Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Ok that basically covered everything you could have wanted in the mainstream hardcore sense except maybe Awesome 3 - Don't Go which felt like it was the biggest of all (played in like EVERY set that i've heard). Now it'll be interesting to see the other side of things,cause there's too much to cover.

Acen was definitely dark stuff, and from what i read in surprisingly some random Amazon comments is that it was about a girl called Faustine he was with.

When Faustine and Acen were still together, his music retained the ethereal and dreamy quality I had come to love. On the night that Acen found Faustine in a drug-induced coma outside Ministry of Sound, he came to my house in Leicester Square and recorded Window in the Sky in Faustine's memory. I sang the vocals. Yes, that night, Faustine had passed through the window in the sky and entered another dimension of New Beat, a dimension in which Acen and I were not welcome. Their relationship ended soon after Faustine awoke in the hospital. It was hard for Acen to accept the fact that Faustine was no longer the carefree little girl from Rotterdam we had all grown to love. She was now distant and cold, always dancing by herself or with her pet owl in the balcony of Camden Palace. I think Acen's pain is reflected in much of the tracks on 75 Minutes, especially Window in the Sky. ---Chippewa von Furstenberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I dunno about the fluffy writing and who that guy is but Acen's breakup with that girl is definite fact and he's said it's affected the music from the time. It always felt to me Acen's music and particularly 1993 releases were much more emotionally charged than the other music of the time; stuff like SMD 1 which was just total impersonal dancefloor bangers.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 22, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Managed to get another test press today from Butterz, this time it's HDR005 from Danjah's label though. Still pretty sweet. Looks like im gonna spend a lot of money again this week.

I just wish i could get around to selling some of the less than decent stuff i got to pay for new records. I got lots of new only played once records i need to get rid of, but it's such a hassle dealing with discogs and the like, i don't have the time. Is there any regular vinyl seller here in the UK who would work out a bulk deals for the ones i don't want maybe? A lot is straight up 2011 stuff probably easy to sell. I don't mind losing a couple of quid on those.

I don't want to be dropping down to a quid-a-record prices when it's acutally good records played only once (basically bought them to rip for other people).

Edit: ah not surprised thepopstalinist got one straight away too :p

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Even when they do, a lot of people prefer a decent vinyl rip. There's a few reasons rather than just nostalgia, It still gives some added reason to buy the vinyl yourself for a start, there's zero reason to purchase a digital once you have it. And a vinyl rip isn't lost amongst the one-click download digital-only label lineup of complete poo poo, there's geniunely quality control for it to get on a record in the first place.

There's also tradition... everyone into dnb knows the ripping group sour, they did everything, and basically proved vinyl-ripping was a valuable promotion tool for DnB. You could rely on something done by then as a benchmark straight away (and they even rated it musically themselves in nfo's). Now instead of waiting for a real quality group rip which is a piece of work, now its just WHEREZ DA 320 and people posting massive lists of mostly poo poo digi's. Digital doesn't even do better for sales than records, infact it has absolutely pathetic sales figures. People sharing 320's seconds after they go on sale is no promotion effect or any good effect at all.

I loving hate the 'digital revolution'. Now sour is on the slide and genres like house are already completely hosed in that regard, flooded among total crap every day. Digital codes when you buy a vinyl, that's fair and a nice bonus which i like. Digital releases aren't working as originally intended except for maybe the top few on beatport. Those people STILL would have sold more vinyl or CD back in the day and made more money.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 23, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Azure_Horizon posted:

as not a particularly huge fan of dubstep, I found myself absolutely enthralled to find out about jazzstep, and have been listening to a bit of Silkie:

The Horizon

Jazz Dubstep

So good. I love it.

You actually like ACTUAL dubstep. Sorry if it hurts your credibility or something.

Btw i hadn't of Kastle at all until i bought that latest EP, it's outstanding work. Silkie's album's out today and i'm not sure how much new work is on it compared to just a compilation of the City Limits but it should be interesting. Plus i think SBTRKT has an album out today or next Monday as well.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
BR009 with Silkie and Swindle has gotta be siiiiick. I don't care so much for BR008 though not too much of a fan of Trim but i like to see Mr Mitch getting some vinyl love with his superior remix.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 27, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I have to agree about James Blake, i didn't understand the hype really. It seemed totally deliberately marketed to a certain crowd without the actual substance behind it. Look at that latest cover on boomkat or something. What pretentious nonsense honestly is this. But next week does look good for releases besides that.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 3, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
You didn't include the 'Did Charly kill rave?" bit did you? Since it was kinda big turning point.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's a new album called Pursuit Grooves - Frantically Hopeful which might be just the kinda sound she's looking for, that's a female artist with a lot of her own vocals. I think she makes the songs at least. It's not bass but there's also always Jenna G who's had an album and contributed on many tracks, dubstep ones as well probably i just can't remember the names of them.

