Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah but i've already eaten most of the pile, might as well finish it

no trig! sunk cost fallacyyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i read the eyes of the overworld by jack vance, hooooooly poo poo, the amount of immersion he crammed into such a small book is awesome (plus it had one of the best antiheroes ever)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

Accelerando by Stross

skip everything that looks like its going to become a sex scene and thank me later

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux posted:

i am gay for outer space.

i want a framed copy of this, i'm gay

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

boutros boutros z0rli (alternately, z0rtros z0rtros ghali)
harrison z0rd
z0rbit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

george z0rwell

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

z0rville redenbacher

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grand Muff z0rkin
Adam z0rkin

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anybody bother watching the second season of dollhouse? it is much much better than the first so far

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

walking dead is really confused right now, i'm waiting to see how it will shake out

also, someone answer this question:

theflyingexecutive posted:

anybody bother watching the second season of dollhouse? it is much much better than the first so far

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pure desperation, plus like axolotl said, there are a lot of attractive people on that show

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

his assburgers is so severe in those early episodes it's like he's the end result of a generations-long federation breeding experiment to create the spergiest human being imaginable

this experiment began 10 sep 2003

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the first episode was kinda fun. then it immediately tanked. i got the feeling that they had some really good ideas for skits that they'd been polishing for forever, and then they did the first show and were like "alright... what next? well... we could do this thing."

also seeing the same two people again and again gets old. i mean, i wouldn't mind if i liked them more, but i don't. they suck.

i really really liked the first episode and the other ones had funny spots too. hopefully with the extra time and money, season two will be good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

well it's fiction and there's science in it

and the science is p good as far as my undergrad ochem goes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

charles stross y/n

reserved y, skip everything that looks like it involves sex or relationships

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

officers found the offender, whose name has not yet been released to the public, in his star trek autograph-adorned bedroom today. upon apprehension, the man simply said "heh"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

seriously, read that article and then think about how many sci fi tv shows have at least one character who is an adult and interested in sex but for some reason has a childlike lack of sexual experience and understanding and then go barf

i explained this to a friend the other day when he was talking about firefly and watching the slow horror of that realization on his face was priceless

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

someone post the "cutting glass" passage, forgot about that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

you can make fun of someone without being transphobic you know

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

NINbuntu 64 posted:

i only kinda remembered that but i honestly would watch an entire series that played out like COPS but for paranormal poo poo

fringe kinda? :shobon:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sticky wizard posted:

Moon got me a letter from the MPAA or some such acronym

:argh: roommates need to learn to use trusted sites

i got mine for breakfast club 6 years ago. father was not pleased.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i read metagame (sam landstrom) from the kindle library and it was p good: lots of nice conceptual stuff extrapolated from current internet "culture", though i think he spent too long on some of the plot and not long enough on the really crucial issues. it has a real hunger games vibe going for it as well. the dude is a molecular biologist, so i was expecting something jargony like blindsight (which i, as a biologist, really enjoyed), but it was pretty toned down.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

robert mugabe send the dr who tapes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

law abiding rapist posted:

fuckin threadless never makes the good shirts

http://www.threadless.com/submission/388379/Air_Geordi

they don't choose by highest score, though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey this lovely local company's logo looks familiar: http://www.localedge.com/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

Didn't Cameron say somewhere that he specifically wanted the blue cat people to evoke certain emotional responses in people? And that they went through various incarnations where they figured out which designs were the most appealing to test audiences?

Or am I remembering something else and attaching it to Cameron?

it's the disney effect

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

No, he actually did outright say he wanted the blue cat lady to be fuckable.

nobody would have given a poo poo about the aliens if they weren't hot

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sniep posted:

brawny

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux posted:

there needs to be a tng animated series.

with plots from tng_s8

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

man what an awesome picture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RidleyScott.png

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

From what I saw in the first two, they're baby's first dystopia with the addition of a love triangle I'm assuming is copied straight from Twilight.

it's pretty much this with the addition of ptsd; the author was expressing how war affects children

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey somebody suggest a kindle library book for me to read, the snr is out of control on amazon

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haha, that was the first one I found and it was v good. anything similar?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rotor posted:

what the gently caress, if you care about how loving much you hate a TV show literally enough to write all those fuckin words then idk man, maybe you need to look at your life and how you're living it a little closer

glass houses, rotor

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

no, a ghost mind-raped her in to being a ghost robot for the polar ghosts until they used the bdsm ray to re-rape the federation philosophy into her betazed hotbrains... pbffff

I, TOO KNOW THE TERRIBLE PAIN OF LOSS. THE HOLLOWNESS ONE FEELS WHEN ONE IS JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS OF LIFE. LIKE A LIVING GHOST, OR A ROBOT.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

some quote from another thread

:golfclap:

that's rad as hell

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

not sure this is all of them http://imgur.com/a/UsqWB/all

i laugh at barclay.gif every single time, like at the first frame even

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fork bomb posted:

i finally understand this pic!

and now the crushing disappointment because it's just a mockup

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also duncan, please finish writing your movie, k thanks

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LP97S posted:

I did too, but even Danny Boyle knows that most people didn't like it. On Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson said he liked it and Danny said he's one of the few.

Also, if we're talking about dystopian stuff does "Children of Men" count?

you just made me wiki Alfonso Cuarón and apparently he's doing a space disaster sci fi with george clooney and sandra bullock??

• Locked thread