dream's leader Gran Carai died, the guild split. Half stayed at sea and went on to become Siren's Fang. The other half came ashore and became Leviathan's Claw.
Wow... Oh! Is that why Yeager and you both use guns?

They never really got popular outside of our group.
True, you don't see guns very often.
So, is that Gran Carei's weapon?
Aye. But it's not a gun. Too bad.
Oh! Here's an idea, Patty. You can use that new weapon to show Yuri how tough you are.
Do you think that would work on him?
Yeah, no man can resist a strong woman.
No, I think that's just you.
Hm... Now that you mention it, Sea Doctrine No. 7 agrees with you. "The strength of a man of the sea is his splendor." I'm going to go challenge Yuri to a fight!

Patty/Yuri conversation is offscreen, obscured by the boat.

Yuri! I challenge you!
Huh? What th-- Wah...! Hey! OW! Stop tha-- What're you doing?!
Prepare yourself for my charm!
You're not making any sense! Hey, hold up!

Yuri's out like a light. I suppose I was simply too charming for him.
That's not what I meant when I said you should show him how tough you are.
This is beyond stupid.

Say something! Did a monster attack you?! Why didn't you call for help?
Estelle's a force to be reckoned with.
You reap what you sow.
...Sea Doctrine No. 118, "A pirate is not made in a day. One may work for a decade and still be but an amateur." I'll make myself into a fine woman. So fine that I'll never lose to the likes of Estelle or Judy!
...I don't even get a mention?

Apart from some backstory, this only gives us that knife weapon for Patty.

In Capua Torim, there's a man standing around that Patty recognizes if we talk to him.

Hey, is that you?
Huh?
Jim?
How do you know my name? Wait...it can't be! Boss?!
Boss?
Well, ah, how do I put it...? I used to be a pirate. You just look so much like my boss back then, it took me by surprise. But of course, the boss wasn't a child. So, are you a relative or something...?

I've heard plenty about you, Jim!
What?! That's amazing! I didn't know the boss had grandchildren. But, I suppose you do look pretty similar, so I can't really deny it. A granddaughter. Huh. Geez! Unbelievable.
What's wrong with him?
Wow... this is uncanny. You have the EXACT same face as the boss... I can't believe it. A granddaughter? This really takes me back. Those were the days!

Now, now. Don't cry! You're a man, aren't you?
S-sorry. I just can't help remembering how things used to be. I was just a budding pirate back then! The boss always had to help me out.
Wow. Patty, y-- I mean, your boss sure was something.
Yeah, the boss was really cool. *Sniffle* Boss!
How long are you going to keep crying? You'll tarnish the name of Siren's Fang!

Huh? I feel like I just got scolded by the boss again.
No more tears, now.
Y-yeah, you're right. But just thinking about it, there's something else I should tell you. I wanted to be just like the boss. So much so that I tried to copy her artes.
Then, you must have been pretty strong, even back then.
Naw, I couldn't get anything right. There was only one arte I could master. This arte is special. You never know what's going to happen.
Is that a good thing?
When the boss used it, sometimes it would just completely wipe all the enemies out! But when I use it, nothing good ever happens.
Then why do you use it? It sounds kinda dangerous.
This arte is all I have left off the boss! *Sniffle* Boss!

You're her granddaughter, so you deserve to know it.
Aye. That'd be a big help.
Uh, I kind of think it would be better not to know it...
Don't worry. Let's see if I can make it work.
I've written the details on how to use the arte here. It took me ten years to learn it!
T-ten years?!
Patty... That's a long time...
Oh, this arte.
You know it?
Huh? Oh... No. But, I can learn it right away. Behold! This is the potential of the granddaughter of Aifread!

Amazing! I'd expect nothing less of the grandchild of the boss!
...I bet you knew it the whole time.
I completely forgot about it.
*Sniffle* Boss!

As you might expect, this gives us access to the mentioned arte, Critical Moment.

Despite its appearance, it doesn't actually cause damage, but instead triggers a random effect, such as:

...and a bunch of other stuff, including Pow Hammers raining from the sky, all allies or enemies entering Over Limit, increasing or decreasing your EXP or Gald, healing HP/TP, or instantly winning the (non-boss) battle. Not something you should rely on by any means, but I guess it might be worth trying in a pinch? I dunno, I haven't really found a good use for it.

Now, let's talk about Patty's Mystic Arte. Like most of her Artes, it has a random element to it: Twelve mostly different variations, selected at random from a subset based on what form you're in.

Watch the Mystic Arte! / Baldurdash

It always starts the same:

Patty summons a giant roulette wheel, and jumps onto it.

After running around on it for a bit, she trips, and the icon she lands on decides the variation you get.

And here's all the possible outcomes:

Does some damage to all enemies, not very impressive.

Rarely has a different dude towing the cart, which also deals damage to allies. Note that the game counts this is a different variation for purposes of checking if you got them all or not.

A lot of these are fairly straightforward, just some damage with different cute animations.

This is Mieu from Tales of the Abyss.

This is Quickie from Tales of Eternia. He doesn't do any damage, but instead fully fills your Over Limit gauge and restores everyone's TP.

This is pretty much a regular Nurse spell, heals the party.

This deals a lot of damage and sometimes also heals your party. I'm not sure if the angel is a specific reference to anything.

Barbatos can also show up, doing damage to both enemies and allies and preventing item use for 90 seconds.

And finally, what is probably the 'ultimate' variation, Seifer can show up and deal a ton of damage to an enemy. This can only show up once Patty's story is complete.

There are also two more symbols in the game files, which don't appear to be used:

After seeing each variation at least once, we can find Jim again, this time in Nordopolica.

