Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the loading screens make invisible war and deadly shadows almost unplayable for me these days. its just so irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The exe not running or, on a good day, locking up after 30 seconds no matter what mods and hacks and solutions I apply makes Invisible War unplayable for me these days. No “almost” about it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The best developer anecdote about Thief 4 was the the developers wanted Garrett to have this high tech collapsible compound bow, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work and animate it in game. So they....paid a craftsman several thousand dollars to make it in real life so they could understand how it worked.

Instead of....just giving Garrett a regular bow.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The best developer anecdote about Thief 4 was the the developers wanted Garrett to have this high tech collapsible compound bow, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work and animate it in game. So they....paid a craftsman several thousand dollars to make it in real life so they could understand how it worked.

Instead of....just giving Garrett a regular bow.

:psyboom:

That's- so not Garrett's style it loving hurts.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the loading screens make invisible war and deadly shadows almost unplayable for me these days. its just so irritating.

Thief 3 gold patch removes the loading stuff from deadly shadows

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

It's Steampunk Batman. I'll take a metal bow any day, that's metal as hell. Square Enix gave Tomb Raider the wooden bow in 2013, 2014 was the year of metal bow for Thief. Hitman is gonna have some kinda laser bow in the next game, and it's gonna be cool too drat it

The James Caan movie Thief is good by the way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you do a really good job of making me not ever want anything you talk about

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

you do a really good job of making me not ever want anything you talk about

I like Jojo too, had that manga on CD-R back in the day. So now you're hosed!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

the nucas posted:

i'd love to read a detailed postmortem on nuthief. apparently it started out with a more DXHR style progression system but there was a shakeup with producers half way through production (the progression system was discarded because "garrett is already the master thief!") and all the game's mechanics went out the window. no idea why the plot stopped making any sense at all about half way through, though.

i remember before it was released seeing a promo video on the website where they were interviewing designers and the new production team side by side and they were taking these barely veiled digs at each other about "throwing work away" and stuff, i couldn't believe they actually had it up on the main page. i've occasionally tried to find it on youtube ever since but no luck.

i ultimately enjoyed it even if it wasn't very true to the originals, though i also specifically avoided using the blink move, and the "poppies" you could eat that would highlight all the interactables in the game world which was like chump mode.

I remember Rhianna Pratchett was attached to the project for a while, but dropped out.

Heavy Metal posted:

It's Steampunk Batman. I'll take a metal bow any day, that's metal as hell. Square Enix gave Tomb Raider the wooden bow in 2013, 2014 was the year of metal bow for Thief. Hitman is gonna have some kinda laser bow in the next game, and it's gonna be cool too drat it

From Zero Punctuation's review of Thief (2014):

http://zeropunctuation.wikia.com/wiki/Thief posted:

The Garrett I remember falling in love with was a straight-talking, unapologetic anti-hero who knew when things were serious but was always ready to offer a bit of dry wit to camera upon finding a nobleman's private spanking saddle. He was not Batman, but that's what they've made him into! A broody misery-guts who communicates solely in growly macho soundbites that only make sense until you think about them!

If you asked Old Garrett why he stole, he'd answer "'Cause I need to pay rent, and it's the only thing I'm good at, so shut up and let go of your wallet." New Garrett would (and indeed does) give the answer "Because it's what I do." No, Garrett, it's what you are currently doing.

"Hey, Yahtzee, why are you kicking New Garrett in the stomach?"
"'Cause it's what I'm currently doing!"

They're not "putting a new spin" on the guy, they're boiling down a complex and interesting character into a boring, easily-digestible archetype, i.e. Batman.

