Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

This is a fantastic game. Also, Yuri is the best protagonist, I don't get why more JRPG protagonists can't be like him. I couldn't give a source, but isn't he pretty popular in Japan as well?

Agreed. This is quite possibly the best Tales game. I have a bit of a problem with the story later, though -- basically there's a lot of interesting moral questions that start getting presented somewhere around the middle of the game, when Yuri starts turning into more and more of a terrorist vigilante and Flynn starts turning into more and more of a fascist to keep up with the pressures of his job, but it gets completely abandoned when everyone forgets their differences to team up against Generic Anime Big Bad #47. I already weirded out my own thread by babbling about it there, though, so I'll hold off on discussing it here until we get to the relevant plot points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey, forgot that guy's name was Leblanc. Overall I'd rate him as the better-designed of the two Leblancs featured in currently-ongoing LPs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Pretty much, and "Aer" instead of mana.

This time they're not Soylent Game Mechanic, though. There's an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT plot twist about them!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

InwardChaos posted:

I'm gonna enjoy watching this LP. I never actually beat the game myself, but I did get pretty far.

I remember when it first came out people went over to Wikipedia and edited the Zagi page with info about this game's Zagi. In real life, a Zagi is a type of remote controlled glider. People were editing the page with stuff like "NEVER THROW IT OVER THE SIDE OF A BOAT!" (Spoiler'ed since it references future events)

Uuuuuuuuuurghhhgh. :doh:

I'm trying to figure out how to talk about that spoiler without spoiling it. Suffice to say it's the most annoying thing ever. I'll bring it back up when we get there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

If JRPGs have taught me anything, it's that girl's dressers all apparently contain orthopedic underwear.

And sometimes they leave it right out in the open.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

It appears to be the whole point of his fighting style. His normal combo consists of him switching off which hand he's swinging his sword with, and I believe several of his Artes showcase him flipping his sword around as well. I haven't thought about it enough to pay attention, but it kinda makes me wonder if he has a set animation for each Arte, or if he's got two per - depending on which hand his sword was in when he linked into it from a normal combo. (I would guess they're static, but then, some games surprise me with a lack of laziness on minor details like this.)

This is the one problem I have with anything about Yuri-- for the longest time until I finally got used to it, after he finished a combo he'd always get the crap knocked out of him because he was too busy flipping his sword in the air to respond to the Block button. What the hell, Yuri. You're a professional. Stop all this showboating crap. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This is the most incongruous Yuri portrait. Look at those big soft doe eyes.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how Flynn has his own little "adventuring party" parallel to Yuri's, and they're made up of JRPG archetypes too. DLC isn't really in vogue in Japanese games (I believe) but I'd totally buy some focusing on their plotline if it got made somehow.

On the (pre-update) topic of drinking games, my friends and I spiced up our 4-player Symphonia playthrough by drinking every time somebody said "inferior beings." That was fun.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

How fun? Did you forget your name? The location of the ground? How to forget?

Whoa whoa whoa, we weren't taking a SHOT every time the line came up -- that'd be both likely fatal and prohibitively expensive! A healthy swig of beer every time kept drunkenness levels just high enough to make us actually look forward to doing the Desian bases.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Namco's idea of DLC seems to be "content that you can actually acquire in-game anyway" (such as extra Gald and Items) and "costumes for the main characters", of which there's a ton of for Vesperia on the Japanese PSN. It's also ridiculously overpriced, I just checked and assuming I didn't miss any, there are 36 costumes costing 300 Yen each (about $3.80 at current exchange rates, for a total of loving ~$140 for just costumes that don't actually add anything content-wise to the game).

More companies really need to approach DLC like Rockstar and BioWare do -- downloadable CONTENT, as in MORE GAME. This whole buying-more-Gald thing makes even less sense in a single-player game than it does in MMOs. Sigh.

Alternate costumes do kind of make sense, if they weren't overcharging. I'd pay $3.80 for a pack of costumes, maybe, but definitely not an individual one, especially considering how many the game already has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress Zagi's secret mission. Trying to get that thing cost me an hour of swearing, which my housemates made fun of me for later since they could apparently hear it across the entire drat house. Something along the lines of "Goddammit Zagi you loving rear end in a top hat, get off the loving boat already! No. NO. ZAGI. OFF THE BOAT. NOW. rear end in a top hat."

• Locked thread