Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

het posted:

This is really awesome, thanks a bunch!

Agreed, definitely like the guide being the first thing people will find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I have to admit I've really been refreshed over the past year or two with how the whole UK Bass thing is going and occasionally I'm like, maybe I should do something again.

Just as a recent internet peer, and based off of our conversation in the dnb thread about E-MU samplers and the "compare & despair" paradigm, I think you should play around with production. I can relate to a lot of the issues you've brought up, and just going off my own experiences, a big break (in my case over five years, what up MMO escapism!) is not detrimental if you want to explore what you can do with the tools you have.

The past several months I have done something daily for my own music endevours, even if it's just reading an article about a minor production technique, or watching a three minute video about someone's production process. It can help get one in to the rhythm of thinking about production

That all said, I'll have some audio up in a couple weeks, a thing using the E-MU I recently bought, but it's dnb. Will probably just chuck it in the dnb thread.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It's great to see you're getting to use the Emu, I was beginning to think you'd consigned it to a closet or something! I'll definitely keep an eye on the D&B thread and see what you come up with.

I had to work out a few different issues. It took a couple weeks in the little spare free time I had, but now it is chugging along. Ended up picking up a couple other things as well, and set my studio up in a new space, which has been a nice source of inspiration. Plus the g/f has a nice chair to lounge in & read while I'm trying to work on music.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

beeps-a-palooza posted:

im playing out in dc this week and want to bring out some future bass/2stepish tunes.

Are there any compilation albums that I should cop(aside from soul jazz future bass)? Maybe some decent ep's I should pick up?

Where are you playing, The Loft?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

beeps-a-palooza posted:

nope, heaven & hell. saturday at 11

Good luck. No idea who is trying to throw a party in Adams Morgan on the weekend, but it's not the kind of crowds you'd expect out for underground music.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

beeps-a-palooza posted:

haha i figured that. i dont normally play in dc, so this should be fun nonetheless

It won't be like playing most DC spots.

I'm opening at U Street Music Hall next week, on Saturday July 23rd. Planning to play a lot of 125-ish stuff to start and then push to about 135 BPM depending on the crowd and how long I get to play. Planning to play a bit of Julio Bashmore, some Doc Daneeka stuff, things off the recent Hackman, Synkro, SBTRKT, George FitzGerald and Jam City releases.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

What about the recent SBTRKT album and that Hessle Audio thing, 116 & Rising (or did you pick that up already? I can't remember), some things on both those that's bound to set even the most Frat brothers and mosher-full of parties alight, which is what I'm going to guess this 'Adam Morgans' club is like?(bear in mind I base my American university/college/school/life experiences solely on a lifetime of watching movies like Animal House, PCU and Revenge Of The Nerds. )

Good suggestions. Adams Morgan is a neighborhood in NW Washington, DC. It has a four block strip that is lined with bars and small clubs, and Thursdays through Saturdays it is a mixed drinking crowd, but there are definitely problems. Just last week video surfaced on line of a cop fist fighting with a guy in the street. There are a few good bars there, I'm just older, don't like the huge crowds and rowdiness on the weekends. You can also buy jumbo slices of pizza there, until about 4AM:

Klute loves to get jumbo slice when he plays gigs here.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

beeps-a-palooza posted:

ive heard u-street's sound is amazing, can you vouch for that?

Easily, but I am biased. It is a treat to play on that system, and I don't want to take gigs anywhere else in the area.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Police Academy 6 posted:

i'm actually moving to washington in a couple months; what can people tell me about the scene there?

There is a good bit of stuff going on nowadays, appeals to a wide range of tastes IMO, but a lot of stuff on weeknights. Here's a Washington, DC scene report / breakdown (can PM me if you want/need more details):
  • Eighty Eight Music - They tend to book shows that feature UK bass/future bass (past bookings: FaltyDL, Ramadanman, Mosca), deeper dubstep (past: Headhunter, XI), a lot of the locals that favor those two styles (I play for them occasionally), and then the book shows that are heavy on the techno and tech house, usually at venues like The Loft:Warehouse, [http://www.ustreetmusichall.com]U Street Music Hall[/url]. They also do a monthly day party at Yards Park, near the National's stadium, and that's usually house and downtempo. They will occasionally book drum'n'bass shows too, similar feel to the bass shows, e.g. the more forward thinking or deep styles. Also they do an annual festival in late March / early April called Forward Fest.

