Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1285 »
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the loading screens make invisible war and deadly shadows almost unplayable for me these days. its just so irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The exe not running or, on a good day, locking up after 30 seconds no matter what mods and hacks and solutions I apply makes Invisible War unplayable for me these days. No “almost” about it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The best developer anecdote about Thief 4 was the the developers wanted Garrett to have this high tech collapsible compound bow, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work and animate it in game. So they....paid a craftsman several thousand dollars to make it in real life so they could understand how it worked.

Instead of....just giving Garrett a regular bow.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The best developer anecdote about Thief 4 was the the developers wanted Garrett to have this high tech collapsible compound bow, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work and animate it in game. So they....paid a craftsman several thousand dollars to make it in real life so they could understand how it worked.

Instead of....just giving Garrett a regular bow.

That's- so not Garrett's style it loving hurts.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the loading screens make invisible war and deadly shadows almost unplayable for me these days. its just so irritating.

Thief 3 gold patch removes the loading stuff from deadly shadows

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

It's Steampunk Batman. I'll take a metal bow any day, that's metal as hell. Square Enix gave Tomb Raider the wooden bow in 2013, 2014 was the year of metal bow for Thief. Hitman is gonna have some kinda laser bow in the next game, and it's gonna be cool too drat it

The James Caan movie Thief is good by the way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you do a really good job of making me not ever want anything you talk about

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

you do a really good job of making me not ever want anything you talk about

I like Jojo too, had that manga on CD-R back in the day. So now you're hosed!

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Fare-thee-well, oh you Barbary merchants,
Fare-thee well to the Spanish Blockade,
Fare-thee-well to the Straits of Gibraltar,
and the treacherous seas of Cathay...

the nucas posted:

i'd love to read a detailed postmortem on nuthief. apparently it started out with a more DXHR style progression system but there was a shakeup with producers half way through production (the progression system was discarded because "garrett is already the master thief!") and all the game's mechanics went out the window. no idea why the plot stopped making any sense at all about half way through, though.

i remember before it was released seeing a promo video on the website where they were interviewing designers and the new production team side by side and they were taking these barely veiled digs at each other about "throwing work away" and stuff, i couldn't believe they actually had it up on the main page. i've occasionally tried to find it on youtube ever since but no luck.

i ultimately enjoyed it even if it wasn't very true to the originals, though i also specifically avoided using the blink move, and the "poppies" you could eat that would highlight all the interactables in the game world which was like chump mode.

I remember Rhianna Pratchett was attached to the project for a while, but dropped out.

Heavy Metal posted:

It's Steampunk Batman. I'll take a metal bow any day, that's metal as hell. Square Enix gave Tomb Raider the wooden bow in 2013, 2014 was the year of metal bow for Thief. Hitman is gonna have some kinda laser bow in the next game, and it's gonna be cool too drat it

From Zero Punctuation's review of Thief (2014):

http://zeropunctuation.wikia.com/wiki/Thief posted:

The Garrett I remember falling in love with was a straight-talking, unapologetic anti-hero who knew when things were serious but was always ready to offer a bit of dry wit to camera upon finding a nobleman's private spanking saddle. He was not Batman, but that's what they've made him into! A broody misery-guts who communicates solely in growly macho soundbites that only make sense until you think about them!

If you asked Old Garrett why he stole, he'd answer "'Cause I need to pay rent, and it's the only thing I'm good at, so shut up and let go of your wallet." New Garrett would (and indeed does) give the answer "Because it's what I do." No, Garrett, it's what you are currently doing.

"Hey, Yahtzee, why are you kicking New Garrett in the stomach?"
"'Cause it's what I'm currently doing!"

They're not "putting a new spin" on the guy, they're boiling down a complex and interesting character into a boring, easily-digestible archetype, i.e. Batman.

Heavy Metal posted:

The James Caan movie Thief is good by the way
Haven't actually seen it, but the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is really good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I will accept that the game is bad, so I can have some peace here in my home, the early FPS thread. It is bad. James Caan and 80s music is good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

The planet's dyin', CJ!

Garrett having the bow from Crysis sounds cool as hell and if Thi4f has that then I might have to play it

edit: Oh, I'm not supposed to like thi4f. uhhhh #NOT MY THIEF or whatever

edit again: Oh nice it's 5 dollars on steam thanks to the sale, well let's see if it's as good as the old ones or just Dishonored-but-bad.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2018 around 23:24

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Klaus88 posted:

They took a guy who preferred getting exploited by his landlord over a pretty lovely apartment he couldn't pay for to living in a literal invisible magic castle complex and put him into a secret lair in a loving clocktower covered in stolen goods he never bothers to sell.

They missed the point of that character about as hard as it's possible to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

The planet's dyin', CJ!

I've played a little bit and so far it's basically what I described, a less good Dishonored. It is far and away from a bad game though considering some of the poo poo that's out there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's quite bad in comparison to the games that came before it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

The planet's dyin', CJ!

Is it? How? Just seems like a different take on the formula with some added edginess to me. It's pretty clearly aping Dishonored wholesale (in tone and mission structure) and it probably would have been better without all the grit but I'm still having fun.

edit: Also, "quite bad compared to one of the best stealth games ever made" is a pretty lovely comparison lol. Every video game is quite bad compared to games that are the pinnacle of their genre so saying that means very little.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2018 around 00:47

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

New Doom 2 world record speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVtfU5qNh0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kudos to that!

Random note, I'd like a Canadian slick reimagining of just about every game. MGS Twin Snakes is another example there.

«1285 »