The focus is never really heavily the vocals though is the problem. Let us know her response to some of the suggestions.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
16-18 girls who listen to hardstyle? What kind of hardstyle is this that's REALLY pop friendly? Even the vocal melody based stuff stuff is quite... hard. I have trouble thinking of many hardstyle tracks that would appeal to that audience.

Why would you play bass music of any kind to that audience. Play electro-style RnB that's all popular these days if you must play 'electronic'. Stuff like Chris Brown - Beautiful People.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 8, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
No Renegade Snares?

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Use boomkat!

Anyway i got the new Old Apparatus on Medi and it's gone in a weird direction now that's for sure. You guys should listen and see cause it's not what i expected.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Yeah it's actually been my favorite release recently and i picked it up totally randomly cause it wasn't even in the bass section of Boomkat iirc. I prefer it to Hyetal's album.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/future-dubstep/id445061320

Dubstep of the future. We're here. Can someone with iTunes actually buy this cause i'm really curious. Considering how obviously copyright infringing it is i'm sure we can share it.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 28, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I only posted that cause it seemed notably bad and funny track choices, like what the gently caress. It's a bit of a lower level of poo poo than your usual Beatport digital only label stuff.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's alot of new stuff out today you should buy. Like the Phaeleh LP.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Not much of a week for releases is it? Very slow compared to last week.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I was surprised to see this pop up on Boomkat too, like i hadn't heard anything about it. Not listened to it properly yet but i like what i've heard. Also a fan of a lot of Hospital's earlier broken beat stuff, although i wasn't aware it was even classed as this when i listened. Now they have this one sound only basically, kinda sad. The Med School sublabel wasn't as interested as i hoped mostly.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

JamesKPolk posted:

Trim- I Am Test Presses in the Butterz store as "Here"

Well spotted. My paypal account is frozen though ugh. Least i've got it in my cart now and will work out a way to buy it.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Think i will go..

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
How about residentadvisor too? It's more than bass but they review a lot of the releases associated with the uk bass scene.

Edit: oops i didn't see new page and it's mentioned right away

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't even understand the American audience in regards to dance music. Previously the complaint heard the most that 'techno is all repetitive', then of all the possibilities midrange dubstep, electro-house and Deadmau5 is the only thing that gains any popularity? Marketing/exposure must be the problem, if you introduce fans of this stuff to other things i find people generally receptive; they just have no will to go out of their way and find anything else on their own.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Gamest Mook posted:

Wow the comments on that video. I've been saying this for a bit now but it seems like 'future bass' or whatever is becoming the new IDM to a certain sector of its audience. I'd expect to see more and more bleep bloop, "headphone listening" (scare quotes because I find this kind of thing less interesting than dancefloor stuff regardless of setting) stuff from now on.

But this is more like just a Burial thing, i mean his last collab was with Four Tet after all and that was ages ago now. I suppose you should include James Blake too but other stuff going under the future bass/garage term is still more dancey and not IDM, in my opinion at least.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
poo poo, there was a new test press? Got the last few and missed this one.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
They've just sent me that D.O.K single for free twice with other orders i made. Also Air Bubble Remixes which is a nice record.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Joker uses the SoR 2 Stage 1 track as a set opener quite often. He puts in some nice old grime tracks too like Pulse X and Bongo.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's dumb to call actual dubstep dubstep at this point unfortunately because most people get a wrong idea of what you mean. The scene is too varied at this point anyway so a catch-all bass term is better, even for the old stuff. I feel like there's a lot more not-scrictly-dubstep releases than dubstep in stores like chemical-records.

And yeah for most DnB producers it's totally a bandwagon thing and just an easy formula to copy for a B-side remix, Marytn and a few other exceptions aside. DnB itself is just poor at the moment in my opinion... some of the autonomic stuff is good but what else is there.

