Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. Time to start paying attention to this thread again and explaining why everyone else is wrong but me. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LooseChanj posted:

Is this the thread with the blackjack and the hookers?

Actually, forget the thread...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So...is it just me or is this episode not...good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is going to lead to the worst fan art...THE WORST...As indicated by the pervert line.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well the first one was okay in the end. The tired gender jokes and fan service kind dragged it down, but I still didn't hate it or anything. Still a really weak way to kick things off.

The second one was pretty awesome though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

:siren: My opinion :siren:

First one was pretty good, second one was meh. I didn't really have a problem with the gender thing. The writing for Bender's lines seems really lazy for some reason. Just kind of weak overall. I can't put my finger on it. That's pretty much what dragged the entire episode down for me. I just don't like the new season Bender.

So you thought the Bender jokes were lazy but the "Women like shopping, Men won't ask for directions" jokes to be just fine?

I dunno. I don't even disagree that the Bender stuff on it's own was a little stale, but the first episode was like half humor that was stale before television animation even existed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think Bender's jokes were funny in and of themselves but the other hims reactions to the jokes made it work for me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So, I was watching the episodes with a friend, and he said he didn't quite get why the Benders could only replicate themselves once. I said it was because doing ti twice would have meant doing two things. Then I realized what I said and realized how oddly brilliant that was as a plot device.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

And what's the deal with airline food? They give you two choices but they're always out of one!

...By the way we're out of both choices-

Put on four episodes of "The Office"!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That was a pretty good one. It had plenty of laughs. I feel they've done the "Bender doesn't realize how much he means to Fry" thing before (mainly in Fear of an All Bot Planet) and that made it feel a little tedious at times to me, but over all a good episode, just not a great one.

That being said, I think "Saturday will be known as Fryday" is one of my favorite lines of the entire series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man...people are still going on about how much they hate the EyePhone episode? That wasn't even my least favorite of last season, never mind the whole series.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As I said, I don't dislike the Eyephone episode, and I don't dislike the holiday one either. I thought the Cat one was much worse than either of them (though it wasn't unbearable or anything) and I know most people really like it but my least favorite episode of the half season was easily the evolution one, which is also my least favorite episode in general. Hell I though Garden of Eden one, while not bad per se, was worse than the Eyephone one.

Just for the record the best episode of the season so far is still easily the body swap one followed by the Time Travel.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 2, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

To be completely fair, when the Lucy Liu episode first aired in 2000-something I pretty much wrote it off as "topical guest star" trash too, but in time I came to love it because it integrated her so seamlessly.

Plus it didn't hurt that I haven't heard her name once in like ten years since then, so she doesn't seem like such an obvious celebrity insert.

I really doubt I'll feel the same way about any of these "topical" episodes, but maybe they'll grow on me. Who knows.

I still feel that episode is one of the more dated. I mean the main plot involves a Napster reference. I just don't really care for that episode in the general though. And yes, It has a few good lines, but what episode doesn't?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think we can all agree that the Obamacare line is timeless compated to the Kardashian reference in the Bender clone episode. Not only was that a bad, reference that would have been dated a year ago, but it didn't even make any sense. I mean with Obamacare line at least there was a vague joke there (that Obamacare is somehow miraculous, when no matter how you fall politically, I think it can be agreed that it is not). It worked in the ironic sense. On the other hand the Kardashian reference was just senseless and confusing. I liked that episode but that line was inexcusable. It was pointlessly topical.

Topical jokes on Futurama are kind o bad in the first place. Given the setting they're just distracting and rarely funny. They have to at least be funny, rather than just being a reference to a thing. With that joke it was a reference to a thing that didn't even make sense.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 3, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

vv Those episodes are bad and you should feel bad.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
\

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coleman posted:

Sometimes it lists it as going one minute longer. But it's not a huge deal, my DVR lets me add time before and after a scheduled recording. So I just added an extra three minutes, should be fine.

Yeah, for shows I really carre about I add five minutes to the beginning and end just in case.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The jokes were pretty damned funny though out. I'm amazed they actually managed to make an Avatar joke without it actually feeling too stale. Maybe it helped by putting them next to Tron and Minority Report Jokes (Which I'm not complaining about either. They were old enough that it was clear they weren't trying to be topical).

I do think this season so far has had pacing issues and that's been it's biggest problem. I haven't hated any of the episodes but the pacing of the plot feels uneven in all of them. Like some parts feel rushed, while others have too much time spent on them. It's all over the map.

I also feel plot wise we're kind of getting into later Simpsons territory where the plot seems more "what if CHARACTER was X". and all the characters seem to be devolving into their most basic functions. I should note to say I like later Simpsons, and I like these episodes but something's felt off about the whole half season.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Was his apartment rent controlled?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

No shoot fire stick in space canoe! Cause explosive decompression!

