Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

There's never too many shotguns.

Not FPS related but in Enter the Gungeon I got a massive shell that fires shotguns and duct taped it to a massive shotgun that fires shells to get a shotgun that fires shotguns :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Shotguns is too much shotguns.

Imagine you have two shotguns. Now imagine that you combined them into a single shotgun with two barrels. You see? The optimum number of shotguns is always one.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Imagine you have two shotguns. Now imagine that you combined them into a single shotgun with two barrels. You see? The optimum number of shotguns is always one.

Yeah but what if you had two of those?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

The Vile Stuff posted:

Duct-tape. Now you have one better shotgun.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Vile Stuff posted:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bushmaori posted:

Is there a hard limit on how many weapons can be in a Doom mod these days? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for some of the larger weapon packs out there, no matter how dumb? I wanted to show my brother some but I deleted my modded Doom directly apparently.

Oh jeez, since you said "no matter how dumb", I feel like "Aeons of Death" might be what you're looking for. It adds like...ten million weapons to the game. Look it up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh jeez, since you said "no matter how dumb", I feel like "Aeons of Death" might be what you're looking for. It adds like...ten million weapons to the game. Look it up.

It really doesn’t get much dumber than that mod. It’s incredible it even works.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgrBa7Xzv_o

Out on the 29th, includes the expansions, back-compat support on PS5.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I wonder if they're going to fix the single player Armour bug, or any other balance/gamefeel aspects. Because as much as I had a nostalgia hardon for finally being able to play Doom3, it's not really a great game to go back to. The whole darkness thing will probably pan out well, however.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

This just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgrBa7Xzv_o

Out on the 29th, includes the expansions, back-compat support on PS5.

Whoa that’s...unexpected and kind of cool.

If the price is right I’d definitely buy this.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DOOM3VR is a cool announcement for PSVR; if you have the PC BFG edition there's a community mod that does much the same thing (I only have a regular D3 install at the moment so haven't tried it but it's meant to be very well done)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1377965478

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ok, they must be getting close to quake 1 by now, even if it's the end of the list

what the gently caress do you mean they're all working on daikatana vr and a pc port of the game boy game?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
But I can play Doom 3 in VR right now

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's too bright, you can see his face.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/AndrewHulshult/status/1367152872476057603

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

That depends on what you define as a Doom mod. A traditional Doom mod with dehacked (which is supported by everything including native support in the official port) can only redefine what already exists, so technically the limit remains at 9 no matter what. A ZDoom specific mod doesn't abide by the same rules and you will run out of memory before you reach any kind of actual limit of weapons defined.

verbal enema posted:

Russian Overkill has an insane amount of weapons. Even has input combos like in fighting games to do special moves.

Also that everything is shotguns weapon pack that one is also absurd

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks guys

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Where is the fukkin mask andrew!!!!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Guillermus posted:

That's too bright, you can see his face.

Also too far away for the shotgun to be effective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

verbal enema posted:

If you're making a public media appearance and know it keeping it off is a good idea for accessibility reasons so people can read your lips. I hope he's distancing from the reporter, the angle isn't clear.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arivia posted:

If you're making a public media appearance and know it keeping it off is a good idea for accessibility reasons so people can read your lips. I hope he's distancing from the reporter, the angle isn't clear.

ah yes very fair my bad

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

verbal enema posted:

It's from last year (he clarified in his tweets) pre COVID

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1367476383161589763?s=20

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Imagine you have two shotguns.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Imagine four shotguns on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the shotgun nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of shotguns and takes the place of the first shotgun. The formerly first shotgun becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Time works the same way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
idk what these are but clearly they're not really shotguns or those fat dudes would be dying way faster

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh jesus christ.

I've only seen a short twitch gif of Cruelty Squad but I cannot possibly imagine buying that and then being surprised at what you got.

Its literally the "I don't know what I expected" clip from Arrested Development. But imagine if he got really angry about it afterwards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A.o.D. posted:

The name of the shotguns mod is bullshit. "Too many shotguns"? What utter nonsense.

Have you played too many shotguns though? I love me some shotguns but that mod is bonkers! (in the best way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSlxtgNaSk

which is your favorite? :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1367563192038268929

This kicks rear end axe.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't like the lighter part of this game but the rest looks drat fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played too many shotguns though? I love me some shotguns but that mod is bonkers! (in the best way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSlxtgNaSk

which is your favorite? :allears:

The reload animation on the tower is just so good.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

cruelty squad is extremely fun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljjJhScJ4DI

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

This software kills fascists.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wolf 3D is good still. I’m surprised how much I enjoyed it when I went through it last year. I only played the first 3 episodes and not on the hardest difficulty though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I'm happy to see Civvie feels exactly how I do about Wolf3D. Its offspring are obviously objectively better and more evolved, but Wolfenstein still got a lot of the fundamentals right and is fun in a very distilled down arcadey way. Points, lives, and even a Pac-man secret level. Hell if I'm ever going to beat all 200 some-odd official (and/or "official") levels, but I've also never reached the kill screen in Pac-man either.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
It has its own style of gameplay that's kind of distinct from other retro FPS games, and the main problem really is that it just gets too samey over time to stay engaging for the whole 123 levels of Wolf3D + Nocturnal Missions + Spear of Destiny + Mission Packs. In fact, it might be kind of interesting to attempt a mod that collects the best 30 or so levels out of those 123 and strings them together into a three-episode format. Though I've honestly always found it kind of difficult to pin down the characteristics of a good Wolf3D level.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 5, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It should be mazey but not too mazey.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've only really played the first three episodes, through the mod that allowed you to play them in zDoom. I guess I also played the shareware version ages ago, on the lowest difficulty setting (which allows you to defeat Hans Grosse by standing in front of him and holding down the fire button).

There's a surprising amount of atmosphere they get out of simply by changing the wall textures - episode 2 feels like a significantly different place than episode 1, despite the main difference being that the grey stone walls have mold now. Also I like the small environmental storytelling they managed to create in one of the ep2 levels, where you have several doors side-by-side, all leading to short passages with a single mutant at the end (or sometimes just a corpse), except one, which instead has fresh red brick right behind the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked Wolfenstein 3D. It's aged, for sure, it's been exceeded in just about every way by the games that have come after, but there's something there, a simple quality that keeps me well engaged. Enough to play the six episodes and Spear of Destiny with its mission packs. It wasn't always great, I remember a couple levels with required secrets (including one where you can block your exit with pushwalls and have to restart the level), but there was enough solid gameplay that I don't regret doing it.