Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Not only does that point accurately sum up my feelings about Patty, it's a great post/avatar combo.

Great job so far Admiral Curtiss! ToV is one of my favorite games, so I will be following this thread pretty closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's also one coming up that requires a specific character and is also a pain in the rear end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Get him against the edge of the boat, hit him with Crushing Eagle, and then immediately pop Over Limit. Over he goes!

Too bad I didn't figure this out until my second go-round.

Fang Strike works too and doesn't require you to be level 20.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

people posted:

Vesperia's language
:aaaaa:

I never even CONSIDERED that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There is only one acceptable attachment for Yuri and I think you already know what it is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Adding to above Giant Scroll for Rita

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^^^: :argh: Well, I forgot about Speed Cast, I guess.

Put Light Magic, Minimum Damage, Spell End, O.L. Boost and other helpful Skills on Rita. Put Taunt and Taunt 2 on the other three and give them Dice. Set the difficulty as high as you want and set the other three to Defend. Use a Dark Bottle and try to get a big Link Encounter (8 enemies is ideal). Make sure your Overlimit is full.

Go Overlimit with Rita and start spamming Tidal Wave. When her Overlimit starts to run out, go overlimit again and keep going. If you have enough enemies, you should be able to maintain level 3 Overlimit indefinitely, so you can keep going until you get bored and get as much Grade as you want.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Disagree. You only get five enemies at a time with him. You really want eight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AnotherGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't maintain Lv3 Overlimit past its initial use, the other characters can't simply taunt fast enough and nor does Tidal Wave hit often enough.

Instead you should get a Risky Ring, slap that on her, equip skills that randomly restore her TP when you activate OL and just spam Lv1 version.

Well, I've done it, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong. :colbert:

Might require use of an Imperial Prestige or two.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Psion posted:

2) THIS IS SO BORING I need like 6500 more grade :qq: (for EVERYTHING I want, I may skip stuff like increase HP to start with because ugh)

Maybe do a second playthrough with double Grade? Whatever Grade you spend is refunded at the end of the game, so that might make it easier to get to how much you actually want.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The issue there is that if you play on Easy, you don't get any Grade at all.

However, having double Grade would make Grade farming twice as fast. You could also unlock Unknown, since higher difficulty adds an extra Grade multiplier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Slaan posted:

I've had several long discussions with Japanese friends about this. It can be really entertaining and silly. To them, cows go 'Noo' instead of 'Moo,' for instance. But some are really close, 'meow' and 'nyeow'

It's actually more like "nyan."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glazius posted:

So when you learn Minimum Damage, it can auto-equip and stick with you regardless of what weapon you use?

Yep, unless you go into your Skill menu and manually turn it off.

vvv: On the other hand, it lets you use the Skill without having to use the weapon, which can be useful.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Raven's not that bad, but he gets pretty overshadowed by the rest of the cast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Adus posted:

Shining Fang may be Yuri's best arte if you're concerned about combo generation, considering it hits like 5 times and can be spammed during overlimit due to it being a base arte.

It actually hits more like 8 times and being a base arte doesn't matter, because you can spam anything when you're in Overlimit.

Shining Fang is one of Yuri's best base artes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

He's not too bad in cutscenes compared to what I remember but dude's just plain awful in combat.

This is actually pretty incorrect. He's an awesome healer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nondevor posted:

Judith seems like she'd be pretty fun to play as; her attacks remind me of Gwendolyn's moveset from Odin Sphere.

Also, the skits in this update were pretty hilarious. Rita punching Raven was a great moment. Overall, I like the party dynamic here a lot more than in other games - they seem like a group of good buddies who can take a joke.

This is one of the main reasons I like this game so much. The plot is kind of mediocre, but the cast interactions are fantastic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There is a katana, but it's just a weapon. No real significance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait...that was a katana? I was thinking of a totally different sword.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, to put this all to rest, I just checked on my copy.

There are two katanas. One is a totally normal weapon with Super Chain 5. The other is sort of plot related and has Special and Combination 2.

The real plot related sword is not a katana and the sword with Combo Plus 2 isn't either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

We are approaching my favorite scene in the game.