You surprise me every single time. You're her spitting image.
"Spitting image", huh?
Oh... Boss...
A man of the sea should never cry!
That's right! I-

H-hey, where're you going?
After I saw you last, I remembered something the boss left behind. These were the clothes our boss got from her father when she was a child, back when she was still a noble.
Your boss was a noble?
Yup, I heard it from the boss and her officers. She yearned for the sea so much, she up and left home!
Hm...
No clue.

Perfect!
Wow, that suits you so much it's scary.
It really does. It's like it was made for you.
I feel almost like the boss has come back to life! It'd make me real happy if you took those clothes with you.
Are you sure?
More than sure. I think those clothes belong with you.
In that case, I'm happy to accept! I'll treasure these clothes like your boss did.
*Sniffle* Boss! You really are her spitting image! If only you could revive Siren's Fang and lead us with clothes alone!
Yeah, that's... a bit beyond me right now.
I guess so. I can't put all that weight on a kid like you. Guess I'll see you around.

There really isn't anything we can do for him. Don't worry about it.
Yes, you're right.

This gives us a pretty neat costume.

While we're here, there's a man inside the coliseum that you can trigger a scene with once Patty has three recipes mastered. My sidequest guide also claims that she needs to have cooked 600 times for this but that seems ridiculous, dunno if that's right or not.

No, I'm just looking for someone... Excuse me, Miss. Are you, perchance, Miss Patty Fleur?
Aye, I'm Patty. Who are you?
I'm from the guild Gourmet Bouquet. I'm so glad I finally found you!
Gourmet Bouquet is a guild centered around high-class food, right?
That is quite right. I have come today to scout you for our guild, Miss Patty.
You're being scouted? That's amazing!
Your cooking DOES taste good. But that's about it.
I don't remember ever having anything to do with Gourmet Bouquet, though.
In the past, one of our guildmates collapsed from starvation. You were kind enough to treat him to oden.
Did I do that?
That guildmate said your oden was so delicious, he still cannot forget its flavor. Thus, the guild would be most pleased to have someone of your skill join us.

Who're you?
I'm making her the head chef at my restaurant, La Mer! There's no way I'm going to hand her over to some... gourmet guild!
Whoa! La Mer is a five-star restaurant on the top level of the Nordopolica arena! Amazing, Patty!

Hm? And who are you?
I'm a secretary acting on behalf of the Imperial Council.
Are you here to talk to Patty, too?
Yes. I have been instructed to recruit this young lady as a royal chef.
So it's a royal chef this time?

Is this some sort of joke? Well, I guess it isn't but--
Yeah, everyone's way too serious to be joking.
Are you just gonna leave them like that?
Now, now everyone. Just calm down. First things first...

Eat this!

This must be...!
I dare say, it sure is tasteless to fight before a delicious meal!
You honor me.
Astounding. Even better than I ever imagined!
Delicious. Such bold flavor. And yet, a subtle balance of spices... You must come to my restaurant.

I'm not joining any guilds. I have something I need to take care of. But I'm happy to treat you all to a good meal any time. All you need to do is listen for the rumors about me and find me.
So for now, you're a wandering chef?
Aye. My food cares not for where it's being eaten, or by who.
Cooking for all. I get it now. That must be your Way of the Chef.
If it strikes my fancy, I'll drop by and cook something for all of you. Can you let me off with that?
A monopoly on delicious food would definitely be a bad thing.
Understood. I shall await you at the capital.

I guess we're pretty lucky to eat your food, Patty.
I think that's what you call a fluke.
Well, we really are grateful that we get to enjoy her famous cooking any time.
I'll cook you up something any day of the week, Yuri!

There's also a cooking and Patty related scene in Zaphias' inn, I think you need to have seen the above scene to trigger it but I'm not entirely sure.

It's been a while.
Oh, Flynn too. Welcome back. With you here, I'll have to pull out all the stops and whip up something great!
You're cooking? Let me help out!
You want to help, little miss?
Don't underestimate me! I'm a well established cook. Would you mind teaching me what kind of food Yuri likes?
Hehe, I see where you're coming from. You're on!
Leave it to me!
Ya know, the other day, a self-styled world-renowned chef stayed here and left behind his chef whites. You should put them on. You don't want to make a mess of your clothes.

The design on Patty's clothes sure looks familiar.
The Wonder something-or-other. That guy's a real mystery.
You really are a good cook. A real natural.
Really?! I'm going to be Yuri's bride one day! So I've gotta work hard to make delicious food for him!
You're working this hard for Yuri? I guess I can rest easy if such a steady girl is going for him.
I'm honored you approve of me, ma'am! I'm actually a seafaring lady, so I plan to take him with me, not the other way around. Do you mind?
No need to worry. The Lower Quarter will get by whether Yuri is here or not. He's free to do whatever makes him happy.
Then he's going to search the depths of the ocean for treasure with me! Forever!
Flynn... What're you laughing at?
Sounds to me like she's got you wrapped around her little finger.
Woof!

Hey, Yuri!
Hmm, I'm going to have to do something about my popularity.

This gives us another Patty costume.

And that's it for today! Next time, we've got something much more exciting: Vesperia's interpretation of one of the series' recurring optional bosses!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 1, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

:stare: drat...I thought I had done all sidequests in the game but I had no idea of that cooking one for Patty. Goes to show how much stuff is crammed in the game.

As for Critical Moment, it's way more broken than you gave it credit for: I believe there's a skill (can't remember the name) that increases the chance of getting good results in her chance-based artes and, from my experience, it gives her a decent chance of getting free overlimits.

