Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

And then they got a fifth season, which was all but unwatchable, because he'd used up all his ideas
Byron was just dreamy, tho :sweatdrop:

I quite dug Space: Above and Beyond for latenight low-budget sciffy, the aliens looked cool medieval-armor-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

g'kar and londo own tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE

:cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pram posted:

only good part was the final episodes

* Xev's lips

* Kai high as a motherfucker on that zombie planet

* 790 rapebot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Amethyst posted:

I love David Lynch and Dune but
that movie was bad.
                              Come at me Bro
                                    /

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JawnV6 posted:

they could do it like a mockumentary and just have talking head interviews w/ harkonnens

"no, no, i really had no clue about the false tooth. took me by surprise... took us all by surprise.."
Jack Nance trying to explain the Baron's cat/rat drug delivery system...

"Hoo boy, earned my paycheck that day, I tells ya!"

qirex posted:

I remember seeing Dune toys in toy stores, they didn't sell very well.
Still got a Baron H. action figure with 'waving angry arms' action... Wish I'd saved the pocket money for the sandworm toy, It was cool as all hell for an 11-year-old.

That said, an 11-year-old who hadn't read the books was somewhat nonplussed by the Baron pulling the heartplug in a sexy death fetish on the cinema screen, god knows what pops thought of the whole affair :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 27, 2011

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pram posted:

:frogout: of here stalker

Also, hipbone pantytenting is one of the proofs of a loving God

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf/eyeargon/index.htm

Laffin' :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mr_jim posted:

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian"

To be fair that could have been classic R E Howard, but:

"With a loud crack the rodents head parted from its squirming torso, sending out a sprinking shower of crimson gore, and trailing a slimy string of disjointed vertebrae, snapped trachea, esophagus, and jugular, disjointed hyoid bone, morose purpled stretched hide, and blood seared muscles."

Is obviously the forerunner of Party Poppers.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

Robert E. Howard: Conan stories and others. Howard was actually kind of an amazing author, particularly given the limitations of the markets he was publishing in.
Jack Vance: Dying Earth (four books). One of the grand masters, and the rare writer who could pass for actual literature. Much of his work was looted by Gygax for D&D (the magic system, in particular). Also check out his Lyonesse series.

deichkind42 posted:

yo everyone read some stanislaw lem instead of your mediocre uninspired capitalist scifi from america.
some good books by him:
fiasco (about a failed attempt to establish contact with another civilization)
Reppin' these guys...

Howard was a man before his time and a millenia after all in one... Awesome works, there isn't a lot of sword/sandal stuff tha can even match his work all these years later.

Vance; man, I swear Cugel is one of the few books I can read and re-read and laugh at every time... Vance's florid verbiage and courtly coversations masking all manner of backstabbing and plotting is a hoot, and Cugel himself is a perfect bastard of an antihero.

Lem... Just going to say that Fiasco is a crushingly depressing book; if you go into it thinking, 'Hmm will people gently caress up here..?' you'll be set in good stead :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

the last chapter is loving fantastic and imma go read it right now
Knock the dust of Yospos from your sandals :twisted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FEMA summer camp posted:

hey what about peter f. hamilton

what about him?

right?
I read 'The Reality Dysfunction' last week, umpty-hundred pages with more characters than you can keep track of and the end of the book doesn't even attempt to wrap things up; nope, straight on to the next breezeblock sized publication 'The Neutronium Alchemist'... I don't think I care enough.

I'm rereading Peter Watts' 'Blindsight' again which is much more fun; available as a freebie download if you don't mind ebooks.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Most scifi I get bored of if I try to re-read, but the Takeshi Kovacks books by Richard K Morgan are proving to be fun around again.

Most re-read book in the whole shelf is Vance's 'Planet of Adventure', goddamn am I :gay: for that man's work.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

btw anyone who is a lovecraft fan should really read stross' The Library series. new one comes out soon

That's 'The Laundry' for people who want to look it up.

Also, there's a freebie short story in that universe you can try a taste-test with: The Concrete Jungle

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

reallyprettymad posted:

I like burn notice, been meanin 2 watch it from the beginning
It seems really cheap but still lots of fun - the ep where Mike was playing 'el diablo' was especially :cool:... Been a while since anyone wheeled out the 'A-Team' trope* and did something fun with it. Always good to see Bruce Campbell getting work as well.

*ugh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

duTrieux posted:

i started all sorts of healthy yet delicious poo poo around to stop myself from consuming worlds in my hunger. it's mostly worked out but goddamn those chalupas... goddamn...
Galactus finds a ball of weed as big as the sun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

the martian chronic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quote:

William Shatner goes where no man has gone before and slams Star Wars

The actor - who sprang to superstardom playing Captain Kirk in the show - said during a recent video interview with his daughter Lisabeth that he found the Star Wars movies 'derivative' and obsessed with visuals.

'Star Trek had relationships and stories that involved humanity and philosophical questions,' the 80-year-old said.

'Star Wars was special effects, Industrial Light and Magic at its best.'

