Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Used yours, mine is below.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/22eebb2eaaffd6c46858146e8923c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I used this referral code but I don't know if it took. I'm guessing not; since it's only 29 characters and it's probably a GUID based on the one I generated yours is probably too short to be valid.

Regardless, let's throw another one in.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/bcc604ab64ee07ff09ba4bf350bd20d8

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 11, 2015

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I used this referral code but I don't know if it took. I'm guessing not; since it's only 29 characters and it's probably a GUID based on the one I generated yours is probably too short to be valid.

Regardless, let's throw another one in.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/bcc604ab64ee07ff09ba4bf350bd20d8

Been meaning to do this for awhile thanks, and here's another.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/2595ed382016ffdf99ed852094595615

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

BrianPhillips posted:

Been meaning to do this for awhile thanks, and here's another.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/2595ed382016ffdf99ed852094595615

Used yours to setup spideroak backup for my friend.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/113619f66a963a55ff0a9165c3c3d148

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I'm giving it a try.

Used xilni's refferal.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/70267362982df715c80847494d054f31

Norithiel
Aug 4, 2006

8U

Used Doctor Bombadil's link. Will edit mine in shortly.

Edit:
https://spideroak.com/download/referral/a4e05e8835ef964c68c189678c4fc9be

Norithiel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 18, 2015

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

Norithiel posted:

Used Doctor Bombadil's link. Will edit mine in shortly.

Edit:
https://spideroak.com/download/referral/a4e05e8835ef964c68c189678c4fc9be

Used your link, thanks a lot. Here's mine:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/cd927fa4710615793e26b3b77fa80714

Promo Code "freedom4" is still working.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

gipskrampf posted:

Used your link, thanks a lot. Here's mine:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/cd927fa4710615793e26b3b77fa80714

Promo Code "freedom4" is still working.

Used your link, here's mine.

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/c9720a3db17b356cac2e7e715a5abc64

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Does anyone else find the lack of two factor authentication options on SpiderOak to be a bit weird? The only way you can use it is via SMS and only if you're a US/Canadian customer.

I emailed them about google authenticator & yubikey, pointing out that on the page where you enable two factor authentication they link to a blog post from 2011 - and they replied saying that they're still auditing the options.

4 years to audit two factor authentication methods sounds like bullshit to me, especially when all their competitors have it available.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've ditched SpiderOak. The interface is too unintuitive, two-factor authentication is broken, and win_dir_watcher.exe or whatever is constantly blocking flashdrive ejection.

Microsoft OneDrive is much better, so far.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Apparently there's no way to disable versioning, conveniently filling up your quota with an option you might not need/want. All I found is purging older versions via commandline.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It appears that the referral links are broken, and I have no idea for how long, or when they'll work again.

I emailed the support@ address like the page suggested, but all I got back so far was an auto reply telling me they'll be looking up my (non-existent) account so they can support me, and here's your query reference number.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why does anyone use this now that we have BoxCryptor and 1TB OneDrive accounts? BC even has a Windows Phone client.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting for something I can mirror my Time Machine backups to off-site, and had just cancelled my subscription and deleted my account at CrashPlan.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'd probably do that too if not for the fact my backups would exceed 1TB and BoxCryptor's scheduling might be an issue. My ISP says uploading doesn't count against my cap so right now it's just down to space.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My backups had just about reached 1.5TB, nearly filling the Time Capsule I'm sharing with my dad's iMac.

Then I used the nuclear option of system reparation, whereby I didn't want to infect the system folders with anything from the Time Machine backup. So I formatted, installed, didn't migrate anything from the wizard, and then used rsync to migrate just my home directory.

Then Time Machine kicked in and started backing up everything fresh, not deduplicating anything at all. And then it went about trying to free up space, and by free up space, I mean it found that just about every backup image up to the last one was using the entire space. It sat there doing the transfer ever so slowly.

Then I decided to mount Skype's last .dmg so I could install that again, and the Finder window just sat there showing the custom background, but no icons. Then I manually cp -a'd the bundle to /Applications from Terminal, and Spotlight still couldn't see it and insisted on running the Skype.app that pointed to Parallels for the stupid "let's run your VM's apps from the host OS" thing I always forget to disable, which got restored with the backup. Parallels wasn't installed, so it didn't do anything useful.

Then Finder locked up trying to eject the Skype .dmg, and the whole system became unresponsive, and refused to reboot safely, so I gave it the 4 seconds of power button salute.

Upon rebooting, the Time Machine volume had become corrupted, so it had to start all over again. Well, that sure is a way to recover backup space.

Now it's down to ~230GB, or the approximate size of my home directory.