So, pop her into OL 1, spam Critical Moment and, hopefully, you'll at least get your OL bar back and be able to try until you get OL 3/4 for everyone.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Pretty sure the angel is supposed to be Yulia casting Judgment. Could be wrong, though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so how do you get her Mystic Arte? I must have missed it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

It's on one of her regular weapons, nothing special.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TechnoRobot posted:

Pretty sure the angel is supposed to be Yulia casting Judgment. Could be wrong, though.

I figured it was a random Cruxis angel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I didn't recognize it at first, and it's kind of fitting that so much of Patty's "can equip this" icon is her hat and coat.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hey there! Today, we'll do one of the longer sidequests added to the PS3 version.

To start this off, we need to go to Capua Nor and talk with this orange-haired knight:

Hey, aren't you...?
Huh?
Miss Hisca?!

Yuri? Flynn?

This is a character from Vesperia's prequel movie, The First Strike. It's just a cameo though, this quest doesn't actually have to do with anything in the movie.

Hey, Hisca!
Still informal as ever. You never change.
What? You know each other?
When Yuri and I first joined the knights, she was a senior member in our platoon.
Who would have thought we'd meet up again here of all places.
Haha, yeah. So, where's Chastel? You're usually inseparable.
You called?

She's also from that movie.

They look just like each other!
I guess they're twins.
I thought you two looked awfully familiar.

So, what're you doing in a place like this?
Oh, right! Hisca, I couldn't find any information at World's Cellar.
What information?
We've been looking for something...
...The Sword of Prayer.
I've never heard of it.
It's a treasure of the Knights. It was stolen some time ago, and no one's seen it since. It's kind of a strange sword. It's got a hilt in the shape of a goddess. Have you heard anything about it?
I feel like I've heard mention of it before, but I can't remember anything. My apologies.
Never heard of it. Sorry.
I see...
However, as a knight, I feel this concerns me as well. I'll be sure to let you know if I find any clues.
Thanks. We're counting on you. Let's get going, Hisca.
It was nice to see you two again. Good luck with everything.

What a surprise, running into them here.
Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about them until I saw their faces. It feels like there's more to the story than what they're telling us, though. Knights usually enforce the law... They don't hunt stolen treasure.
...Do you think the two of them are even still knights?
Why are you asking me? That's your area of expertise. They don't look any different than when they were knights.
It's been a long time since I've seen them myself. Besides, it's not like I keep a roster of every knight in service... Let's just keep that sword in mind for now.
Sure.

Now, remember the four random Aer Krenes on the world map, where we upgraded our Sorcerer's Ring? In the PS3 version, there's more stuff to do in there.

All of them now have a path leading further inside. I'm not sure if the order you go to them actually matters, but the sidequest guide I'm using instructs a specific order so I went with that.

Ugh, it's so hot!
We wouldn't stand a chance if we fell into the lava down there.
I never thought we'd find something like this down here...
It's news to me, too. It's been impossible to get reliable information about what's in here. But I always suspected there'd be something interesting, given how much aer the aer krene produces. I wonder what's further in?
Wonder all you want, but I don't think this is a great time for hands-on research.
Not even a little...?
Just...keep it short.

It's a new dungeon! Or something like that, anyway.

This is just one big, sprawling room. The gimmick is that some of the paths break away when we try to go towards them, forcing us to use a different one.

Apart from that, it's not very exciting.

I just ran around until I eventually found the center platform, where a scene triggers.

Hold on, I'll check it out.
It looks like it hasn't been used in a while, but it appears to be a variety of warp blastia.
Why is there a formula here...?
Well, we know someone had ta have made it. Formulas don't just appear on their own. They musta been tryin' to hide somethin'. Why else'd they stick one all the way down in an aer krene?
That's unusually bright, coming from you. You're right. Someone put a lock on this thing, and not one just anyone could break through.
Whaddaya mean, "unusually bright"?
Can you get through the lock?

We'll be okay, right? Nothing bad's going to come flying out, right?
Guess we'll find out.
I bet there's an amazing treasure inside!
Wouldn't that be lovely?

Come on, we're going too!

...I'm fine.
Where do you think are we?
Doesn't look all that different from the lava filled area we just came from.
This formula...
Yes, aer seems to be pouring into the center.
It's drawing in aer?
Whoa, look at that! There's something over there!
Is that... a sword?
Be careful. Who knows what's ahead.
Let's take a look!

This is a fairly small room with one big thing in the center and four warps placed around it, sort of like an X.

Once we go over to the center, we get another scene.

Look at all those swords! It reminds me of Zopheir.
I dunno...something's off about this. All these swords bunched up here...
Hey! That's...!

I see, so this was the sword...
What're you talking about?
This sword's name is Rag Querion, but it's also been called the Sword of Prayer.
The Sword of Prayer?! Isn't that...
Yeah, it's the sword Hisca and Chastel were looking for.
Oh yeah, I can see the goddess on the hilt...
I only saw the sword once, way back when I first joined the knights. I hate to admit it, but I completely forgot that I had seen the real thing.

But... what's it doing here?

Waaaaah!
Whoa!
What's going on?!
This is no time to be playing with dolls!
It's no time for jokes either!
What?! A... golem?! So that means, the formula that was drawing all the aer here... It can't be! It was all to power this blastia?
What's going on? Wasn't that sword stolen?
We'll talk later! Here it comes!

Watch the battle! / Baldurdash

So here it is, the Sword Dancer! This is a recurring boss in the series, it also shows up in Symphonia and Abyss, though it always looks different.

It's pretty fun to fight, it's got lots of fast attacks spinning and dashing all across the battlefield. Nothing particularly interesting to point out, though.

