Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

Late PK dick reads like extremely tragic autobiographical meta fiction.

that's because that's what it was.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

the title font is desperately trying to hide the fact that yes, that word is "panties".

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

*in the terminal bookstore, 5 minutes before boarding*

"i need a book to read, let's see, 'color of herdanites'. whatever, i'm sure it has dragons and poo poo"

*on the plane*

"noooooooooo"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

that's still the coolest painting

goya painted it onto his dining room wall which is just brutal.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

c/p from wiki:

quote:

In 1819, with the idea of isolating himself, he bought a country house by the Manzanares river just outside of Madrid. It was known as the Quinta del Sordo (roughly, "House of the Deaf Man", titled after its previous owner and not after Goya himself). There he created the Black Paintings with intense, haunting themes, reflective of the artist's fear of insanity, and his outlook on humanity. Several of these, including Saturn Devouring His Son, were painted directly onto the walls of his dining and sitting rooms.

imagine locking eyes with that thing every morning over your oatmeal and coffee.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

btw anyone who is a lovecraft fan should really read stross' The Library series. new one comes out soon

yes i do and yes i will.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

do it, first books are always poo poo. you've got to get it out of your system.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

You Am I posted:

It owns hard. It is great to see how they bring Sherlock's mannerisms into a modern environment without him looking like a huge sperg. Love that series and can't wait for the next 3 episodes, which should be soon.

okay, that's a problem. a fundamental part of sherlock holmes is that he's a borderline-autistic and insufferably pedantic rear end in a top hat with a deep-seated inferiority complex.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The USS Enterhighs (NCC-420) is powered by an experimental weed-antiweed reactor, for its 4 hour mission to seek out new taco bells and new cartoons, to boldly go, where no stoner has gone before

i started all sorts of healthy yet delicious poo poo around to stop myself from consuming worlds in my hunger. it's mostly worked out but goddamn those chalupas... goddamn...

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hotbox the solar system

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

omg

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

if a truly intelligent voice arose among the collective, they would just transport an explosive device directly into the core of the death star and knock it out of commission immediately - but since they never attempt that during encounters with ships in the star trek universe, i doubt they would here. also even if they lost the cube but got drones aboard the death star, it would be worth it - a borg assimilated death star cruising around the galaxy would be an unstoppable force.

why would they teleport an explosive in if they're after the technological distinctiveness?

also, the force is an organic effect brought about by midichlorians, therefore all it takes is an attempted assimilation of a single force-sensitive and all of a sudden you've got superpowered borg flying around

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also just want to say The Fifth Element is a loving killer movie

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

i had literally 1500+ posts in a star trek thread

a star trek thread in LF

that thread was pretty great.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

the writers of first contact and voyager basically didn't understand what the borg were. they weren't some character driven enemy, but rather they were supposed to be presented as more of a force of nature that was neither good nor evil, like some sort of natural disaster that came and went.

then the writers hosed them up and made them menacing jerks that went around plotting to blow poo poo up and gave them a queen.

the borg are a hell of a way to introduce a 7-year old to the concept of existential horror.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

star trek has had an enormous impact on culture and technology and we should all be thankful for mr. roddenberry's visioooooooooooooooooooooooo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

little prosthetic dong

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the idea that we need aliens to tell us how to make build machines to let us remotely masturbate at each other is a little offensive.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yes it was, although people will fight you over whether the others were worth reading.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yep, those are the ringworld books.

imo the first two are worth rereading. the third i recall being a chore but it's been a while, and there's a fourth i haven't gotten to yet.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cool, thx!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

inigo monz0rya posted:

me too... i won't ever read the hobbit again though

i read Dune a few times a year and almost start the other books but then come to my senses and... don't

you should at least read the next 2, the serious turbulence starts in 4 and the engines fall off in 5 and 6.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i sat down and read the brian herbert and kjanderson sequels as an experiment in how angry they would make me. preliminary results point to "very"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SRQ posted:

Talk more about dune, I'm almost done book six and holy mother of god is it insane
~entire chapter about bene gesserit vaginal movements~
~50 thousand duncan idaho clones~
~A magical man who does matrix stuff and then dies, then gets cloned~

stop after 6.

do not read any of the new *quels.

ever.

(i am not joking.)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"ultraspice! that's even better than normal spice! gently caress you, dad!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

and then in the last chapter new characters from the prequels show up magic away the bad guys, making absolutely everything that happened in books 4-6 meaningless.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SRQ posted:

I thought the dune prequels were both terrible horseshit and interesting, the robot guys made a good antagonist and the war was cool.
the bizzaro plotpoint of the invincible asteroid warship was crap though.

nearly every single plot thread petered out, dramatic developments were regularly neutered of any impact, and the characters were paper-thin caricatures of human beings.

and then they write sequels that could have started with every original character just dropping dead, and it wouldn't have made any difference to how the books play out.

getting mad about sandworms... that live in water!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wait, are you reading the brian herbert/kage anderson books first?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

dont sandworms die when submerged in water @____@

where else are you going to get ULTRASPICE :suicide:

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 28, 2011

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you get the water of life when you drown a worm, because water fucks their poo poo up.

no, the bherb/kjand sequels literally added ocean-faring sandworms for whom water ain't no thing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i never bothered to read that one, i'll grant there may sometimes be jewels amid the turds.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they should remaster those spandex sausage casings they all wore in the first few seasons.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it was a mix of film and tape for the first few seasons; film was used for raw footage and the ship models, while tape was used for visual effects.

why do i still know that.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

most of the heavy lifting is done already (ship models and major effects on film), so i imagine the rest is just fancy post-processing?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everything mastered

all of it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

oh god oh god oh god :ohdear:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

according to bherb kejand, baron harkonnen wasn't a self-made caricature of his own gluttony and lack of self-control. he was actually quite handsome! what happened is that he raped a bene gesserit and she gave him an std.

later he tried to attack them but they all turned invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there really should have been a next generation episode where the enterprise is lured to a nazi planet that's been taken over by lore, now known as hitlore.

• Locked thread