Can I make an attachment request?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm not sure if I can get access to another shop before that scene, so you might not. fakeedit: Actually I might be able to go back into Ghasfarost and use that shop, gotta check that.

If I'm recalling correctly, you can duck into one of the Dahngrest shops before triggering the scene.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That scene has always been one of my favorite in the game, but the Black Hat makes it work so much better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Abyss was not that bad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

If this wasn't such a relatively soft and colorful JRPG world, Flynn would be kind of a chump.

He still kind of is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

DS game in America: ~$35
DS game in Japans: ~6500 yen.
Exchange rate: ~100 yen: $1

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Man, that's not even the best one.

I actively don't like Raven and I still wouldn't have posted that one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, that's a pretty good point.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Senerio posted:

Best party, however, is Yuri-Rita-Estelle-Raven. Best end of battle quotes (though Estelle and Repede are great too) and you get 1½ healers, a tanky damage dealer, a ranged damage dealer, and a reliable source of magic damage. (Was a spell name, but decided against using it)

Yuri/Rita/Repede/Karol.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KDavisJr posted:

Estelle is a healer. You need a healer in a RPG. End of story.

Karol is a healer! Also a really good one with a decent AI! :eng101:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

KDavisJr posted:

But Estelle is a better healer! :eng101:

Incorrect!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Psion posted:

Someone remind me what problems they had with Estelle as a healer because all I did was set up her AI and I probably put a healing spell on one of the shortcut buttons because I always controlled Yuri. I never thought about switching her out until Some Numbers went on his Karol Is An Awesome Healer spree, which has me interested, as I said.

Her AI is dumb as a rock. She uses Nurse when everyone has full health and runs up to attack bosses when they're in Overlimit. Also, her heals have casting times.

Honestly, she was fine on Normal, but when I started a cold playthrough on Hard, Barbos destroyed me two or three times. With another human player. As a last resort, we swapped Estelle for Karol, set him to Heal and he started healing us. When I started getting hurt, I'd Free Run away and he'd intersect with me and heal me.

He's never left my party since.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RelentlessImp posted:

Here's how to make Estelle a healer worthy of the Unknown difficulty:

Battle Strategy
Target: Help Allies
HP: Full Attack
TP: Full Artes
Action: Magic Artes Only
Position: Keep Distance
Item: Watch TP
Overlimit: Do Not Use
Fatal Strike: Do Not Use

This makes it so she almost never runs in to attack, and she focuses on using spells instead of her attack artes. Of course, she's still going to overcast heals, but hey. Nightingale is awesome.

Turn off all her attack spells and she'll only ever heal, leaving three bruisers to beat the crap out of things.

Yeah, I tried that, but the fact that she has to spend time casting was still a huge problem for me. Karol's heals are instant.

One other thing about Karol: his heals will always heal him, unlike Raven.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A jargogle posted:

A pity, they amused me. I honestly never really found it worthwhile to bother with cooking though in all honesty. I mean I guess there's no reason not to use it, just there wasn't much motivation to be using it either.

Actually cooking is really cash efficient, especially if you can get the better recipes earlier.

You can get Sorbet (TP +10%) in Capua Nor and Yuri can cook it into Pudding and Cake, which restore 20% and 30% respectively.

Being able to restore 30% of your party's TP at the end of every battle is really awesome.

Karol can also get you a +15% HP and TP recipe around the spot Admiral is at.

Also a lot of the cooking skits are pretty funny.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

The more Patty I see, the more tacked on and unnecessary she seems.

I haven't played the PS3 version, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does that mean you need to synth multiple hats? Or can they share one?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I want the PS3 version just because of one notable omission from the 360 version Indignation.

This would be incredibly awesome, but I'm not sure putting up with Patty is worth it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Well, those skits just now could be avoided by not hitting the button. They make it look like Patty was designed by the DNW team.

Sure, but you can't avoid her talking in cutscenes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure Flynn doesn't get Tempest. Actually, I don't think anyone gets Tempest, though I'm probably wrong.

Repede. :smug:

Though it's not actually called Tempest, he has a moved that's very similar to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah, I didn't catch it until the reveal on my first playthrough either.

Nor did I or my friend who I was playing with.

• Locked thread