Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

:siren:AFTER YOU USE SOMEONE'S REFERRAL LINK, GENERATE YOUR OWN REFERRAL LINK HERE: https://spideroak.com/referral/:siren:

:siren: Promo code WORLDBACKUPDAY may no longer work -- use freedom4 instead for your free 6gb! :siren:

UPDATE: If you are having issues with the client being unresponsive/slow/lovely, read this: https://spideroak.com/faq/questions/547/why_might_spideroak_be_really_slow_when_i_switch_between_tabs_in_the_client_program_on_windows/

I've been using Dropbox since the beginning but I never really cared for or trusted their security. Your files are encrypted/decrypted on their servers which means they have read access to all your plaintext stuff.

Recently, someone has filed an FTC complaint against them for misleading users about the security.

More recently, Dropbox had a "glitch" lasting 4 hours during which time anybody could access your entire account without a password.

That was the final kick in the rear end I needed to switch to SpiderOak.

This is not for Grandma. It's more advanced and takes some setup to get working how you want. The best part though is that the encryption keys are kept on your local machine(s) so SpiderOak staff cannot look at the content of your files at all. There are clients for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and several flavors of Linux.

Like Dropbox, it comes with 2gb for free by default. Also like Dropbox, you get extra free space for referrals, but at a rate of 1gb each. You can pay for more space in increments of 100gb for $10/mo or $100/yr.

Some of us started a referral chain in the Dropbox thread but I think it's best to start a new one for SpiderOak.

BUT WAIT, there's more! Forums poster iluvpr0n mentioned promo code WORLDBACKUPDAY freedom4 which will start you off with 6gb of free space if you sign up under a referral link (you BOTH get an extra gig). If you get one referral and use that promo code before it dies, you will have 7gb of space for free. That's one mean feat to pull on Dropbox. Referral credits come through instantly.

Go read up and see if it's for you. Give it a try and help someone out with a referral link. If you don't like it just forget about it. You do need to install the software and link it to your account for the referral credits to go through.

The first referral link in the chain for this thread is
*redacted*

USE THE LATEST REFERRAL LINK IN THE THREAD. REFRESH BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Wow you guys are fast. Someone needs to make sure to get Kreeblah!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

zorachus posted:

From what I understand, this isn't quite right; the private and public keys are both uploaded to their servers, but the private key is password-protected. That makes more sense (you wouldn't want to permanently lose your data in a reformat by wiping the private key).

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

No I think you're right. I'm fine with managing my own private keys anyways, but for this particular use I'm ok with the details of how it operates.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

kapinga posted:

In short, choose a strong password!

everywhere and always

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

SpiderOak just announced 2-factor authentication. Check it out here: https://spideroak.com/blog/20110620235134-2-factor-authentication-to-your-spideroak-account

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

slovach posted:

Is it me or is the client the shittiest thing in the world.

It literally just freezes for 5-10 seconds every time I click a single thing in back-up at all. The client is so loving unresponsive it's incredible. I just want to make a folder like dropbox and put things in it. :( One of it's processes just sits and eats an entire core and nothing works, it's been scanning DIRT 3 files for like the last 20 minutes.

It works very well and is quite responsive for me. That includes on my N270 (old!) Atom 1.6ghz netbook. I've been very happy with it so far.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

slovach posted:

It's still scanning poo poo and CHUGGING over an hour later. It's just working its way through my entire harddrive for I dunno what loving reason.

Because you pressed a checkbox at the root of your hard drive, that's my guess. It never looked through anything I didn't tell it to.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

pro-tip: don't delete your files and then purge the backups if you want to keep your files.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Underflow posted:

Yeah, that was a stupid thing to do. It wasn't entirely clear (to me) in the online manual. Thought it would only delete older versions like the command says. Had the impression that local operations didn't affect the remote dir. It clearly says it's a backup tool though, so it's my fault for treating it like regular online storage.

Not sure what you're aim is BUT if you want to roll your own or pay a little, Crashplan is excellent. You can set it to NEVER delete old/deleted versions. I also don't recommend relying on any one service or method for backup.

For me, SpiderOak is a way to synchronize and back up all my often-accessed files -- school stuff mainly. I have always-updated copies of every file on all my devices and a nice backup, but then I have other backup methods/services as well (Crashplan is one).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm running it on a Win 7 32bit Intel Atom N270 netbook with a lovely SSD and Microsoft Security Essentials and I haven't had any problems.

Likewise on a Win 7 64bit Core 2 Duo also with MSE and also without problems.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah it's a little ridiculous... dozens of people have complained about it in this thread and I'm sure dozens more had trouble finding it but didn't say anything.

This thread got so huge! It is responsible for roughly 4,500gb of new free accounts at SpiderOak, wow!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

scaevola posted:

You know, it's kinda hard for new people to give you the referral bonus unless you actually post your referral link...

