Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
gently caress yes, 28GBB puts up part 6! I've been sharin' the series on my facebook. A ton of my friends could benefit from the knowledge!

thepopstalinist: Checkin' out that Debian Blak as I type...I'm feelin' it so far, but track 3 was kinda "eh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Holy gently caress, y'all! I just heard this really amazing track from Submorphics called, "The Moment That Builds"...I am lovin' the hell out of it.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

infinity2005 posted:

I don't even understand the American audience in regards to dance music. Previously the complaint heard the most that 'techno is all repetitive', then of all the possibilities midrange dubstep, electro-house and Deadmau5 is the only thing that gains any popularity? Marketing/exposure must be the problem, if you introduce fans of this stuff to other things i find people generally receptive; they just have no will to go out of their way and find anything else on their own.

You're spittin' so much truth here, it's kinda ridiculous.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

I'm just unfortunate enough to live in the Midwest, which might as well be Wob central. LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Philly, NYC, all have creative and vibrant local scenes. And with producers like Araabmusik there's more opportunity for them to cross over into the pop realm (though it's more likely that rappers and the like will be going for the filthy stuff).

Where in the Midwest are you? 'Cause I can relate to the whole "unfortunate" thing.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

...Seriously over a decade later and I still have the occasional PTSD-induced nightmare from everyone playing nothing but loving Darude and ATB from the years of 1999 to 2002. I can't even escape it nowadays as they seem to be the only CDs my brother in law still has. Driving to work in the van is torture.

I am so very sorry. (That bullshit was like, the majority of my high school years right there.)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Kids React to Dubstep...and kids say the darndest things, don't they?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Just got back from the Skream & Benga show...and it was dope as hell. I took some pics of the crowd and stuff. I'll post them up later. Even got to shake Benga's hand and tell him he spun a dope show. Was anyone else that posts here and lives in the Chicago area there?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Styliferous posted:

Did they spin individual sets, or was it two hours of them working together? I'm going to see them at Fall Massive in DC next month and I'm hoping for the latter. I heard Skream dropped Left Leg Out last night, hopefully he'll play at least one track by DMZ in DC.

They were together for a couple hours...and one of the other DMZ dudes was with them. It was that one dude that looks a lot like Mala, or it was Mala himself MC'ing. They spun a great show...hell, every DJ that was there spun some dope poo poo.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Shots from Skream & Benga at The Mid in Chicago, IL (10-19-2011)

Crowd shot from the balcony...this is how it SHOULD look.

Another crowd shot from the balcony...tried to include the DJ booth this time.

Ventured into the crowd for some better shots...Skream, everyone!

Benga havin' a Zen Moment, or somethin'...

Gettin' the crowd more hype!

Skream also havin' a Zen Moment...

I also managed to record a couple small clips of their set.

Clip 1, and Clip 2. Enjoy it, y'all.

(EDIT - posted one more pic)

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 21, 2011

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

air- posted:

Haven't seen Arkist's new EP discussed and gave that a few listens lately. Really like the deep and grimey sound. Here's a link, it's a free download.

Also spent some time lately with the Hotflush podcast. Heard about it since Arkist did the most recent volume, but I'm backtracking through the rest as well, plus the site has some other good mixes.

Thanks for the info, just subscribed to the podcast and downloaded the EP...gotta give it a listen throughout the day, though.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

knox posted:

The actual HARD show was boss. Joker was the poo poo, 2nd time seeing him. loving dropped Streets of Rage 2 theme music.

HE DID WHAT!?! Holy poo poo, that's amazing!

88h88 posted:

New Reso EP on the way 21/11/11. He's such a nerd, EP is called Ishimura and the other track is called Vanquish.

http://soundcloud.com/reso/reso-ishimura-ep-preview

<3

Best news I've heard all night. Thanks!

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 25, 2011

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Anyone who was anyone had a Mega Drive. SNES was for wee kids with it's primary colours and slow, fat plumbers. And no blood in Mortal Kombat. What's the point without it I mean really?

More fresh news in, Seiji #5 drops at the end of next month. As usual more great work from the man, he's really hit a great vein of music over the past year, following the likes of Zed Bias with some real dancefloor workouts. Some big label really needs to snap him up and give it the exposure it deserves.

