Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Um… Was there a sudden outbreak of monsterism after the humans got all their cities built and the technology to make barriers?

Because otherwise, I don’t see how human civilization reaches the point of being able to make cities if the monster problem is bad enough that people stay locked in cities, and towns that lose their barrier get instantly overrun and slaughtered.

I don’t mind long-haired purple guy, but I really don’t like the pink hair. It’s an ugly shade. I’m ambivalent on Estelle character wise. But changing the name from Estellise to Estelle is a good change.

Is “Blastia” the new “Exsphere”? (As in “All the party members have Exspheres Blastias, so that’s why they can fight.”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lance Streetman posted:

See: Phantasy Star 2. Living a sheltered life makes you complacent, easier to kill.

I'm questioning how they even got to the point of having a sheltered life.

I know that basically all RPGs ever have monsters roaming the countryside, but it's somewhat rare see a world which is so dangerous that the entire population needs to hide inside bubbles at all times or else they'll get wiped out. Is human really THAT delicious?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... it didn't seem all that dangerous outside. I guess that it probably wasn't all that dangerous back when the shields first went up, but over the centuries, people stayed inside more and more and got more and more frightened of the monsters outside.

I'm still not sure where they get the food to feed all those people in the cities, or what the nobles lord over. Normal nobles are rich from owning land, but how much land can they really own inside the barriers?

Estelle getting excited about her new nickname moves me towards liking her more. Who are the voice actors for Yuri and Estelle?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yuri is Troy Baker, and Estelle is Danielle Judovits apparently.

It's hard for me to be sure if I know a voice actor from somewhere or not. I might know these ones as Kanji and Chie from Persona 4.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Elite posted:

I understand the drive to be a big drat hero, but for a doll Yuri? Seriously? The correct response was "gently caress your stupid doll, kid".

Yeah, there's a difference between being a hero and being an idiot, even if most JRPG's think they're the same thing. He just lost some coolness points for that dumb stunt.

I have known Karol for about 5 seconds and already I hope he gets eaten by the end up the update.

Nah, it's just your imagination.

:crossarms: Hmmm...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lance Streetman posted:

Oh god, I love the way Yuri says "Prepare to die, Eggbear!"

That line made the update.

Karol has earned a bit of respect for knowing why the tree is withered.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
What is that indicator over Repede in battle which says "X Gel"? Is he offering one to Yuri, or requesting one for himself?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So after all the work, Karol's plan turned out to be useless? Figures.

I'm not sure those guys are after Yuri. Wouldn't they stop and give up at some point?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

I can already tell I like Rita.

I agree.

I also find Karol less annoying, since he has some useful skills/knowledge.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That portrait of Rita on her character status screen is kinda adorable. (As is Estelle's)

What does "Attachment = None" mean? Is that something to do with combo attacks?

It's somewhat refreshing to see the sheltered princess as "the smart one". I mean she probably isn't as smart as Rita, but at least she knows things too.

Does Yuri toss his sword from one hand to another mid-battle?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
"Blastia have hearts too!"

So they're sentient or something? They really are the new "Exspheres."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

RentCavalier posted:

You should cycle through the characters based off of who the plot if currently focusing on. Yuri will be your standby.

This sounds right.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Who are the dark men chasing Yuri? And why do the Knights decide to stop them?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Skit: The Value of a Barrier Blastia
That was a pretty big commotion over breaking a single barrier blastia.
I dunno, it seemed like the commotion Rita caused was even bigger.
Stop bringing up trivial details!
Of course people would be upset. It was a barrier blastia. Blastia are intertwined with almost every aspect of people's daily lives.
Good point. Things got really crazy back in the lower quarter when the aque blastia broke.
I hope they can fix it soon.
Yeah. I mean, that's what we're going through all this for.

This scene is funnier if you watch the video. Karol's portrait suddenly starts backing away, and Rita's slowly starts approaching him, then Karol's portrait takes off and Rita's chases him. Nice touch there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
What a refreshing way to handle the chase for the guy they were chasing all over. They sensibly left a note in the first town in case they missed him, Flynn got the note and left one of his own saying to meet him in the next town, and then, they actually met in the next town! Presto!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Estelle actually defeated one of those mercenaries all by herself in that cutscene. That was surprisingly badass.

Not a fan of Patty.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Estelle must be another one of the potential heirs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If you have Karol in your party before the boss fight, does he participate in the fight, or does he run away before no matter what? It would make more sense if he just ran away before.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Wait wait wait. We just threw down with a giant loving dragon and two guys with pikes are suddenly a threat?

I took that as Yuri's way of thanking the city cops for saving him from the tougher jerks who wanted to outright kill him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Estelle can be quite the smooth operator at times. I did think that the Commandant would put up a bigger fuss, though.

So Estelle can use magic without the blastia. I guess the one she wears must be a fake and Rita noticed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It's funny that I knew what those skits would be about from the first couple of lines. Good characterization.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh good. I'd almost forgotten about this LP.