Heavy Metal posted:

The James Caan movie Thief is good by the way
Haven't actually seen it, but the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is really good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I will accept that the game is bad, so I can have some peace here in my home, the early FPS thread. It is bad. James Caan and 80s music is good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Garrett having the bow from Crysis sounds cool as hell and if Thi4f has that then I might have to play it

edit: Oh, I'm not supposed to like thi4f. uhhhh #NOT MY THIEF or whatever

edit again: Oh nice it's 5 dollars on steam thanks to the sale, well let's see if it's as good as the old ones or just Dishonored-but-bad.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Klaus88 posted:

They took a guy who preferred getting exploited by his landlord over a pretty lovely apartment he couldn't pay for to living in a literal invisible magic castle complex and put him into a secret lair in a loving clocktower covered in stolen goods he never bothers to sell.

They missed the point of that character about as hard as it's possible to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've played a little bit and so far it's basically what I described, a less good Dishonored. It is far and away from a bad game though considering some of the poo poo that's out there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's quite bad in comparison to the games that came before it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is it? How? Just seems like a different take on the formula with some added edginess to me. It's pretty clearly aping Dishonored wholesale (in tone and mission structure) and it probably would have been better without all the grit but I'm still having fun.

edit: Also, "quite bad compared to one of the best stealth games ever made" is a pretty lovely comparison lol. Every video game is quite bad compared to games that are the pinnacle of their genre so saying that means very little.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 18, 2018

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
New Doom 2 world record speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVtfU5qNh0

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kudos to that!

Random note, I'd like a Canadian slick reimagining of just about every game. MGS Twin Snakes is another example there.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CJacobs posted:

Garrett having the bow from Crysis sounds cool as hell and if Thi4f has that then I might have to play it

edit: Oh, I'm not supposed to like thi4f. uhhhh #NOT MY THIEF or whatever

edit again: Oh nice it's 5 dollars on steam thanks to the sale, well let's see if it's as good as the old ones or just Dishonored-but-bad.

The point is that the developers brute forced the solution to a rather stupid problem instead of doing the easy and efficient thing, and that philosophy bleeds over into the rest of the game. There's third person canned animated take downs. You can't jump unless the game wants you to. You can't even fire a water arrow unless you're locked onto a light source. Some levels end with these Prince of Persia style action set piece escape sequences that are badly choreographed and annoying to play.

My personal problems with the game aren't so much that it isn't like the old games, it's that it feels like the developers wanted to do anything BUT make a Thief game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Eidos Montréal aren't allowed to make original IP games, they're the Canadian equivalent of prisoners (they don't have prisons there). They're not allowed to leave the building, they have quaint bunk beds and whatnot. Nice breakfast though I hear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can any eidos branch make an original game

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i really dont like how much contextual poo poo there is in modern games. it really limits experimentation if you can only do x at x point.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Thi4f's development was a disaster and the game's storyline is a mash-up of like 5 different scripts written by different people, but if you really want to play an average Dishonored clone then you'll probably have fun. I bought it full price back when it released and while it isn't worth 60 dollars whatsoever it came out at the right time for me since somehow I ended up sinking 50 hours into it and it's one of the very few games on Steam I have 100% on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Like I remember Thifourf having a mostly third person view and a completely different experience system (you'd get points for killing/knocking out/headshots which is gone from the final release) completely changed mere months from the game's release. There's some remnants there in the finished game like the one or two sudden camera switches to linear third person climbing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My verdict on Thi4f: It's alright. I wouldn't say it's the best stealth game of all time or anything but it is good even with all the contextual stuff someone complained about a few posts up. I think it's a case of the developers not trusting you to do it on your own at the right time, so they take away your ability to do it anywhere else. And I do feel the complaints about the story feeling like it's going a bunch of different directions for sure, I'd say the writing is probably the weakest part which is a shame because the writing in some of Eidos Montreal's other games is really good.

Regardless of those issues I take with it, the gameplay is still fun enough that I'm sticking with it and stealing goodies is just as satisfying as it was in other Thief games, character assassination of Garrett aside (I miss Stephen Russell). Five dollars is a drat steal for it in any case. You can hardly go wrong for five bucks, really.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i really dont like how much contextual poo poo there is in modern games. it really limits experimentation if you can only do x at x point.

same as hell.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is Ion Maiden still coming out?

https://arthurianlegends.itch.io/arthurian-legends Anybody checked this out yet? Looks like Witchaven.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I think so? The devs are going to GDC and showing the game there, which would be a bit weird if they weren't working on it.

