Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ponzicar posted:

The worst thing about Farycrys 3 and above is the utterly dogshit writing, so Blood Dragon being funny and dumb on purpose was really a breath of fresh air. Plus it was bite sized, so the open world gimmicks didn't wear out their welcome.

Hopw the gently caress did FC3 win a loving bafta. What a joke. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bad rear end Fuckin Terrible Art

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
that just reminds me of

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

Boltgun down. Pretty good! Still needs navigation assistance all the way through the end, although the map design advances a lot very fast and they seem to do a little signposting with fresh enemy spawns

I wish they hadn't given every enemy perfect aim leading, especially the ones armed with the plasma gun who can seemingly nail you coming out of a door before you're even aware that they shot at you. Communicating when you're being shot at and from where in general is weak, the melee enemies are way too hard to evade, and it's too easy to lose track of the boss in the massive endgame arenas, but these are all things that could be ironed out in the next one

I found Boltgun to be in dire need of navigation assistance as well. There were definitely a few areas where, after 5 or 10 minutes or running around in circles, I figured "welp this is my life now" because I wasn't even sure I'd successfully reorient myself off of a Let's Play video without restarting the map.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Almost done with Slayers X and despite a few issues it's been a blast. I also trapped myself in a Porta-John within ten minutes of starting the game. I can only assume this is intentional and is the game trying to tell me I'm a terd.

That said, it's a 0/10 game because while it's the first piece of media I've ever encountered with my name in it, this level of Mevin slander is just too much to bear. Not All Mevins are managers banging your mom! Some of us are just trying to get to supervisor and bang your sister!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Mevin's an actual name? I thought it was made up as part of the goof.

:smug:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fuckin mevin lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Woolie Wool posted:

Finished Hrot today. Vladimir Putin was a surprisingly easy final boss fight. You'd think with several phases he'd take forever to kill but each phase has only a fairly small amount of health and it seemed to take no longer than fighting Gusta in episode 2. The toilet humor finale would have been funnier if you dropped out of his rear end into a giant toilet like the end of Mock 2 instead of flushing down a normal sized toilet that is somehow located in his colon.

I really liked the level design of this game, much better than Boltgun. "Luna", "Vyseharad Castle", "Velhartice", and "Hospital" were my favorite maps from the game. I hope the dev releases an editor or SDK because these mechanics are robust enough for more levels with tougher gameplay. I also would like if the game were patched to increase the maximum scale of the HUD and the pixelation effect as I had to drop my display mode from 4K to 1080p to get the right chunky pixel look.

I thought factory farm was a particularly cleverly designed map. Several maps in hrot have done a really good job of having you backtrack in ways that don't feel like just repeating the same map chunks again and again, and using framing, context, and enemy spawns in ways that make it pretty obvious where you're supposed to go next.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

that just reminds me of

Borderlands also sucks rear end :smug:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In the category of poo poo you can't believe you just figured out...I always thought that Epic came up with some really cool alien-sounding language for Unreal. Then I just saw this calender at a friend's place:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRdZEY6EL5I

Free demo June 19th, full thing July 31st.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Keep in mind that the last time that a Copyright extension was passed in the US (1998), politicians did so under the misguided belief that protection was necessary for continued publication and availability of works, and that the public domain was a black hole from which works could not escape. They simply could not anticipate (even though it was actively happening at the time) that the Internet would provide the means to make public domain works available on a volunteer/donation basis alone, nor could they anticipate (even though it was also actively happening at the time) that publishers would arbitrarily withhold their IP from the marketplace even when contributed distribution would cost them nothing.

Yeah, I believe in the idea of abandonware because, if they're not going to make it possible to give them money, who is it actually hurting? In my mind, it's really no different from buying a used copy, it's not like they're getting any of that money anyways.

Anyways, :lol: gently caress Epic. I've got the Unreal Anthology and have Unreal Gold and UT'99 sitting on my hard drive already.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ykugiRKyM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

Yes!!!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA0pPKzSeBQ

I hope the music sounds at least as good as this

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In the category of poo poo you can't believe you just figured out...I always thought that Epic came up with some really cool alien-sounding language for Unreal. Then I just saw this calender at a friend's place:

This is cool as hell

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Convex posted:

Most likely it will be SC-55 recordings, since the soundtrack was written for the 55. The SC-88 Pro was not even released until 1996, after ROTT was already finished.

standard 88 is better than either the 55 or the 88 Pro, fight me :colbert:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 5, 2023

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think I found a progression bug in HROT. I'm on E3M1 and I didn't pick up a common key anywhere but I don't seem to have any way to get out of the final area to the previous parts of the level, unless I'm missing something extremely obvious. It's only the first level so I can just restart the episode, but still kind of weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If I remember correctly that key is supposed to pop out of one of the newt spawning vats when you destroy it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boltgun's final boss is just... fight all the bosses you've fought, but again in a row.