Only in the first MK...blood was left in after that.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
So, I brought my subwoofer + speaker set to work and was blastin' "Safe or Sorry" - Vaski...and this customer that came in thought it was Skrillex. That worries me. Anyways, I wrote down what the track was (I'm not the music elitist type) and gave it to him to find on his own and told him to not even worry about Skrillex.

That's another thing altogether though. Peeps need to stop being sheisty with good music. You sit there and complain about these kids hopping on a genre you enjoy via some producer that you may not enjoy, but rather than share and broaden their horizons, you just sit on all of your own good poo poo and laugh at them because "they just won't ever know". How does that help anything?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
I'm glad there's all this discussion about Juke...one of my managers at work was really into it, and was happy to hear it's making some kind of comeback when I told him that some Juke poo poo was dropped at that Skream & Benga show I was at (though, if I remember correctly, I think it was DJ Solo that dropped it). I didn't even know about these footwork battles though, I'll have to ask him about it.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Someone tweeted this to Skream...

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Did anyone check out the Slugabed EP? Some reviews described it as instrumental hiphop but I don't really see how that comes across. It's definitely very wonky/glitchy and something about it really resonates with me, though I"m not sure exactly what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRkLEqfR2EE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CMwUDPYVM

Geez...this is really fuckin' good.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
So...Today is my birthday, and my mom got me THIS, much to my surprise. Any idea where I should go for tutorials? I have messed around with these for a bit, but I'd like a better idea of what the hell I should be doing, you know?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Ah breakbeat garage, one love. I think the only think I'm lacking there is the Mos Def remix, Freez and Skream's Acid People(to my eternal shame I have very little Big Apple stuff, though in my defense they were always hard to find).

Nice to see Rain Dance there, nice little tune that never gets enough love. Much preferred the Oris Jay remix to The Journey though. Actually I think the remixes are on a bloody picture disc, the shame.

e: Of course stand out track is Said The Spider. But we all knew that already. Seriously folks if you like this mix, go out and buy Bingo Beats Vol 1, 2 and 3 on (surprise surprise) Bingo. Volume 3 is even mixed by Slimzee with a guest freestyle by a young Dizzee.

Wow, that "Said the Spider" track is drat good. Shame I hadn't heard it when it originally came out.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Dopo posted:

Also I don't think the Belgian label Pelican Fly has come up in this thread yet. Definitely a label to watch if you're into trappy bass stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/pelicanfly

Good poo poo here, thanks for the heads up.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I figure he means having a wav as the source of a hosted, online mix(i.e. Soundcloud) is a bit overkill in general, given the fact 99% of the time it's just going to be played on a computer so a 320kb thing is good enough. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Soundcloud or wherever chops it down to an mp3 and compresses it down anyhow.

Everything Maguro/Chump Change posts on his Soundcloud is WAV. I have to convert 'em to MP3 just so I can listen to them outside of my laptop. (NOTE TO MAGURO: This is not me bitching about your methods. You're just the only person I subscribe to that does that, is all.)

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Maguro posted:

I do it for the reason that Dopo stated, when I uploaded in mp3 I would get tons of transcoding errors that made the tunes sound like trash. I was thinking about adding an mp3 link in the comment section but I never really got around to it. I guess I will start doing it from now on though, my friends in Estonia were complaining that it takes forever for them to download a tune haha.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask...is your screen name here a reference to the Sega Genesis game, "Ristar"?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

thepopstalinist posted:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that in interviews he's specifically talked up a love for the 90's Warp roster. Which makes sense - outside of Big Beat stuff, the rockist mainstream press in the US from the 90's on up through the nascent bloghaus era only really covered IDM when it came to electronic music, largely because it was a curiosity and because of Chris Cunningham's eye-catching music videos. It's certainly how I got into electronic music despite being from the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Musically I think it makes sense too, since Skrillex is more or less what you get when you mix Come to Daddy EP (which is probably RDJ's weakest work, all told) with a bit of Bassnectar and maybe the odd Rusko track. It's funny to me, since I've always thought of Come To Daddy as a typically ham-handed piss take on The Fat of the Land-era Prodigy, and Skrillex seems like the type not to catch the joke. The music sounds like TFotL's bad qualities amplified. The digital scuzz, the monotone colors, and most of all, the inescapable 'tude of it all.