I'd gladly pay for the online space to store cascading deduplicating backups of my Time Machine, in the event that I lose absolutely everything on site. Would a WD My Cloud NAS be able to do something like that in place of a Time Capsule? Since the My Cloud will actually be running a more thorough storage oriented OS. (I've got a 4TB unit coming by post soon enough, from the HDHomeRun DVR KickStarter.)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Shumagorath posted:

Why does anyone use this now that we have BoxCryptor and 1TB OneDrive accounts? BC even has a Windows Phone client.

I didn't know about BoxCyptor, simply put. Looks good, will dl.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Vaguely interesting, but I'm not sure I see much use for it. Most of the content I stash on cloud storage is meant to be freely accessible to the world. The little that isn't, works directly from applications which log into Dropbox themselves, or log into iCloud through the OS.

My backups currently live on an Airport Time Capsule, which itself lacks the OS capacity to toss its contents freely onto a cloud storage system.

I have a WD My Cloud 4TB on the way, and that allegedly supports Time Machine backups, and may well support syncing them to the butt, but I doubt it.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

Microsoft OneDrive is much better, so far.

Because I am tied to an old OS X system I can only use the web interface for uploading to OneDrive which is wonky as heck, especially pushing up 70gbs of files. And I heard once OneDrive went to unlimited for some and 1TB for Office365 people that everything was too slow even with the client, but that may just have been growing pains at the expansion.

One thing I will say for OneDrive is that having customers watch videos hosted on OneDrive seems to work really well, as does the fact that they have a built in link shortener in the interface. DropBox only has the 1TB option with vaguely threatening "too much bandwidth will get you banned" language. SpiderOak cannot host video. And Google Drive makes people log in their Google accounts for video links.

Is the client for OneDrive good now?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I checked and only have 15 GB on OneDrive.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

I checked and only have 15 GB on OneDrive.

Bumping this two month old post to report that I discovered the reason for this 1TB madness. It comes free when you are an Office365 subscriber.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, I'm in a situation where my parent organization is looking at a uniform cloud storage / sharing system. Right now, Dropbox is the frontrunner. For multitudinous reasons that are going to be difficult to lay out before management, it would be amazing if we went with a no-knowledge cloud like SpiderOak instead.

If it turns out that Dropbox scrapes user activity / file metadata for marketing or sold said data for whatever purpose, it could be killed in the crib. Question is this: does any version of Dropbox -- free version / consumer version / Business or otherwise -- collect user-specific information or make any claims on the intellectual property stored? I've read through the publicly-available Dropbox for Business terms; it preserves your ownership of your intellectual property outside (a) court orders / Department of Justice intervention and (b) clear violation of their terms of use. If any part of Dropbox's business model involved the aggregation / sale of user activity or data, however, management would be wary enough to make it an easy pitch. It's disingenuous, yes, but it works.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know if they do or do not engage in that activity, but you can let management know that their privacy policy is basically "yes we can look at your files but you can trust us." That should be a dealbreaker for anyone with the least bit of concern over privacy.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Idk if this has been mentioned yet, but they released a new client and a better webpage detailling how to deal with versioning. Being able to delete 20 iterations of the same file was the thing I was looking for, so I'm satisfied for now.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is there something like DropBox / SpiderOak that will let you sync to your own storage but keep all the keys client side?

I'm basically looking at using a scaleway instance ( https://www.scaleway.com ), where you get a small dedicated ARM server w/ 50GB of attached storage for 3EUR/Month, each additional 50GB is 1 EUR/month, and unmetered bandwidth. I know there's OwnCloud and Pydio but I'm looking for something where everything sent to the server is encrypted beforehand.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good seem less replacement for Dropbox yet that works for Windows and OS X? I never did like spider oak the time I tried it like 3 years ago cause it was ugly and unintuitive.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Is spideroak down for anyone else? How do you access the forums when your desktop client cant connect?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

MeKeV posted:

Is spideroak down for anyone else? How do you access the forums when your desktop client cant connect?

No, works for me. You can try deleting your devices and starting over. Or look up the various CLI commands to fix whatever.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I cant access from my phone or the website either, so I've messaged support. They're never quick though.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Don't know if anyone posted this yet. "exp125" promocode gets you unlimited storage for 125 per year. It expires end of this month. I gave up on spideroak 2 or 3 years ago due to their crappy desktop and Mobile app. But I'll give them another shot for unlimited storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is Google Drive any worse for using Boxcryptor? MS kind of pissed me off with taking away the extra 15GB. I saw the e-mail but at the time, I was considering keeping a O365 account so it wouldn't have mattered. I decided against it and now I'm down to like 5GB vs the double or so I have on GDrive. :sigh:

• Locked thread