Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the reason RDM didnt like star trek technobabble was because on TNG and DS9 they had guys that made them stick to consistant technobabble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
"POLARBEAR THE HULL PLATING"
- Captain Archer, Enterprise

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

tobutt posted:

once again, all i want is coherence

i still can't believe you haven't watched babylon 5. ignore the nerd sperg over 1990's cgi - it is the only sci-fi series to take care about its plot devices for 5 straight seasons.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
No, just the first four, which are enjoyable if rather hamfisted at times. The fifth season and everything else B5 related is crap.

Luckily the actual story is done at the end of season four, so you're not left hanging or something.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

No, just the first four, which are enjoyable if rather hamfisted at times. The fifth season and everything else B5 related is crap.

Luckily the actual story is done at the end of season four, so you're not left hanging or something.

yeah, agreed, but at least it was internally consistent. and you can't blame them. they were told they weren't getting a fifth season, so they wrapped up everything in four

edit: you do get character arc conclusion in season five, at least

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Heresiarch posted:

You got something against hunky telepaths with dreamy billowing blonde hair, son?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You got something against hunky telepaths with dreamy billowing blonde hair, son?

don't forget only talks in parables

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

JawnV6 posted:

soooo glad i didnt fall for lost

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
remember the final episode of b5 season 4 with the weird monks and space ascension or something? poo poo was weird.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I love debating about stuff in fictional tv shows as if they were documentaries

yeah no one would ever throw all their technology into the sun in real life, but we'd totally make sentient robotz that's no biggie

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

I love debating about stuff in fictional tv shows as if they were documentaries

yeah no one would ever throw all their technology into the sun in real life, but we'd totally make sentient robotz that's no biggie

it's... it's almost as if science-fiction reflects our own priorities in a way which allows us to examine them with critical detachment?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wait, no, my mistake

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why do Mormons always have to shoehorn their gay religion into anything they write

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Who besides Card has done that?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Who besides Card has done that?

The original guy who wrote Battlestar Galatica, but that pales in comparison to Card's masterpiece "Hamlet's Father"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

stephanie meyer too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also those cocksuckers got their greasy mitts all over Big Love too

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LP97S posted:

The original guy who wrote Battlestar Galatica, but that pales in comparison to Card's masterpiece "Hamlet's Father"

what, he thinks taming of the shrew has legitimate points about gender roles?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

what, he thinks taming of the shrew has legitimate points about gender roles?

Did you read this bit?

quote:

Here's the punch line: Old King Hamlet was an inadequate king because he was gay, an evil person because he was gay, and, ultimately, a demonic and ghostly father of lies who convinces young Hamlet to exact imaginary revenge on innocent people. The old king was actually murdered by Horatio, in revenge for molesting him as a young boy—along with Laertes, and Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern, thereby turning all of them gay. We learn that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are now "as fusty and peculiar as an old married couple. I pity the woman who tries to wed her way into that house."

Hamlet is damned for all the needless death he inflicts, and Dead Gay Dad will now do gay things to him for the rest of eternity: "Welcome to Hell, my beautiful son. At last we'll be together as I always longed for us to be."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite bit of card lunacy is this interview from 2000.

summary: grad student in literature reads ender's game, falls in love with it and its anti-war message, figures the author must be a liberal feminist pacifist like herself. she books an interview with him and doesn't do any checking up on card's background. hilarity ensues.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

wow Orson Scott Card really hates they gays

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2004-02-15-1.html

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

JawnV6 posted:

soooo glad i didnt fall for lost

i still haven't seen the last season :twisted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DO NOT WATCH IT

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jonny 290 posted:

DO NOT WATCH IT

good advice

oh dammit that magic toilet :suicide:

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
lost was a good show to watch with loved ones and talk about around the water cooler the next day. you might say it was about the journey and not the destination

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

DO NOT WATCH IT

watch it but turn it off twenty minutes before the end of the last episode, then draw your own ending with crayons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
might as well, they sure fuckin' did

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

watch it but turn it off twenty minutes before the end of the last episode, then draw your own ending with crayons

draws jack and dog sleeping in the grass

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FMguru posted:

my favorite bit of card lunacy is this interview from 2000.

summary: grad student in literature reads ender's game, falls in love with it and its anti-war message, figures the author must be a liberal feminist pacifist like herself. she books an interview with him and doesn't do any checking up on card's background. hilarity ensues.

i can't imagine being so full of myself as to believe that enders game had an anti war message. he literally exterminates an entire race because the only other option is to be exterminated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah but it was an accident and he feels really bad about it

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah but it was an accident and he feels really bad about it

mlyp

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

maniacdevnull posted:

i can't imagine being so full of myself as to believe that enders game had an anti war message. he literally exterminates an entire race because the only other option is to be exterminated.

it's antiwar compared to the book version of starship troopers, I used to compare the two when I first read them both

then again pretty much everything is antiwar compared to that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticky wizard posted:

mlyp

hell no i am remorseless

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uxTpyCdriY

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ender's game is also a hitler apologia and card, ostensibly the author, is unaware of that

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i could see spinning it in such a way that enders not responsible, he was manipulated, much like the poor people that join the military at a young age or something

plus he saves the arachnoid queen or whatever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
whats was losts ending

i think i remember hearing '....and it was all just a dream!'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

graph posted:

whats was losts ending

i think i remember hearing '....and it was all just a dream!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they were in purgatory or whatev for the the entire final season and the island is magic

• Locked thread