Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Someday I will play Zero Tolerance multiplayer.

Augh! Top of page?!
What little music there is is fun too, even if it makes my tinitus scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9aQ-Y0wOcI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I beat MP1 and the Katana mod's campaign, moving on to MP2 now. I'm experimenting with overhaul mods and uh, does Payne Effects have some sort of weird mixture of regenerating health and painkillers or something? I stood in front of a couple guys shooting me in the face and I'm pretty sure I was effectively taking zero damage for the first few seconds, until I was.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ToxicFrog posted:

Yep. Also Ultima Underworld 1/2, System Shock, and Pathways into Darkness. And I think it's conceptually possible in Quake 1.

Quake 1 has a mod specifically aimed around doing exactly that, The Demon King. It's pretty good, albeit pretty hard from what I remember. (Part of that was I couldn't quite figure out where I needed to go back when I played it years ago)

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

So I beat MP1 and the Katana mod's campaign, moving on to MP2 now. I'm experimenting with overhaul mods and uh, does Payne Effects have some sort of weird mixture of regenerating health and painkillers or something? I stood in front of a couple guys shooting me in the face and I'm pretty sure I was effectively taking zero damage for the first few seconds, until I was.

I'm playing through with a first person mod right now, it works pretty well.

http://giant.gfycat.com/IllegalShinyEarwig.webm

So far with Creative Alchemy on, I haven't noticed any actual EAX effects, so playing with that IndirectSound wrapper is about the same experience

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Kins posted:

Damage Incorporated is also worth a shot if you're going through old Mac/Marathon Engine stuff. Commanding a squad to blast white-supremacists while shouting Sabbath lyrics is always a good time. There's also a Windows 95 version, but, uh, good loving luck getting it to run on modern machines.

It also has this blasting on the title screen for no reason other than why not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkkU6Oj6Bo

Damage Inc is just screaming for a remake.

If you've never played Damage Inc, picture this: One set of missions involves you taking back an IRS building from the Minutemen, a radical anti-government militia that wants to blow up the fed and thus destroy taxes forever. They stormed the building with a bunch of AR-15s, took the staff hostage and set up fertilizer bombs, and now your squad needs to resolve the situation. For this mission, you get two soldiers watching your back - I like to go with Preacher (a black preacher whose church was burnt down by bigots) and Vidiot (a videogame addict with clear mental health problems). You can normally have up to three squadmates of your choosing, but for this mission you're assigned a freelance hacker to defuse the bomb (who also happens to hate the military and constantly calls you and your men monstrous baby killers, and will often refuse to return gunfire out of principle).

Through the entire game your enemies are all racists and sovereign citizens and tea party gun nuts, and in the end the wave of right-wing violence is found to have been supported by a european fascist organization called A Better Tomorrow. It's the most 2018 game that's ever been made, and it came out over two decades ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Also, since it didn't get posted here: The Windows Steam version of the Turok 1 remaster has a public beta going for an upcoming patch, adding the various under the hood improvements from Turok 2 and the Xbox ports, as well as an alternate soundtrack and a Time Trial mode for the training course.

I am absolutely thrilled that the only other people besides me that still care about this game are the developers :allears:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DoombatINC posted:

If you've never played Damage Inc, picture this: One set of missions involves you taking back an IRS building from the Minutemen, a radical anti-government militia that wants to blow up the fed and thus destroy taxes forever. They stormed the building with a bunch of AR-15s, took the staff hostage and set up fertilizer bombs, and now your squad needs to resolve the situation. For this mission, you get two soldiers watching your back - I like to go with Preacher (a black preacher whose church was burnt down by bigots) and Vidiot (a videogame addict with clear mental health problems). You can normally have up to three squadmates of your choosing, but for this mission you're assigned a freelance hacker to defuse the bomb (who also happens to hate the military and constantly calls you and your men monstrous baby killers, and will often refuse to return gunfire out of principle).

Through the entire game your enemies are all racists and sovereign citizens and tea party gun nuts, and in the end the wave of right-wing violence is found to have been supported by a european fascist organization called A Better Tomorrow. It's the most 2018 game that's ever been made, and it came out over two decades ago.