Really there's no end to the comparisons you can make to describe how unpleasant Skrillex's music is.

And yet...loving SKRILLEX is the one with FIVE Grammy nominations. Heaven forbid what'll happen to the genre in the states if he WINS any of 'em.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Who gives a gently caress. Nothing will happen to the "genre" (EDM is not a genre).

I was talking about Dubstep, considering this is the Dubstep thread.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Maguro posted:

My friends and occasional collaborators HIGHWAYS have put a new tune on soundcloud. Its pretty rad! Another techno-influenced juke jam.

Highways - Lately
http://soundcloud.com/highwaysound/lately

Yeah, it's really good, man. Thanks for sharing this!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Yeah. I'm really interested to see how this tour is received. I believe last time Benga toured the US, he was backed up with a lot of really bro-y dudes like Noisia and other poo poo. As far as I know, Skream + Benga play a lot of really bro stuff, but not on the same level. Also, I am interested to see how Jackmaster is received. Jakes is part of the bill, too, and I didn't realize he DJd.

It was dope when I saw Skream and Benga last year, but the most interesting DJ that was there was the one that opened JUST before them, DJ Solo.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Well that's what I get for thinking lovely crowd = lovely attendence. I guess I'd normally describe a bad crowd using the words gently caress, loving, bastards and cunts more. But you know if there is one thing about me it's that I'm very subtle and understated.

I still say you still gotta stake your claim at the speakers though. Best spot. Muscle in there and claim it. Go on, do us proud! Don't let those skinny jeans and band t-shirt crowd get their own way!

I always get to the speakers...it's the only way to go.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Are any of you on the This Is My Jam beta? I'd be interested in following relevant bros in case they're vibesin to something that flew under my radar.

Never even heard of it.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
SPL just posted this video on his Facebook. poo poo was hilarious, and very on point.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Pretty much a lot of the type of kids that were at the Skream & Benga show Styliferous went to in DC, although the video makers were probably more Baltimore-area than DC.

I am sure it is going to get sampled a few times at least.

Which is funny, 'cause the Skream & Benga show I went to, here in Chicago, was far more diverse than that.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
"Tonedown" - Gridlok. I'm REALLY feelin' this one right here...what do y'all think?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You're forgetting who you're talking to! Dropbox account? gently caress knows what that is. I had just planned on uploading to Mediafire and giving the link. I think I can do that can't I? I'm pretty sure I've done that before.

I could upload it to this, then if you wanted you could share it or something. Honestly my upload rates are measured in how many rings grow on the tree trunk before it finishes, so I'd probably be screwed wherever it gets uploaded to.

Okay folks come and get your somewhat sketchy sounding audio files! First up we have Skream @ Home Studios during the summer of 2006. This was the same place where Mala first played and was basically an empty shopfront front then with a big, tiled, low ceiling basement which is where we were. Nowadays it's the relatively new Glasgow African Carribbean Centre.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubvcva0m3esnvc6

And then from September 2005 we have Kode9 b2b Mala on Rinse. I can only assume the actual file came from Barefiles, as this was before Rinse hosted anything themselves.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ifi2gpts9ifkaja

Again sound quality on both of them isn't exactly hi-fidelity, but if you ask me they're neat little snapshots of the scene of the time. Outside of the Dubstep Allstars series it really shows what mixes were like back then, what was being played, how it was played etc etc. No idea how long the links will last, if they'll last, or how many downloads it'll take so for the more industrious of you feel free if you want to upload it somewhere else.

Downloaded. Thanks for the history lesson, as always.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

air- posted:

I always hesitated to give this guy a chance because of his rep, but hey thanks for sharing the mix. The variation in his sound was refreshing since I'm one of those "true dubstep" types as mentioned in this review of his album.

Reso is one of the best producers puttin' out music today, no doubt. Met him last year and he was chill as hell. But yeah, definitely give more of his stuff a listen.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Okay, real talk...every time I've ever heard Garage and 2-step style music, I've loved it...but I don't know enough about the major players in those genres, and I don't have enough of that stuff in my life. SO! Who on earth should I be checkin' out when it comes to this stuff?

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Maguro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVeuMJd83o

Listen to a bunch of Horsepower Productions, El-b, Wookie, and maybe stuff like Darqwan to hear some of the darker poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1L0pKPeejw

Good lookin' out, man. Those links were both dope. Gonna check out the other stuff you listed...