Speaking of weird chart tracks wasn't there some garage/grime tunes made on Music 2000 on the PlayStation that charted?

Dubstep is definitely a novelty thing in North America; like what happened with Happy Hardcore and DnB on a different scale thanks to the internet mostly i guess. Can anyone seriously imagine a lasting scene of this sound staying around for long? How many variations on these midrange heavy tracks can there be, not to mention how long will it seriously hold peoples interest. Maybe a DnB revival could be the next fad, people like going up in BPM after a while to be even more crazy.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 2, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Firaga: are you in Australia by any chance? I guess the popularity of hard dance music as the main form of electronic meant that the obvious form of dubstep to be popularized would be the perceived hard dance version of it. You even got those gimmicky dubstyle tracks directly tying to do it. I'm familiar with the hardstyle/uk hardcore scenes and the former at least (latter not so much) has had problems with variety in my opinion; in the last few years because it's all being made from the same formula and heavily using the same Headhunterz style sound. But none of it even was as limited as this midrange dubstep formula.

I think the very large popularity is a result of improved social networking, and electro-house and Daft Punk was the first example. Even on this forum you had like a million people pop up who suddenly loved them. Despite them not even seeming particularly relevant anymore here.

28 Gun Bad Boy you have a good point about releases. It's just completely different in a lot of places so fads are just of one particular sound then die off. But it doesn't help that the dance music that is commonly enjoyed in NA and wherever else is totally limited in scope. I don't know what direction midrange can take, i guess into Korn super horrible poo poo zone and not related to dance music for the best.

But the term dubstep is well and truly gone i'm afraid it's impossible to actually explain or convince people.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's too much total poo poo out there due to digital that simply floods genres making it hard to find whats truly good if you're not familiar with the genre already. For bass it's not as bad because you can just stick to established labels and artists if you do buy digi. But i really recommend people buying vinyl just to support the scene even if you don't play it in that medium. It doesn't cost that much and it feels very rewarded as opposed to just buying a lot of worthless mp3's.

The Bass scene is getting quite bad for the simple fact they are not putting enough emphasis on the vinyl releases. Like in some cases the digital is a few weeks BEFORE the vinyl... why? All i hear is that digital doesn't even sell much in the first place yet they go out of their way to make it released as soon as possible. My ideal situation would be just release it after a set time, like a month. And keep at least 1 exclusive on vinyl. The one nice change is getting a free CD or download code along with LP's.. only costs like 2 quid more. That's a very nice incentive.

I'd love for more people to get involved in buying physical releases, you'll soon see the fun. And you still got quite a lot of value in them too if you ever want to resell. I got Julio Bashmore - Everybody Needs A Theme Tune at it's release in January for the normal price, around 7 pounds. Now it's up on discogs going for 80 pounds.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's been a good day, the Mosca EP is good and the Lowtec release.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
The LP releases which come with the CD too really is a great idea. I don't care much about download codes, they are ok i guess, but the CD/LP packages are excellent. The difference in price is so small it's always worth buying. Like Sepalcure LP shipping today, i would have got if the LP included CD. But it's separate unfortunately.

And if you're into this genre or most electronic in general i don't see why you'd rely on streams as your main source; it reminds me of when people buy from grey area Russian sites for dirt cheap (not so much now but in the past) then defend it as being legal. You might as well not do it at all because its doing gently caress all for the artists. It's really not expensive to buy physical releases, at the very least the stuff you like most; not to mention it keeps some resale value.

A good release to buy this week would be Julio Bashmore - Everybody Needs A Theme Tune, which was repressed as PMR001B after it's original release in January became extremely popular and sold out very quickly. It was going for up to 70 quid on discogs. It's probably my favourite release this year. The repress is straight to number 1 on chemical-record's sales chart, rare that something is so sought after.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 18, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Joker's essential mix tracklist looks a bit boring compared to his livesets.. hopefully it's mixed interestingly at least.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Speaking of DMZ there's a new Coki promo out on there apparently, not heard it yet though.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
http://soundcloud.com/mixmag-1/motw-swindle-silkie

