Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So... who likes cowboys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mox_kEhhPuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

God drat Terminus, another excuse to update GZDoom.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I like cowboys and I like this mod, especially the dual greaseguns and the ability to stuff 4 shells into a double barrel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify my love for dumb guns in general.

Dumb guns that don't make sense don't need justification to love.

The best part of ROTT reboot was recharging endlessly from the same two duct-taped magazines.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Zorilla posted:

Ooh, that was one of the more difficult ones. Some songs took literally five minutes to convert, but D_MESSAG left me figuring out where to go with it. I wasn't sure if I should preserve some of the dissonance or go strictly major with it. I chose the former, and I'm still not 100% sure it was the right choice.

Me posting this WAD here coincides with the 1.2 release, which fixes a few minor things. Of course, as soon as I do that, I find a bunch of wrong notes on D_E2M1. I'm also finding out how much extra crap FL Studio puts in MIDI files now that I've switched to Sekaiju. It was bad enough that it was causing my USB MIDI interface to trip over the beginning of songs. Looks like I have some work to do to clean it up.

I moved from fl studio to aria maestosa. Generally was really pleased and comfortable with it until I saw you mention Sekaiju. Ill give it a through look since I've been searching for a more capable sequencer.

How friendly is it with Midi outputs?

Cat Mattress posted:

Dumb guns that don't make sense don't need justification to love.

The best part of ROTT reboot was recharging endlessly from the same two duct-taped magazines.

Hell yeah, redundant mp42 reload was awesome. :hfive:
Dumb guns in general (especially shotguns) have always been something I've been facinated with.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 21, 2017

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wamdoodle posted:

This pic belongs in the Smithsonian.

Re: Shotguns

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSd0pI1EQGk

Holy smokes

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Out of curiosity, for High Noon Drifter, is this the sort of clip system where unused bullets magically show up in your next clip (as with most FPS clip systems), or do you lose unused bullets when you reload (as with reality)? I can see the merits of both systems, mind you, I just wanna know for sure.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shadow Hog posted:

Out of curiosity, for High Noon Drifter, is this the sort of clip system where unused bullets magically show up in your next clip (as with most FPS clip systems), or do you lose unused bullets when you reload (as with reality)? I can see the merits of both systems, mind you, I just wanna know for sure.

I only played for like 5 minutes so I can't speak for the entire mod but considering it seems like most of the weapons don't use clips at all, I'm gonna say you probably don't lose bullets. At least the first couple weapons don't. I mean your starting weapon is a revolver.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Right, but when you reload it, eight bullets/shells/whatever fall to the ground regardless of how many you fired.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Wamdoodle posted:

This pic belongs in the Smithsonian.

Re: Shotguns

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSd0pI1EQGk

does anybody have more videos like this of crazy poo poo or bullet hell style maps? i want to show some friends who have never played doom and i think a few 5 minute videos would get them hooked

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Casual Encountess posted:

does anybody have more videos like this of crazy poo poo or bullet hell style maps? i want to show some friends who have never played doom and i think a few 5 minute videos would get them hooked

Just look for an Alien Vendetta Speedrun video that would be enough.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

It's the magical reload system.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Seems like Shadow Warrior (2013) is free right now on Humble Bundle, comes with a steam key if you care about that sort of thing.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/shadow-warrior-special-edition

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

It's the magical reload system.
Okay, good, I can feel safe reloading after every encounter like a paranoid git then.

Wasn't sure, cuz I couldn't see any hard numbers on what my current ammo pool was, just the vertical bars on the HUD. (The info probably was there, somewhere, but I missed it, I dunno.)

Only other criticism is the HUD completely disappearing when the overlay automap is on, not just when the non-overlay automap is on. Dunno if that's really something one can fix or not, having not really dabbled in custom HUDs, so...

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 21, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Incredible! And what I love the most is the Timesplitters soundtrack that video :allears:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Casual Encountess posted:

Well to start how about :

Russian Overkill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UibdIwRmhR0

and

Trailblazer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZnS45rEdE

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kamrat posted:

Seems like Shadow Warrior (2013) is free right now on Humble Bundle, comes with a steam key if you care about that sort of thing.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/shadow-warrior-special-edition

I'd say it's a pretty solid game, and I've got over a hundred hours in the sequel. My biggest gripe with SW2013 is that the second half (or maybe final third) of the game got really redundant for me--possibly because the enemy selection was somewhat lacking...so it felt like you were progressing from arena to arena, fighting different permutations of the same 3 or 4 enemies ad nauseum. "This room has a Berserker, 4 shield guys, and a bunch of fodder enemies...this room has a Warlord, 2 shield guys, and a bunch of fodder enemies...this room has a Berserker, a Warlord, and a bunch of fodder enemies..."

Still, can't beat free!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The ship level in Shadow Warrior 2013 is the game's lowest point. That thing is never ending and the small enemy variety doesn't help.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the sequel is legit pretty fun on the gameplay angle at least. even has a good variety of different shotguns to pick from, to go with the earlier conversation. too bad the story in it is just entirely godawful, especially when the first game has an actually decent one for an fps.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

zybournejohnny.jpg

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

the sequel is legit pretty fun on the gameplay angle at least. even has a good variety of different shotguns to pick from, to go with the earlier conversation. too bad the story in it is just entirely godawful, especially when the first game has an actually decent one for an fps.

