Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Inspector_71 posted:

I think the new episodes are getting really close to being way too topical, and have definitely crossed into that (Kardashian joke) at least a couple of times. Overall I'm enjoying the new episodes though.

Yeah, this. While there were moments of brilliance in these two episodes ("titty much protally fitshaced" had me rolling, and the photoshoot montages were fantastic) there were also way too many really lazy jokes (namedrop/gender/topical one-liners mostly) that just aren't clever or funny. There are enough cartoons like that and I'd rather it stayed out of Futurama.

The characters generally seemed to be written like shallow caricatures of themselves, but that's also true of the movies and the first couple of episodes of last season. I wonder if they do this on purpose to try to draw new viewers in?

Overall though, new Futurama, farnsworthtittyflap.gif, can't really complain all that much.

edit: It's really a shame how unfunny the gender jokes were, compared to how loving hysterical Amazonian Women is no matter how many times you've seen it.

wajack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

Did they do a "there were no survivors" joke with the TV anchors before? I could have sworn they did, and I will never not laugh at a "there were no survivors" joke :haw:

Yeah, in 'A Tale of Two Santas', which is in Season 4 I believe.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

axleblaze posted:

That being said, I think "Saturday will be known as Fryday" is one of my favorite lines of the entire series.

The whole opening was pretty much build-up for that line, and it was so worth it.

This episode was excellent, but then you can't really have a bad episode with the robot devil in it.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Coleman posted:

The "Obamacare" line from the most recent episode is probably not going to age very well either. But everyones praising the glory of that episode!

It already wasn't funny when it aired. It was a great example of how not to do topical references (directly in random one-liners). The ghostbuster reference, on the other hand, was awesome and hilarious.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lelandjs posted:

So I guess I'll have to be the one to chime in and say that I thought the episode was mediocre? It was just movie reference movie reference movie reference oh we should put in a plot in the last ten minutes so let's just base one on a movie reference.

Honestly it'd have been much better if they had made Fry a cop in the first five minutes, went with only the Minority Report plot line (though I did enjoy the Tron chase) and expanded Leela and Bender's into a B plot instead of it just being a goofy 3D movie/Avatar joke.

So.........you're a robot?

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are we really comparing halves of episodes now? That was a loving solid Futurama episode, and I am very happy.

edit: Amy saying "Good news everyone!", "No, it's cheaper to send you all to die", "It is I! Pickles!", I pretty much didn't stop laughing the entire time.

wajack fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 8, 2011

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stuffguyman posted:

Pfft, let's all go to some other thread where we don't all have to do one half of a thing all the time. Thought this one was great start to finish. It felt good that after worrying about jokes being too topical I laugh my rear end off at the whole Avatar scene.

Yeah, the Leno burn was fantastic too.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ChesterJT posted:

Anyone know where I can get a big "The Moon shall rise again" hat at?

Oh god yes I want one.

That episode was fantastic. JOHN loving ZOIDBERG.

I'm pretty sure that's the first time profanity has been used on the show too.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Futuramas been back nearly a month and I've had no idea?! This has to be fixed immediately!

So the current run of episodes is labeled as season 8 but actually it's season 7's run? And if you don't count the movies as season 6 it's season 6 or 7? This is more confusing than Classic and revival Doctor Who seasons, and that's saying a lot.

I think that this is technically the second half of Season 6 and no, you don't count the movies.

It doesn't make any sense.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

woodch posted:

Edit: Also, it's not like they were short on time this episode. Wasn't that a full opening? Or am I just so used to the new short version that I've forgotten?

It was and I really hope it stays. They cut out the best part of the theme song in the shortened opening and I hate it.

Not at great episode, but I didn't mind it. There were a few good laughs. Leela episodes are generally weaker than most.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bitterandtwisted posted:

Parasites Lost, Where no fan has gone before, Roswell that ends well, The Farnsworth Paradox, The Late Philip J. Fry and the Prisoner of Benda are all based on sci-fi ideas and are all great. Coincidence?

You forgot Godfellas.

You do have a point though, those are usually the best episodes - where the plot takes some sci-fi concept/story and turns it on its head in a hilarious way. That's what makes the show good. This episode felt like a meh episode of The Simpsons, for the most part.

I do like away episodes too, where they're exploring the crazy universe. All the new planets we've discovered this season have been one-off jokes or just straight up sucked.

Also Lrrr episodes are funny. And Zapp Brannigan and Kif. All the minor characters getting airtime this season are the unfunny ones (does anybody find hedonism bot funny?)

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Martytoof posted:

There was never any question that he was a big gay robot, but it was a lot funnier before he showed up in a big bondage harness.

So as with all things, he's funny in moderation.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as 'too much Zap Brannigan'. :colbert:

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Manos del Sino posted:

Now I get it!

:geno: I don't get it.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jerusalem posted:

That episode was just amazing, and they packed so much into it, at the two-thirds mark I was genuinely shocked that it wasn't over yet (and I mean that in a good way).

Yeah, that was really good. Definitely best of the half season.

Bender staging a mutiny, Lila being her own mutiny, 'giant land space whale', the 4th dimension, I was in stitches the entire time.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Surprised no one commented on one of the dirtiest jokes of the half season.

Miss Wong, you have the poon.

What the hell I missed this. Rewatch time!

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blind Pineapple posted:

Loved that episode, easily the best of the new (half) season. The first act was prime Futurama with so many great lines.

"I knew you had other crews, but you never told us you had a first crew."

"I never said he had hair! If you chose to imagine him that way, that's your business!"

"We're space aliens, you're lucky we even speak English."

"The dials are terrified."

"It only breaches into our universe to eat and fill its lungs with vacuum."

Then there were so many other quality gags during the whale hunting portion. Bender hitting the wall twice made me laugh way more than it should. Fry's reaction to Leela's first insane Moby Dick rambling (Um, that's a good point), Bender throwing Fry under the bus to start a mutiny, the idea of giraffe-harpooning... So much to enjoy. My only minor quibbles were Scruffy's line at the end to undermine the plot and another one-off joke for the ending, but at least they set this one up throughout the episode.

"It's a space graveyard! Why did we have to come at night?"

Just got that one on my second watch. Also, I missed "Miss Wong, you have the 'poon" because it's right after "Giraffes are basically just land space whales" and I was laughing. :colbert:

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Fry/Leela thing has been all over the map for a while now. I don't care, because their idiotic romance was always the most annoying part of the show for me and I'm glad it's gone.

I did enjoy the episode though, although it went a little downhill towards the end. Awesome to see Lrrr again, and all the Mr. Peppy gags were great.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Guys. Where'd Nibbler go?

Yeah, they missed the boat not having a Lord Nibbler/Mr. Peppy showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leovinus posted:

It's not bad, it's just a bit humdrum. Makes a lot of people's bottom five.

God I love that episode. B-E-N-D-E-R, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENDER! B-E-N-D-E-R, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENDER!

• Locked thread