SOMEONE SAID FIRE!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It was overall a pretty good episode. I was really glad this wasn't just another Bender episode and actually it picked up steam alot when he left and it became a Francis/Zoidberg episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

fount of knowledge posted:

No love for the Francis/Fry hanging out montage? I loved how angry he looked the entire time.

"Eugh, four stinkin' years of clampin' school for THIS!"

You also got to love that despite this, Fry considered to be a better friend than Bender.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Leela starting to feel a bit under-used so far this rearranged half-season.

Spoiler on future episode:
According to the description on my DVR the next one appears to be a Leela episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why do I always like the episodes everyone else seems to hate? :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I liked it for the reason that some people have not liked it: it feels like the barely coherent ramblings of a writer that has been stuckk working on wone poo poo children's show too many.

I will agree that alot of the episode was better on paper than in actual execution. The ending in particular was brilliant in concept but just felt really off. I will also say that the first act was WAY better than the other two. As soon as they started making the show, it dropped in quality pretty severely. That being said I still enjoyed it and I really thought the first act was fantastic.

Still like it better than the cat one. I think it's worse than the Eyephone one but I like the Eyephone one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

superjew posted:

Did you watch Rugrats? I can get over it but all my girlfriend hears is Phil and Lil when the orphans talk.

Tress didn't do the voices for Phil and Lil. That was Kath Soucie.

I think Tress Macneille get's an odd amount of flak. Yes her voices repeat themselves within the show, but that's because she is literally every female character on the show other than Amy, Amy's Mom and Leela. It's ridiculous how heavilly they lean on her. The male actors get spread out between the bit parts, while every time there's a woman on screen there is a 95% chance it's Macneille.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

superjew posted:

I've been as dumb as Fry. :(

I really hope Tress gets paid per voice. Though she isn't in the Planet Express crew unless Cubert tags along. Is she doing LaBarbara now? I know she did it once in the original run.

I forgot about LaBarbara. :(

I think she's still a different voice actress. It's all she does though. I think if it's a one off line they just get Tress because it's not worth ragging the voice actress out to do one line.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man these are some terrible accents.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

And another Hermes pot joke. I didn't notice it until this thread (ruined it for me) that they're really pushing that harder than ever before.

I think there seriously has been a pot joke in every episode this half a season. It's getting kind of annoying. Especially because the joke tends to be "Hermes smokes pot" and nothing more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

shotgunbadger posted:

I liked the rope joke, it was a funny joke on the 'you can do so much with hemp also you can smoke the poo poo out of it' concept. There have been tons of jokes in the entire series that Hermes smokes pot, I have no idea why so many people are sperging out that it's happening now.

That's the thing though, there really weren't that many Hermes smokes weed jokes" before the new season. In fact I can't remember any but I'm open to the fact that I might be forgetting some. On the other hand almost every episode in this half season has had one and none of them have really been that funny.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

That was absolutely perfect Fry,"I work a nightjob because I need the money to afford the coffee that keeps me awake for my nightjob."

"It's like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip!"

This is the 1960s. I wrote a paper on it for my drug taking class!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chunky12345 posted:

Hi, I'm Andy Warhol.

Do you have any real cans of soup around here or just this rubbish?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I think my favourite Fry dumb-ism is him forgetting the wheel.

And then the Professor's classic "show us this 'The Wheel'!" line.

Wouldn't it work better if it were round?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched Lethal Inspections on Bluray and I have to ask, does anyone else find it funny that they had an episode that made a big deal about how when Bender dies, he'll be dead and then later in the season had him die and come back like five times?

Also shouldn't this topic be stickied? Is there not a new episode tonight? :ohdear:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SeXReX posted:

Which other episode are we talking about here?

Most of them aren't actual deaths but:

In "Neutopia" he melts, just to come back a second later.

In "Benderama" there's a dramatic death scene that turns out to be a ploy to catch the giant off guard. Also Bender after Bender dies in that episode in general.

In "Ghost in the Machines" in the machines he just flat out dies and coms back.

In "Silence of the Clamps" you assume he has been killed but it turns out to be someone else.

In "Law and Oracle" he appears to get shot, but it turns out he's wearing a vest.

I just find it funny that after an episode that emphasized how mortal Bender is we have a parade of consequence free Bender death.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This might be one of my favorite episodes. Let's hope they don't screw it up.

Also calling it: the old crew is in the whale's stomach.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Einstein was right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
you just talked yourself out of a sale.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That was a genuinely good episode :) It was creative, beautiful to look at and funny.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'd say it's a solid third for the whole season. It wasn't quite as good as Late Philip J Fry or Prisoner of Benda, but it was really damned good.

One of the things that was really good is everyone got something to do at some point. It had the whole cast and none of them felt wasted at any point. Also, it's good to finally get a great Leela centric episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously...there was a slight pause before the second Bender hit. There's no way that wasn't the joke. I can't believe there's even a question of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TravBot posted:

I never said he had hair. That's just how YOU chose to imagine it!

I really loved the shot of Zoidberg sadly floating away while growing hair that then turned white.

• Locked thread