• Steez Promo - These guys are the heavyweight promoters, both in the size of the shows they do, and the styles they focus on. They do a lot of events in DC and Baltimore, they get the younger crowds out, and they use a lot of different venues, usually bigger spaces though.

• 3D Promotions - Smaller than Steez, but similar crowds, but their bookings are a little different, I guess a bit broader. A lot of drum'n'bass and dubstep shows (recent shows: Goth Trad, Distance, Truth, Jakes, 6Blocc, Starkey, Joe Nice, SPL, Antiserum), they tend to do Wednesdays at a venue called Ultrabar, and trying some other venues on the weekend. Shows are often one or two headliners and a lot of locals.

• U Street Music Hall - Incredible sound system, this is a subterranean club on U Street co-owned by Tittsworth, Will Eastman, the ESL guys, fits about 400~500 people. They work with a lot of different promotion groups (88 and Steez do regular events there), and they have monthly residencies that come through (Trouble & Bass, Flashing Lights, Slow Roast Records, Fools Gold Records, Plant Music, etc., plus Nadastrom have a residency night). They also book a lot of their own shows, with a lot of variety. Friday nights are strictly house as well, and not electro-house.

• Buzzlife - This is the forum where a lot of local shows are promoted, a lot of smaller operations or one-offs listed here. They also used to throw Buzz, Sting and Cubik, which were the main weeklies in DC from 1995 until about 2007.

If you just want general DC knowledge/information, check out this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032543

SUBFRIES fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 17, 2011

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

isomerc posted:

808 is love. I just downloaded a huge pack of 808 samples.

Goldbaby packs? They're on my list of stuff to buy eventually.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

At least in a shop there is always a chance you're flick by it in the rack, maybe see a nice cover or recognise the name. You'll get an actual distributer who's interested in selling records and will try work with the store hopefully to get new things in there, "Oh I see you're buying 10 copies of the new album by artist A, why not take 2 of this by this other guy that's similar" Worse case it's returned unsold, but at least you have knowledgeable staff who'll try and punt it.

I loved working in a shop, and hitting the local shops when we had a few that stocked mainly dance music. When you became a regular, good staff could really point out some gems. Plus I made some good friends just from hitting the shops.

As for Med School, they introduced me to Icicle's work years ago.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Symptomless Coma posted:

Just out of interest - what's everyone here using to keep up to date? Apart from this lovely thread, of course :)

I myself am a big follower of Get Some, the blog.

I sent this list to HatchetDown a few months ago:

quote:

I read DSF maybe once or twice a day, but like you've noticed, it's not the easiest source of info to wade through. I check out these pretty often to learn about new stuff:

• FACT Magazine : http://www.factmag.com/
    They usually have two podcasts a week, and if I see a mix by someone I'm in to, I often check out the stuff in their track list. They sometimes post reviews of releases, and occasionally free tunes.

Right now, on the first page of the site they have mixes for Blawan (who apparently has a goon friend, can't remember who posted they knew him & hung out a lot) and French Fries (not really a purist dubstep artist, but I like some of their really bass heavy stuff). So that's a lot of new (or just "new to me") stuff on those mixes.

• XLR8R : http://www.xlr8r.com
    They cover a lot of different electronic music, a lot of free tunes and mixes, and they often do podcasts. Recent one by Kingdom, another by Canblaster. Just tons & tons of tunes.

• Bass Music Blog : http://www.bassmusicblog.com
    I.D. and Baobinga/Skinnz are the two main guys. Definitely worth checking out regularly.

• Knowledge : http://www.kmag.co.uk/
    Used to be a print mag that focused on drum'n'bass and breakbeats, then went totally digitally and covers a bit of other stuff.

• Rinse FM : http://www.rinse.fm
    I grab a few mixes every week from there. You get a good feel for what is current, and what DJs are playing what you're in to.

• Blackdown : http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/
    I don't check this too often, but this guy is a journalist and has a show on Rinse. The blog used to be mostly dubstep and grime, but ofter the past few years it has changed a lot, but it's good for more in-depth interviews, and they tracklist the show they do on Rinse, so a lot of artists to check out.