The sword is still absorbing aer. It must have some sort of self-defense system on it... That's why we can't touch it. Both the sword and that golem must be built into the system.

Rita, is there anything you can do to retrieve the sword?
Not right now. We'll have to activate the blastia before we can even begin to find a way to get it out.
And how are we gonna do that?
Why don't we try activating the other formulas? The aer flows to the blastia from the formulas. I think the blastia will activate if we divert enough aer to it through the remaining formulas.
Aye, I can see inactive formulas all over.
That sounds about right. Besides, we might find out why the formulas around this blastia are locked, too. Assuming the other formulas are the same as this one, we won't be able to unlock them from here.

Well then, I guess we'd better go find them...
Are you sure?
Don't you wanna get your precious knight sword back?
Thank you, Yuri.

Now we get to walk back out,

fly to a different Aer Krene,

go in there,

and... hold on a second. This looks just like the area we just were in.

Yup, the developers were exceptionally lazy when designing this sidequest. All four Aer Krenes contain a copy of the exact same dungeon, the only difference being which paths crumble and which stay up, and I guess the treasure chests are different too.

Anyway, this is pretty much a repeat of what we just did.

Chances are, this formula's connected to that cave with the sword.
So, there are formulas set up in similar aer krene, and they all connect back to the same place. That system must have been set up by the same person who made these formulas.
Man, that golem was such a pain, and these formulas ain't no better. Whoever did this better have a good reason!

If that golem starts moving again, are we gonna have to fight him again?
Probably.
This is the only way we can get the sword back.
Grumbling ain't gonna get us anywhere. Let's go in and take a look.

Now this actually is the same room as before, we just start on a different warp.

Look! The barrier-ish thing disappeared!

This is the same light as before!

I-it looks way different than last time!
Did it fortify itself by absorbing aer? Or maybe it has something to do with another formula being activated?
Watch out!
I cannot leave that sword in your hands. This time, I'll take it back!

This is more or less the same thing as before, it gets a few new moves and better stats.

We can't leave the sword here as a part of that blastia! We have to get it back, quickly!
Calm down. I think what we saw here just proves that there are more formulas we need to activate. Once we do, aer will pour in and the golem will fight us again. That'll be your chance.
...You're right. Sorry. Let's search for the remaining formulas.

It looks like there's something on his mind... Maybe there's more to this than just helping those knights.
Perhaps the sword holds some sort of special meaning for Flynn himself?
You know guys, the golem we just fought was kind of different from the first time. He was way stronger. If we keep activating the formulas, won't he get even stronger?
We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Come on, let's get going. If we don't catch up to Flynn, he might just go on to the next formula without us.

You get the idea.

Please do.
Now that we know where the sword is, we have to do everything in our power to get it back. We can't just leave it where it is right now.

Thanks. Let's go!

Huh...?! What's going on?
It's still absorbing aer.
Maybe we won't get anywhere until we activate the last formula?
Aren't you a greedy sword.
Then let's go activate the final formula.

The second time we fought that golem, it was way strong, right?
What of it?
If it attacks us next time, it'll have power from two formulas at once! It could be even stronger! Aren't we better off calling it quits?
You... could be right.
...Why is that sword so important to you?
...It's not just any sword.
Well, that's obvious. I mean, just look at it. That's no ordinary weapon...it's a masterwork! Everything about it just screams "legendary".
I've certainly heard that it is an amazing sword, but that's not all there is to it. That sword is a kind of a secret treasure of the knights. It's always been hidden away somewhere. The only ones worthy of wielding this sword are those who are considered to be true knights.
A true knight...
It was last used in the Great War. Since then, this sword has been without a master. It's nearly fallen into obscurity.
Even though it's such a powerful weapon? What a waste.

You don't want people joining the knights who are just out to make a name for themselves.
That's right. If that sword was public knowledge, the knights would have to deal with the droves of people after it.
The sword is granted to an honorable few. However, one who would seek honor to gain a sword does not have their priorities straight. As-is, we can't allow the world to know about this sword.
...Why don't you take it?
I told you, this sword exists for a true knight! I don't even know what it means to really be a true knight.
This is just me talkin', but I think yer plenty qualified.
Aye. You're trying to get it back, even though you've nothing to gain from it.
I'm sure we'll find someone who is worthy of this sword some day. That's why I can't just leave it where it is. So...
Yeah, yeah, I get it. Let's do this, then.
Huh?
You were gonna say it's only important to you, so you'd do it alone, right? Don't get ahead of yourself.
Yuri...
Aye. We're all friends on board of the same ship. It's only natural we'd help each other out.
Woof!
Yeah! If we work together, I'm sure we'll get it back.
You sound pretty confident. Weren't you shaking in your boots just a little while ago?

...Yeah!

And a fourth time, because three wasn't enough!

I am.

Third time's the charm, huh?
Yes. It ends here. I'll get the sword back this time for sure.

W-whoa! This is ridiculous!
Even its wings are made of swords!
This is it!

Again, more stats and moves. I feel like the three Sword Dancer variations worked better when they were spread out over the course of the plot, rather than bunched together in a sidequest at the end.

I threw in a Celestial Torrent from Flynn's side, not very different from when activating it with Yuri but enjoy anyway.

Sorry for not being very enthusiastic about this. This is a fun fight, there's just not really anything to write about.

...Is it over?
Did we do it?!
Looks like the system's completely shut down. This blastia can absorb skills from weapons. It must have been giving those skills to the sword.
Then, the blastia absorbed skills from all the weapons here?
Gettin' loads of weapons with these kinda skills ain't easy. Whoever was tryin' to get all those skills inta one sword musta really wanted one hell of a sword.
You mean, kind of like Dein Nomos?
It sounds like something Alexei would do. He did end up making a kind of Dein Nomos imitation, after all. It's not beyond reason that this was also a part of that experiment.
Then...was Alexei the one who stole this sword?
Who knows? We'll never know for sure now.
Even if it wasn't Alexei, whoever made this was definitely up to no good.

