Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
It's always weird how some bosses won't give you any trouble the first time you play them then they just brutalize you when you play them again. This guy and a few bosses later did it to me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
"Blastia have hearts too!"

So they're sentient or something? They really are the new "Exspheres."

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's just Rita being eccentric. She's a bit crazy regarding blastia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Psion posted:

no way man gotta get those sweet 5G achievements

I did them all :negative:

One of the later ones - you all know which one if you've played this - was THE WORST ughhhh

I randomly got that one after like two tries, it was really weird. There were others that I thought were weirder like knocking a certain someone off of a boat that one was really specific in how to do it.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I think they are like companion cubes to her.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
loving Goliath! He gave me such a hard time even though he never out right killed me. He did bust out Over Limit, wander into the middle of all my guys, spun, taking out Karol, Rita, Estelle, and leaving Yuri with a tiny silver health.

gently caress Goliath.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So I'm guessing that Estelle's Blastia is not normal? Both Yuri and Rita have shown an interest in it so far.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lance Streetman posted:

So I'm guessing that Estelle's Blastia is not normal? Both Yuri and Rita have shown an interest in it so far.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

"Blastia have hearts too!"

So they're sentient or something? They really are the new "Exspheres."

These are both things that will actually be examined by the game at some point.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Wow, Rita sure likes punching people.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Remember guys, Aer is everywhere, even in blastia.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

CrookedB posted:

Wow, Rita sure likes punching people.

Actually she's whipping him with her chain there. But yes she does.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

SweaterGear posted:

Actually she's whipping him with her chain there. But yes she does.

Ah yes my bad, didn't notice the chain. And yeah, it looks like we can always count on her for the renegade interrupt.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Man, the further in this game I get, the more I really appreciate Yuri as a main lead. He's competent, charismatic, has his own defined flaws and strengths, and above all, he actually does what I would want to do in most given situations. There's a point coming up that I won't spoil where he does something rather drastic that I couldn't help but cheer for, because not two minutes before I said to myself "Man, I hope he does X". And he did! It's really refreshing to see that in a protagonist.

I also enjoy how logical the progression of the plot is. The characters are acting along a pretty rational course, and there's no ridiculous deus ex machina events that force the plot forward--rather, it evolves out of the consequences of prior actions, and that really speaks well to the pacing of the story. I have no idea how far in the game I am though. I just beat the Tower of Gears and we're starting a guild. Anyone care to give me a ball park of how far I have to go?

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 2, 2011

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

CrookedB posted:

Ah yes my bad, didn't notice the chain. And yeah, it looks like we can always count on her for the renegade interrupt.

I'm pretty sure you could say that about everyone in our current party, save Estelle.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RentCavalier posted:

I just beat the Tower of Gears and we're starting a guild. Anyone care to give me a ball park of how far I have to go?

1) Your spoiler tag is messed up.
2) You're about at the 1/3 point of the game, give or take.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Man, the further in this game I get, the more I really appreciate Yuri as a main lead. He's competent, charismatic, has his own defined flaws and strengths, and above all, he actually does what I would want to do in most given situations. There's a point coming up that I won't spoil where he does something rather drastic that I couldn't help but cheer for, because not two minutes before I said to myself "Man, I hope he does X". And he did! It's really refreshing to see that in a protagonist.

I also enjoy how logical the progression of the plot is. The characters are acting along a pretty rational course, and there's no ridiculous deus ex machina events that force the plot forward--rather, it evolves out of the consequences of prior actions, and that really speaks well to the pacing of the story. I have no idea how far in the game I am though. I just beat the Tower of Gears and we're starting a guild. Anyone care to give me a ball park of how far I have to go?

I think that's the end of part 1 of 3. I can't say for sure that the parts are equal length though, though I can say a first playthrough will probably take you anywhere from 45-60 hours. Also, you messed up your spoiler tags.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Yeah, as far as "Tales of" goes, Yuri is the best protagonist. He has a solid background, has defined flaws and strengths, Is NOT whiny about his flaws, even while trying to work with them, and doesn't get broken out of character. He is a snarky rear end in a top hat, without being unlikable. That takes some skill in writing. Not to mention he is a refreshing break from all the white knight in shining armor protagonists running around. Don't worry, we meet the knight later, he is cool too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Cake Attack posted:

I think that's the end of part 1 of 3. I can't say for sure that the parts are equal length though, though I can say a first playthrough will probably take you anywhere from 45-60 hours. Also, you messed up your spoiler tags.