Meanwhile, here's some GZDoom eye candy:
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/957305310460465152
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/957692797485748224
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/959850750062006272

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Okay but when is this actually releasing and when will someone make a weapon/enemy mod to match the tileset? :(

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Goodness gracious those are tasty. Yeah that needs a nice weapon set to compliment the levels.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

:tipshat:

I always felt Thief was halfway to being a great game but the monster levels really it down. Also god drat Thief and System Shock 2 have the most terrifying videogame spiders imaginable.

Have you got Thief 2 btw? As that is by far the better game, level design is amazing and it doesn't have the duff monster levels.

I always felt that Thief 2 had the best levels, but also the worst levels. Shipping and Receiving and Life of the Party are masterworks, but Kidnap is worse than anything in Thief 1 -- including Return to the Cathedral and Down in the Bonehoard -- and it suffers from ending on a real turd of a level, Sabotage at Soulforge, which had a lot of potential and completely squanders it. Granted, The Maw is a hard act to follow, but it feels like Sabotage doesn't even try.

doctorfrog posted:

I liked both and I have both. :) I'm a happy Thief player (I never played anything but Thief I and II.)

If you liked TDP and TMA, you should check out the unofficial T2 expansion, Shadows of the Metal Age -- it's quite good and retains the T2 "feel" really well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I loved Down in the Bonehoard tbh, it’s a good example of how you can make a satisfying dungeon map even if your combat is not super fun or really even a major part of the game.

e: it felt like a Dark Messiah level with a sad lack of things to kick people into.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

I think so? The devs are going to GDC and showing the game there, which would be a bit weird if they weren't working on it.

Meanwhile, here's some GZDoom eye candy:
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/957305310460465152
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/957692797485748224
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/959850750062006272

I want to play this blade runner game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://arthurianlegends.itch.io/arthurian-legends Anybody checked this out yet? Looks like Witchaven.

looks cool name is rear end tho.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dark Messiah is a great Thief game. If someone spots you, a kick on to a spike rack eliminates any witness. :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Life of the Party was that so good many people try to imitate it too closely. Most Dishonored levels felt like variations of that style.

ToxicFrog posted:

If you liked TDP and TMA, you should check out the unofficial T2 expansion, Shadows of the Metal Age -- it's quite good and retains the T2 "feel" really well.
Is that the one with the non-lethal metal hammer? I think I gave up in that huge, humongous and dark as gently caress dungeon map.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

skasion posted:

I loved Down in the Bonehoard tbh, it’s a good example of how you can make a satisfying dungeon map even if your combat is not super fun or really even a major part of the game.

e: it felt like a Dark Messiah level with a sad lack of things to kick people into.

Down in the Bonehoard has lots of great individual tombs and stuff and lots of tedious burrick-filled cave crawling and "where am I?" bits between those. It's a level with a lot of filler between the good parts, and it's not even good filler; I think it would be a much better level after some fairly harsh cuts.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is that the one with the non-lethal metal hammer? I think I gave up in that huge, humongous and dark as gently caress dungeon map.

I don't remember, it's been a few years since I played it.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, the "knockout hammer" was T2X. I don't remember any particularly dark levels though - the Mausoleus one, possibly?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not sure I'd cut any level from Thief 1, outside of the Thieves Guild if we're talking Thief Gold. That level is quite possibly the worst Thief level in existence. I agree Thief 2 has some of the best levels in the series but also some of the worst ones too but none of Thief 2's levels suck as much as the Thieves Guild does.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Death's Cold Embrace is another excellent T2 campaign mod that came out last fall. It does some pretty interesting things and has a bit of jank in places but seems largely solid from what I've played of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just think it's great they're still making Thief levels in Dromed and slappin' em on TTLG. Sweet christ do I have a lot of FMs to catch up on if I ever get around to playing Thief again (it's my video games retirement plan).