Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Glad to see this has started. I wish they'd bring the PS3 version over, I don't want to have to buy an xbox just for one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Additional Coliseum content
Everyone gets an extra Mystic Arte
Overlimit Bar has 8 segments rather than 4
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I like Estelle. She's a character archetype that COULD be annoying, but isn't (so far).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Estelle is no "Collete" let's just leave it at that for now.

So far Estelle has said "sorry" zero times while Yuri has said it twice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Yuri is a loving revelation after dumb JRPG heroes like Nowe and Emil, thank god.

In any other game, he'd be the snarky older mentor who everyone likes but isn't the hero

See: Garrus, Auron, Balthier, FF7 Cid.

I (unfortunately) know all to well about Emil, but do you mean the Nowe from Drakengard 2? I haven't been following that LP I must confess.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

Oh hey, forgot that guy's name was Leblanc. Overall I'd rate him as the better-designed of the two Leblancs featured in currently-ongoing LPs.

His outfit is much less ridiculous.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Was there any way to set a cooking shortcut in Abyss and I missed it? I couldn't seem to cook from the end of battle screen (and frequently I wanted to).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd have to start the game to check but I'm pretty sure there was.

Well, I am a bit dumb.

Anyway Karol reminds me of Lloyd a LOT.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SweaterGear posted:

Holy poo poo, it's Emil!
We're gonna have a big old Nier-family reunion on our hands if Liam O'Brien and Laura Bailey show up.

Every time I see "Emil" I think of the ToS2 one. I need to change that association so I don't get angry for no reason as often.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure the scene with her healing the tree is meant to echo a similar scene in Phantasia.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I can already tell I like Rita.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

The entire sequence for said item is just plain awful in how big of a dick move it is, too. I don't think I've ever got it because I always forget something so minute until I've passed the point where you can trigger it.

Tales_of_Sidequests.txt

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Right now I'm just nostalgic about how much effort it was to get everyone their correct portrait in Symphonia, since everyone had a dozen or so different emotion portraits from skits.

Also I'm wondering if it's ever possible to do over 100k with Rita's Meteor Storm.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Senerio posted:

Mechanics talk, spoilers
If you ever want to break an Xbox 360 framerate, follow these four simple steps.
1) Equip Meteor Storm on Rita
2) Equip Heavy Magic(Damage and Cost up) on Rita
3) Go Overlimit 1
4) Spam Meteor Storm
5) Watch all basic enemies, and even some bosses, die before all your overlimit is out.

In that case, I insist Admiral H. Curtiss provide a screenshot of Rita doing that when the time comes. Bonus points if he can combo a boss for more health than they actually have.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

laod posted:

I don't have much experience with the Tales series beyond playing Vesperia and watching wdarkk's LP of Symphonia. Are the main series titles consistently improving? If so, you all must have high hopes for Xillia considering how solid Vesperia is.

Well, Graces was supposedly a bit more generic plot-wise and character-wise than Vesperia but using a superior battle system. So I'm not sure we can call it 100% improvement.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

This is the most incongruous Yuri portrait. Look at those big soft doe eyes.

He looks like the purple-haired woman from Evangelion there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I say integrate it. We'll probably totally forget the context if you do it all at the end.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

rubythunder posted:

My god! I don't see how you people think Rita is a good character right now. All that blastia stuff is just so god drat annoying! I'm sure she's got a reason but still!

I don't mind it. Then again, I'm not really warming up to Raven much.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

BreakTargets posted:

The first time I played this, I thought the password hints were the password.

Holy poo poo is your avatar made from the gif I did for my LP?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

BreakTargets posted:

No, it's from the other Tales of Symphonia LP.

That's a weird coincidence, since I made a similar gif for mine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I hope the PS3 translation hack/patch/etc works on PS3s with the latest firmware, since I had to upgrade to play Disgaea 4.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah Disgaea 4 made me update to 3.61 so I might be in trouble there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure this is the first time they've been mentioned.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Last Transmission posted:

We see one in Update 29. Admiral H. Curtiss mentions that she is Krytian in his commentary. Though I didn't reread the update, so they may be mentioned in one of the pictures.

Do you mean the video commentary? I don't see the species being mentioned in the text.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Last Transmission posted:

I just did a ctrl+f search on the whole page. I must have found it in another update posted on the same page and thought I got the right one. :downs:

Yeah, I see it now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I have to wonder whether the "dual wield a sword and axe" thing is a reference to Dawn of the New World, which was in development at the same time and featured a character who did that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

rubythunder posted:

Well he does have a mechanical eye it seems. What does it say on the trophy/stamp there?

I think "Vesperia".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord_Ventnor posted:

If you all would indulge my anime-sperging for a moment, I see Yuri and Flynn as being similar to Lelouch and Suzaku of Code Geass, in that one is attempting to reform a corrupt system from within, and the other is attempting methods from without.

Except this game actually has good writing, so... yeah.

Hey, they had an entirely different Tales game in production to stuff all the other qualities of Code Geas into. And I LPed it. :suicide:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Xillia (the most recent one) is supposedly pretty cool plot-wise, and Graces isn't that bad I've heard.

Of course neither of those is available in English yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I like this approach.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I want the PS3 version just because of one notable omission from the 360 version Indignation.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

This would be incredibly awesome, but I'm not sure putting up with Patty is worth it.

Well, those skits just now could be avoided by not hitting the button. They make it look like Patty was designed by the DNW team.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Here's hoping the PS3 patch eventually works with current firmware PS3s, I had to update for Disgaea 4.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Actually there is a thread in games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Adelheid Stark posted:

You know, Admiral Curtiss. You're already doing a translation. Think you could possibly change the scope of the project?And just entirely rewrite Patty's character? Or at least excise that thing about amnesia and put literally anything else in its place.

I think anyone who wanted to use your patch would appreciate it.

No because at least 50% of them (being very generous here) are terrible sperglord japanophiles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Psion posted:

I know. It's so bad. Yet so hilarious.

Hey, Symphonia's is still sort of worse.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, Patty is the spitting image of Aifred. Except that Aifred was probably much older. And probably a much different gender. And probably much less annoying.

Maybe he's just effiminate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CVE posted:

Yuri is just the best right hand you could wish for. Hopefully Tales of Graces has an equally strong and fun character when I get to play it in about 2 weeks or so it takes to ship it from the states.

The main character's no Yuri, but the cast is certainly fun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This is a pretty fun battle, but can be very hard if you're not prepared for it. Here is a run of it on Hard difficulty: (mostly fine but a bit sloppy at parts, see if you can count how many times I try to quick-step away from the enemy ala Graces and activate magic guard instead!)

I have a feeling Graces has ruined other Tales games for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

Yeah, I was just talking to a friend about that. We both love the new systems, but drat if it doesn't make the others seem a bit worse for not having them. (Not to mention the axes on the stick being swapped as far as in-battle controls. :sigh:)

On the plus side, that LP I did seems to have cured me of any desire to replay Symphonia again.

• Locked thread