I've removed all the skills it collected, too.

No way! That sword's creepin' me out! I mean, that's no ordinary sword even on its own, ya know?

Yes. I can feel how threatening it could be just by holding it.
Anyway, the sword is fine now, and it's in our possession. Are you sure you don't want it?
While fighting to get the sword back, I kept wondering. What exactly is a true knight? I haven't found the answer yet, but this sword gave me the chance to think about it. That's more than enough for me.

You're so generous, despite your age.
Perhaps... The sword's original creator and all its previous masters were testing you, Flynn.
Ooh, I like that. It's kind of romantic.
How can you believe such an unscientific theory?
But you know, if those twins did quit the knights, wouldn't it be bad to give the sword to them? It belongs to the knights, right?
As long as we know where the sword is, I don't think it's a problem if they keep it. Besides, I don't think you need to be a member of the knights to be a knight, in the truest sense of the word. I'm sure we can trust them.
Yeah. Let's hurry and give it to them.

Yeah sure, I'm sick of this place by now.

You called?

We heard talk that you guys were headed this way.
We thought maybe you had found something out about the Sword of Prayer.
You mean this?

Please take care of it until a suitable knight comes along.

You should take it.
Huh? Wait... No... This is...
This sword's strong. I'm sure it'll come in handy.
But it's for a true knight...
We've heard all sorts of stories about you while traveling. Everyone said the same thing. You do everything you can to help others.
That sword is no decoration. Hiding it like it has been up until now is just foolish.
You're more than fit to use the sword. Besides, I think someone who doesn't want it is most suited for it. You gave it to us without a moment's hesitation. I don't think we've got anything to worry about.
Miss Hisca... But I...

What's the problem with a captain of the knights using a sword that belongs to the knights? If it bothers you so much, give it back when you're done with it.
And you think too little.
I'm sure we can trust you. Or maybe I should say, we can trust both of you.
...Understood. I'll take custody of it.
But don't let your guard down. The instant you stray from the path of a knight, we'll take it right back!
You won't have to worry about him.
Hah... Oh, I don't doubt it.
Well then, looks like we should pull out for now. Make us proud, Flynn. For the sword's sake, too.
We'll be rooting for you.

I wonder if those two...
Huh?
Maybe they knew everything right from the start...
Dunno, could be. Well, it doesn't matter either way.
Yes, the real trial starts now. For mankind, for the world... I will make the world I dream of a reality. That's why I swore to lead the knights with all my strength, no matter what. And I swear upon this sword... I will never give up!

Revival Energy HP: When revived (by any method), character will have full HP.
Revival Energy TP: When revived (by any method), character will have full TP.

As you might have guessed, we get to keep the sword. It's very good! It's light-elemental and one of Flynn's best weapons stat-wise.

And that's it for the Sword Dancer sidequest!

---

Glazius posted:

In terms of that attack power, how's that sword compare to the other stuff Flynn can get? Like, far and away the best?

Well, let's compare.

This is what we just got. Since this sidequest unlocks in the endgame, we should compare it to other endgame equipment.

This is what Flynn comes equipped with when he rejoins after Aurnion,

and this is what we can buy, and in turn synthesize. Slightly worse physical attack, noticeably worse magic attack. The Holy Avenger also got the Light attribute that may or may not be useful.

This can be found in a chest in the final dungeon. Still worse, but not by much, and doesn't have any elemental attribute.

This is from beating the 100 Man Melee with Flynn, which in what I think is a bizarre design decision is actually worse than the previous stuff. I suppose the skills are nice.

For completion's sake, this is the joke weapon from Sicily.

And this is from the new bonus dungeon, where we haven't been yet in this LP. This is flat out better, which is fair since that place is incredibly annoying.

So it's the second best weapon stat-wise, but not by a whole lot. Third best if you count the Fell Arms.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, those skills are awesome.

How early can you start that sidequest? The Sword Dancer's stats seem more suited to the middle of the game, rather than the end.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

So what level is your party at right now? the max is still 200 something like in Symphonia, right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How early can you start that sidequest? The Sword Dancer's stats seem more suited to the middle of the game, rather than the end.

Pretty late, unfortunately. It unlocks right before the final dungeon.

Stallion Cabana posted:

So what level is your party at right now? the max is still 200 something like in Symphonia, right?

I've been recording the PS3 stuff out of order and with various saves, so "right now" is irrelevant. I was around 60 in this update though.

And yes, the maximum is 200.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I really like how this version of the Sword Dancer actually has a fighting style very reminiscent of dancing. Also that battle theme rocks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I was half expecting Hisca and Chastel to turn out to be ghosts all along at the end there.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I've blitzed through this thread over the last few days, and it's been an absolute delight all the way through. I've been particularly impressed by how well done the characters are. Thank you, Admiral!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In terms of that attack power, how's that sword compare to the other stuff Flynn can get? Like, far and away the best?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Well, let's compare.

This is what we just got. Since this sidequest unlocks in the endgame, we should compare it to other endgame equipment.

This is what Flynn comes equipped with when he rejoins after Aurnion,

and this is what we can buy, and in turn synthesize. Slightly worse physical attack, noticeably worse magic attack. The Holy Avenger also got the Light attribute that may or may not be useful.

This can be found in a chest in the final dungeon. Still worse, but not by much, and doesn't have any elemental attribute.