• Chemical Records : http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/
    Once a week I'll check out the new releases and forthcoming releases. Just load up a bunch of tracks and see what's catching my ear. The forthcoming stuff is a good source, sometimes stuff doesn't get released for months though.

• Boom Kat : http://boomkat.com
    Another record shop that I just check tunes out on.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

Joe Nice stole the show with a classic dubstep set. He opened with Goat Stare, and just threw down classic after classic.

Surprising, in a good way, to hear this. For a while he was very "only playing the latest dubs, once it's released on vinyl it's out of my record box". I think a solid classic set, or a few nods to personal favorites and/or major influences in a long set are a good look.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Caught the Clicks & Whistles guys in DC on Saturday at U Hall, had a great time hearing them play that system. They had a full crowd too, really in to it. I wanted a couple track ID's, but didn't want to run up in the booth for a second time after saying hello.

If any of you have a chance to catch them, do so, fun times.

And if any of you are in DC, I'm playing U Hall this Thursday night.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And also with the States there isn't any excuse nowadays as there are a lot of good producers and DJs over there now, qwako just mentioned a few and there are a lot more. So no expensive Transatlantic flights. get them on whatever the US equivilant of Ryanair is on a ten bob fair, pay them cash and let them sleep on your couch. I bet you the majority will be happy to do it.

I can give some insight on this sort of scenario, if people are interested. I used to throw (mainly) drum'n'bass events in DC from 1999 until 2003, which was about the time that US dnb producers were getting some recognition from other pockets of the international scene. Lots of stories about offering up my couch (UFO! was a fairly frequent house guest in 2002), crashing on couches myself, road trips from DC to NY, even TeeBee sleeping on the couch in my mom's basement one weekend, just to help out a booking agent friend. And then the whole event production & promotion side of it.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I think this would be really cool to hear more of. Plus you know how I love stories.

Ok cool. It's not so much stories, although there are a few I could go in to. This is long, people can skip to the end, I'll try to tl;dr the key points.

First off, I used to be in a DJ crew called The Step Syndicate, which was seen in DC as a second wave of drum'n'bass DJs in the scene, although there were a few others who were getting booked or involved in events. At our peak, we had six DJs and an MC, and total there were nine DJs that had ever been part of the crew at one time or another. We already had a very established crew called 2 Tuff, who threw or were involved in almost all things dnb here, from '94 and in the past few years they have been getting very active again. In '99 we go involved with a short lived weekly event, I think it lasted a month and we had made some mistakes but also learned a bit about promotion and dealing with booking out of town talent. I can't remember if it was 1999 still, or 2000, but we threw a one-off at a large club and had a few UK DJs as the headliners (Stakka, Skynet and Frenzic from Atmosphere/ATM magazine).

In December of 1999 I started an email list serv called DCDNB, and it was focused strictly on DC area dnb events, and getting people in the area in touch. A lot of contacts and exchange happened, and I think it even linked up a few producers who went on to release some tunes (Sinthetix / Rob F & Impulse, Submerged, Corrupt Souls, Telemetrik, Accela, Kiko). It also created a rallying point in 2000 to create a weekly event called Act Your Age; initially it was four or five of us from different crews working together to throw an event. One guy scouted out venues (we started in the basement of an Ethiopian restaurant), the rest of us contacting locals for the DJ rotations (usually three DJs in a night), we tapped another DJ to do our flier design (this eventually changed to a local designer showcase before we settled on another designer to regularly do our monthly fliers), and we all split the time to promote the event at other local events, and we all helped with equipment load in, set up and breakdown at the end of the night.

The event went through three night changes (Wednesdays to Saturdays, then back to Wednesdays), two venue changes, and the concept of the party changed as we started to generate revenue and take chances on booking headliners. We started out with regional headliners, like Daniel (now of L.A. Riots) from NC, a few other NC DJs, a few Richmond DJs (I think Will Miles and Kjell), and a lot of PA DJs (Karl K, Sine, pretty much all of the bigger names from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia). After a few months and word of our party getting around to some booking agents, we got an offer to book DJ Lee from Metalheadz at a super low price for a Saturday; his U.S. agency needed to fill a gap in their tour. I lost $200 at the end of the night, but that was nothing, and I think taking that risk resulted in the party pushing forward.

