Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Technically he doesn't actually smoke it, but he's still awesome and one of my favorite party members.

Also this is a good game and worth having an Xbox for. Not getting the PS3 version localized really is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

wdarkk posted:

So far Estelle has said "sorry" zero times while Yuri has said it twice.

She'll catch up. That being said, she's leagues better than Collette.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Polsy posted:

Well, it's more strange that Estelle gives that answer, he's not really asking about Kaufman as much as he is about guilds.

Does something prevent you from skipping the town and just going straight to the forest? Seems like it'd have to, but I'm curious as to what the excuse is.

also yeah, I'm interested in dungeon videos as long as there's enough going on other than just walking from A to B and fighting whatever gets in the way.

I also found it odd that Yuri seems to have so many questions about the world which seem like common knowledge. Though really he just sounded like he never had much interaction with them rather than not knowing what they are. As for why Estelle knows, I'm pretty sure most of her time in the castle was spent reading books. She can recite textbook definitions of things or stories but has no real firsthand knowledge.

As for trying to go to the forest first, I'm pretty sure there's just a short scene about how your destination is Deidon Hold and there's no reason to be there right now and they make you turn around. That's basically what happens anytime you try to go somewhere else before you're supposed to.

Adus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 16, 2011

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

wdarkk posted:

Well, I am a bit dumb.

Anyway Karol reminds me of Lloyd a LOT.

Karol even has a Lloyd outfit in the PS3 version. Though like the comparison of Estelle and Collette, Karol is better than Lloyd. Character-wise at least. Combat-wise he's pretty lame.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Attachments are for vanity items which can be created via synthesis. For example, a pair of glasses for Estelle. They'll show up on the characters everywhere during the game (apart from the anime cutscenes, naturally).

Naturally I get beaten by a minute.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

RentCavalier posted:

So I finally got this game and basically plowed down 7 straight hours playing it today.

loving LOVE it. Which is weird, because I'd basically been all ready to write off the Tales series after Abyss. Abyss was terrible. Everything I loved about Symphonia was gone--the great cutscene direction, the dynamic characters, the heart-wrenching tragedies and really solid humor, the beautiful graphics--all gone.

What alternate reality version of Symphonia did you play?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Lance Streetman posted:

Repede:colbert:

This isn't the PS3 version, so it's not possible.

Stick with Yuri.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Ah yes, that quest. Basically, what you want to do is:
- Open up the World Map (in the main menu), go to Field.
- For each entry except for those you can't land on (stuff like The Inner Ocean), fly to that area so the top right corner of the menu lists exactly that name.
- Land, and use a Mat, Simple Tent, Tent or Barrier. That changes the color on the Dog Map from red or colorless to blue.
- Repeat for every area.

Once you reach about 85% completion (there's no actual number listed, you just have to guess), you can trigger the scene that gives you the reward for that sidequest, but I can't remember off the top of my head where exactly that is.

Note that there's a sidequest at Myorzo that allows your airship to land in more places, such as on ice.

There are a couple of scenes you have to trigger. I think about halfway through you talk to a cat in Danghrest, then at 75%-ish, you go to Aurnion (so late game) and the other dog should appear somewhere in the left area. Finally at 90ish percent, you go back to Zaphias to the first save point near Yuri's place.

This could be a bit off but I know these things happen at certain intervals.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I dunno how I feel about it because part of me still hopes to play it sometime and I'd rather not just see all the new content for the first time in screenshots.

But I dunno. I guess ultimately it's not something I'll lose sleep over.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

nogic posted:

Nice work so far OP! I'm a huge fan of this game, so I'm eager to see the PS3 content that I'll probably never get to play :(

It always bugged me here how Rita uses the term "dragon freak" when referring to the dragon rider. It just sounds way too dorky and lame... maybe not entirely out of character for Rita, but still. It really feels like an odd bit of translation.

Do you happen to know what she says in the original dialogue? I'm sort of curious if she actually says that, or it's just translated that way.

