Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What time does this party start? Because I have to know when to stop reading the thread since we can't see this in Canada.

EVER!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:siren: My opinion :siren:

First one was pretty good, second one was meh. I didn't really have a problem with the gender thing. The writing for Bender's lines seems really lazy for some reason. Just kind of weak overall. I can't put my finger on it. That's pretty much what dragged the entire episode down for me. I just don't like the new season Bender.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. I feel like they really ramped it up in these last two new seasons. I pretty much watch an episode a night from the first run and there is just a big difference in how I feel he's been written for :(

Oh well, still not terrible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

axleblaze posted:

So you thought the Bender jokes were lazy but the "Women like shopping, Men won't ask for directions" jokes to be just fine?

Yeah I mean I guess one didn't bother me as much as the other. It's just my opinion so it's no big deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I found the lack of a Fox animation budget to be a real killer. A lot of things look really sloppy, even though it's in glorious HD now. Of course maybe the fact that it's in HD helps highlight the difference. I wonder just how much money they saved by having Overseas do more of the up-front animation as well. It really shows in the final product :(

And I already put in my two cents about the writing since the revival so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Of course, having said that, you're not going to get me to stop watching new episodes :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did they do a "there were no survivors" joke with the TV anchors before? I could have sworn they did, and I will never not laugh at a "there were no survivors" joke :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Still kinda goofy, but the main thrust of the episode no longer feels as much like a lazy standup routine at open mic night.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

How droll. :geno:

No wait, the other thing. Tedious!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cray posted:

More like E.B. Farnum.

Farnum is the only thing I associate with him anymore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IUG posted:

So, I guess if you're one of the people who loved the first two episodes we got last week, you'll find this episode very underwhelming. I just never got into this one, so I'm not surprised the forum so far seems to have loved it.

Maybe Bender is becoming my least favorite character.

I liked it better than the first two but I still don't like the way they write for Bender, and really a lot of Fry's stupidity seems less "clever" than it did in the first run. I'm sure I'm just looking for reasons to complain at this point though. For what it is I thought it was a pretty good episode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Fry forgetting how to talk is my absolute favorite running gag.

An idea?

uh! uhuh!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yet another witty crossover that probably like two people will get!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stephen Harper posted:

There are two Islanders fans? :confused:

It's amazing the way you NOTICE TWO FANS :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Watch the eyePhone episode again, it's really not that bad.

Correct!

no wait, the other thing --

Wrong!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There was something in every episode to enjoy, don't get me wrong. They were all watchable and had a few funny bits here and there, they're just not memorable to me at all, with the exception of probably two great episodes.

That's just my opinion though, obviously don't expect anyone to agree with me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I didn't HATE the eyePhone episode. How can I hate something that gave us "Scruffy turned a reg'lar board inter a divin' board"?

So much for a pleasant swim in vomit :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be completely fair, when the Lucy Liu episode first aired in 2000-something I pretty much wrote it off as "topical guest star" trash too, but in time I came to love it because it integrated her so seamlessly.

Plus it didn't hurt that I haven't heard her name once in like ten years since then, so she doesn't seem like such an obvious celebrity insert.

I really doubt I'll feel the same way about any of these "topical" episodes, but maybe they'll grow on me. Who knows.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The propellers thing was stupid but I got a huge laugh out of all the obviously mismatched seats on the "plane". That was a great touch :)

e: I mean the props didn't bother me or anything, they were obviously there as a gag but they just looked dumb because you've got flying cars and everything :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 4, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kwanzaa bot is a great character, that whole kwanzaa episode was just one :ughh: after another. Though again, like every episode it had its moments. Zoidberg turning to face the wall for no reason right before Kwanzaa bot busts in was great :3:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I liked this episode. Since I love being contrary I gotta say that the first half was better than the second, but it was pretty strong throughout. The minority report thing wasn't bad or anything, I just think they could have done a lot more with fry being a cop. Anyway, it was solid. Best of the half-season in my eyes, easily.