I guess after about 5 or 6 months, we moved to a much larger club that had all of its own equipment. We also booked headliners (national & international touring dnb DJs) nearly every week, and often times our party was the DC debut for a lot of the talent. It also helped me network, and so on top of the Sinthetix guys exploding (and me having nearly all of their music on dubplates --- don't get me started on the regret of paying nearly $50 per plate to have those cut), I was getting a lot of material from other U.S. producers, and I was getting booked to play out of town a lot. Almost no notable material of my own (a couple collabs with more established people), and I was getting flown around occasionally just to mix music at parties. And the party was still getting a great turn out, our designer was getting a lot of buzz about his work, we were occasionally booking a second room that featured house, breaks and 2-step, even doing the occasional main room swap with a "bizzaro Act Your Age" theme, and we even secured a corporate sponsor, Circa Footwear, but that happened right at the end of the life of the event when all of us working on the party decided a management change at the venue we used was the death knell for the event.

After all of that, some newer DJs in the scene started to throw very solid parties, plus the existing promoters were booking a lot more dnb, and at a few points you could almost find a dnb event every night of the week for well over a year. The next event I got involved in was with Tittsworth and Matt Nordstrom (both were big in to dnb when they first started playing out in DC), plus two other friends of ours. We had investors, a new club, and a Saturday night. That party only lasted three months due to the investors squandering their money on a second night and backing out of our event after the first month. In the end of that run, we had actually made about $200, and had headliners every week, again a lot of U.K. (Friction, Storm, drawing a blank on who else) and big U.S. talent (Sage, Juju). I went on to "consult" for another new promoter in DC over the next year, and they threw four or five massives with dnb line-ups that I hand picked (Klute, Hive, a Virus tour, Marcus Intalex), and I made a bit of money off of those.

After those gigs though I got out of throwing events, I found it too stressful and I often took one more than I should have, when I should of learned how to delegate and ask for help. I just wanted the best possible events within my means, giving the local scene a chance to hear what I thought was forward-thinking music, while also giving the headliners a knowledgeable crowd to play to. And all during this, there were lots of other events in town and 30 miles north in Baltimore where headliners were playing as well.

tl:dr

From my experience booking shows & pushing dnb in DC:
  • Find people to work with, who are as in to the style of music as you are.
  • Understand the budget & risks of throwing a party.
  • Start small and understand any "costs/benefits" of the venue you use (e.g. paying for security, meeting a bar minimum, charge a cover if you need to, find out if you get a percentage of bar sales).
  • Make your promotional material visually appealing, even still with almost no hand to hand flyering done, have a good looking promo image, or even a solid logo or branding for the event.
  • Promoting the party isn't the only thing. Promote the music, promote yourself, promote the artists you are booking. If the scene becomes aware of what's out there beyond big names X, Y and Z, you'll build to a point where you can book obscure DJ ABC, and your crowd is going to come out in force. It takes some time, but it works.
  • Communicate with the people that go to the parties, book an opening slot for the local kid a bunch of them know if you think that kid is going to draw out supporters for an early slot. And communicate with other promoters in town and out of town, sometimes you can catch breaks because of a tour they've been offered.

I think there is a lot more I could go in to details on, just kind of throwing stuff out there that I experienced. And honestly, if I was in better financial shape and had some more free time, I'd probably throw a monthly event.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Wow a great and helpful post. Future US promoters should be writing this down!

So you mentioned a lot of newer promoters and DJs starting up nights after yours. Do you think they would've done it if it wasn't for you and your guys taking the initiative and doing it yourself first and showing them it could be done? Do you think they'd have been anywhere near as successful as they were(in relative terms I guess) if it wasn't for you and the guys who were there even before you?

I like to think the Act Your Age event was a catalyst, but there was also a big Sunday weekly that had been around a year before but focused more on jump-up & scratching, with the occasional "WOAH, they booked WHO?!?!?" nights. So the influence of that night and the one I was involved with, and the advice we'd share, I think all of that combined to help newer events. Things like which booking agencies to contact, what tours were coming up, even little things like buying a round of drinks for the regular party goers we'd see out all the time.