And he also had scant regard for actress Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia in the blockbuster series, saying she 'can't compare to the marvellous heroines we had on Star Trek'.

The actor did admit, however, that Star Wars was way ahead of Star Trek when it came to special effects.

'God knows what those actors looked like in reality with all those special effects,' Shatner said.

'There's no telling what ILM did for those faces and hairdos.

'There's a big difference between Star Wars and Star Trek.

'With Star Trek director JJ Abrams piling on the special effects now, I would say there is a resurgence of Star Trek in a big movie frame that supersedes Star Wars - on every level.'

Shatner appeared in Star Trek from 1966 to 1969 but revived the role in the first Star Trek movie in 1979.

He went on to star in a further six Trek films - ending with 1994's Star Trek Generations, in which Captain Kirk dies.

gg Kirk :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Has anyone scored an advance (real or *ahem*) of 'The Children of the Sky', Vinge's new sequel to A Fire Upon The Deep..? Any good?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kirk is a straight up player :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

reallyprettymad posted:

Thank you for loving Pipkin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

ITS "PUPKIN"

Tell that to ye olde renne faire signwriter, then :mad:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just read book one of the Sector General books; pretty fun, if you'd like to read a (admittedly slightly dated-feeling) 'House' in Space you will probabaly like these :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

laff; I never knew 80's lumpy spaceship painter Chris Foss also did the illustrations for the original Joy Of Sex book; man was multi-talented, I'll say :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sci Fi Postin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NINbuntu 64 posted:

is red mars actually good? i thought about picking it up but it seemed like it might end up lovely and meh
RM is a bit wordy, but it has an ownage bit of future terrorism involving a space elevator, so pluspoints there.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cylon Dinner Party posted:

old conan books rule

ya, been meaning to unbox these and read through them again, so ty for the inspiration :)

Totally ate this stuff up when I was a kid, even though everything except the R.E.Howard and the deCamp books are p. bad :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Boner Buffet posted:

i would read all sci fi from author 'your cunts'

Sounds like a Nom De Plume for Carlton Mellick

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LooseChanj posted:

gotta give a thumbs up to the cannibals of candyland
You should read some Steve Aylett if you haven't already... He's not *quite* as bugfuck as Mellick, but he's certainly not your usual pageturner :o:

Go buy 'Only an Alligator', 'Slaughtermatic' and 'Bigot Hall'.

Oh I read Mindbridge yesterday - it was p.good, though it all seemed wrapped up neatly very quickly at the end.

<edit> The reviews on Amazon for Slaughtermatic are great; a couple of folks who know what they are getting with Aylett and a bunch of guys who were expectng some po-faced straight Gibsonesque Cyberpunk.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 14, 2011

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:ohdear:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 14, 2011

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Capsule Review: rear end Goblins of Auschwitz

About as good as the title suggests :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Best thing about the xfiles is Tooms having a hankering for really fresh liver :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cylon Dinner Party posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlvYKl1fjBI

Why have I not heard about this before now?

The sfx at :30, :34 etc are totally Serious Sam powerup pickup sounds... JC of Mars needs to learn that pickin up the +1 heatlh item is going to spawn some rear end in a top hat bad guys every time :o:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Qapla'!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Attn: Kirk

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85514731/baby-spock-from-star-trek-reborn-baby

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sci-Fi postin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42tuVkn7KU4

quote:

A little known cyber punk musical with a love story twist set in a distant future made by Denis & Denis, featuring the most famous songs from their albums "Čuvaj Se" (1984) and "Ja Sam Lažljiva" (1985). This special was broadcast on TV Belgrade in 1985. Songs "Ti i Ja" and "Program Tvog Kompjutera" feature in this part.

Olds should watch this :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PSA; if you ever feel the need to read the GRRM Ice & Fire books, don't... I've ploughed through all 5 books over the past fortnight, and while they started off OK books 4 and 5 have been '2 steps forward, 100 leagues to the side' - Man needs an editor and how :o:

Some of the characterisation is so thin by book 5 that all I could think of was Barons getting a namechange to STANNIS TEETH GRINDER

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ka'plah!

Star Trek the MMO is now free to play on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/?snr=1_4_4__103

USS YOSPOS crew roster sign up below :cool:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

asimov owns the most

J. Vance best writer.

S. Lem number II spot.

Also, agreedo that 99% of Anime is trash, but I saw Wings of Honneamise at a film festival and it was kinda good as [a] it could easily have been live-action and [b] did nothing with the usual anime tropes.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

theflyingexecutive posted:

nmn is right about vance being a legit writer though. hell, it's enough of an achievement to write good, concise fantasy at all

JV is one of the few writers to get a real IRL LOL with some of the Cugel stuff.

Also, Kirk is just a little upset right now, I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BonzoESC posted:

there'll also be future WMDs that are just big asteroids with big-rear end engines parked light years away and if you don't comply we won't change their course

(this is the plot of charlie stross's "iron sunrise")

The titular temporal WMD was pretty :raise: as well...

• Locked thread