Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Heavy Metal posted:

like saying The Godfather meets Weekend At Bernie's.

See now this I can get behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

C.M. Kruger posted:

As insufferable as the author?

US Gamer did a review on the next book he wrote, The Next Starfighter. The excerpt they took from was enough to make me want to avoid anything by Ernest Cline:

quote:

An example, from the beginning of chapter 2:

I parked in the empty driveway and killed the engine, but I didn't get out of the car right away. Instead I sat there gripping the wheel with both hands, peering silently up at the attic window of our little ivy-covered brick house, thinking about the first time I'd gone up there to dig through my father's old possessions. I'd felt like a young Clark Kent, preparing to finally learn the truth about his origins from the holographic ghost of his own long-dead father. But now I was thinking of a young Jedi-in-training named Luke Skywalker, looking into the mouth of that cave on Dagobah while Master Yoda told him about today's activity lesson: Strong with the Dark Side of the Force that place is. In you must go, mofo

Or this example from chapter 7:

"What the gently caress is happening right now, ray?" I asked, unnerved by the amount of fear in mor own voice.

"'Somebody set up us the bomb,' pal," he quoted. "Now it's time to take off every zig for great justice."

He chuckled softly. I wanted to sock him in the face.

Heavy Metal posted:

Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger share the screen in Ready Player One, the new Spielberg movie, ok you win I'll see the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE&t=90s
I couldn't even tell that was Duke Nukem when I first watched it. I had to search online to find an article highlighting where he was at. He's so far off in the distance and shrouded in shadow you can only just barely make him out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/neilcic/status/888866630306082817

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Wamdoodle posted:

See now this I can get behind

Don Corleone's dead! But his sons, Michael and Sonny, need to convince the world he's still alive if they stand any chance at finding Old Man Fanucci's treasure. "You're outta your freakin' mind!" their lawyer, Tom Hagan, says as he slaps a palm across his forehead. He's sweating bullets...but not like the 17 that riddle Don Corleone's corpse! Mamma Mia! Italian antics ensue.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 23, 2017

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

So one of those things that makes a fun five-minute fan-made short turned into a 90-minute movie? Ugh.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can ya'll awesome people link me some good ZScript starters and material? Can I compile it on Visual Studio?

Also congrats to Duke Nukum for still being relevant in the 2050s.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here you go:
http://www.zeldaclassic.com/wiki/index.php/ZScript
https://www.zkoss.org/wiki/Zscript,_java,_EL
http://docs.pixologic.com/reference-guide/zscript/
:v:

To give a more on-topic answer: GZDoom's ZScript is just some sort of DECORATE++. It isn't compiled externally. It's not complete but the ZDoom wiki is still the best place to begin.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm glad that Zelda Classic is still a thing.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I moved from fl studio to aria maestosa. Generally was really pleased and comfortable with it until I saw you mention Sekaiju. Ill give it a through look since I've been searching for a more capable sequencer.

How friendly is it with Midi outputs?

Sekaiju looks older than it actually is. It looks like a program from the late 1990s, but it's in active development. It's very fast and lightweight. From the libraries it comes with, it appears to be written in Visual Studio 2008.

I find that some of the defaults are not quite ideal (aside from it being in Japanese by default, but that's trivial to fix), but it doesn't take long at all to get used to. The piano roll is generally pretty cooperative, which already puts it miles ahead of Anvil Studio, which made me curse it every time I tried to use it.

Zooming in each view is controlled by Ctrl and + or -, which is a little different. The axes it controls can be changed on a per-view basis, and I definitely took advantage of that setting because I didn't like the defaults.

Sekaiju lets you define up to 16 individual MIDI inputs and 16 outputs. Application threading could be better. Any time the UI updates, it interrupts MIDI playback, which is sometimes noticeable, especially in the Events window, where there is usually a lot to update when a song is playing.

My biggest gripe is, despite how new it is, it still doesn't implement a proper security model, so if you're going to put this program in your Program Files folder, you're going to need to give it write permissions for ordinary users (or run it as Administrator) so it can save changes to the configuration file it keeps in the program folder. It also likes to eat the INI file every few days. I'm not sure what causes this--possibly closing and reopening it too quickly. When this happens, it resets a bunch of things like zoom hotkeys and language. I keep a duplicate of that file just in case.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I might have made a mistake.

:allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 23, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

That whip is making me remember that we still don't have a decent Castlevania TC.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I hate double posting but this is at least a separate thought.

Most weapon mods seem to be kitchen-sinky, featuring overpowered guns and gimmicks. Which is fine, make what you want, etc etc. But I find it kind of odd that no one seems to have made either single mods or a combined mod that backports weapons from other Doom Engine (or their derivatives) games into Doom. There's no standalone Heretic Weapons for Doom wad, for example, although some of those weapons have made their way into other packs (the ubiquitous Gauntlets are a good example of this). I'd love to run around Doom or Doom 2 as the Elven Heretic blasting Former Humans with his wand, or take Kyle Katarn into Epic 2 and perform Thermal Detonator experiments on Nazis, or, and this is where we get pipe-dreamy, use a wad that includes the characters from Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Dark Forces, etc as selectable classes from within the game itself, and better yet, a custom class that lets you define your loadout from among all the classes (EX: 0- Gauntlets/Thermal Detonator, 1- Doomguy Pistol/Blaster pistol, 2- Blaster Rifle/DB Shotgun, etc)

Aside from that last bit, Is it particularly difficult to do, or has no one just cared enough to do it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Samsara is pretty much exactly what you're talking about

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RickVoid posted:

That whip is making me remember that we still don't have a decent Castlevania TC.

There's Nightmare of the Sin, but nothing with enemies.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Something I'm working on for the Hotline Miami Doom mods

I think people with actual musical talent and MIDI familiarity might be able to give me some good advice.

I feel like this sounds closer to the re-recorded version from Jasper Byrne than the one included in the original game and the soundtrack.

Cat Mattress posted:

Here you go:
http://www.zeldaclassic.com/wiki/index.php/ZScript
https://www.zkoss.org/wiki/Zscript,_java,_EL
http://docs.pixologic.com/reference-guide/zscript/
:v:

To give a more on-topic answer: GZDoom's ZScript is just some sort of DECORATE++. It isn't compiled externally. It's not complete but the ZDoom wiki is still the best place to begin.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

Huge thanks for these. I don't know how the Zdoom wiki went over my head tbh.

Zorilla posted:

Sekaiju looks older than it actually is. It looks like a program from the late 1990s, but it's in active development. It's very fast and lightweight. From the libraries it comes with, it appears to be written in Visual Studio 2008.

I find that some of the defaults are not quite ideal (aside from it being in Japanese by default, but that's trivial to fix), but it doesn't take long at all to get used to. The piano roll is generally pretty cooperative, which already puts it miles ahead of Anvil Studio, which made me curse it every time I tried to use it.

Zooming in each view is controlled by Ctrl and + or -, which is a little different. The axes it controls can be changed on a per-view basis, and I definitely took advantage of that setting because I didn't like the defaults.

Sekaiju lets you define up to 16 individual MIDI inputs and 16 outputs. Application threading could be better. Any time the UI updates, it interrupts MIDI playback, which is sometimes noticeable, especially in the Events window, where there is usually a lot to update when a song is playing.

My biggest gripe is, despite how new it is, it still doesn't implement a proper security model, so if you're going to put this program in your Program Files folder, you're going to need to give it write permissions for ordinary users (or run it as Administrator) so it can save changes to the configuration file it keeps in the program folder. It also likes to eat the INI file every few days. I'm not sure what causes this--possibly closing and reopening it too quickly. When this happens, it resets a bunch of things like zoom hotkeys and language. I keep a duplicate of that file just in case.

I'll definitely keep these in mind. I haven't encountered the INI issue yet, but I went straight into 5.0.

It's still a hell of a novel program. Honestly, some times, I wish I could just set the language to Japanese and pretend I'm on some PC-98 or something in a tiny apartment in Tokyo.

Or maybe it's the marijuana.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

I just got into Ancient Aliens. I knew I had picked the right map pack to start playing as soon as I brought up the main menu. Fantastic MIDI soundtrack too. Apparently, you can buy it on Bandcamp, but it sounds like it was rendered on the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Whyyyyy!? It sounds so much better on an actual Sound Canvas (or really anything for that matter).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Because it was composed against that, and the composer thinks anything else sounds wrong for it.