:wtf: I wish I could play this!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DoombatINC posted:

I would like to subscribe to this game's newsletter

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I started getting nostalgic for Damage Inc after typing that so I started watching some YouTube clips of it (forgot that you get four squadmates and not three apparently, oop) and I found a video with the ending speech. After congratulating you and a few minutes of rah rah rahs, they play some captured recordings of the Main Bad Guy. While they start a little incoherent, they lead to a twist I had totally forgotten about - Accelerationism :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFI-Uv8z-4&t=235s

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Kins posted:

For those of you who were wondering (you probably weren't, but...), Klingon Honor Guard was the best game of this set, not that that's a huge hurdle to climb. From some ancient iteration of the PC Gamer website:

PC Gamer gave Duke Nukem Forever an 80%, for the record. It's $3.99 on steam at the moment, not a bad deal folks. I forget what PC Gamer gave Daikatana.

Duke Grabowski, Mighty Swashbuckler is currently $1.99 on steam.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 22, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

PC Gamer gave Duke Nukem Forever an 80%, for the record. It's $3.99 on steam at the moment, not a bad deal folks. I forget what PC Gamer gave Daikatana.

With five minutes of starting the game, you can pluck a glistening turd from a toilet and clutch it in your meaty paw. I'm not sure how you could give a game like that a sub-80% score. :iiam:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

With five minutes of starting the game, you can pluck a glistening turd from a toilet and clutch it in your meaty paw. I'm not sure how you could give a game like that a sub-80% score. :iiam:

You make it look easy, they should call you Stephen Cream! Better than Stephen King any day. I wonder what Todd Howard would think about Klingon Honor Guard, or about anything really, random note. If you say Todd Howard a few times like BeetleJuice or Candyman, well you know what happens... not that I would invoke such a force.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

That was back when the UK and US magazines were different though. UK version gave it a much worse score.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quoting Chocolate Boom author Fraggle from that thread:

quote:

Very sad indeed. I never knew Jim myself but his name (along with Lee here) is all over the Boom source code in comments. Looking back, hacking on the MBF source code to write SMMU when I was 17-18 had a big effect on my formative development as a programmer, and Jim is one of the people whose footprints I was following in.

Here's his changelog listing all the stuff he did on Boom. Among other things it looks like he was responsible for implementing most of the generalized linedef/sector types. So next time you're mapping for "Boom compatible" (as I know many people still are), spare a thought for Jim.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DoombatINC posted:

drat this sounds loving awesome!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, after trying out a few gameplay overhaul for Max Payne 2 I've decided to stick with vanilla.* I didn't even bother trying Elements of Style because it's just too over the top and cheesy. Payne Evolution is impressive for what it is but gently caress that three weapon limit and it's probably too much like MP3, anyways. I actually liked most of the changes made by it's "predecessor," Payne Effects 3 but it's just way to easy, thanks to its regenerating health. So stock Payne it is after all!

*I did end up installing a soundpack.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DoombatINC posted:

Vidiot (a videogame addict with clear mental health problems)

Ohhhhhhh. Word?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Ohhhhhhh. Word?
IIRC he's voiced by the guy who did the BOBs in Marathon as well.

Here's an odd one. Piko Interactive are bringing Last Rites to Steam in a little under a day. This is a strange zombie-apocalypse-themed FPS from 1997 that was previously only released in Europe. It has some lovely spritework, but I had a lot of performance issues, even playing it in DOSbox on a computer that can kick Doom 2016's rear end. Hopefully this version has a good config set up!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

IIRC he's voiced by the guy who did the BOBs in Marathon as well.

Here's an odd one. Piko Interactive are bringing Last Rites to Steam in a little under a day. This is a strange zombie-apocalypse-themed FPS from 1997 that was previously only released in Europe. It has some lovely spritework, but I had a lot of performance issues, even playing it in DOSbox on a computer that can kick Doom 2016's rear end. Hopefully this version has a good config set up!

Oh wow, I saw some gameplay video of that when I was looking some old FPS game footage up on Youtube. I did not expect to see this announcement!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Q1SP DM4 Jam is out now. 23 new singleplayer maps inspired by Id's DM4.