I'd like to think the stuff I was involved in helped establish some better practices (just based on knowledge & experience with some, but not all, of the other promoters), like taking care of the local DJs with some money, as well as having the headliners fee BEFORE the door even opened.

And on top of all the party stuff, I would reallllllly like to see a bass music focused record shop open back up in the city, one that catered to my tastes in music. I would want it to be a space that was a suitable hang out, could serve as a showcase of sorts for artists (in-store appearances, even in-store shows & installs by visual artists), and still had product that generated enough cash flow to stay open and generate revenue as well. In 2001-2002 I was working part time in record shop, so I would see a lot of locals coming in the shop, I tried to keep promo releases in the hands of who was playing out at the time (I didn't like the whole "I called the shop to hold the white label until I can come by to buy it, but I don't have any gigs for the next few months" attitude of some people). The shop did in-stores, but the stock was like 50% hip-hop, 30% drum'n'bass and 20% house, with little interaction between the people that bought all of that.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And be honest, you may regret the dubplates now but I bet you had no regrets back then and thought "yeah I'm the dogs bollocks" eh!? Don't lie to me now!

I thought I was so tech because I had dubs. There were sets where it was almost 75% dubs, 20% promos, and crowd response was out of control. All of them were cut through U.S. cutting houses, I never quite got to the point of having a Music House dub, which was the gold standard then. I still have a couple things that never go released, either due to samples or labels just dissolving. Once I switched to playing stuff off CDs, the whole wait & cost of dubs just seemed ridiculous. I was also paying off major credit card debt around that time, so there was some guilt & regret at play.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

qwako posted:

Luke Envoy

I wish this guy was putting out more music.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

If you liked that Doc Daneeka also has a couple of singles and EPs on Ramp/Pattern you should check out if you haven't already. Some bits are more Housey while some are more Techno-y, but they're all a nice set of releases either way.

Doc Daneeka has some good tunes, led me to getting in to Breach (Ben Westbeech's bassier alias). LE0N you might like some of Hackman's stuff too.

On the housier side, I like some of the Eats Everything tunes I just started checking out.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Juju

Martyn

Nick Argon

Metro-esque(was that Matrix's brother who did that artwork again?)

Juju, as long as I've known him (since 2001-ish?), has been a big dub fan. Also a big punk fan too. Lost touch with him for a while, but his kids were getting bigger, and he was starting to surf a lot more. Also, for anyone on the whole "ooh, I'm too old to get in to producing" sentiment, I think he was about 34 or 35 when he first started producing.

Martyn lives in the DC area, and rarely plays here. I think the last time I saw him play was almost three years ago, in Baltimore, and I've maybe seen him on two line-ups in DC since then. A shame too.

Nick booked me to play at a huge warehouse rave in Oakland, back in 2000. Really nice guy, would play his radio show in Santa Cruz whenever I was in the Bay area. He had some high calibre dnb guests on there too, I played the show once with Stakka & Skynet. Lost touch with him for years, but it was cool to see him re-establish the label and develop it. Some great releases on it.

And the third Quinn brother is The Plainclothesman. I'm not sure if he was a designer or a photographer. I think the Metro and early Virus sleeves were designed by Jon Black at Magnet Design, using photographs by Plainclothesman. The standard, early Virus sleeve is one of my favorite designs.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

g posted:

Hai guys.

I made this a few months back. I had decided that when I hit 500 facebook fans, I would give it out for free. Being that I recently hit that number, it's now available as a free download on Soundcloud (until it reaches 100 downloads)

http://soundcloud.com/nautiluss/needyou

Wow, great stuff on your (short) page. "Bleu Monday" especially, has a warm blanket feel to it. Kind of hard to explain.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

g posted:

Thanks man. That one is still available on vinyl. Dunno where you are at but you can find it on the usual suspects (juno, boomkat, hardwax, rush hour, etc).

edit: just saw you are in DC. I actually have no idea how many copies were shipped to the US nor where they ended up. (there was only 500 pressed to begin with)

Vinyl shopping in DC is tough, partly why I went digital years ago. I do pick up the odd release, but usually from UK shops. I really like the Hemlock vinyl because of the house sleeves, and seen Untold play here twice. Surus probably has copies still.