If he doesn't come back with a link, scan through the thread to find one that got skipped over; there are lots of them.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Not trying to break the chain here or anything, but I figure this is the most relevant place to ask. I just installed this program and it seems to be working okay, but the "back up" tab is really, really slow. I can barely even use it, it's so slow. I'm in the advanced view trying to select which folders I want to sync and it takes a good 30-60 seconds for the screen to move each time I do something. To scroll down and select my folder, I click the arrow down on the scroll bar, and it just waits for about 30 seconds before moving. I've tried letting it just sit there and load first, but if I leave it alone for 5 minutes and then start over, it's still just as slow. I have a lot of files on my internal and external hard drives, but nothing so dramatic that could bring this program to it's knees....

Anyone else had this problem or know how to solve it?

Other people have had this problem, but I don't know what to say. I've installed it on 4 computers now and no issues.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Stew Man Chew posted:

I'm an idiot, found it, under Mr Stabby!

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/1921b0d6f06e9ccf5833b69efda63de4

yeah I'm having slow/choppy as hell experiences with the interface. hopefully they bugfix that poo poo.

Check the first line in the OP. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know. I've literally never experienced ANY issues like that with the client, across now five computers (I just installed it for my mom over the holiday week).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

boo_radley posted:

Mine's been pretty immediate -- as soon as I get the email, the space is there.

same here.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

chippy posted:

This thread is boring as hell.

It's a referral chain, not really much discussion. There are several other threads for discussing online backup options. I suggest you try those.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

TWBalls posted:

Under Doniazade

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/2174a106e4220eabb32e353f7ccc1d2e

***edit***
and I'm an idiot and forgot to refresh. There's a few new pages since I first opened this thread. Someone click the guy above me. I accidentally skipped him. Sorry.

Remove your link to make sure

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

grilldos posted:

Spideroak is an awful name.

It really is.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Chow-King posted:

How do these referrals work anyway? Does it daisy chain? So for example, ten people continue to sign up in this thread for accounts after me, will I see ten extra gigs in mine?

No unfortunately not.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Not a fan of sake, but I still signed up under you!

Mine:
https://spideroak.com/download/referral/41172716e868c150d3ade7add5f47ae4

Could the OP put up an explanation on how/where to enter the promo code and get the link? It took a while of digging around to find out how to use the promo code (click "BUY MORE SPACE" in the client) and I actually had to use Google search to find out how to get the referral link.

Am I just dumb? :confused:

It's not just you... it has come up a LOT of times in the thread. I appended the OP... I hope it's clear.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Congratulations on having the 1,337'th post.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

kapalama posted:

Is there a referral thread for SugarSync?

There used to be. Not sure where it is.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

kapinga posted:

So you all know, Spideroak is offering 4 more GB free to all users (new, non-paying, and paying). Something to do with Freedom and the 4th of July.

https://spideroak.com/blog/20120702154408-announcement-get-4-additional-gigs-all-week

It says this only works if you have less than 6gb in your free account. If anyone has more than 6gb and has applied this code successfully, I'd like to hear about it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Didn't see that, thanks. Wow.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The_Maz posted:

Signed up a while back. Here's a referral link!

https://redacted

this is kind of not cool please remove your link.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

QPZIL posted:

I used someone's code ages ago and never used my own. So here's starting another branch:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/753100eab001cec020562e4af6a383b0

Kind of a dick move to cut off demonR6.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MeKeV posted:

I don't know if I be posting SO info in here, or just let the chain run? But from what I can see there isn't a general chat thread, and probably no call for one either.

But still, just spotted this blog post which is quite interesting. https://spideroak.com/blog/20121117103553-html5-mobile-client-open-development-project

They're moving over the mobile app development over to HTML 5, developing it in the open, and are looking for full functionality too.
And then also moving some of the mobile development back to the desktop software.

There's also a brief mention in there suggesting collaboration between accounts is already being worked on. Excellent news.

This is very cool indeed.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Did you use the one above yours?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

The promo code in OP didn't work, but FREEDOM4 works for 6GB

Thank you! I have updated the OP with the new code.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Edited the OP for case.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Thanks, here's mine: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/f45ee6d3fe4ee8228953fd559570b592 Edit: Don't bother, give the credit to the guy/gal above me.

Can somebody tell me how the hell I'm supposed to log in to their website? It keeps telling me "We apologize but you must first complete your account setup using the SpiderOak desktop software so that proper cryptographic keys can be generated..." blah blah blah. I've download, opened, and as far as I can tell "set up" the goddamn app already. Also there was nowhere to put in the promo code mentioned in the OP, but maybe that was out of date.

Edit: After ten minutes of trying in Safari and then posting this, I tried it in Chrome and it logged in fine.
Edit 2: Now that I can log in to the website, I tried going to "Upgrade Plan" and entering the promo code there. That worked.

Edit 3: The SpiderOak software is garbage (on Mac at least), sharing is unintuitive, and I've been sitting here for eight minutes now waiting for an 80 MB file to upload - it's at 63%. 80 MB should take about 10 seconds total. I really must be missing something because this isn't remotely useable.

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Your upload performance is far worse than I would generally see, but expecting to get 64 megabits/sec up is a bit much. Do you even have that much upload bandwidth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know if they do or do not engage in that activity, but you can let management know that their privacy policy is basically "yes we can look at your files but you can trust us." That should be a dealbreaker for anyone with the least bit of concern over privacy.

• Locked thread