That is indeed the end of Part 1. The next part will run the longest, and Part 3 will be the endgame.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

RentCavalier posted:

There's a point coming up that I won't spoil where he does something rather drastic that I couldn't help but cheer for, because not two minutes before I said to myself "Man, I hope he does X". And he did! It's really refreshing to see that in a protagonist.

I did exactly the same thing, and I am pretty sure I did that on another occasion, too; damned if I can remember what it was, but I remember going "drat, that's 2 for 2".

Perhaps it was the other similar event later. That one was done in a cooler way, too, I thought.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are there privately held blastia, or are they all being used for the public good? You'd think you'd ruffle many fewer feathers by not stealing the ones people depend on to not die of thirst or get wrecked by monsters.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

There are personal ones, but they usually lie in the hands of the rather powerful. one person asked what these people are nobles of, since lords usually have land and the like, well, instead of land, it means you control a portion of the blastia supply. The leaders of guilds generally have a pretty good supply on hand as well. At least the leaders of powerful guilds.
Not the kinds of people you want mad at you.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Before going back to Aspio, I notice the King of Adventure inn a bit further east. I decide to heal up there, triggering a cutscene in the process.

...Hmpf...

Yeah, it's been a while.
What pleasant serendipity that we would run into each other yet again!
...I thought we'd see them again...
Oh, big brother, you're ever so blunt!
Who are these people...?
This is Karen and Rich! They're traveling around and operating an inn.
Nice to meet you! ♥
N-nice to meet you too...
It seems you have more companions since the last time we met. How nice! Perhaps you'd like to stop and rest?
Yeah, I could use some rest.
I agree. I'm kind of tired out, myself...
Well then, we'll take you up on your offer.
Please, make yourselves at home.

*Yaaaaaaawn* ...
Did you sleep well?
Yeah, I slept like a trick yo-yo.
If you ever happen to see us around again, please stop and say hello!♪
Yes, thank you so much. You're so kind!
...Later...
Big brother, I keep telling you, try to be more friendly!

I was actually hoping to trigger another scene, but I guess that only unlocks later. Anyway, let's go to Aspio.

So who is this knight, exactly?
He's Yuri's friend.
Hmmm, "your" friend? That must be a pain.
Huh?
Never mind. So what brings him to this town?
He was looking for a mage to repair Halure's barrier blastia...
Ohh...that rookie... He came to see me, too.
Flynn did? Was he all right?
Yeah, I guess.
You guess?
Since he's a knight, I'm sure he got some mage or another to help. Maybe he's already back in Halure?
...Oh, no...

I don't think Rita's the sort of person to steal.
Vouch for her character all you like, but that doesn't prove her innocence.
But...!
Don't bother trying to make him believe me. But, I really didn't do it, y'know.
Hmph. Well, I guess research seems to fit you better than robbery.
Yuri isn't very good at expressing his feelings.
...What a weirdo.

I'm going to go let the city guards know about what happened. Go and wait for me in my lab.
I don't think those stubborn guards will let us pass through the entrance.
True. Then take this with you. Show this to the guard and they should let you through.
Thanks.
Got it? Don't leave town without my permission or you'll be sorry!

Obtained Passport!
Rita left the party.

Skit: Clearing Rita's Name
It's a good thing the core thief you're chasing turned out not to be Rita, right Yuri?
Huh? How do you figure that? I couldn't care less who the core thief was. I would have loved if it were Rita. I'd be done by now.
I wouldn't let her hear you say that...
Well, at least we got a lead for catching the real criminal. I can't complain about that.

Watch the cutscene!

To Rita's house! Yuri, Karol and Repede make themselves comfortable, while Estelle walks up-and-down as if something's bothering her.

If you're that worried about Flynn, would you rather leave now?

