Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I don't like a lot of the dubstep rooms on Turntable.FM, but last night, I finally found my new favorite room :allears: Have really liked the tracks that get played in there (especially from the artists I've found through this thread).

I also recently watched Bass Weight, which introduced me to Goth-Trad and I am beyond excited for his upcoming EP. Definitely a purchase for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hALwMKRIZks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

unterdude posted:

Anyone in the LA area get a chance to check out Eagle Rock last night? Surprised me for a free show, Low End Theory was bangin. Toki, FlyLo, Nosaj Thing, and D-Styles killed it. Heard some new Rustie, kinda surprised me. LA is finally catching up?

Was there too and loved it. Listen to the podcasts too if you're not already. Them and MAH are how I got into this music to begin with. They plaayed pretty much the while Rustie album across everyone's sets. Have newfound respect for Jonwayne too.

And I did stare down and shake my head at a guy for complaining about when Nosaj would just "drop the beat already."

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Haven't seen Arkist's new EP discussed and gave that a few listens lately. Really like the deep and grimey sound. Here's a link, it's a free download.

Also spent some time lately with the Hotflush podcast. Heard about it since Arkist did the most recent volume, but I'm backtracking through the rest as well, plus the site has some other good mixes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I've also been loading up the iPod with podcasts.. what else would you guys recommend? So far I've got Hotflush, Rinse, and Boiler Room.

And another free EP from Requake, a duo in Belgium. Blunt is pretty amazing.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Decline posted:

I feel so sorry for everyone that didn't listen to the entire thing live. It was amazing. It's a must grab podcast. Everyone really brought it. Respect to Elijah & Skilliam for making the whole thing happen.

Do you have a link for this podcast?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks! I guess I can't see this podcast in the US iTunes store, would be nice to subscribe.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

To add on to this, anyone know of a good calendar for Dallas?

Last.FM's events, otherwise get on the mailing lists for Granada Theater, Trees, Lizard Lounge and other similar local venues.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

a milk crime posted:

The Jackmaster RA Podcast is ill beyond ill.

Glad to see that interview too. I didn't see him on the official SXSW lineup so I bet he'll play some unofficial shows, which is a-ok with me. I saw that XXXY will be playing the festival too. Hope to hear plenty of good bass music there this year.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Someone dropped this on the Future Garage (basically bass music) room on turntable within minutes of upload last night. Pretty huge tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrGocVz8QI

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yay, new Goth-Trad. Can't wait for his debut album.
http://soundcloud.com/stholdings/goth-trad-airbreaker-cosmos

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Where would Clicks & Whistles fit in? They get plenty of play on turntable and they just released the Can't Believe EP. The sound reminds me a lot of Rustie and Hudson Mohawke in a good way. Half of the duo posts here (he's also known as turbo p/trill rear end).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I just went in and signed in with facebook and I now have an account. As far as I know I've not been invited.

Odd.

e: http://thisismyjam.com/BellendS

It works like how Turntable.fm did at first, where if you have a friend that already has an account, you sign in and you're in.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Oh and the Goth-Trad album is out next week too.

Actually, I just ended up getting the Japanese release which has been out for near a month now. I just couldn't wait! I enjoyed how polished this album felt and it was easy to see that reocurring theme of "a new beginning," especially in terms of going back to the roots of deeper sub bass. Large variety too, moving from laid back and very subtle to really heavy tracks.

RA had a good interview with him recently too:
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1510

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Synkro's on the Resident Advisor podcast:
http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=297

Tracklist:
Sabre, Stray & Halogenix – Oblique (Synkro Remix)
Background Sound – Close
Frederick Robinson – Shore
ASC – Sarang
Stickman – The Klixx (Indigo Remix)
Troy Gunner & Cuffy – Decisive Creation
DjRum – The Darkest Hour Is Just Before Dawn
Indigo – Wake
GoldFFinch – Once You Wrap
Lostlojic – Don’t You Feel (Synkro Remix)
GoldFFinch – Untitled
Indigo – Snowfall (Tom Dicicco Remix)
Until Silence – Stolen Hours
Emeli Sande – Daddy (Ifan Dafydd Remix)
Akkord – Back & Forth
Menik – Close To You (Indigo Remix)
Troy Gunner – Headlights
Synkro – Can’t See
Darling Farah – Model
Guy Andrews – Shades
Stickman – The Verge
Akkord – Renewal
Bay & Elsewhere – I Think Of
Above & Beyond – Love Is Not Enough (Synkro Remix)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

And I just found out I'll be in DC this weekend. Anyone wanna go with me to this?
http://pinchindc.eventbrite.com/

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Decline posted:

Blackdown tweeted a link to 2 hours of unreleased LHF dubs this morning: http://goo.gl/ew7wz

Not a bad way to start the day.

