Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

El Belmondo posted:

I wanted to play this game until I realized that the PS3 version was Japan-only. :arghfist::(

Don't stop believing. We may get it one day! Yeah, who am I kidding, this is Namco-Bandai we're talking about here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And yes, Liam O'Brian's in it.

In fact, you've already met the character he voices! He voices Cumore, for reference.

Endorph posted:

I seriously don't get why I don't enjoy playing as Karol, considering Presea was my go-to in ToS.

It might have something to do with his arte selection, which is admittedly a little wonky compared to his archetype's standard. Otherwise he controls much the same as Presea, so I couldn't tell you why that's the case.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ApeHawk posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. It's one thing to repeat something stupid that someone said, but to use that voice with it... really shows just how Yuri sees Karol.

And it sails right over Karol's head too, because he's so dumbstruck that someone's actually listening to his plan.

EDIT: Actually, FighterKnuckles, that video starts on a part we haven't seen yet. I think you jumped the gun a bit.

Materant fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 19, 2011

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure those guys are after Yuri. Wouldn't they stop and give up at some point?

Note that Zagi was with that group, and we've already seen exactly how single-minded he is. I doubt he'd have much of an issue manhunting Yuri across the continent if it came to it, orders or not.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You forgot the Item Encyclopedia and a rather... special... conversation upstairs in Rita's house, that, as far as I know, you can only get before going to the Shaikos Ruins.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Elite posted:

Does Estelle have some kind of eidetic memory or does she just like reciting the
encyclopaedia for fun?

I get that she's book smart and that reading was her window to the world at large, but I think I'd buy it a bit more if some things she only vaguely remembered instead of always having perfect clarity. Granted "I think I heard about this, but I'm not totally sure" doesn't lend itself to the most meaningful conversations but you get get my point.

It peters out after a while. It does rear back up once in a while, but it mostly goes away once the game's done introducing the world at large.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Solice Kirsk posted:

That synthesis also makes getting a completed item book impossible in a single play through.

So what does Patty do in all of these cutscenes? Is she just kinda hanging around in the back ground or does she get little lines every now and then?

She left the party back when we got out of Ragou's Dungeon for Little Kids.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Senerio posted:

You think the battle is hard as is? Try it without items. :suicide:

Have fun on Unknown Mode. My run of it (almost to the end of the second phase of the game) has been almost nothing but pain, and this battle was kind enough to give me my first Game Over on the run.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Solaris Knight posted:

Chrono Cross did the same thing with Solt and Peppor, who these two really remind me of.

I think the team may have used Chrono Cross as a inspiration for the Tweedles.

In fact, I believe it's the exact same concept, just with a few tweaks.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

wiegieman posted:

Also I wonder when the game will take away Alexei's Reasonable Authority Figure status. With that hair you just know he's gonna go evil.

I'd think being voiced by D.C. Douglas would be a bigger warning sign. But really, who knows at this point?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Something's a bit off with this update...

Flynn hasn't become a captain yet. There is no Flynn Brigade. Are you meant to talk with this guy on the return trip to Heliord, or is this a writer snafu?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ah, so that's what they're saying for the Don battle. I've always wondered about that.

Cannot wait for the patch to be finished. I'm saving up money to import the PS3 version from Play-Asia.

In other news, I finished my Unknown run on the 360 version a couple weeks ago, and it annoys me how much they cut from it for reasons unknown.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Time constraints, probably, like with most games. Although I'm sure a couple of the new things were invented for the PS3 version and not originally planned.

Oh, I can tell you at least one thing that ain't possibly a "time constraint", because it's programmed in in some fashion.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Level Slide posted:

I hope this wasn't a fluke on Bamco's end and something like this happens again in Graces and Xillia.

I dunno, from what little I can understand of Graces, it seems like a bit of a regression, character-wise. Not that the characters are the big draw for me regarding that game, though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

BlitzBlast posted:

Oho, you got Combination. IIRC, it boosts the power of the next attack immediately after the final hit of the stated command. Combination 1 only multiplies damage by 2.5, but Combination 2 multiplies by 4, and Combination 3 by 10. They're pretty nifty, but due to the fact they only boost the next hit (Someone confirm?) they're not that useful.

But in the PS3 version... holy poo poo.

No, I'm pretty sure they boost the attack at the end of the chain. So with that in mind, Combination 3 is pretty drat powerful since it ends in a Mystic Arte, but tricky to pull off if you're not used to Arte chaining.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

rubythunder posted:

Well he does have a mechanical eye it seems. What does it say on the trophy/stamp there?

wdarkk posted:

I think "Vesperia".

Yeah, that's what it says. The trophy number is also "51", as though you really needed to be told. What's odd, though, is that there are only 50 achievements in the 360 version, according to GameFAQs. I'm gonna boot up my 360 and take a look.

EDIT: Yeah, it's only 50. Did the PS3 version add a few?

Materant fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 29, 2011

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Y'know what, Karol? I get the feeling that you're very bad at naming schemes.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I'd never seen Karol's scenes before now. Now I'm wondering why I never bothered. That was amusing as hell.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Madrick11 posted:

The Knight costumes are a whole other sidequest entirely. One that can be missed very easily.