JamesKPolk posted:

The links in the OP are really good for a general outline of the scene. This mix has a lot of classic 2-step stuff http://soundcloud.com/benji-b/groove-chronicles-recorded EZ is the biggest name in the scene and his mix CDs are supposed to be excellent but I'm too cheap to buy them so I can't really say.

Do you mean garage as a whole or just the UK stuff?

Oh yea...I'll check those out, too...as well as the soundcloud link there. I meant Garage as a whole, but I'm sure UK has more of the better stuff.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

...EZ's Pure Garage mixes really take me back. The occassional bit of pure bait stuff in there (hey they were out on Warner's so what do you expect?), but still a load of nice stuff mixed-up. On saying that he did do that Bass, Breaks & Beats mix which was fantastic, full of the darker stuff and that kinda proto-Grime kinda thing.

The thing is UK Garage became a very, very different beast to the original US stuff, so liking one doesn't mean you might like the other.

I mean the UK stuff spawned out of the US stuff sure, and if you look at say, early Nice 'N' Ripe releases, it's close in style but still just that little bit different. Come '95/96 or so you start bringing in the bass more, then you bring in the Jungle more so you end up with the Speed Garage thing which is just light years away from the original American style, and it just got weirder from there!

E: And for some actual useful content, I remembered there was a similar conversation in the old thread, so a quick trawl through the archives I found it. Anyway I had recommended both Azuli Records "Blackmarket Presents 2-Step". The first mixed by Frankie Foncett and the second by Groove Chronicles.

Then check out Locked On records Sound Of The Pirates mixes. Zed Bias did the first while Ed Case did the second.

Start on those four comps for that early 00s 2-step sound.

First link was alright. I appreciate the historical value of the track. Second link, the remix...I was feelin' that one a bit more. Third link...drat nice!

Gonna try to check out those compilations more. I listened to a few tracks off of the Blackmarkets and enjoyed what I heard, so I'm sure I'll like the full package on both of those. Excited to check out the Sound of the Pirates mixes as well!

Mike V - That track you posted is some dope poo poo! Definitely closer to what I like.

JamesKPolk - That live mix was a banger...I love that there's so much use of 90's R&B throwbacks in this style. And to think I'd actually not be driven mad by hearing Brandy and Monica singing "The Boy Is Mine" after hearing it get spammed to hell when it initially came out. drat.

So...There's this fighting game series called "Melty Blood" and in the latest version, "Actress Again" (Japan...that's really all I can say to that), there's this airport stage that has this interesting track called "Raven's Nest". What do y'all think? I was feelin' it when I heard it.

Wish I could find a listenable version of "Neighbourhood 09 (Solution Remix)" for you guys, because I LOVE that version of the song (the El-B version is dope, too.), but alas, no dice.

"Pure Garage" and "Has It Come To This?" by The Streets were my poo poo back when they dropped.

"Believe Me (Nixus Remix)" by Blu Mar Ten is also a personal favorite...

Now, to check out the stuff in the OP, and that DJ EZ mix you dropped.

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 8, 2013

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Never forget how superior bassline is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXX000FwOY

Good loving lord, this is great!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Brand new Reso track dropped today. It's called "The Rugged" and is a free download. Really feelin' it. But why wouldn't I? It's fuckin' Reso.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

He also posted this today: https://soundcloud.com/reso/pause-falsey-reso-remix-out

Which is lovey dovey garage. Which I dig, liked "Shifty" he did with I.D. years ago, and the remix he did of Dom Almond (I think?) that was garagey.

Dope...gotta wait a couple weeks for it to drop for us, though. I'm feelin' it, though.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

I'm gonna see Bicep in Chicago on Friday, should be fun.

How was that? I've never even HEARD of Bicep until I went to Smart Bar last month for one of those Abducted sessions and just so happened to see fliers for them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

http://butterzis3.tumblr.com/

Butterz put out the link today to this Joker/Swindle/Skepta/JME set from the Butterz 3rd Birthday event

Cheese on bread..

And keeping it grimey, Tempz went in on Logan Sama's show the other day over a dope TC4 instrumental.

Everything here is dope as gently caress. Thank you.

• Locked thread