Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Second best star tracks movie, so I can see how he'd make that mistake

undiscovered country is the best star trek followed by khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
I can never remember what happens in three

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

unleash the unicorn posted:

Spock's mind is in Bones' head, Saavik is a different actress, Spock's body comes back to life on Genesis as a kid, Kirk's illegitimate son admits that genesis was even more unstable than expected, The gang steals the Enterprise, Klingons kill Kirk's son, Kirk abandons the Enterprise and sets it on self-destruct, killing the Klingon boarding party, Kirk fights the Klingon captain played by Christopher Lloyd, they steal the Bird of Prey and go to Vulcan so Spock is back.

It's a decent movie with a dumb plot point (Spock's back!) sandwiched between two much better movies.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

for kirk so loved the spock that he gave his one and only son that spock shall not perish but have eternal life.

(kirk jacks the enterprise to go put spock's soul back in his body which has been magiced back to life by the garden of eden er genesis then the enterprises' poo poo gets hosed by klingon doc brown but kirk outsmarts forehead uncle fester and takes over his ship then judge doom gets dipped off of a cliff)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just found Frank Herbert's Whipping Star in the local library's free book bin.

Is it worth reading? Got a cool 70s cover anyway

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

axolotl farmer posted:

I just found Frank Herbert's Whipping Star in the local library's free book bin.

Is it worth reading?

dunno, read it and let us no

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Having read the Wikipedia summary (axolotl farmer, please don't spoil it for yourself!), I can say that somebody desperately needs to read Whipping Star and report back.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LP97S posted:

It's a decent movie with a dumb plot point (Spock's back!) sandwiched between two much better movies.
also, john laroquette plays one of the klingons

beardy old unix guy at my last job recommended whipping star to me once

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the first star trek movie is my favorite one

i like boring movies

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

axolotl farmer posted:

I've read the sequel, and it's pretty good. Kinda got a serious case of the Heinlein superman protagonist going on though.

It was like, what if Frank Herbert wrote a Stainless Steel Rat novel.

Topic for discussion, can Dosadi be compared to a modern day Gaza strip?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

checked out the cover artist, and found a blog post full of his work

not gonna post them all, but

toby
Dec 4, 2002

owns owns ownssss

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

is three the one where they go to chase the enterprise in the crazy techno-robotic ship and when the go to warp its like 'beep boop engine's broke whoopsie'?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

cuz if so that one rules

kiiiiiiirk! as dean of starfleet im putting you on double secret probation *tos crew speeds by flippin birds, omega house preps all fall off their parade float*

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

is three the one where they go to chase the enterprise in the crazy techno-robotic ship and when the go to warp its like 'beep boop engine's broke whoopsie'?

yes, they even modeled this in the star trek online version of the excelsior. it has a transwarp function that lets you instantly travel to a bunch of different areas but it has a 1/10 chance of doing absolutely nothing + making that noise.

the first time it happened to me i laughed for a good five minutes

game is good if you don't take it too seriously

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axolotl farmer posted:

I've read it, I'd say it's worth reading. It's interesting and weird, it's like Frank Herbert decided to try his hand at writing like Asimov. The sequel that got mentioned earlier takes place in the same setting/character but is a different story, I didn't get a Heinlein superprotagonist vibe off of Whipping Star.

I enjoyed reading it but honestly I think it's worth checking out just to see what Herbert's non-Dune work is like.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i remember liking a frank herbert book about frog lawyers when i was in high school

the winning frog lawyer always got to kill the losing frog lawyer at the end of the case

there were also long detailed descriptions of sentient tadpoles. the dad frog would swim after them and eat all the slow ones. the tadpoles would have to try to outswim him, so only the fast ones survived i guess

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
apperntly it was 'the dosadi experiment' and takes place in the same universe as the whipping star, so that one has frog lawyers too

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Shaggar posted:

undiscovered country is the best star trek followed by khan

eat poo poo

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

axolotl farmer posted:

the burroughs ones are ok i prefer a different writing style

cya

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

also: don't read "the white plague" unless you basically hate women.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't mind reading about some frog lawyers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
as someone who practices Frog Law i can assure you that its not nearly as interesting as you'd think

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

is that ghandi?

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

Mind Spew posted:

is that ghandi?

yes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
i dunno who the big headed dude in the background is though

----------------

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mind Spew posted:

is that ghandi?

the woman is Princess Leia wearing her slave girl bikini bottom. her nipples are naturally gilded.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
serious post I'm not done with pandora's star yet but from what i understand the next book is basically just a strict continuation w/ a title change

why isn't this a BSG-level budget tv show? the first book alone would easily get you 3seasons, maybe 4. rebuild the timeline so you can show all the background poo poo sequentially and you can get by w/o a voiceover (which is what usually kills good science fiction books becoming shows or movies)

the 3rd season opening with the Prime background would be about right i'd think

----------------

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

also: don't read "the white plague" unless you basically hate women.

so read it? lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

show all the background poo poo sequentially and you can get by w/o a voiceover (which is what usually kills good science fiction books becoming shows or movies)

incidentally, i really liked the stephen fry voiceover and motion graphics for the guide scenes in the 2005 hitchhiker's guide movie

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
yea but that's different

in hitchhiker's, the guide is one of the main characters

----------------

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

We had lunch with Sigourney [Weaver] who was telling us that there actually used to be an R-rated version of that movie which was awesome. It was the director's cut and it was R-rated and everybody was swearing and there were sex scenes, and the whole thing. They didn't know what to do with it, so they had to re-edit the whole thing and made it what it is today. We were like, ‘How do we get our hands on the R-rated version of Galaxy Quest?' She said ‘I don't know!' and we were like, ‘Come on, Sigourney!'

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Deuterieux posted:

:stare:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
there's the really awkward continuity error where sigourney's outfit is all proper then one scene later it's all ripped open because of a deleted scene where she 'seduced' some space orcs into standing under a giant falling door

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

samesies

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

there's the really awkward continuity error where sigourney's outfit is all proper then one scene later it's all ripped open because of a deleted scene where she 'seduced' some space orcs into standing under a giant falling door

thanks wikipedia lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

why isn't this a BSG-level budget tv show?

too many locations/characters

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

theclaw posted:

true.

also the new trek was a good action movie and it was fun to spend a few hours with the characters but it wasn't a very Trek movie.

this is my opinion of the movie and my wife gets mad and spergs out about how good it is in every possible way when this comes up

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

dear 4chan; find this instead of hacking lovely intel agencies. tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JawnV6 posted:

I don't remember the movie that well but is it necessarily awkward if you view it as a joke on the fact that women in sf (and action movies in general) tend to randomly lose bits of clothing for the flimsiest of reasons

helped by the deliberate running joke where the zipper on her outfit slowly moves lower over the course of the movie

• Locked thread