I'm starting to put my finger on what I dislike about bender lately. The writing for his character was okay this episode, but dimaggio's voicing of him seems to have gotten a little growlier and deeper in some ways. I mean obviously 10+ years will do that to a voice actor, but it's one of those little things that when combined with crappier writing really throws me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 8, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just something that popped into my head which may or may not be true, but they seem to be writing Fry REALLY really whiny lately.

Like it just seems to me like he used to be dumb but now he's dumb and whiny.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

One of the very first lines we heard from Fry in the pilot was "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life...".

He's always been whiny, it's just that the novelty of living in the future excited him for a while.

Yeah, before he always seemed sort of "angry whiny", but now he just feels "depressed whiny". It's hard to describe, again it's probably just how 10+ years of voice acting take their toll on a character. I guess I shouldn't have implied he was never whiny in the first run, just that it sounds a little different this go around :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, usually I don't notice, but it's hard for me not to hear Billy West/Fry when that cop starts talking.

I think I first noticed it in the robosexual marriage episode where he used a slightly different voice for some reason. Or maybe that was a different episode, but whatever it was I remember we were all "what the hell is wrong with Smitty's voice?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To shreds, you say?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sebzilla posted:

How's his wife bearing up?

To shreds, you say?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is an outrage! I was going to eat that mummy!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stuffguyman posted:

Who said that!?

Talk a little louder? Sounds like you got some kindsa tiny head on you or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

It was one of the best of that season!!

The Elders tell of a young poster much like you. He posted three times an hour. Then he posted 1.8 times an hour. Then he posted four times an hour. Do I make myself clear?

Mr. Albert, our mods tell the same story.

Oyyy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ƃuıuɹoɯ ʎq uʍop-ǝpısdn ƃuıʇsod ǝq ll,ǝH ˙snƃunɟ ʇsod s,ʇI

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Bu, ubj V jvfu V pbhyq oryvrir gung. Lbh znl or zl rivy unys-oebgure, ohg gurer'f ab ynj ntnvafg zheqrevat gur bgure unys.

Oh, how I wish I could believe or understand that!

Rot13

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe I'm saying this -- I loving LOVED that episode. I don't have a single complaint. That felt straight up old-school futurama to me. This is my favorite episode of the new run, by FAR. And I mean we've had some good ones like the time machine and robosexual marriage one. Everyone felt like their characters were dead on, except maybe Zoidberg who stood out in a great way.

I know I'm gushing but I seriously never expected the new run to produce anything this great.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't get me wrong, I've been enjoying most of season six as well, I just felt like there was a marked difference between s1-4 and s6. The new episodes were mostly all good, but I never felt like they had the same "feel" as the original run which kind of hurt them in a way. This episode had that feel, and managed to take me back to the original run very easily. I'm probably not articulating this correctly what with being almost 4am, but I really felt so strongly about it that i had to go post about it on the Internet instead of going to bed :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can feel part of a show was weak and still have enjoyed it as a whole. There's nothing wrong with voicing an opinion :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Flatscan posted:

Unless your opinion's bad and you should feel bad.

No spluh, why do you think I'm sitting over here in the opinion-free zone?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This half season DVD should come out in a bender coffin shaped box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OR DOES THAT CONFUUUSE YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

She's not boring, her loan officer said so!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did Zoidberg get his equivalent of an erection while fighting clamps? :psyduck:

Yes, they're really milking that one for all its worth.

Err... Poor choice of words.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SeXReX posted:

these new episodes seem like they would make the drinking game end even more poorly than usual, so much bender.

I think what bothers me most about the new Bender (aside from how he's written) is that DiMaggio's delivery seems to have changed a little. Not a lot, but just enough to make it sound a little off and give it that "post-cancellation" vibe. I think he does it a little gruffer and deeper than he used to. I don't really feel that from any of the other characters.

And of course realize that when I say "bothers me", I don't mean "I'm gettin' angry on the internet!!" about it or anything, just something I noticed that sticks in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chairman Mao posted:

Well to be completely fair, he is twelve or so years older than when he started.

Yeah I mean it's not unexpected, I just don't notice as much of a deviation from the norm from any of the other characters as I do from Bender.

But like I said, it's not a big deal. Just one of those things I pick up on subconsciously.

• Locked thread