It's funny how a higher budget managed to make the cutscenes look worse. Everyone I played with just wanted to skip them. They had wonky looking motion capture while SW2013 had some pretty nice art

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger share the screen in Ready Player One, the new Spielberg movie, ok you win I'll see the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE&t=90s

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 22, 2017

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
oh my god, that looks insufferable

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ETPC posted:

As insufferable as the author?

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
One one hand I know full well that the inclusion of the Delorean is a focused-tested tomahawk missile to lure exactly my type of 80's kid dorkus into the theatre, but on the other hand, hrrrnnnngh...

Edit: I was busy double-checking the spelling of Delorean when the above image was posted. It is a perfect counter to the trailer. Thanks a heap.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 23, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ETPC posted:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Trailers like these don't seem to get much across, but it's about finding a treasure thingy like One Piece I hear! And it has the motorcycle from Akira. Maybe one of the Jojos is in it, you never know. I hear the book had Mechagodzilla and Eva references etc.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Metal posted:

Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger share the screen in Ready Player One, the new Spielberg movie, ok you win I'll see the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE&t=90s

This movie looks terrible :confused:

Anything that parades itself as the "holy grail of pop culture" is probably endless trash.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RyokoTK posted:

This movie looks terrible :confused:

Anything that parades itself as the "holy grail of pop culture" is probably endless trash.

Oh yeah Ready Player One is like if X-Entertainment, retro crush, and all those other early 2000s "I was born in the early-mid 70s and I want to talk about what be 12 in the mid 80s was like" sites were pressed into blender and poured into a book. With a random assortment of modern day nerd stuff like MMOs and widespread internet tossed in.

The main plot of it is that in the future, a treasure is hidden using 80s and nerd trivia and only the hero is cool enough to know all that. Despite being hidden inside an online MMO where you would expect all that nerd poo poo to be easily searchable online.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Oh yeah Ready Player One is like if X-Entertainment, retro crush, and all those other early 2000s "I was born in the early-mid 70s and I want to talk about what be 12 in the mid 80s was like" sites were pressed into blender and poured into a book. With a random assortment of modern day nerd stuff like MMOs and widespread internet tossed in.

The main plot of it is that in the future, a treasure is hidden using 80s and nerd trivia and only the hero is cool enough to know all that. Despite being hidden inside an online MMO where you would expect all that nerd poo poo to be easily searchable online.

Also most of said 80s nerd trivia isn't even that obscure, even when he spends half a chapter rattling off all the entries from "Things_from_the_80s_that_I_remembered.txt"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the Final Battle is literally the main character remembering all the lines to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

In the author's next book, apparently at one point a military character gets outed as an antagonist because they quote Top Gun instead of a nerd movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

"Gone Girl meets Scott Pilgrim" - Antonio Movees, Village Voice. hell I usually agree with Antonio so I'm gonna give this one a watch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Angry_Ed posted:

Also most of said 80s nerd trivia isn't even that obscure, even when he spends half a chapter rattling off all the entries from "Things_from_the_80s_that_I_remembered.txt"

Yeah it's very like entry level almost? Like he's afraid in the book to make any reference too obscure because it might confuse people.

But I mean like in our current world there's still 500,000 nerds who can verbatim quote any 50 year old Monty Python sketch you care to name. The idea future nerds won't know all the quotes from Star Wars or whatever is just so weird.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Not to mention that, IIRC, the hunt for the dead billionaire's fortune had been going on for years before the book takes place, so it's not like nobody's had time to brush up on pre-9/11 nerd media.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it looks like the movie version of the bright coloration on poison dart frogs, where you know to stay away

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Metal posted:

"Gone Girl meets Scott Pilgrim" - Antonio Movees, Village Voice. hell I usually agree with Antonio so I'm gonna give this one a watch.

good lord dude, what's wrong with you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RyokoTK posted:

Duke Nuked Him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
"Gone Girl meets Scott Pilgrim" is such a nonsense gibberish concept for a movie. That's like saying "Office Space meets Life Aquatic." Anyone that derives meaning from that sort of splicing of concepts has probably already had a stroke.

e: vv Gone Girl is a fine movie. Scott Pilgrim is not, but whatever. Those movies are so unlike each other.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RyokoTK posted:

Art is in the eye of the beholder I suppose? "Gone Girl meets Scott Pilgrim" doesn't do anything for you? You see Gone Girl was one of those books one or two friends said was good then we saw the movie, and this is like that too, so I made an incoherent joke about it. Also the idea that this movie could be sort of a serious opus, like Spielberg kind of Shining this up Kubrick style, I like that, and also find humor in it. Anyways, just stopped by to post FPS history news! And also I do think this movie could be entertaining. Unlike my posts.

RyokoTK posted:

e: vv Gone Girl is a fine movie. Scott Pilgrim is not, but whatever. Those movies are so unlike each other.

That's the joke, like saying The Godfather meets Weekend At Bernie's.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Anything good about the movie will come from Spielberg or changes during the adaptation process, because the book itself is absolutely dire.

I mean, I suppose good movies have been made from awful books, so I'm sure that's possible here, but it's fair to say I'm not expecting that.