I always felt this way too. For how much the dragon rider pisses her off, "Dragon Freak" is a very weak insult. I guess she's still a kid, though, despite how hard she tries to act mature.

So far Patty seems like a very awkward addition to the party, and I'm not too into her. Never terribly fond of kid characters in general. Karol surprised me by ending up to be a pretty well-developed character though, so maybe she will too. Unfortunately she can't exactly impact the story by being a late addition, so I'm not sure how she'll accomplish anything of note.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I've never heard anyone talk like that...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
What? No they don't... They clearly pronounce the "er" part.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Nondevor posted:

Fatal Strikes seem like a fun mechanic to use. Though it seems like Admiral Curtiss had a little trouble activating it in the dungeon video.

They're difficult to pull off in normal battles because typically the enemies die before you get the symbol. It's really something you use more on bosses.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
AnotherGamer is right. FS chains are the main source of grade for farming.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

SpazmasterX posted:

The answer is: -----Sun.-----

You'd be surprised how hard it was for some people to figure this out.

Yeah I remember people saying things like they thought they had to change the letters to numbers, or other crazy stuff. I can't imagine seeing those three words then immediately going to such an abstract method to solve it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Some Numbers posted:

The issue there is that if you play on Easy, you don't get any Grade at all.

However, having double Grade would make Grade farming twice as fast. You could also unlock Unknown, since higher difficulty adds an extra Grade multiplier.

Yes but no one should play on Easy. The game is already simple enough on Normal.

Psion posted:

I probably will, actually - if I want to 1000 this game, I have to do a playthrough in under 15 hours and then another playthrough where I get to a future boss under level 15, so I could just use 2x grade on my 15 hour speed run.

I'm only missing a few entries in the monster encyclopedia and synthesis, so I could probably knock those out on the 15-hour run.

Hmmm, I like this idea. More time playing a game I like, less time spamming the artes button.

Do the low level playthrough and speed playthrough at the same time. Want to know the trick?

Grade farm so you can take as many bonuses as possible. Then take the Battle Techniques experience modifier. You can then plow through all fights up until Barbos with ease because of your equipment and skills, but as long as you finish the fights with low combos you'll get really low experience, saving you from leveling up but keeping the game moving at a quick pace.

After Barbos (which is the only point you have to beat under level 15 to get the achievement), you're not far from the Weasand Of Cados which is where the first Giganto is. Fight it and use this strategy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_M4XvSKhk

The bonus exp from all the hits will jump you up from like level 9 to 70 something, and you'll be set for the rest of the game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Different?

Anyway the video isn't for farming grade, it's for experience with a specific bonus bought from the newgame+ grade shop.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Not in the way you're probably thinking.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
If you already answered this already I apologize, but how are you doing both the PS3 and 360 content? I mean, I know you're part of the fan translation team, but are you playing two games at once or something?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Shining Fang may be Yuri's best arte if you're concerned about combo generation, considering it hits like 5 times and can be spammed during overlimit due to it being a base arte.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I suppose I should have been more clear, that it's a spammable arte that isn't expensive as poo poo, like most arcane artes.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's even more ridiculous in the PS3 release where they gave him a new animation for that:

Hahaha, this is amazing. Such a shame it's not in the 360 version.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I can only think of one important plot weapon and it's not a katana.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah, Yuri sees Ragou's death as a punishment, not as some attempt to change things. The guy was responsible for horrible stuff and his official reprimand was a mere demotion. It's vigilantism, and the fact that Yuri could be considered just as wrong as Ragou is part of why I like this aspect of his character. All good characters have flaws and we haven't seen many from Yuri yet. I'm sure he's not naive enough to think that it'll make everything better, but I'm sure he genuinely believes the world is better off without Ragou.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I agree. Honestly her exclusion almost makes the 360 version seem better. Maybe that sounds extreme but one of the great things about Vesperia is how all the characters are pretty likable and important in their own way and Patty isn't really either of those things.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