It does highlight that the absolute most dangerous enemies in this game are not the bosses or large imposing things but nurglings, guys with plasma guns, and plague toads; two of whom die in one shot. Its a weird wild wacky balance where bosses are a breather but a single hallway can be a death gauntlet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Woolie Wool posted:

Most likely it will be SC-55 recordings, since the soundtrack was written for the 55. The SC-88 Pro was not even released until 1996, after ROTT was already finished.

standard 88 is better than either the 55 or the 88 Pro, fight me :colbert:
The reveal trailer from last year has a brief glimpse of the soundtrack selector (for there are multiple options), showing OPL, SC-55 and 2013 Reboot options. Not sure what version of OPL/FM Synth they'd use, though (one of the post-release updates replaced the original set of FM instrument patches with the set later used for Duke 3D)...

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 6, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wonder if by “shareware demo” for RoTT they’re going to release the entire shareware episode for free? Thats the only part of the game I have any nostalgia for since I never had the registered version back in the day. Also if you don’t know, the shareware levels are unique to it and aren’t part of the main game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

I wonder if by “shareware demo” for RoTT they’re going to release the entire shareware episode for free? Thats the only part of the game I have any nostalgia for since I never had the registered version back in the day. Also if you don’t know, the shareware levels are unique to it and aren’t part of the main game.
I think they said that the demo for the new version will be one level from each of the included campaigns, including the new one. So that'd be like four levels - one each from The Hunt Begins (shareware), Dark War (retail), Extreme ROTT (expansion/sadomasochism) and The Hunt Returns (the new stuff)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's amusing to me that the moral implication of abandonware is anything other than "you have a moral obligation to pirate this poo poo as much as possible."

Keep in mind that the last time that a Copyright extension was passed in the US (1998), politicians did so under the misguided belief that protection was necessary for continued publication and availability of works, and that the public domain was a black hole from which works could not escape. They simply could not anticipate (even though it was actively happening at the time) that the Internet would provide the means to make public domain works available on a volunteer/donation basis alone, nor could they anticipate (even though it was also actively happening at the time) that publishers would arbitrarily withhold their IP from the marketplace even when contributed distribution would cost them nothing.

Ill have you know those politicians were paid very handsomely to have those misguided beliefs

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AnEdgelord posted:

Ill have you know those politicians were paid very handsomely to have those misguided beliefs
Sure, politicians are generally both stupid and crooked.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

drat, that slaps. Is the rest of the ROTT soundtrack this good?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yes

The ROTT soundtrack is a masterpiece

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

drat, that slaps. Is the rest of the ROTT soundtrack this good?
Pretty much. Some absolute bangers in there. Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince pretty much at the top of their respective game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsr3wF1SvSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1VDsqNGTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoZnHZeZ90

And of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAuE9XYHng

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Pretty much. Some absolute bangers in there. Lee Jackson and Bobby Prince pretty much at the top of their respective game.

And of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAuE9XYHng

Based on the title and duration I'm assuming that's the track that players over the end-of-level score screen, and if so it goes incredibly hard for something that most players will only ever hear the first five seconds of.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if for some reason you don't have it already Fear platinum pack is on sale on gog for $1.20

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

if for some reason you don't have it already Fear platinum pack is on sale on gog for $1.20
Excellent deal. For some reason WB insists on selling the entire FEAR series in one big $55 bundle on Steam that you can't get any parts of seperately, so this is way cheaper even BEFORE the massive discount on account of not including the Questionable Sequels.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ToxicFrog posted:

Based on the title and duration I'm assuming that's the track that players over the end-of-level score screen, and if so it goes incredibly hard for something that most players will only ever hear the first five seconds of.

It's the end of level music/ the end of civvies videos music

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is my favorite ROTT song

https://youtu.be/xX_Kb0cDN98

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

site posted:

FEAR is 35 gigs?!?!

(play FEAR and FEAR 2, play FEAR 3 if you have a co-op buddy and just want to shoot stuff. They're all good.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

(play FEAR and FEAR 2, play FEAR 3 if you have a co-op buddy and just want to shoot stuff. They're all good.)
I cannot in good conscience endorse the FEAR 2 shotgun in the wake of its precursor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsr3wF1SvSQ

Oh I've heard this in multiple WADs...it's sick. Thought it was some doom gamer composition.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Lee Jackson also is also active posting extremely wholesome threads on the Doomworld forums if you want to personally tell him his music is cool

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The ROTT soundtrack slaps more than the Seinfeld theme tune

edit: WHAT YEAR IS IT

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 6, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bbcisdabomb posted:

FEAR is 35 gigs?!?!

That doesn't sound right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe with all the expansions and multiplayer???