Then take it easy.
What are you gonna do after this, Yuri?
I guess I'll go pay a visit to the guy behind all this core stealing. It sounds like Dedecchi ended up going to the same place, too.

Didn't he say Torim Harbor?
Oh right, you don't know.
Don't know what?
Nor and Torim are both ports of a city that extends across two different continents. On the Ilyccian side, where we are now, is the port of Capua Nor. People call it Nor Harbor. Capua Torim is the port on the other side, on the Tolbyccian continent. It's usually just called Torim Harbor. So first we'll go to Nor Harbor. We'll have to pass by Ehmead Hill on the way, but it's not that far west from here.
I'll be going back to Halure. I still need to follow Flynn.
...Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I'll head back to Halure, too.
Huh? Why? How can you just say that? The thief's gonna get away!

Besides, if we're going west, that will take us close to Halure.
Aww man, but I...
You gotta be somewhere? A sick girlfriend with an incurable disease or something?

I know I asked you to wait for me, but you sure made yourselves at home, didn't you?

What a heartfelt apology.
I'll take it though. It worked out pretty well for me, too.
Rita?
Well, thanks for the hospitality.
What? Going so soon?
We don't want to overstay our welcome. Plus, we're in a bit of a hurry.
I'm so happy to have met you, Rita. I'm afraid we have to go now. I'll thank you properly later.
Okay...

Skit: The Frail Girlfriend
So tell me about this frail girlfriend of yours, Karol.
Wha?!
The reason you want to go to Nor Harbor is so you can see her, isn't it?
H-how do you know about her?!
I knew it!
N-no! I mean, she's not even in Nor Harbor...
Oh, it's not Nor Harbor?
I d-don't know what you're talking about!
You might as well come clean, Karol. It's obvious Estelle's not going to give up.
You've got it all wrong!
Karol...

We can't even walk a few meters before we notice Rita following us.

Watch the cutscene!

If you're seeing us off, we'll say goodbye here.
I'm going with you.

Oh, so this is why you told us not to leave without saying goodbye, huh?
Yeah.
Is that it? Just "yeah?"
Can you just leave like that? You're an important mage here right?

I want to see Halure's barrier blastia for myself. It's no good to the people there if it's broken, right?
Actually, the three of us fixed it together.
Huh? What do you mean you "fixed" it? You're just amateurs.
You know, we revived it. It was great! Estel--
Let's just say it was beginner's luck.

Suit yourself.

I've never had a real friend my own age before!
I-I'm not so sure we're--
This is going to be so much fun!
Y-yeah...

Rita joined the party!

Alright, off to... Rita's house! Yeah, getting Rita back here unlocks part of a sidequest at Rita's place. Not only that, but it's part of a sidequest required for one of the best weapons of a character we don't even have yet. And of course, it's got a rather limited time frame in which we can activate it. Miss it, and you're not gonna get that weapon this playthrough. It's a dick move, and by far not the only one regarding sidequests in this game.

Hey, I told you not to touch Victoria with your grimy little hands!
Vic-Victoria? Do you mean this blastia...?
How come you like them so much?
How come... Because they're fun! The way they work, the theory behind them... Argh, I don't know... I've never thought about it! Can you give reasons why you like the things you like?
Well, there are definitely some things I like for no particular reason. I guess the reason I like them is because...I like them.
Exactly.

And it's not even something that seems related to anything important. Oh well. Now we can leave for Halure.

Skit: Traveling with This Bunch?
When we left the capital, it was just me, Repede and Estelle.
Now Karol and Rita have joined us. I'm so happy to have more people to travel with!
I'm not so sure about some people in our party, though.
I'm not so sure about you, you little runt.
Hey now, go easy on the young Captain.
Rita, we all have to work to get along, okay?
Oh, yeah... Right.

Skit: Big Game in a Small Package
Isn't it hard to use a weapon that large, Karol?
It's a little heavy, but I need to hold something large like this to make myself look bigger.
That's just the right trick to hide your miniscule size.
Ah, you want to look bigger to fool the enemies.
Now that you mention it, small monsters often puff themselves up to appear more menacing.
Right, it's just like...huh?
Are you saying I'm the same as a monster?
Even so, changing your appearance doesn't change who you really are, Karol.
Are you dangerous? Tell us right now if you are!