That link went down, is there a different mirror?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Need help, what are some artists similar to Skream, and Haywyre?

Benga, Kryptic Minds, Distance, Loefah.

Haywyre's music gives me a vibe that Flying Lotus was influential over his style. Look up other glitchy artists. Maybe TOKiMONSTA?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I didn't even know I had it. or that it was even recorded but there we go. Total goosebumps, and it did make me realise Glasgow might've inadvertingly coined the term dungeon (not really but you'll see). Anyway that is now being uploaded, along with another wee gem for you. Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse from late 2005. Check back this post when I'll post the links to them. Whenever they actually upload to Mediafire, so probably in about 2 weeks time.

Do you have a dropbox account? If you wouldn't mind sharing the file with me through that, I can upload it to a direct download and pass the link to everyone here.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I love SXSW since you always just expect the unexpected. My life was changed by this event. SMOG is legit and I hope to see more events from y'all of this caliber! Quite easy to get in and there were zero lines. They even provide a shuttle to get to the venue since it is a painful walk from downtown Austin. So I felt pretty apprehensive at first since the SPL and Flinch were playing a ton of filthier music, but Plastician murdered the floor once he got on. Crowd went ballistic once he dropped Rustie - Ultra Thizz.

I've seen 12th Planet before (alongside Skrillex at SXSW last year) and I was never really fond of his style, but he points over to Skream and Benga, and says, "This set is what made me fall in love with dubstep and it's a tribute to these guys." I'm fairly certain every track he played was at least 4+ years old. The crowd went even crazier for this track. To be frank, I enjoyed his set the most out of everyone, even Skream and Benga.

Also happy about seeing Clicks & Whistles at their showcase on Friday night and then SBTRKT at the Fader Fort the next day. I do wish someone told me about how to get into this event. Would have been a complete SXSW had I seen HudMo and Machinedrum.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't know what you Gritsy folks have been doing in Houston, but you must be working your asses off to book some of these acts to play down there :aaa: I also love the mood of the events; it's basically just a dark room of people enjoying the bass. Gonna try and make as many as I can.
April 14: Silkie
May 12: Distance, J:Kenzo
June 9: Goth-Trad, Truth
July 14: Mala, Coki

air- fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 18, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And here was I thinking SXSW was just for bands.

Plast is an absolute don. It's been way too loving long since I've seen him play now I think of it. Man doesn't get nearly as much love as he should do.

Was it that original Mavado number or the Coki remix/bootleg thing that used to get absolutely rinsed years ago? I had totally forgot about it until now. Strange that. It was even one of those tunes everybody used to chant along to as well!

The bootleg, AND EVERYONE loving CHANTED. This was an 18+ show, and it was beautiful seeing all the kids with black x's on their hands awestruck.

I also forgot to mention something important, I was standing up front the whole time and when Plast dropped Japan, some screaming chick full on checked me into the guardrail as she trampled everyone behind me and was going nuts over hearing the track live. Thought the energy was great. I'm also very glad Austin kept it classy and there was no moshing!

Skream and Benga also had everyone rush the stage and I joined in on the fun, but the pics are awful :(

e: and SXSW is for any genre of music. If you ever make it, just message me and I'll gladly walk you through on how to plan your attack, survive, stay sane, while getting absolutely shitfaced and seeing a lot of amazing live music in the most efficient manner. By efficient I mean doing all of this for free.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 18, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Full Skream/Benga set at the SMOG party is here:
http://youtu.be/n52e2ULC-Uw

air-
Sep 24, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You could waste a whole day reading Plast's tweets.

Plastician ‏ @djplastician
I got so much time for any bloke who's been brave enough to have a poo poo in Barcelona bar, Austin. RT if u had a poo poo there

So there we go Austin goons, ever taking a massive shite in the Barcelona? Plast gots some amount of time for you. Though probably only if the Barcelona ain't one of those places where the stalls have no doors.

I'm not from Austin, but been to that venue many times. The men's bathroom is a urinal and a toilet about 5 feet from each other.

One of my friends did the recent volume of Expansion Broadcast!
http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/413/

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Rustie did an Essential Mix last night. Very excited to hear this one!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f15yf

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure if it's just SUBFRIES and I who are in the DC area, but who else is going to Forward Festival?