Swindle & Silkie - Unlimited
Silkie - New York City
Swindle - Pineapple
Emile Sande - Heaven (Silkie remix)
Swindle & Stinkahbell - Out of the Blue
Silkie - Hold Your Head Up High
Swindle - Ringworm
Silkie & Distal & Mite - There's Something About Daisy
Swindle - Do the Jazz
Silkie - Untitled
Swindle - 1028
Silkie - Untitled
Swindle - Belfast
Silkie - Grudge
Swindle - Ignition feat. Footsie & Nadia Suliman
Silkie - Underground
Swindle - Moodswings vs Jodeci - Freakin You
Silkie - Birth
Swindle - Forest Funk
Silkie - Maybe Baby
Swindle - Guitar Hero
Herbie Handcock - Just Around the Corner

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I thought it was supposed to be in 2011 as their final release of the year but now they just say 'soon'.. late January probably as a guess from how long previous releases took. Hopefully early copies turn up on the Butterz store again.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't even remember that kind of thing being on any sleeves this year (King Midas Sound had a woman blowing bubbles i guess)... say it's quite common is just blatantly false; only a few genres ever did it like hardcore where it sort of made sense at least as lots of women go to hardcore events looking like the women on the covers. The article is based on a a comment by Scuba and youtube videos having unrelated images to make people click them in the related videos section. How the gently caress does that stretch out to some inequality in dance music.

In the genre which does have females on the covers it also has a large female following at events. While obviously there must have been some intention to draw attention to the covers with the women it's not simply for the sake of it, the fashion is connected to the genre.. they don't put them on dnb albums (as far as i remember). The only other thing i can think of that even does it is the Hed Kandi series and it seems like more its become just a sort of iconic design. I just had a look and MoS do it on others but it doesn't seem ever particularly out of the theme, ie: Ibiza they would do but trance compilations they wouldn't.

If there's one thing to actually go on a rant about it'd be the music videos i guess. So i guess this may be a sexist generalization but iff there's any reason women are under-representing the scene, to me it just seems like they are more passive with regards to music and getting involved.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 18, 2011

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I found it funny people on reddit complaining it's not real dubstep.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
So i listened to the new Skrillex EP, cause i figure you should probably listen before slating it at every opportunity. Overdone subject i know but i hear people say he's actually a good producer for some reason. The midrange tracks sound like stuff done 3 years ago simply. Tons of stuff sounds like presets and melodies made by just drawing a random line in FL Studio, there's chopped up vocals and other elements seemingly just for the sake of it and i still don't get the point of these high pitched random synths placed around. It's not just generically bad like say Excision it's a different level of crap.

I can understand the popularity in some places though when it must seem so different and new to a lot of people. So to make a point of this, how long do people think the hype of this midrange stuff can last in the US considering it's not changing at all?

And to add something less lame um the Two Inch Punch EP on PMR Records is cheesy but kinda cool (boomkat says it's electro-step r&b apparently), and the Killawatt 12" on Black Box is great.. the b-side is very jungly and nice.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Yeah a lot of bad UK artists to begin with doing it as well, but even with Circus record poo poo i feel like.. they have some idea what they are doing even if it's awful. It's all kinda strange, as if people took Andy C - Body Rock, made 1000 direct copies of it and had guys selling out arena's based on it; and people actually eating it up thinking it's incredible.

The Nightwave EP on unknown to the unknown is pretty good too. Good she wasn't held back by the sexist dance music scene. If you want some cheap records redeye has a shitload of 2011 stuff cut 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It does seem mostly true people introduced by this sound are not actually moving on at all.. you have people who say they've been listening to dubstep for x amount of years commenting on how much they like this new release. In my experience it's hard to even make an influence by putting it right in front of them with a lot of these people, they just want midrange in this exact formula for some reason. They complain about variation between tracks on the EP itself let alone listen to something wildly different.

While it is funny, it probably doesn't help you have people going around constantly telling everyone to listen to DMZ/Mala (as if that will be appealing or a good suggestion to begin with), and that being the only real dubstep and making everyone super defensive. It's basically a worthless term now which everyone is trying to avoid here anyway, let's all just say UK bass or something and pretend there never was a connection.

And yeah i like Body Rock, it's just definitely not something you want too much of. Also yeah i think the last year has been really great, tons of variety and top quality releases through the whole year.. so it's annoying that it might be getting overlooked by people who would enjoy it too. Even though the scene seems very healthy can't help feeling it could be much bigger with the exposure thats being directed to complete shite instead. Some of my favourite poo poo this year i just bought on a whim when vinyl appeared for sale, like the Julio Bashmore EP; so i dunno how other people would ever come across it.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 27, 2011

• Locked thread