Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Kins posted:

I cannot in good conscience endorse the FEAR 2 shotgun in the wake of its precursor.

Probably one of the worst FPS shotguns in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Isn't the original supposed to be great? God it'd be like watching the progression of the simpsons

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't the original supposed to be great? God it'd be like watching the progression of the simpsons

I mean Doom->Doom 3

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

That tittle goes for most Call of Duty shotguns. FEAR 2 is still usable and there was a better one.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, what's the worst shotgun in video games?

They're pretty lackluster in STALKER.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Duke's isn't bad so much as generally unsatisfying. The much harder debate is who's got the best one

BattleMaster posted:

I mean Doom->Doom 3

Not sure if talking shotguns or the series in general :xd:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmn, what's the worst shotgun in video games?

They're pretty lackluster in STALKER.

Doom 3

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

might as well have just put a bayonet on the SMG

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

might as well have just put a bayonet on the SMG

a flashlight please

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Guillermus posted:

That tittle goes for most Call of Duty shotguns. FEAR 2 is still usable and there was a better one.

Whatever shotguns the new Marathon will have are going to be contenders as well, on a relative scale.

e: vvvv Can't live up to that vvvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milo and POTUS posted:

Duke's isn't bad so much as generally unsatisfying. The much harder debate is who's got the best one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Was CoD2 shotgun that bad? It kept the crosshair up while running. I'd use it on rare occasion as a secondary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Doom 3 shotgun isn't terrible. It just isn't the SSG

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Doom1's shotgun is better than the SSG. The SSG is unnecessary and DOOM2 is worse for having it. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

UnknownMercenary posted:

FEAR 2's? It's fine, it turns people into strawberry jam even if it's not quite as good as 1's "just completely vaporise a human being" shotgun. FEAR 3's shotgun looks nice, and has some cool effects (it can blow off peoples' faces!), but it's so weak that it takes multiple shots in the face to kill, definitely the weakest in the franchise.

site posted:

That doesn't sound right

Quantum of Phallus posted:

maybe with all the expansions and multiplayer???

Yeah, I think that includes Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. Not sure if multiplayer is still included, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

FEAR 3 is shockingly small though, only like, 4GBs. 2 is around 14 I believe.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Halo: Reach's shotgun is woefully inferior to the other games in the series, especially Combat Evolved. I never bother with it unless I absolutely have to.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Doom1's shotgun is better than the SSG. The SSG is unnecessary and DOOM2 is worse for having it. :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It does sound like some sort of bait for arguments, sorry, but I know everyone else loves it and considers it The Best Shotgun in all video games and I'm not trying to die on a hill or even convince anyone. I just never really felt that way, and always kind or resented how much it overshadows the original.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jack B Nimble posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It does feel like it makes the regular redundant I do agree but im not a pro doom player

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never thought the original Doom shotgun was particularly great, more than it's just iconic. It feels just underpowered enough to take just too long to kill almost everything and honestly other than the dogshit sound effect, I like the feel of the chaingun more in general. If they made everything die in like one fewer shotgun blast (maybe two for Cacodemons), but increased monster density accordingly, then I think I would feel differently. I think the SSG is so satisfying specifically because it's so powerful, and also is essentially a cleaving melee weapon which is very satisfying to use.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The pump action has plenty of one hit killing power in Doom1. Not against the beefier enemies introduced in 2, I'll grant you that.

I really like the rhythm (and sound) of the pump action, especially how it plays into the peekabo style of corner fighting you can get into.

The SSG being basically a kind of melee weapon isn't an angle I'd considered, though, hmm..

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

It does feel like it makes the regular redundant I do agree but im not a pro doom player

I have to disagree, standard shotty has a longer effective range and can be used for medium-long sniping (tap chaingun for long distance, of course). SSG takes over in immediate close combat for sure though.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Turin Turambar posted:

I checked briefly the Supplice new secret map. It's... a remake of e1m1 lol

finally found my way here via the secret exit, after a bunch of running around

the Slugger is a mother of a fucker. alt fire pretty drat satisfying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grimthwacker posted:

Halo: Reach's shotgun is woefully inferior to the other games in the series, especially Combat Evolved. I never bother with it unless I absolutely have to.

Halo shotgun basically got worse with every game. In 2 they made it useless outside melee range, in 3 they halved the ammo…

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Havana smooth not being on repeat under this thread is a crime

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tim Thomas posted:

Havana smooth not being on repeat under this thread is a crime

I have no idea what that is so

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

catlord posted:

I have to disagree, standard shotty has a longer effective range and can be used for medium-long sniping (tap chaingun for long distance, of course). SSG takes over in immediate close combat for sure though.

Standard shotty is also great for saving shells, they'll one-shot hitscanners (and imps with a good damage roll).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

Standard shotty is also great for saving shells, they'll one-shot hitscanners (and imps with a good damage roll).

I know this is true, but I personally cannot stop myself from blasting single troopers point-blank with the SSG. It's so wasteful but so good.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dieting Hippo posted:

Also faster rate of fire for when you need to take down multiple in a row.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BattleMaster posted:

I have no idea what that is so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jDm_UqAnk

RE: Shotgunchat:
HROT's Soviet Shotgun isn't bad I guess, it just feels like it takes one more shot to kill anything than feels good. I also felt like I got an order of magnitude more ammo for it than anything else so I used it way too much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks, when I googled it I found not that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The progression of the Doom 1, 2, and 3 shotgun(s) follows an uncanny trajectory with the quality of the Fifty Shades film trilogy:

Doom 1 AKA Fifty Shades of Grey: An instant classic; yet an astute observer will remark that it feels like it's missing something...

Doom II AKA Fifty Shades Darker: Packing everything from the original and "then some". Look no further than the double-barreled action of Christian Grey and Jack Hyde unloading their shots on the world.

Doom 3 AKA Fifty Shades Freed: Limp, flacid, frankly impotent. Jamie Dornan's accent keeps slipping--are you Welsh or American?? Can't hit a goddamned thing with this thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bbcisdabomb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jDm_UqAnk

RE: Shotgunchat:
HROT's Soviet Shotgun isn't bad I guess, it just feels like it takes one more shot to kill anything than feels good. I also felt like I got an order of magnitude more ammo for it than anything else so I used it way too much.

I loved the Soviet shotgun, getting in maskies' faces or konfidents'... uh... faces? and just obliterating them in one is extremely satisfying, it's got a nice rhythm too. My only issue is that it doesn't guarantee one pellet straight down the crosshair so sometimes you'll aim at an electrical panel dead on and still somehow miss. TF2 figured that out like a decade ago.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8T3Fgj4aNU&t=458s

a ROTT christmas miracle

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jack B Nimble posted:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Effectiveness aside the Duke 3D shotgun looked cool and sounded cool and is therefore cool.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A better question: does the Super Shotgun make the regular Shotgun redundant?

I would say no, because while the Super Shotgun is stronger, the regular shotgun seems to work better at longer ranges.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

A better question: does the Super Shotgun make the regular Shotgun redundant?

I would say no, because while the Super Shotgun is stronger, the regular shotgun seems to work better at longer ranges.

Maybe in a vacuum where you only have shells. But bullets, cells, and rockets would all be a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Maybe in a vacuum where you only have shells. But bullets, cells, and rockets would all be a better choice.

I suppose, though with cell and rockets, you're working with projectiles, so depending on how long the distance is, you have to lead your shots to hit a target (unless the enemy is in a small alcove or something, in which case the splash damage from a rocket will do the job).