A jargogle posted:

I assumed that was actually a fairly amusing, whimsical quest... am I becoming numb to this sort of thing (Why yes I am reading the xenogears LP why did you ask)

It's probably the most annoying quest in the game, especially if you decide to start it near the end, as it just consists of you running around the entire map camping a hundred times.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Neither.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
The more I see of Patty the more I think the 360 version is the way to play the game. There are definitely some cool additions to the PS3 version, but I don't think they make up for the annoying extra character shoehorned in.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah add me to the list of people who didn't notice it until it was revealed either. It's definitely a :doh: moment.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Something about Repede randomly liking Patty bothers me. Rita and Karol are kids but he didn't show any specific affection for them.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
While I don't know if her age is specifically mentioned in the game, I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be like 15 or something. So says the Tales wiki, at least.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I always kinda felt the reactions to finding out Yuri's dark murderin' were a bit subdued, but ultimately I'm glad they deal with it the way they do. Very few JRPG protagonists would do this sort of thing and whether or not you agree with Yuri, the fact that he follows this path makes him a much more interesting character than most.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Glazius posted:

So Estelle can berserk Entelexia? Is that what that cutscene means?

You'd think someone would have mentioned that to her long before.

Like who?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
No, only the PS3 version was localized. I didn't know it was out already. I haven't heard much about it, but what I have seemed pretty lukewarm. I'm kind of itching for a new Tales game though. I have Abyss to play still, but I don't have a PS2 anymore so I'm not sure if I'm really willing to buy an entire new PS2 just for it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Rita posted:

If they're looking for apatheia, maybe they want the dragon she was riding. If he's an Entelexeia, he might become an apatheia like Belius.

I wanted to point out that I like this line of dialogue because it's rare for RPG characters to put two and two together that quickly, or ever. Like in almost any other game they'd have to be told Judith's dragon was an Entelexeia and after that they would act like it was shocking news. Here, Rita just sort of figures it out and makes a reasonable conclusion to why these guys would want to go after Judith.

Not confirming that this is right or wrong. Even if it's wrong it's at least a smart guess.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
It's a shame too, because all the other changes sound pretty cool. Too bad you can't like, disable Patty or something. Well at least it makes me feel like I didn't miss much playing on 360.

I just ordered Graces F. It's odd how we don't get the PS3 version of Vesperia, but the PS3 version of Graces is the only one we get. I really know nothing about it so let's hope the battle system is still fun at least.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
My copy of Graces F came last week but I still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I like what I hear so far in regards to the battle system.

Brunom1 posted:

Jesus Christ, I hate that Secret Mission.

I've played this game so many times in both versions and I think only twice did I have the patience/luck to get it.

I think this is the spot where the game starts to throw some really obnoxious Secret Missions at you.

Yeah, I think it was the one I had the hardest time getting by far. It's made worse by having to wait for the cutscene before it to end each time. That slow zoom onto Judith as she goes "..." is burned in my brain forever.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah my problem isn't so much the hypocrisy but rather the fact that it's never really addressed. There could be a pretty interesting scene where someone calls Yuri out. Yuri, being who he is, would more than likely admit to the flaws in his argument, but he'd probably also defend it by pointing out the differences between Estelle and Cumore/Ragou's actions.

Yuri hates it when innocent people are hurt by the evil and corrupt. Estelle is hurting people through ignorance.

Actually putting it that way doesn't make it sound a whole lot better...

It's an interesting dilemma.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Yeah the fact that he literally comes back like 5 minutes later definitely ruins whatever emotional impact his sacrifice scene had. I wasn't too pleased with how the whole thing was handled when I first played it, despite the fact that I liked Raven and didn't want him to be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
She is annoying, and she has tunnel vision regarding Yuri. Focusing on how much she hates him even when there are more important things at stake.

• Locked thread