Also, with the recent Max Payne discussion, I got linked to something weird and made a quick video of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePMLYKfLmL4

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Oof, Amid Evil really does go to poo poo in episode 3.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Based on my research earlier today, that isn't actually particularly true; Creative did an implementation of A3D 1.0 (no idea how good an implementation, but an implementation nonetheless), but A3D 2.0 remains locked to actual Aureal Vortex 2 sound cards, and A3D 2.0 is significantly more impressive (see HolyKrap's video).

Though getting EAX working is nice in and of itself, of course. I don't actually have a Creative sound card in this rig, and in this day and age I'm not sure it's really worth getting a dedicated Creative sound card (you get, what, a better DAC? I'm sure that's great for an audiophile, I dunno that I'm quite there yet), so I dunno that I could really take advantage of hardware-based EAX or anything.

Unless you are into digital audio mixing or you are using >$1k worth of audio equipment, would using a dedicated sound card even make a difference these days? I distinctly remember begging my parents for a Soundblaster Live! when I built my first PC back in 1999 because it was the only way to get not lovely sound. Also the adds in gaming mags at the time had a noticeable effect...

However, and I feel like I’m in the majority here, every gaming rig I’ve built since like 2005 has used the motherboard for sound and it’s....fine? Games, music, video all sound great, even with headphones. I’m pushing mid 30s now so maybe I’m also just getting too old to notice?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Unless you are into digital audio mixing or you are using >$1k worth of audio equipment, would using a dedicated sound card even make a difference these days?

Yes - some people's motherboards have very noisy onboard sound, especially after they've had them for a while and something gets loose/corroded. In that case a simple new soundcard will do wonders for fixing the problem at its source, and usually will be a bit more reliable anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Unless you are into digital audio mixing or you are using >$1k worth of audio equipment, would using a dedicated sound card even make a difference these days? I distinctly remember begging my parents for a Soundblaster Live! when I built my first PC back in 1999 because it was the only way to get not lovely sound. Also the adds in gaming mags at the time had a noticeable effect...

However, and I feel like I’m in the majority here, every gaming rig I’ve built since like 2005 has used the motherboard for sound and it’s....fine? Games, music, video all sound great, even with headphones. I’m pushing mid 30s now so maybe I’m also just getting too old to notice?

My fancy $200 motherboard has a sound chip that makes popping noises during audio playback so I bought a $30 sound card that fixed the problem

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Any audiophile will probably be using a USB DAC, not an internal sound card.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

Yes - some people's motherboards have very noisy onboard sound, especially after they've had them for a while and something gets loose/corroded. In that case a simple new soundcard will do wonders for fixing the problem at its source, and usually will be a bit more reliable anyway.

This is a problem I forgot about with onboard sound, I remember mine was pretty noisy. If you're going to get a soundcard tor this reason, make sure it has EMI shielding.

Another benefit would be surround sound virtualization for headphones. My Sound Blaster X AE-5 lets you set your headphones up so games can detect them as 7.1 speakers, then it downmixes to stereo and gives you a slider to change how strong the surround sound effect is. Not sure if onboard sound does that kinda thing yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

This is a problem I forgot about with onboard sound, I remember mine was pretty noisy. If you're going to get a soundcard tor this reason, make sure it has EMI shielding.

Another benefit would be surround sound virtualization for headphones. My Sound Blaster X AE-5 lets you set your headphones up so games can detect them as 7.1 speakers, then it downmixes to stereo and gives you a slider to change how strong the surround sound effect is. Not sure if onboard sound does that kinda thing yet

Virtual surround sound for headphones got integrated into Windows 10, believe it or not

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Fallom posted:

Virtual surround sound for headphones got integrated into Windows 10, believe it or not

Oh you're right, completely forgot that existed cause it doesn't work with my sound drivers :(

Does it sound decent? I should hope it's at least better than the CMSS-3D that my old SB Audigy had. IIRC it's also on the Xbox one

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 24, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does virtual surround sound actually work, I've always dreaded trying to use it

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Fallom posted:

Whoa! I checked the properties for my headset output and sure enough there's a "Spatial Sound" tab. What's the easiest way to test this out?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lork posted:

Whoa! I checked the properties for my headset output and sure enough there's a "Spatial Sound" tab. What's the easiest way to test this out?

