Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

kangal posted:

Am I a robot?

Stop thinkin' you're a robot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It hasn't been brought up, but I really like the titular "Mobius Dick" line. It was clever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TravBot posted:

Presenting the most eligible landowner in all Hertfordshire, Mr. Brainly.

I'M A GIGANTIC BRAIN!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One thing that I want to bring up in regards to this weeks episode which I don't think has been brought up yet is that the music, especially when they were exploring the old Planet Express ship, was fantastic. The music on the series is always good but this week seemed to go above and beyond in terms of building the atmosphere.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

So any idea how old Zoidberg is if he was part of the crew 50 years ago? I also found it really funny that the Professor called him Johnny, I remember hearing there was an upcoming episode about how those two met and I'd like to see it.

In the commentary for "The Late Phillip J Fry" they said they originally had a joke where in one of the futures, Zoidberg was there for no explained reason. I guess his is a long lived race.

haveblue posted:

Please, God, do not let Futurama disappear down the black hole of continuity, serialization, and navel-gazing that ruined Venture Bros.

You look like jerks! :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TravBot posted:

I'm gonna kill that Mobius dick!

With me OXO Good Grips cheese knife, I stab at thee!

You do know I’m stabbing at thee, right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That episode was kind of...not that great. It was kind of silly bad rather than silly funny.

The Leela/Fry relationship thing is kind of starting to bug me. I know this show doesn't bother with continuity but it makes the parts where it actually moves forward pretty meaningless.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

It was an OK episode, but I am more geeked out by the fact that the professor pronounces a V as W in Latin then identifies himself as a Catholic, who traditionally pronounce V as V in Latin. Wampirus/Vampirus.

I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Your just using an archaic pronunciation, like when you say "ask" instead of "axe".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wait...people don't like the Honking? I think that's literally my favorite episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the problem I have with the Leela/Fry thing is they're just treating it like any other plot point as in they're making it match up to whatever the episode needs. I mean you have episodes like "Rebirth" where Leela and Fry can't live without each other, one's like "The Late Phillip J Fry", where they're dating or one's like "Prisoner of Benda" where no big thing is made of them sleeping together. Hell there was a throw away joke in "The Duh-Vinci Code" that where Leela agrees to "Join the mile deep club". Then there are episodes that just tend to forget it all like "The Mutants are Revolting" where it's treated like it's still a secret or this week's where it's just thrown away so Leela can pine after some jerk while Fry pines after her.

I know the show treats everything like this but I just feel you can't conclude a "Will they/Won't they" type deal and then go back on it because it's not as funny when they're together. "Will they/won't they" plots are tedious as it is without the series welshing on wrapping it up.

E:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ghost in the Machines was probably the closest the show has gotten to "touching" apart from The Late Phillip J Fry since the return.
Sad, really.

Lethal Inspections had some decent emotional stuff. Honestly the ratio of emotional to none emotional episodes seems about the same. The emotional ones were always the exception, not the rule.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 13, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Manos del Sino posted:

To shreds, you say?

How's his wife holding up?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'll show ye...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Optimist with doubt posted:

To people who have the volume 5, do the commentaries talk about the wishy washy relationship status of fry and leela?

Nope.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Good episode, but could the writers please forget that they gave first names to Fry, Leela, and Zoidberg? It was a goddamned joke that Leela's first name is Turanga. It was a goddamned joke that Zoidberg, an alien of the highest order, would be named something as mundane as 'John'. Why is it necessary to say their joke-names 50 times an episode?

What? This is a silly complaint. Yes the names were jokes at first but after that they're just names. It's not like it's played as a joke every time or anything. Sometimes it's just more appropriate to address someone by their first/full name.

Also, why did you even include Fry in there? His name isn't even a joke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To go back to the name thing, Turanga isn't even Leela's first name in the traditional sense. Her family name comes first with her and her parents. Their names are Turanga Leela, Turanga Morris and Turanga Munda.
:goonsay:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It really hasn't been commented on, but Lauren Tom has been hitting out of the park recently. Her read on "Good new everyone!" in Law and Oracle was one of my favorite things this season and her being constantly irritated in this episode was hilarious.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They should have just retired Scruffy after Prisoner of Benda. It just isn't going to go up from there.

The only other good use of him since then was the final joke in Neutopia.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, on the one hand I really liked how they pulled a fast one on the audience. They played up the expectations that the audience would have given previous episodes and then subverted that. That was great. This however made the ending feel real tacked on and out of place.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wish the rest of the Leela/Fry plot of this was as well developed as the last shot. It was like four scenes total. It hard to even call it a B-plot. It was kind of a disservice to have a scene as good as the last one be built up to so poorly. The res of the episode was okay, but not great. It really dragged badly in the middle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the things that's een driving me nuts about this season in general (particular the second half) is there's been alot of episodes that feel like they could have benefited from being feature length, yet when they actually made movies, they all felt like four episodes loosely strung together.

I mean, in this last one it wasn't just the Fry/Leela plot that was underdeveloped, it felt like everyone's role was given the bare minimum it needed to get the plot across. None of the characters were really featured very much. It also didn't feel like an ensemble episode. It just felt underdeveloped.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 2, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Future! posted:

No, Scruffy, I am wash bucket. I love you. Wash bucket has always loved you.

It’s wrong, Wash Bucket. Oh, it would be sweet for a while, but in the back of our minds we’d know that I’m a man and you’re janitorial equipment.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TravBot posted:

That's another thing that sucks about being a slave. The hours.

Oh lord :rolleyes:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That was pretty much on par with the Anthology of interests of the past. It was a much better one to end the season on then last weeks.

The old timey one was easily my favorite one though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I had to rank them it'd go a little something like this:
Mobius Dick
Reincarnation
The Tip of the Zoidberg
Law and Oracle
Silence of the Clamps
Yo Leela Leela
Overclockwise
Cold Warriors
Benderama
All the President's Heads
Ghost in the Machines
Fry am the Egg Man
Neutopia

This half was definitely WAY weaker then the other half. There was little that I found downright unwatchable, but alot of it was extremely mediocre.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This half seems to have been sorted before transmission. Bender episodes together, flashback episodes together, that kind of thing. It's the kind of thing that make things seem samey on a week-to-week level.

The really confusing thing is they were run out of order, so it was deliberate for some reason. Like originally it was going to open with Silence of the Clamps and Mobius Dick but they went with two of the weaker episodes instead. It's all so confusing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coleman posted:

CRAM A BASTARD IN IT, YOU CRAP!

Someday, I want to marry a girl like her.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Why does Ross, the largest Friend, not simply eat the other five?

It is true what they say... DrBouvenstein is from Omicron Persei 7, LOCUST FART HELL is from Omicron Persei 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

He wasn't talking about going to the moon! It was a euphemism for beating his wife!

Oh, really? I don't see you with a Fungineering degree.

• Locked thread