...I hope that's not another one of your clever tricks.

On the way, another arte!

ζ×Ψ=Φ, pronounced "Phi", is a physical arte where Rita spins around while holding her weapon in front of her. Decent if you find yourself surrounded, but overall not all that useful.

Skit: Rita's Age
Have you been doing research in Aspio for a long time, Rita?
Yeah, I guess about five years.
Five years, wow... Rita, how old are you, anyway?
...I'm fifteen.
W-wow... Y-you're so grown up. I can't believe you were researching blastia at ten...
It's not a big deal. How old are you, Estellise?
Oh, umm, I just turned eighteen this year.
Time to grow up.
R-right... I'll do my best.

Skit: Rita and Repede
What are you looking at?
Woof!
Hey dog, you keep away!
Huh? Rita, are you afraid of dogs?
Not at all! Mind your own business!

Repede comes closer to Rita.

Oh no...
Hey Rita, I wanted to ask you about this-- Oh, Repede!

Estelle tries to get close to Repede, who runs away from her.

Repede sure knows who he likes and who he doesn't.

Alright, let's stop by Halure before heading off to Capua Nor, next time.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 9, 2016

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Repede sure knows who he likes and who he doesn't.

I'm thoroughly convinced that Repede just likes loving with people, the only person he actually likes is Yuri, and that's just because Yuri's cool people.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's like I said earlier: Repede is an rear end in a top hat. He's a magnificent one. When the game isn't just showing you that yes, Repede was there, too, it's because Repede is being an rear end in a top hat to someone or doing something amazing.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Repede is awesome. He's fast, hits reasonably hard, has cool mobility-enhancing artes and he never says anything stupid because he's a dog. He even has to handicap himself by using daggers or he'd just steal Yuri's spotlight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Repede can just get away with anything because he's a dog, and everybody roots for the dog.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

The only downside to Repede is that you can't make him the icon you walk around with. I don't care if it doesn't make sense that people are talking to a dog.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

yrF posted:

The only downside to Repede is that you can't make him the icon you walk around with. I don't care if it doesn't make sense that people are talking to a dog.

I think you can in the PS3 version, not positive though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

yrF posted:

The first thing I did upon entering the world map in Vesperia was attempt to turn myself into Repede. I was incredibly disappointed that I could not. The very idea of not being able to do so in the PS3 version, where he can wear a moustache/sunglasses, would be depressing.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I thought you had to synth up a flag or something like that in order to change your character on the screen. I do remember that it wouldn't let me play as Repede though.
Speaking of synths; I guess I was one of the weird ones who liked the white hat on Yuri more then the black one. Estelle still looks odd without the glasses on though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Zebrin posted:

I thought you had to synth up a flag or something like that in order to change your character on the screen. I do remember that it wouldn't let me play as Repede though.
Speaking of synths; I guess I was one of the weird ones who liked the white hat on Yuri more then the black one. Estelle still looks odd without the glasses on though.

I originally had Yuri in the white hat.

Then, y'know, that poo poo happened a third of the way in and I felt I had to switch.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

yrF posted:

SpazmasterX posted:

I think you can in the PS3 version, not positive though.

Yeah, you need an extra "Special Flag R", but yes you can.

Speaking of which! I just got the Special Flag in my last recording session (stopped after Ehmead Hill), any preferences on which character I should start running around towns and dungeons? If not I'll just leave Yuri for now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Speaking of which! I just got the Special Flag in my last recording session (stopped after Ehmead Hill), any preferences on which character I should start running around towns and dungeons? If not I'll just leave Yuri for now.

Rita. Or Yuri is fine too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Gotta be Yuri.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Repede:colbert:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Stick with Yuri. He's awesome and easily one of the best jrpg protagonists.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lance Streetman posted:

This isn't the PS3 version, so it's not possible.

Stick with Yuri.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Every dog has his day, but not on this console. :(

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

You should cycle through the characters based off of who the plot if currently focusing on. Yuri will be your standby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

You should cycle through the characters based off of who the plot if currently focusing on. Yuri will be your standby.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I like it.

• Locked thread