Did a little poking around too, turns out I have the Bassanova stuff too. Your Gzilla mixes look good too, lots of stuff I listen to and play. Will keep an eye out for more of your stuff! I'm opening for Switch in two weeks, at U Hall in DC. Was supposed to include Matt from Nadastrom, but he had to cancel because of a Scion tour he's doing.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

So is this brostep and if it isn't what category does it fall under?
http://hypem.com/artist/Feed%20Me%20%28feat.%20Hadouken%29

Brostep, but well engineered / produced. Feed Me is also known as Spor, if you're familiar with drum'n'bass at all.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Anae posted:

That would be Kasra. I'm actually pretty excited by that - Critical puts out some of the small amount of d&b I still really like, and Kasra is a fantastically good talent-spotter. He's the guy who first picked up on both Rockwell and Hybris and gave them their first releases.

Co-signing Anae on the Kasra endorsement.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

thepopstalinist posted:

Monkeytown is getting really quite busy.

I think more labels are following suit, doing LPs and compilations, and Monkeytown is one of the ones really pushing forward with artist LPs lined up already. I think Tectonic is another good example.

In the drum'n'bass market, dBridge has several LPs signed for Exit (Loxy & Resound soon, another Consequence LP, who knows what else), and one the more dancefloor side of the spectrum, nearly every label exclusive artist for Ram Records mentions their upcoming LP that they're working on (e.g. Culture Shock, Wilkinson, DC Breaks, Loadstarr, etc.).

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Kind of a stretch and totally not the right thread for this I'm sure, but do any of you know the house tunes in this video clip (house crew dance battle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLHZDyU7Cw

Some of it might be considered funky? IDK, might be deep house, not too schooled on that stuff, although I like Maya Jane Coles tunes.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I had a pair of the Sennheisers, the model below the HD25s, and loved them. Totally modular design, so if a part breaks you can just buy that replacement piece.

Also, no luck on the track IDs above?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I'm looking for some more bass heavy, dancey 120-130 BPM tunes like the following. I guess these are technically closer to house but I've seen these names come up in the thread before:

Martyn - Friedrichstrasse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pv2fOFBiJs
Cosmin TRG - Twilight Riddim - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahU-ndn6HoA
Emvee - Rat Race Riddim - http://redeyerecords1.co.uk/sounds/mp3/21951b.mp3

I've got the Bashmore tunes on this page and those are great as well.

Check out Breach, Eats Everything, Doc Daneeka. The HardHouse Banton EP on Greenmoney is good too, played two tracks off of it this weekend, great reaction from the crowd.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

So I'm taking up the "build a scene" flag again, after being asked to do a "future bass" event by a club I really respect, but in a new micro-club venue that they are doing bookings for. 50 person capacity but good sound, a good bar, and there will be a new DJ booth; the club that booked me has my favorite booth to play in, so I'm excited to see how this turns out. They want to focus on "an alliance to build electronic acts and foster their development".

I'll have a new mix or two up to promote the night, will be sure to post. It's my two sets from opening & closing for Switch this past Saturday night.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Dopo posted:

That sounds like a hell of an opportunity. Congrats, man.

Thanks! Hopefully I don't burn myself out trying to do everything with the events myself, which I have done in the past. The space is good for this sort of project, and if it builds a following, the larger club will become an option for any headliner nights.

a milk crime posted:

Amen. I will def tell my DC area friends what is up.

And keep sending me tunes! What you've been doing lately will fit the format. I should of grabbed some of the Chump Change stuff too, ended up playing a couple Phillip D. Kick stuff at the end of my set the other night.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

Speaking of Distance, J:Kenzo, and Vivek, I've actually discovered the minimal side of dubstep in the past two months and I've heavily gotten into it. However, outside of Rinse.FM, Tempa, and Deep Medi labels, I don't really know where else to look to find other artists similar to the Deep Medi sound. Anyone got any recommendations for similar artists?

Also, I'd kill to actually find a loving minimalist dubstep show anywhere in my area. I'm not even sure if anyone in this scene even listens to it, let alone play it, and because I don't have CDJs or a DVS, it's unlikely that I'll be able to play out any time soon.