Just like 75% of the sidequests in this game. It still bugs the crap out of me, and I've beaten the game upwards of a dozen times.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Brunom1 posted:

I found a guide that shows every single side quest on the game and points you to it as soon as it's available:

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10347292825.html < Part 1 and 2

http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10343547508.html#main < Part 3

There are, obviously, spoilers in those. Still, if you follow them as you go along, you can get every single one complete.

I know the guides exist. I've even followed them on more than one occasion. It still bugs the crap out of me how the more recent Tales games require you to do baffling things (such as literally defying what the story says you're supposed to be doing) at the strangest and most strict times for your sidequests.

I know the game inside and out by now, and I still routinely miss a third of the sidequests each run because I can never remember to do inane thing x at y place and z time without having a memo pasted on my forehead.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Looking at your screenshot of the map prior to obtaining the Little Wolf's fur, no, you can't see his territory before you get a hold of his fur.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I thought that too at first but I checked after getting that item and it doesn't look any different:

I think I just haven't uncovered any area that Little Wolf starts with yet.

Normally I would say to continue on a different save without the fur, but damned if it doesn't take a long time before you start uncovering large swathes of the map.

I'd check myself, but (I'm pretty sure) the fur is one of the items that carries over in New Game+, so...

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Senerio posted:

More reinforcement that Flynn is the Generic Tales Hero of the game:
In this battle, he uses all the moves that most Tales Heroes get.
Demon Fang, Beast... I forget the rest off the top of my head, but still...

Demon Fang, Sword Rain, Sonic Thrust (maybe? It's been a long time), Tiger Blade, I believe Tempest? I think his moveset was designed in such a way to reinforce the fact that if this were any other Tales game, he'd be the lead, and not Yuri.

I think we can all be pleased we got Yuri.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

How do you set up an entire guild to be a long con? That takes dedication.

It's easier to imagine when you consider that probably not every single person was in on it. There were probably under-the-table deals, smuggling, etc. without most of the lower-ranked people knowing.

The best way to run a con is to make it appear legitimate, after all.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Oh, and because I'm sure someone notices and is going to want a bigger version of Repede here:

Hell yeah.

Jeez, that's avatar-worthy.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Zebrin posted:

My big problem is that in a game where people are pretty drat smart, you have a backwards name thing go on. How does no one notice this poo poo... I saw it the first time through before the reveal and seriously thought that Yuri or Rita were gonna call him out on it, or at least have Judith make some sideways comment about it... It gave me a bit of a headache, and really irritated me. It should be no surprise that I consider this part of the games writing to be the worst of it. Which is to say, slightly above average rather then really good. Oh well.

Always helps to remember that the characters can't see the words spoken like we can, they can only hear them. And if you're only hearing the name, you more than likely won't make the connection.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You know, is there any particular reason they didn't just smash the Schwann Brigade aside instead of making Raven do... whatever he just did? It's not like they'd even really qualify as a speed bump at this point.

F. EDIT: Oh, right, the soldiers hot on their heels. Right.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Wild Knight posted:

Basically, what we can all agree on is that the lecherous sharpshooter and the little kid with a giant freaking hammer are better healers than the actual dedicated healer, am I right?

:geno:

Well, we can agree on the fact that Estelle's AI particularly is crap. But if you're relying on the AI to know when you need a heal most, that's a bad situation. Otherwise, Estelle has the most powerful heals of the game, but they're interruptable. She's also the only character with a ressurection arte, which is naturally quite worth keeping her in the party, at least during your first playthrough. On your second, you'll have the inventory space and the Gald to effectively never run out of Life Bottles, so you can afford to be quite more lenient on that front. (I can't remember, has this arte come up yet, Curtiss?)

Just... make sure to bind her healing spells (Resurrection in particular) to shortcut keys and you should be just fine.

EDIT: Removed spoiler tags on account of it no longer being a spoiler

Materant fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 23, 2012

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Oh, best part about the Nan and Tison battle: if Tison drops before Nan, Nan can revive him. Can't remember if she needs to go into Over Limit to do that, though. All I remember is that she can.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I dunno, he looks like a cock to me.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

waitress minigame

If there's one thing I could burn off of this game, it'd be that damned mini-game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Rita and Judith, what about you?
Someone who's not like the old man.
That sounds about right.
Yeah, I'll go with that, too.
You kids just don't understand the beauty of the middle-aged man! Someday, someday...

Oh, Yuri. Never change. :allears:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

You were going to tell me all about your romantic dream, weren't you?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So who wants to talk about Azure Edge and how useful it is? Anyone?

Sorry, I've got nothing.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Dammit, Raven.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

When did we first hear about Captain Schwann?

We first heard about Schwann at the very beginning of the game from Adecor and Boccos, the incompetent tutorial knights, but the first time we actually saw him was at Caer Bocram. It's the only time you get to see him before you fight him.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Dammit, Raven.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Fedule posted:

What? No one is gonna comment on the Raven Punching Party? That poo poo is hilarious, and also cathartic, and also a bit sad (Karol). It's amazing.

Well of course it's hilarious, it's just that it speaks for itself.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

That was great, do Patty and Flynn get a punch in the PS3 version?

Flynn doesn't, Curtiss showed that off. I dunno about Patty though, that interests me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I think I'm going to bypass most analysis for Heracles and just say: gently caress this dungeon. Why must everything in this drat machine look the same?

• Locked thread