I mean, "Trapeze"'s taiko drums don't sound right even on Sound Canvas VA; it literally only sounds correct on Microsoft's incorrect implementation, where the pitch changes much more dramatically than it should.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

Because it was composed against that, and the composer thinks anything else sounds wrong for it.

I mean, "Trapeze"'s taiko drums don't sound right even on Sound Canvas VA; it literally only sounds correct on Microsoft's incorrect implementation, where the pitch changes much more dramatically than it should.

Eh, you work with what ya got ya know? One thing I've been told with regards to music is the only rule is there are no rules.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ancient aliens gets mean in the second episode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fishmech posted:

Oh yeah Ready Player One is like if X-Entertainment...

Hey don't drag Matt into this :mad:

But seriously though that trailer and movie look loving awful, so glad I didn't bother reading that dumb book.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Shadow Hog posted:

Oh yeah, I just released a soundfont based on WinGroove and now I remember encountering this when creating the taiko drums. I had to set note scaling to 50% to match the original behavior, which was easy enough to do in an SF2 soundfont.

I guess I would argue that taking a percussive instrument that is known to have reduced note scaling on industry standard hardware and using it for melodies is a bad idea for this exact reason. I'm left wondering if there's a way to set note scaling through CC events so it's normalized across MIDI hardware. I haven't found anything though. Not that it would accomplish much. Microsoft's implementation is also out of tune by a fifth, so you already have a problem even before getting into how it's scaled.

If I were the one dealing with this problem, I probably would have just modified the MIDIs accordingly before rendering them and submitting them to Bandcamp.

Klaus88 posted:

Ancient aliens gets mean in the second episode.

I'm playing through it now and it's reaching borderline Slaughterfest levels. You can pretty much place bets on how many Archviles and Revenants are released by each pickup or switch press.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

US Gamer did a review on the next book he wrote, The Next Starfighter. The excerpt they took from was enough to make me want to avoid anything by Ernest Cline:

I couldn't even tell that was Duke Nukem when I first watched it. I had to search online to find an article highlighting where he was at. He's so far off in the distance and shrouded in shadow you can only just barely make him out.

You left out the part where in "The Next Starfighter" apparently Star Citizen actually came out :haw:

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Something I'm working on for the Hotline Miami Doom mods

I think people with actual musical talent and MIDI familiarity might be able to give me some good advice.

I feel like this sounds closer to the re-recorded version from Jasper Byrne than the one included in the original game and the soundtrack.

Just chiming in to say I let your version play and then it went right into playing Jasper's Miami next and it felt really familiar, so that's a good sign. I haven't played Hotline Miami but after checking out the DooM mods and the original I'm very confused how I missed it.

I really like the song and how chill it is, but how does it play when you are blowing up barrels and the subsequent explosions light the enemies on fire?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dumb question: What's the point of the invisibility power-up in Doom? Once enemies are alerted to your presence, it seems like the invisibility doesn't really serve any purpose. Does sound/proximity play into it, or is there some other benefit that I'm not familiar with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Dumb question: What's the point of the invisibility power-up in Doom? Once enemies are alerted to your presence, it seems like the invisibility doesn't really serve any purpose. Does sound/proximity play into it, or is there some other benefit that I'm not familiar with.
Monsters that fire at a player with the invisibility powerup have their aim offset by a random angle. In theory, this should cause monsters to miss players with that powerup more often. In theory.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Projectiles I find tend to go wide, but I feel like we get used to them moving in a certain way so it can make things harder because there's a fireball where you didn't expect it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Max Wilco posted:

Once enemies are alerted to your presence, it seems like the invisibility doesn't really serve any purpose.

An enemies "alertness" of you isn't actually affected by the invisibility sphere. As The Kins states, it affects their aiming offset, and in Doom that's all it's supposed to do.
Heretic altered this behavior so that you are less likely to alert enemies (on sight) based on distance and speed.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 24, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Monsters that fire at a player with the invisibility powerup have their aim offset by a random angle. In theory, this should cause monsters to miss players with that powerup more often. In theory.