I'm glad they revealed that the barrier was sabotaged, because I was starting to wonder about all those coincidences as well. It was pleasant to see the characters also recognize how suspicious it was.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

A-are you kidding...?
It'll be much easier to do things to him if we keep him nearby.
Whaddya mean "things...?"
...Hadn't thought about that.
Okay, I just got a little chill up my spine.

This is great.

I burst out laughing when Yuri dropped Patty on purpose, then walked away.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That was really clever. Well done, game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

vdate posted:

I gotta agree with the other posters- this is why Yuri is the best. Not many characters in JRPGs can just be playful like he can. Judith being willing to play along cements her as welcome in the party with me. (Why the lack of playful behaviour in JRPGs, though? The previous character I can remember actually engaging in it is Zelos from ToS, and how playful it was there is open to interpretation.)

Yeah, that back-and-forth banter about her outfit was great.

I'm also glad that they - plausibly - explained why they left the heavy yet useful armour behind.

I didn't know this world had elves. But maybe I wasn't paying attention before.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... I have no idea where the story will go from here, which is interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The hat hiding his eyes works really well when he decides to go all vigilante. And that was awesome.

Sadly, I suspect that Ragou is not really dead. I'd like to think he was dead, but he fell into the water, which means he'll be back later. We still need to figure out what Dein Nomos means, too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

Any chance we can get a video of that scene?

:confused: You mean, this video?

Thanks for letting us know that was a real death, Zebrin, I'm glad. It would have cheapened the scene if it hadn't been real. Yuri is definitely the best JRPG protagonist I've ever seen. I'm actually giving some thought to buying this game now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Once the body is found I'm sure there will be more comments. I also found Estelle's reasoning a bit flimsy at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thank you Estelle, for saving the guild from Karol's horrible name.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't remember the Dragon Rider attacking Estelle in Heliord, and I don't remember that Cumore guy. I guess I have to go back and re-read some stuff. Some of the names and places aren't ringing any bells.

Was Cumore the one who tried to kill Yuri just after Karol ran away from the monster, but he was foiled by the other guys arresting Yuri?

Uh... I know the idea was to make a sexy outfit, but that costume of Estelle's was more than I was expecting.

Judith's rabbity thing was also strange.

Thank goodness the game didn't try to have Karol seduce the guard.

Hmph! I can seduce people just fine!

Estelle, I'm not sure you've even had "the talk", yet.

EDIT: Hmmm... so the reason why Judith and the other monster are interested in Estelle must be because she can use magic without a blastia. They never really got into that much, but I guess that's because it'll be explained later.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 15, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cumore really needs a sense of fashion. That getup looks terrible. Is that man-cleavage he's sporting? (Funny, his VA also did the voice for another villain with man-cleavage in Altlier Iris 2.)

I think there's more to that German guy than meets the eye.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Take Rita and Karol, Rita and Karol!

And those weren't Mermen, they were sharks with legs. Boring!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Did Yuri cut off Zagi's hand or something earlier? I'm not sure what he was going on about.

If the case was interfering with Rita's magic, why didn't she notice earlier?

And more importantly, why the hell was Estelle holding it in the middle of a fight with monsters?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just can't keep this game's place names straight. What was Kiev Moc again?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
At least the game acknowledged how tiring it would be to explore the desert, even if it didn't make them wear sensible clothing. And the search for the missing people explained why they didn't travel at night. All the complaining did seem to get repetitive. I guess collapsing from exhaustion after a boss fight is reasonable enough.

I liked that Rita killed the thing with her very last bit of mana.

Also, Patty can eat a bowl of angry bees. Just because.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As soon as Yuefan asked about Longchi, I began to suspect time-travel... but Duke's words - "everlasting calm" - suggest something different - maybe this place is locked in time - people don't age, don't leave, and don't notice.

So much of what Duke said is confusing for the moment, but it seems like the main plot is just starting.

That power that Estelle has, though... Yuri noticed that she can use magic without a Blastia. That must be the ability that the whatever-critters don't like.

Ummm... If you're going there, could you take the clear ciel crystal to the sage for me?
I have a busy day of standing here doing dick-all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Did I miss something? Why are they just giving up looking for Phaero-whatever? Just because the last miniboss had a single feather? Or is it only NOW do they realize, "hey, this strange monster-thing which called Estelle a poison might not be friendly"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That really was a great scene.

The nitpicker in me is wondering where the constant sandfall came from, though.

I wonder if I've heard Sodia's voice actress in something before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Niton posted:

Sodia's VA is Kate Higgins, who you might also know as Tails from the modern Sonic games, Sakura from Naruto and Karin Kurosaki from Bleach.

I thought so, although that's not where I heard her from.

Nondevor posted:

It's a quicksand pit, isn't it?

Quicksand is a pit of water and sand, not exactly desert material.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 6, 2012

• Locked thread