This is from beating the 100 Man Melee with Flynn, which in what I think is a bizarre design decision is actually worse than the previous stuff. I suppose the skills are nice.

For completion's sake, this is the joke weapon from Sicily.

And this is from the new bonus dungeon, where we haven't been yet in this LP. This is flat out better, which is fair since that place is incredibly annoying.

So it's the second best weapon stat-wise, but not by a whole lot. Third best if you count the Fell Arms.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Today, we'll do some random scenes that don't really fit anywhere else. It's a pretty short update and not particularly exciting, but enjoy anyway!

To start with, there's a new scene in the Lower Quarter.

Good to see the blastia's still working fine.
But soon it'll stop for good...
Yuri! I told you to give me a shout when you come home.
Hey, look who we have here. And why would I want to talk to an old nag like you?

Oh, Flynn came with you. I didn't see you there.
It's been a while, Mr. Hanks.
No need for formalities, this is your home too. Feel free to let loose.
So Flynn gets to let loose and I have to behave? I see how it is.
Hey, Yuri! One of the royal quarter's lux blastia had its core stolen. It's a big problem for the people who live there. Did you happen to see a lux blastia core when you found the aque blastia core?
Dunno. Best to leave royal quarter problems to royals.

That'll take too long. I heard that it's so dark at night that it's too dangerous to go out now.
Heard from who?
The brat's made a new friend in the royal quarter. And a cute girl, at that!
Oh yeah? I see why you're worried.
Hey, can't you keep your big mouth shut?! Come on, you guys. Can't you come to the royal quarter with me?
Well, if you insist...
We'll be back in just a bit.

It ain't surprising comin' from Flynn since he's a knight, but it's somethin' else ta see Yuri's nurturing side.

Technical sidenote, you can still see Yuri/Flynn in the back right there, they're supposed to be gone. I think whoever made or QA'd this scene had overscan on his TV.

And when someone threatens his family, he'll show no mercy.
It's funny to think that this is the guy who's going to fight the Adephagos and save the world.
True. I never really took him for the world-saving type.
He isn't fighting to save the world. He's just doing what he always does. He's fighting to protect his family. If saving the world meant his family would be put at risk, he wouldn't do it. He'd find another way, so they wouldn't have to die.
Really...?
That'd make him pretty darn self-centered.
Do you think so? I think it's normal to feel the way he does. I'd never claim to be saving the world for the sake of people I've never even met.
You've got a point.

All right, all right. After I'm done with that monster in the sky, I'll take care of it.
I'll make sure to speak to the knights on your behalf, too.
Really?! All right! You guys are the best!
You see that? That's how our to-do list keeps getting bigger.
What are you all whispering about?
Seeing all this makes me kind of happy. I never had a family myself.
Huh? What's up? Come on, we should get going.

Then we have a scene with Sylph that triggers upon reentering Relewiese Hollow.

How come you're out and about?
I find this place... soothing.
Say, when I fell from Zaude, the one who really saved me was you, wasn't it? I doubt Duke could have saved me on his own.
Yes, that is so.
I believe Yuri also said he saw you in the Sands of Kogorh.
Which means you've saved my life twice now.
Thanks are certainly in order.
There is no need to thank me. I merely acted on a whim.
Either way, I'm grateful that you saved me.
Duke had instructed me to do so.
Why were you willing to go to such lengths for him?
Did ya fall for him or somethin'?
Who can say? I've never thought of it that way.
Then why?

Your father...?
My father went on a long journey with him, and fought by his side. My father had lived a long life, and had grown tired of the world. However, Duke brought joy to his life through their conversations. He told me that Duke was very dear to him, so I...
I see. You were Elucifur's daughter.
An Entelexeia family...
It is a very rare occurrence. Entelexeia are typically solitary beings, born from aer, adapting to aer.
That's why all of you look so different.
I have never met another Entelexeia that has relatives myself. But it is a fact that I did have a father, so I believe my own feelings about family are much like a human's. I wanted to help my father's friend...
When you were in the Knights... Was that for Duke as well?
It was probably to keep an eye on Alexei. You informed Duke of what he was doing. Am I right?
Yes, but in the end, Duke chose to go down a path of hardship...
It's not too late. If we stop the Adephagos, Duke won't have any reason to act.
Aye. It's time we drag Duke out of the spotlight.
Yes, you are right. If we succeed, he too will be saved. He may once again return to a life of tranquillity...
Then all we have to do is take that thing down!
Yeah!

Huh?
That's what they call falling in love.
I... No. Perhaps I did. But that is in the past now. I am no longer the Entelexeia, Khroma. I am now the spirit of the wind, Sylph.

And third, we have a new scene with Sicily in Heliord.

What are you doing here, Witcher?
C-Captain Flynn! I'm, ah, well...!
Are you sure you should be shooting the breeze out here? I thought you were in the middle of setting up the blastia network.
Aye, this is definitely fishy.
There's nothing fishy going on! The network's right on schedule and we're making steady progress. In fact, I just finished setting up the barrier blastia here!
I see. Good work.
Shouldn't you be moving on to the next place in the network, then?

Research?
Hey, ain't that Sicily over there?
Does your research have something to do with him?
H-he's a great blastia engineer!
You're a mage. Aren't blastia bodies a little outside your area of expertise?
So? It's still got something to do with blastia! I'm sure there's all sorts of things to study! I'm not going to limit myself!
How very diligent.
You really are a hard worker. I could learn a thing or two.
N-no, you're...
Rita may have gotten where she is through natural genius, but Witcher got here through hard work. Right? If ya don't watch yerself, he'll shoot right past ya!
Y-yeah, right! I couldn't care less about what he does! ...But, I admit he tries hard.
Oh? Then why do ya look so flustered?
I-I don't!

