Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1382 »
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Odd Mutant posted:

Doom 64 removes the reloading animation for the Super Shotgun thus making it the worst Doom game out of principle.

VikingofRock posted:

Does anyone play old school FPS games with a trackball mouse? I feel like they would be excellent for circle strafing since you never run out of mousepad, having to lift up the mouse.

Had a friend who swore by trackball mouse playing CoD4 years ago. I never could get the hang of it but apparently it made it a lot easier to control recoil of more modern shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Does anyone play old school FPS games with a trackball mouse? I feel like they would be excellent for circle strafing since you never run out of mousepad, having to lift up the mouse.
My mom is a drafter so my first pointing device ended up being a 40 button trackball with a custom printed overlay for AutoCad. It didn't play well with Windows 95 so we switched to a Logitech trackball. I continued using various iterations of those until 3 years ago when I bought my first Elecom trackball, and now I own 3 of them. I much prefer them to using mice.

Edit:

In case you were wondeding what a 40 button trackball looks like. LGR covered the mouse version of this a while back. I've been meaning to ask if he'd like to borrow it. It's not the most ergonomic thing in the world and the ball doesn't roll very well.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2018 around 19:03

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really miss ergonomic keyboards like the ones in the 90's and early 2000's. The ones split in the middle. I had a Microsoft one for like 5 or 6 years and loved it. Shame they barely make them now (I think Microsoft still makes them but can't find them on stock).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

According to the various GDQ speedrunners they are the input device of choice for Wolf3D for much that reason.

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

I used to have a split keyboard back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Other people hated it. My grandma still had one a couple of years ago when we got her computer replaced it didn't come with a PS2 port and the keyboard didn't work with an adapter. We have the split keyboards at one of my jobs but I've lost the touch and can't stand them anymore.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I really miss ergonomic keyboards like the ones in the 90's and early 2000's. The ones split in the middle. I had a Microsoft one for like 5 or 6 years and loved it. Shame they barely make them now (I think Microsoft still makes them but can't find them on stock).

Like this?

https://www.staples.com/Microsoft-N.../product_617433

I used to work in government IT contracting and we had a bunch of users (typically older) who refused to use anything other than these keyboards. I personally can never get used to them, but they're not that hard to find if you know where to look.

site
Apr 6, 2007

I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my waifu.

i have one of those old microsoft ergonomic keyboards and i think the angling helps my wrist for extended gameplay sessions but ironically i cant really type on it worth poo poo

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Like this?

I used to work in government IT contracting and we had a bunch of users (typically older) who refused to use anything other than these keyboards. I personally can never get used to them, but they're not that hard to find if you know where to look.
Yeah, those are the ones we have.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit
Every DSA is a cop

Salad Prong

VikingofRock posted:

It's about all I use for a mouse when I'm not on a trackpad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Why does the mouse movement in gdxBlood feel so damned wonky?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Like this?

Yeah, I had a more simple one years ago and I typed lightning fast on it because I really liked the angle. I'm currently using a Gigabyte Aivia (mechanical) and will last a good bunch of years but I may get one of those for my job as I have a lovely one right now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why does the mouse movement in gdxBlood feel so damned wonky?

the x and y axis have different sensitivities so it feels really hosed up

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the x and y axis have different sensitivities so it feels really hosed up

Can I fix this? It's giving me mesothelioma and I might be entitled to compensation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

THE WHIPPED CREAM GENOCIDE BROUHAHA

ProjektorBoy posted:

To this day the ambiance and sound design of Doom64 keeps me from being able to play it at night. I couldn't do it when I was 14. I can't do it now at 34. It's so damned terrifying. Especially 'Dark Citadel', 'Watch Your Step', and 'In The Void'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA

goons posted:

Trackballs

I've been thinking of getting one. What's the recommended model, if any? Thumb-ball or finger-ball? The Logitech M570 seems to be the only one worth its salt from what I see.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

~death to capitalism~
Chrome OS is shit
Every DSA is a cop

Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IE1NmyrbWA

I've been thinking of getting one. What's the recommended model, if any? Thumb-ball or finger-ball? The Logitech M570 seems to be the only one worth its salt from what I see.

Logitech M570 is somewhat outclassed now, Logitech has the MX Ergo/Ergo Plus out now which is the same sort of design as the M570, but more durable parts and and adjustable angle for the trackball base itself. The 570 is great and all, I used them for many years, but the MX Ergo is much better if you want to spend the extra $30-$40.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

THE WHIPPED CREAM GENOCIDE BROUHAHA

fishmech posted:

Logitech M570 is somewhat outclassed now, Logitech has the MX Ergo/Ergo Plus out now which is the same sort of design as the M570, but more durable parts and and adjustable angle for the trackball base itself. The 570 is great and all, I used them for many years, but the MX Ergo is much better if you want to spend the extra $30-$40.

Wowzers those are expensive! I was originally thinking of getting the 570 if I spot it on sale or something as a test-run but the adjustable angle would probably affect how much I like using one, so maybe that wouldn't be the best decision.

Casimir Radon
Aug 1, 2008

Elecom EX-G

Similiar to the Logitech offerings but with a high build quality. Sideways scrolling if you want it and it's supported. Cool switch that lowers the sensitivity for precise work or shooting dudes in the head. Offered in wired or wireless with low profile receiver.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Odd Mutant posted:

Doom 64 removes the reloading animation for the Super Shotgun thus making it the worst Doom game out of principle.

The gun itself is so good otherwise, but this poo poo was such a bizarre oversight

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

VikingofRock posted:

I predominantly use a Kensington Expert Mouse (which is a 4-button trackball) and I loving love it. I've been using it for 8 years now, no regrets. I can't use that Logitech trackball-by-my-thumb bullshit, it's just too imprecise.

I also do a lot of audio editing, which the trackball is wonderful for.

Trackballs forever. They're perfect.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

skasion posted:

My mind was completely blown when I learned that berserk doesn’t wear off when the red haze wears off. I played Doom for like ten years before I learned this

What the gently caress

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Bushmaori posted:

The gun itself is so good otherwise, but this poo poo was such a bizarre oversight

I don't think it was an oversight. I remember reading an interview with a D64 designer who said that the weapon animations were overall toned down (regular shotgun doesn't animate when reloading either) along with a bunch of other poo poo being taken out, like Archviles and Revenants, because of the memory limitations of the cartridge.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I played Half-Life all the way up to Xen without realizing that the game had mouse support.

Also ran it in software mode despite having a video card that could run it in OpenGL mode very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Wasn't there also some sort of limitation with the Pain Elementals in Doom 64? Like, they could only summon 2 or 3 lost souls at any given time?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I played Half-Life all the way up to Xen without realizing that the game had mouse support.

Also ran it in software mode despite having a video card that could run it in OpenGL mode very well.

Half-Life was the reason my dad went out last-minute and got us a 32 MB stick of RAM which, when combined with the original 16 MB, gave us a blistering (and weird) 48 MB of RAM to help with load times. And you know what? It worked. We went from taking close to a minute between level transitions, to something much less insane.

«1382 »