For the darker side of that sound, check out these blogs: http://trusikdubstep.tumblr.com/ (more of the established names, some interviews) and http://makeitgood.tumblr.com/ (more of the up & coming names, a lot of interviews, mixes). I don't check youtube.com too often for stuff, usually stick to record shops & soundcloud, but saw http://www.youtube.com/youngstadubs yesterday, and they do a good job of highlighting clips from Youngsta's Rinse FM show.

Also, when I write tunes at 140, I seem to go towards this sound.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Live recording from when I opened for Scottie B an Switch in DC. Kind of on the slower side of UK bass, but a lot of familiar names. I closed the party too, that was more of the rowdy stuff (Seiji, Canblaster, Redlight, etc.), but they didn't get that recorded.

Download: http://soundcloud.com/tittsteam/harry-ransom-opening-uhall-11

Track list:
01. Renaissance Man – “Nikolai Kopeloi” (Turbo)
02. Bok Bok & Tom Trago- “Vector” (Sound Pellegrino)
03. Ikonika – “World on Mute” (Adult Swim – [unclassified] LP)
04. Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka – “Creeper” (Fifty Weapons
05. Jam City – “Waterfalls” (Night Slugs)
06. Will Saul & Mike Monday – “Sequence 1″ (AUS Music)
07. The Analogue Cops & Blawan – “Good Stuff” (Restoration)
08. Mosca – “Jager” (3024)
09. Roska – “Do You Believe (MA1 Remix)” (Roska Kicks & Snares)
10. Koyote – “Night Train (Marble Players Remix)” (Mixpak Records)
11. Worthy – “Bomba (Eats Everything Remix)” (Southern Fried Records)
12. DJ Ayres & Nadastrom – “Liberation” (T&A Records)
13. Bok Bok & Tom Trago – “Pom Clash” (Sound Pellegrino)
14. Mosca – “Wray & Neph” (3024)
15. Eats Everything – “The Size” (dirtybird)
16. ???
17. HardHouse Banton – “Miss You” (Greenmoney Recordings)
18. DJ Zinc – “Because” (Bingo Bass)
19. Breach & T. Williams – “2 Bob Note” (PTN)
20. Martyn – “We Are You In The Future” (Brainfeeder)

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

That was a very good chill mix perfect for the rain and cold tonight, good job.

Thanks! I wish I had the closing set recorded too, nice contrast because of how frantic & aggy it got, compared to opening where I was building things up.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Here's something fun, Baobinga playing dark garage and breakstep!

http://wearecrazylegs.com/2011/12/06/crazylegs-009-baobingas-breakstep-brukout/

I have maybe five of those tunes :|

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Styliferous posted:

In case anyone on the western side of the Atlantic missed it, Skreamizm Vol. 6 dropped on Monday, and to celebrate, Tempa has released Skreamizms 1-5 on digital format for $11 total, which is great for people in the States like me who don't have an electronic music record shop within 100 miles.

Apparently re-presses of Skreamizms 1-5 are also in record shops in the UK now as well.

Vol. 4 is probably some of my favorite tunes by Skream.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Hah you can always spot the ex-D&B folk. Honestly kids nowadays, complain about everything! Why in my day...

Metalheadz Tin Box set :colbert:

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I've only got the CD version, I'm such a fraud! :negative: I'll close down the thread now and commit harikari so as not to shame my family even more.

Wait hang on a minute! It's a good job I checked Discogs before getting out the ol' katana, that's not just one cut per side! Wait does that mean I win? Was there something to win? Man I'm confused now. Neptune and Warrior Jazz do get a side to themselves though, the latter really does deserve it.

Either way it does remind me if I ever start a record label(like I wish I did years ago when I ended up with some extra cash on my hands) some poo poo will be released in a metal box.

I haven't pulled it off the shelf in a while, but I thought the dnb tunes were single sided, while the non-dnb stuff was two per side?