Rita runs off.

Maybe she only just now realized what Apple Head's really capable of...
They're both mages. I'm sure there's plenty to gain through some friendly competition.

Uh, hello...
Professor Sicily!
I thought you were in Halure, going on about motivation or something.
You can find motivazione in all sorts of places.
If you say so.
Say, you remember my invenzione? The autonomous toy I gave you? Might I... borrow it?
It's a-autonomous?!
You mean Karolow X?

I-it's talking! It really is autonomous!
Oh, Karolow! I see you have not lost a bit of your vigore!
P-Professor Sicily! You remembered my name! I-I'm so happy, I could die!
...And he's crying.
Bene. Then I will borrow Karolow for just a little while.
I know it'll be tough without me, but try to stick it out, jarnk!

Eh? Who are you? Well...bene. If you want to come along, feel free!
Th-thank you very much!

Fade out, fade in.

Hehehe... jarnk.
...I can't believe it...
I don't see anything different. What did you do?
Impossibile! I can't give away our secret so soon! Where is the fun in that?
Not telling, jarnk!
Should we be concerned? Think about everything Sicily's done up 'til now...
...Maybe we should be.
Okay, ciao! Maybe I'll go back to Halure or something!
See ya.
I'm sure we'll meet again! Arrivederci!

Did you learn a lot, Witcher?
Yes. As I am right now, there's no way I could keep up with him. But I'll work hard! And one day, I'll even beat Rita Mordio!
Good. That's the spirit.
Um... You do your best too, Captain Flynn! Well then, excuse me.
Thank you, Witcher.

This scene actually gives us something: Karol's second Mystic Arte.

Watch the Mystic Arte! / Baldurdash (please watch this)

Hyperbeam Blaster Ultra X Bomber!

It's the best.

And with that, we're already done for today! Next time, we'll check out the new Team Melee stuff in the Coliseum!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 1, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Karol's second MA is PS3-exclusive? OK yeah the Xbox version IS the crippled beta version.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Karol's second MA is PS3-exclusive? OK yeah the Xbox version IS the crippled beta version.

The Xbox version has one Mystic Arte per character and Flynn isn't a party member.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I thought I had seen the best thing already.

I had not.

I was so naive.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Today, we're going to check out the PS3 version's additions to the Coliseum. Before we can do that, though, we have to collect another thing.

By visiting Caer Bocram in the late game, we can run into the Hunting Blades again.

...It's the Hunting Blades.
What are they up to now?
How could you let it get away?! We had it trapped!
B-but, it was all beat up! Just looking at it made me feel terrible!
Tell me our law.
Monsters are evil. This evil must be punished...
So you broke our law fully aware of what you were doing.

Y-you can't be serious!
One arm.

W-wait a second!
You!

Y-you're going too far! He just let one monster go!
That one monster could one day end up hurting someone. What then? Are you going to take responsibility?
I, uh... But what you're doing is even worse! You're hurting someone right now!
Shut it, punk! You ain't one of us anymore! You ain't got no place questioning our laws!
Wait, Tison.
Huh? But...
This is the second time you've spoken out against us.

But if you really want to get your message across, you're going to have to do it with strength, not words.
Well, since you asked so politely...
Watch out. The boss is-- Clint is strong.
Yeah, we know. I still remember him taking out that monster in one hit way back then...
It's not like we haven't gotten stronger ourselves since then. We can take him.
Ha! No mere human can stand in my way!

This is a fun fight, despite (or maybe because?) Clint having a fairly low HP total for a boss at this point in the game. These are his Hard mode stats.

Clint has a bunch of quite brutal attacks, and is faster than you might expect from a character like him.

Clint also does a very cool thing no other enemy in the game does:

He can loving Fatal Strike you! Makes sense, he's the only other character in the game who you see using it, but still neat to have in an actual battle.

Other than that, he's not too special, but a very fun fight nonetheless.

*Pant* We... we won...
You were right... He was pretty tough...
I... told you...

Ah!
W-what, you want some more?
Heheheh... Hahahahaha!!
B-boss...
W-what's going on? I've never seen the boss laugh like that before.

Don't mention it. But what are you gonna do now? You can't just go back to the Hunting Blades.
Well, for now, I'll go back home to the country. I can work in the fields while I think about what I want to do next.

He looks offscreen towards where Clint went.

A-Ah!

What's that?

"I'm waiting at the Coliseum."
Huh? I thought he wasn't interested in fightin' anything but monsters.
Perhaps he feels we're just as strong as monsters now.
Maybe he just wants...to fight? Like, for sport?
Maybe. Well, it beats fighting over some pent-up grudge, doesn't it?
...Yeah, I guess you're right.

Alright! Now it's actually time for the Coliseum!

At some point late in the game, the left counter at the Coliseum opens up.

Starting today, we're holding a new event at the coliseum!
A new event?

The Team Melee?
We can all fight together!
Indeed. In the Hundred Man Melee, your only companion is solitude. We understand some contestants found the loneliness quite... affecting. So we made an event just for them! In the Team Melee, you can fight alongside all your trustworthy companions!
I don't mind fighting alone every once in awhile.
I kind of like fighting with friends better. We're all in this together, right?
Feel free to challenge the Team Melee any time!

Ah, the Team Melee. A very neat addition to the game. Structured similarly to the Hundred Man Melee, the later challenges just extend the previous one, so we're only going to look at Merciless. To unlock Merciless, you need to beat the two previous levels, and also need a couple of the Letter of Challenges, though I'm not entirely sure which ones can be skipped.