Ah yes. In practice this means I dodge into their bullets, every god damned time.

Invisibility Powerup- Not Even Once.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What's a good mapset for a first time playing Hideous Destructor?

RickVoid posted:

Ah yes. In practice this means I dodge into their bullets, every god damned time.

Invisibility Powerup- Not Even Once.

Custom monster mods should steal more shmup tricks, like shooting patterns around the player instead of directly at them :getin:

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 24, 2017

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The partial invisibility is a trade-off: hitscan enemies miss a lot, while projectiles become dangerously unpredictable.

It can either be a blessing or a curse. If it's placed before a bunch of shotgunners or chaingunners, it's helpful. Before a roomful of imps of something, it can serve as a trap.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 24, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QYD8Dz2FE

Found this randomly on youtube and it's got some interesting history I didn't know

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I didn't get to DM until 2001 on Doom Connector + Doom Legacy but even so watching this kind of stuff gives me that nostalgic feeling from the shareware days.

Unrelated news:

https://twitter.com/tdDaz/status/889420269022060544

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DisDisDis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QYD8Dz2FE

Found this randomly on youtube and it's got some interesting history I didn't know

This is fascinating, and I don't even know why.

Also, woo, Montreal! :toot: :canada:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Max Wilco posted:

It's basically to screw with hitscan attacks (chaingunners, shotgunners, etc.), yeah. As other posters have noted, it also screws around with projectiles, but usually in a manner that's detrimental to the player. Personally, I appreciate the fact that invis. spheres make things a little more unpredictable and that you have to be more careful in your dodging, even though that's not the intended use of the power-up.

I've actually taken to placing them in situations in my maps where it's not obvious if it's of any use or not, as I like the idea of putting the dilemma to the player of "Will this hurt me more than it will help me?", "Will I be fighting mostly hitscan or projectile attacks going forward?", etc. Anything to add some more unpredictability, and a little risk/reward to the player's decision making.

EDIT: my one actual problem with blur spheres is the fact that they do nothing about homing revenant rockets. If I could go back to 1994 and change one thing about Doom 2, I would make it so that blur spheres make homing rockets randomly go after other enemies instead of just you.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah when placed correctly blur spheres are good for surviving rooms full of chaingunners but that's about it IMO

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ytisomauq posted:

Just chiming in to say I let your version play and then it went right into playing Jasper's Miami next and it felt really familiar, so that's a good sign. I haven't played Hotline Miami but after checking out the DooM mods and the original I'm very confused how I missed it.

I really like the song and how chill it is, but how does it play when you are blowing up barrels and the subsequent explosions light the enemies on fire?

The track is purely for the post-level score screen. Both Doom and HM have this feature which fits for those states. Also, since its the easiest track to cover out of the whole soundtrack, it was a good place to start.

To be honest I'm proud of how well it loops.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just needs cropping under the REAL LIFE SUCKS and the bargain roundel deleting and voila! an ideal poster for your cube wall.

Also Bundlestars has a deal on Steam keys for Quake I, II and III plus the mission packs, but they're 95% sold out after like two hours out of 24 so they'll not be available much longer.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Duke Nukem and Freddy Krueger share the screen in Ready Player One, the new Spielberg movie, ok you win I'll see the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE&t=90s

drat I misread that as Freddy Fazbear and got hyped af for a second.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rocket Pan posted:

An enemies "alertness" of you isn't actually affected by the invisibility sphere. As The Kins states, it affects their aiming offset, and in Doom that's all it's supposed to do.
Hexen altered this behavior so that you are less likely to alert enemies (on sight) based on distance and speed.
It should be noted that the bolded was retrofitted into Doom's Invisibility Sphere for ZDoom and derivatives, and while there's a compatibility option to revert to the vanilla behavior, the default setting for it is the Hexen behavior - so it makes enemies less likely to see you in that source port, even if they'd have long since aggro'd to you in vanilla or PrBoom+ or whatever. It's like the only compatibility flag I've made sure to change, myself.

Not exactly news, since it's been around for like ten years or so. I've always had trouble getting the drat thing to run, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I kinda suspected I'd seen this before. That tweet is recent at least.