I didn't even know this was an option so I Googled a bit and this was one of the first articles

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-sonic-headphones/

Which leads to Dolby's site and there's a few trailers in .mp4 format that allegedly shows the difference. I really couldn't tell but I'm using some cheap Bluetooth Headphones and they may not take advantage of it. Also, my hearing is pretty crappy anyway. Maybe you'll get some use out of it :)

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

site posted:

Does virtual surround sound actually work, I've always dreaded trying to use it

It does work but it doesn't sound as impressive as something like HRTF. I tried making a comparison video but I'm not sure if Shadowplay can record this audio properly. In the windows audio settings my sound shows up as 5.1, and 7.1 in my sound blaster control panel. I tried comparisons in Prey 2006 and SMOD, but Prey ended up sounding distorted in the recording. fyi this isn't windows sonic, so you might get different results

https://streamable.com/kvypc
Not sure if my video captured it very well, but I find surround virtualization mostly just makes the stereo panning feel a little smoother and adds a little depth to it. It's nice but what we really need is HRTF. Hopefully we'll start seeing more of it with VR getting popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BltHXngvlk

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 24, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been using my SB Audigy 2 for a loooong time already and I do notice the difference when using my motherboard one. Like just the output power on the sound blaster is higher and it never ever have distortion. I like playing with headphones and being able to play some older games with EAX is cool to keep my ancient PCI card around. Considering that a sound card isn't expensive nowadays, when I get to build a newer PC (my motherboard is from 2011), I'll get a cheap sound blaster or whatever over integrated one. More so when I still remember that I had to use my SB over integrated when games like BF3 stressed them too much that they needed a patch to not crash on integrated.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I keep my sound card in the case but then again my case is huge and silent.

Then again, I do have couple audio editing software and prefer everything this way. Having seperate output from the motherboard and sound card lets me have couple of internal audio devices for synths or music.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I've been using my SB Audigy 2 for a loooong time already and I do notice the difference when using my motherboard one. Like just the output power on the sound blaster is higher and it never ever have distortion. I like playing with headphones and being able to play some older games with EAX is cool to keep my ancient PCI card around. Considering that a sound card isn't expensive nowadays, when I get to build a newer PC (my motherboard is from 2011), I'll get a cheap sound blaster or whatever over integrated one. More so when I still remember that I had to use my SB over integrated when games like BF3 stressed them too much that they needed a patch to not crash on integrated.

I do miss EAX in the older games I play, but I recently bought a Gamecom 788 USB headset for cheap and I must say, I've been really happy with it.

But yea, I don't know what you call it, but I sort of miss the "sound" wars between A3D and Creative of the late 90s. In a way it mirrored the 3D wars going on between Nvidia/ATI/3DFX at the time. With every major new game, you spent just as much time gushing over the cool new tech (5.1 EAX sound! 32bit color! Dynamic lighting!) as you did the gameplay.

Hell this review maks it seem like you couldn't possibly play Half-Life without A3D 2.0 (and they were right lol)

https://books.google.com/books?id=I...20world&f=false

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

That interview with Dave Rossum from Creative is pretty interesting. I guess EAX being "simple to use" in comparison to A3D just wasn't enough

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I still use a Sound Blaster card and I pipe the output of an external Roland midi device back into it and then I wirelessly stream the AV with a Steam Link and then grabbag.mid plays out of the speakers in my plasma television.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

^ Groovy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Snagged Ion Maiden for the hell of it, and drat is it fun. The levels are so saturated with secrets... it's amazing :allears:

I've been playing Icarus with HXRTC and absolutely loving it. The mod is pretty drat ridiculous and seems to spiral out of control (in your favor) once you get some decent guns. I love having a huge arsenal to pull from, adding many new types of ammo is a huge slab of icing on top. Can't wait to get to load it up in another mega-wad!