It's Pallestrale's latest specialty, the Team Melee, Merciless Level! Merciless! You do understand what that word means, right?! It's the ultimate challenge befitting only the mightiest warriors! I commend our contenders for their bravery. We'll be sure to collect their bones afterwards!

The rising light of hope, shining bright in the night sky! Allow me to introduce the star guild, Brave Vesperia! Now! Let the festivities begin!

Watch the Team Melee! / Baldurdash

Do note that his video is edited together from several different recordings. This was necessary since, like the Hundred Man Melee, the difficulty of this thing is extremely poorly balanced: Either you have a good fight with the early enemies and then hit a brick wall later, or the early enemies are super boring and can only deal 1 damage but at least the end is fun. And in every case, it feels like the enemies have a bit too much HP.

Do also note that the recordings used have been made a various points in time. Some of the Arte names that appear on the top of the screen in the English footage may be hilariously out of date.

Since this is the Team Melee, enemies spawn in teams. The Coliseum announcer has a line or two for each.

All six stars, together at last! Whose light will shine the strongest? Ready, fight!

Starting off fairly simple, a team of all the colored Superstars you can find in the game. They can still gently caress you up though! One thing about the Team Melee is that it's easy for enemies to team up and stunlock you to death, especially on higher difficulties.

Gentlemen gather in Palestralle! Prepare for a lesson in etiquette! Ready, fight!

After that is a team of various Gentlemen. They're not really exciting, but very silly.

You bested them on their own, but these treacherous three have teamed up for vengeance! Here they come! Ready, fight!

You probably don't remember, but these three guys are from way back, when we had to go into the Coliseum for story reasons. They're just as boring as they were back then.

That armor doesn't suit a guild! But that doesn't matter here! Strength is justice! Show us your knightly spirit! Ready, fight!

Now we're getting somewhere! Schwann only shows up if Raven is not in the party. I think this is also the only fight where you get to battle Leblanc.

As far as I can tell, Schwann fights pretty much the same as in the regular battle against him. He even gets his Mystic Arte!

Apart from the novelty value, though, this isn't too interesting.

No mercy for monsters! Even less mercy for humans! You better watch out for that Fatal Strike! It's time to settle the score! Ready, fight!

Like before, Karol is only with them if he's not in your party. He has all his regular Artes and will even attack you with both of his Mystic Artes if you let him!

I'm not sure if he had this in his normal battle, but here at least Clint gets a Mystic Arte, which is really just a glorified Fatal Strike.

Instantly kills whoever he hits, no matter the HP.

Also, this happened when only Nan was still alive, leading me to believe that all the Hunting Blade members can Fatal Strike in this battle. Not entirely sure though.

Anyway, moving on.

Transcending space and time, the ultimate dream team is made reality at long last! Each one is a legend in their own right! There's no telling what'll happen next! Ready, fight!

This, unfortunately, is rather disappointing. With maxed levels, they're way too easy on Hard but impossibly strong on Unknown, so there's no good way to properly fight them.

The thing that makes this so hard on Unknown is Barbatos' Mystic Arte, No Items Ever.

It becomes really hard to heal up or revive, since he will most likely outdamage the item effects on Unknown.

Proper damage not shown here.

And finally...

(Look at this amazing shot!)

What's this?! Internal conflict? No, that's not it! "We want to get stronger! Let's work together to reach new heights!" Nobody's pulling any punches here! Ready, fight!

This, though, is fantastic. Most likely the best fight in the game.

All five inactive party members fight against your four active ones, with all their stuff they'd usually have. It's so good!

Congratulations! Brave Vesperia, the brightest star in the sky! The light of hope that conquers the deepest darkness! The reward's all yours! No more enemies stand in your way, but never forget! The true enemy lies within! Never neglect your search for strength! Shine on, Brave Vesperia!

For beating this the first time, you get the Limit Octet, which doubles your maximum Over Limit gauge to 8. Would be much more useful if you could actually get it earlier, but still kinda neat.

And that's all for today! Next time, we'll check out the new bonus dungeon. That's gonna be a fun one...

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 1, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Clint's only bullshit move is when you've everyone close and he pops that Mystic Arte, FSing everyone instantly...doesn't he also show up in the 200-man melee now that you've fought him?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I wish the team fight was in the Xbox version, but with only seven characters, it wouldn't be nearly interesting enough.

Four against five, on the other hand, looks totally amazing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

doesn't he also show up in the 200-man melee now that you've fought him?

Yeah, he does.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The new bonus dungeon is rather long and this page is getting pretty full, so I wouldn't mind having a new one before that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The new bonus dungeon is rather long and this page is getting pretty full, so I wouldn't mind having a new one before that.

Sounds good. Do you have any idea why Xillia seems to look worse than Vesperia or Graces? For some reason it looks kind of blurry to me. Xillia 2 with the same environments looks better so I'm not sure what it is. The lighting model?

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
I've only ever seen one video of the Bonus dungeon, but that was over a year ago so I can't remember much about it a quirk with the boss at the end of it, so I'm actually looking forward to seeing it in the LP.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

this entire LP is still supremely enjoyable, there's no way I would have ever had the patience to do all this content myself.

bbqsb
Jul 29, 2014
When I did the Merciless Rank of the team battle, I was playing on normal, but I was also only around level 90-ish. Barbatos destroyed me the first few times. The party fight at the end really is very fun, though

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to the bonus dungeon, as I really want to know the story of it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm mostly just impressed that there's still stuff to do. Not being familiar with the game myself, I'd long since expected you to run out of bonus content to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We're definitely approaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of content, but Tales games are huge.

• Locked thread