Also, in the states there used to be a mixed tape company called Bulletproof, based out of Pittsburgh (which was a major part of dnb in the U.S. with their Steel City Jungle weekly that ended in '99). Anyways, their packaging was a custom cardboard case they had a cut or something made. They did a limited edition release in '97 or '98 that was a Dieselboy mixtape called 'The Director's Cut', in a tiny metal tin, and included an old school movie ticket. A year or two later they did a promo package for DJ Sine, which was a Krylon can with a Bulletproof logo, a mixtape and then a mini pantone book with Sine's bio info, plus MC Dub2's info.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Maguro posted:

EDIT: Do any of you dudes know of any must-see clubs or parties in Berlin from Dec. 18th to Jan 9th? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to clubs in Germany but I do enjoy the Berlin sound...

a milk crime posted:

I'm going to be in Berlin hopefully on New Years Eve.

When I went to Berlin about seven or eight years ago (can't remember), I went to Watergate, which was dope. There was another club that was more of a locals thing, was called Basstard. Not sure if it's still around. And I'd love to go to Berghain someday, but no idea when I'll get to Europe. And if I do, it's probably a trip to Belgium at the top of the itinerary.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

My friends want to go see them but I'd rather stay in the Bass Hall to see Diplo, Excision and Flux.

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe the next few days.

Same to you & the rest of you lot.

(Ok, ok, no more British slang out of me.)

I've got about four hours of cooking ahead of me today, mixes to keep things moving in the kitchen, but I also treated myself to a plug-in and got CamelPhat while it's still on sale. Off work all next week, will see if I get anything good going in the studio with all the free time.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I mentioned the drum'n'bass mix was coming over in the dnb thread, but here's the dubstep mix. A group of my friends run a weekly webcast / podcast series called Expansion Broadcast, which features drum'n'bass, dubstep and what has been labeled on our blog (and in DC in general) "future bass", which is what the U.K. just calls bass music. The past few years we've done an end of year series with top fives from all of our resident DJs and hosts, and a few of our good friends, but this year the boss wanted to just do a showcase for each segment of our music programming. The usuals sent their top fives, and then a DJ was tasked with compiling those in to a quick mix.

So here is the EXBC 2011 dubstep favorites, compiled from myself, Refugee, Whizeguy, Hootie B and IllEffect, and then mixed by me.

EXBC Podcast 386: Best Dubstep Tunes of 2011
link: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/386/

Jay 5ive & Kromestar – "Hands In The Air"
Johnny Osbourne – "Fally Ranking (V.I.V.E.K. Remix)"
Akkachar – "Around Driouch"
Icicle – "Redemption (ft Robert Owens)"
Pinch & Roska – "Paranormal Activity"
Teeth – "CNT"
King Midas Sound – "Tears (Kiki Hitomi Revoice)"
Girl Unit – "Wut"
Distal & Mayhem – "Frozen Barnacles"
Ruckspin – "Shikra"
Objekt – "Tinderbox"
Tunnidge – "Ghost Dance"
Seven & Elvee – "Crime Doesn’t Pay"
D1 – "Bleeps to Broadway"
Pampidoo – "Synthesizer Voice (Goth-Trad Remix)"
Goth-Trad – "Sublimation"

-----
And here's the future bass / UK bass mix, compiled from myself, IllEffect, Refugee and Hyun, and mixed by Refugee:

EXBC Podcast 385: Best Future Bass Tunes of 2011
link: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/385/

EVM 128 - "Groove Content"
Echo Park - "Fiber Optic (Jon Convex’s Love Transmission Remix)"
Martyn - "Masks"
Harddrive - "Deep Inside (Pearson Sound Remix)"
Julio Bashmore - "Battle For Middle You"
Blawan - "Getting Me Down"
Girl Unit - "Wut (Claude Von Stroke’s Undressed Remix)"
George Fitzgerald - "Reset"
Sepalcure - "Me"
Mosca - "Bax"
LV feat. Joshua Idehen - "Primary Colours (Extended Remix)"
Unknown - "Sicko Cell"
Instra:Mental - "When I Dip"
Ramadanman Vs. SX - "Woo Glut"
Addison Groove - "This Is It"
Breton - "RDI (Girl Unit Remix)"
Teeth - "Shawty"
Ratcliffe - "Mindset"
Machinedrum - "Fantastix"
Africa HiTech - "Out In The Streets"
Leviticus - "The Burial (Phillip D. Kick Footwork Re-Edit)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

a milk crime posted:

Well, in Frankfurt, the local record store was having a 50% off everything sale today. It was wonderful.

Related: http://lockerz.com/s/163035237

• Locked thread