100% planning to go to the Forward Bass showcase and the closing party. So excited about pretty much the entire lineup, especially Silkie, Jacques Greene, Dara, and J:Kenzo.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Awesome, will have to grab drinks!

And I am in for this as well:
http://2562indc.eventbrite.com/

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Denver and Houston both deserve huge props too. That Deep Medi celebration in Denver sounded pretty ridiculous, and if you recall those lineups that Gritsy has put together in Houston, they even got more press attention. Very excited to see more and more growth in the U.S.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Also really enjoyed Surkin's remix LP. Especially the Rustie remix of Lose Yourself and L-Vis 1990/Bok Bok's of Gold Island.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Not sure if everyone saw, but there's also a Sunday Forward after-party at night. I'm pretty sure I'm calling in sick to work next Monday because I bet I'll need to recuperate.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Probably the same space as the preview parties (2562, Pinch, etc.), and probably J:Kenzo again. I might go in late on Monday. Was thinking of taking Thursday off, but I think Monday off (or late) would be better.

Yeah 1351 H St. NE is the same spot, that's also where Joe Nice/Hatcha will be. I am a huge fan of that location now and was really impressed with the precision and output of the system when 2562 played. Plus $5 DC Brau pale ale on tap was great. I have a car but it'd be really nice if it were easier to get out there via public transportation.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Tonight's the night :allears:

So excited, see y'all there. And I'm seriously thinking about staying all the way through and catching the 7:20 AM Metro out of New York Ave tomorrow morning. By the way, Two Beans, I did check and the last train leaves at 2:34 AM.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Can't blame 28 Gun Bad boy for not knowing since trap is a subset of Southern hip-hop that came out of Atlanta! Think Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, etc, and this post goes a little deeper.

Lots of low-end, and it's blended a little with Chicago juke to create some yet-to-be-named dancy style of bass music that also has synths, 808s/909s, and horns. Producers that fall into this sound: Baauer, Sinjin Hawke, Addison Groove, Hudson Mohawke, Lunice, and Rustie.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Maguro posted:

Yeah this is pretty much it. Everyone listens to southern-style rap here (considering it's New Orleans) so these tunes go over really well.

Yup, I dig the sound because I'm originally from Houston and grew up on UGK, Swisha House, Mike Jones, etc. I can really see this kind of bass music taking off across the South in general since the sound is so iconic to the region.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Anae posted:

I heard Karma by Waka Flocka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8qc_bktRE) a week or so back and LOVED it. This seems to be roughly the kind of thing you guys are talking about. Could you post some particular tunes/albums/compilations that I should really check out? I have no idea where to start with this stuff.

Here ya go:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

While we're dropping suggestions, please school me on juke/footwork. I'm halfway certain that I missed some previous posts on the thread about it, (was it discussed here?) but I do want to learn more.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Oh jesus it looks like I'm gonna have to go donate plasma this month to make rent. Distance is coming to Dallas this Friday with Dub Assembly and there's no way in hell I'm missing this.

Wow, night before both him and J:Kenzo are playing in Houston- and makes me wonder why he doesn't have a Dallas date. Trees also recently made some huge upgrades so they have the best system I've heard in the metroplex. The bass is excellent and I really like that it's basically a larger small venue.

E: And if you wanted to know more, I didn't realize it was put in when they reopened. http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/01/sound_advice_lee_russell_pilot.php

air- fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 7, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Don't you ruin this for me :argh:

Oh no, wasn't trying to do that at all! Hope you bought your ticket because a friend mentioned it's already sold out (and I never hear that happen at that venue, holy gently caress). I just figure whoever did the booking may as well have gotten both of them for one insane night to really push the system at Trees to it's limits.

Besides, Goth-Trad isn't coming until sometime in August, plus I can't make Reconstruct in NYC since I have to be back in TX for a wedding :smith:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I also want to go to Outlook in the future, but it's getting huge almost in the sense like Coachella has. If I did get a legitimate shot at going, I've talked to a few people about splitting a rental house as opposed to doing the camping thing, but that'll requires some extensive planning.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Warp just set a date for the HudMo/Lunice collab on their Facebook!
https://bleep.com/release/36459

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Silkie and Quest to mix Dubstep Allstars vol. 9!
http://tempa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249:tempacd019-news&catid=38:news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

NYC goons, check this out. Lineups are so good that it's tough to pick out just a few :(
http://www.momaps1.org/warmup

• Locked thread