Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

an_mutt posted:

E1M5? :)

It took me a little longer to guess, until I realised the structures on the right were the mazes you had to traverse to get to the yellow key [while also giving you a chance to skip it and go straight through a secret door earlier on!]

it's actually e1m6 :goonsay:

though you're right about the maze part in E1M5 being skippable if you backtrack to one of the secret areas in that tall circular room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Ultima Underworld is pretty neat. Not sure if it's really a FPS though.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

Yes, it should only take 3.

Also Brutal Doom a great addon to doom/doom2 that just makes everything more brutal (better if you discover everything for yourself).
Latest beta:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalGZDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

Works best with GZDoom (file above) and skulltag:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

Also makes the enemies a bit more deadly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jenova Project posted:

Ultima Underworld is pretty neat. Not sure if it's really a FPS though.

I wouldn't really call it one either, but I figure it deserves inclusion for three reasons:
- It's of great historical interest, both at the technical level, and since the first "classic" FPSes that aren't Pathways into Darkness, Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, owe their existence to it
- It's arguably more of an FPS than Thief is, and that gets a spot in the OP and a banner
- It's a kickass game

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Going to put this here because some people found it entertaining in the last thread.

Wamdoodle posted:

If you guys are looking for a more visceral Doom experience you could try this mod:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920

It's called Brutal Doom and it increases alot of the blood effects and gives monsters multiple death animations depending on what weapon you use against it. The funniest thing is that it actually gives fatalities for whenever you pick up a berserk pack and melee a monster to death.

Here's a vid of it in action, complete with Happy Days theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKZ..._embedded#at=22

One caveat though: It also increases the damage that monsters do to you as well so it will make the game a little harder. I don't mind though. Got to earn those gibs!

Edit: Beaten by Flannelette! drat, that's what I get for leaving the reply screen on to long while talking to a friend!

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Another RGH vid, this time of the first TNT Evilution map. A little more challenging than E1M1, simply because RGH automatically sets the difficulty to Ultra-Violence and then adjusts damage according to what difficulty you set. In some capacities, RGH is a little overpowered in the weapon department, but once you get over the first levels and into maps with some heavier duty monsters, the challenge goes up as there are beasties that can one-shot you.

Just like MW2, the Glock and the SPAS are overpowered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QnXzaLiF0

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone want to try some RGH coop with me? Supposedly it isn't balanced right for coop but apparently all my friends have outgrown Doom. I'm running Skulltag and am west coast if that matters. MSN is sockbot@sockbot.com.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

co199 posted:

Another RGH vid, this time of the first TNT Evilution map.

Does RGH encourage it, or are you just playing Doom wrong? Dude. Autorun on, no Y-axis, never stop moving for anything. Anything :colbert:

RGH is a pretty neat mod all around though. It's amazing what people can do with this old engine sometimes.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Mak0rz posted:

Does RGH encourage it, or are you just playing Doom wrong? Dude. Autorun on, no Y-axis, never stop moving for anything. Anything :colbert:

RGH is a pretty neat mod all around though. It's amazing what people can do with this old engine sometimes.

I'm playing Doom wrong, I know. This is what came up in the old thread: some people hate RGH because it makes Doom less Doom and more tactical. I'm a stupid dork that loves COD, so this is right up my ally. I get endlessly entertained by making random maps in Oblige and then playing them in RGH. I should turn in my Doom card.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

co199 posted:

I'm playing Doom wrong, I know. This is what came up in the old thread: some people hate RGH because it makes Doom less Doom and more tactical. I'm a stupid dork that loves COD, so this is right up my ally. I get endlessly entertained by making random maps in Oblige and then playing them in RGH. I should turn in my Doom card.

Man, gently caress it. Doom has been modded so much that you can play however you want to. I loving love this game!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Here's Red. Here's the player-edited Red 1.1, optionally. Here are delicious icon sets for Evil, Red and Rubicon.

What's the dif between the original and the fan edit? Is that for Inf or the Aleph One conversion?

Edit: I played death match marathon 1 with my brother for the first time in years a few weeks ago. It was amazing, only shame is I need more friends so we can get up to 8 players.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 24, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never had any luck getting AEons of Death working before, but now I really want to check it out. Here are the problems I'm running into:

Ultimate Doom: doesn't work with it. I get the following error:
code:
Script error, "AEoDdat.pk3:animdefs.aed" line 63:
Unknown texture SLIME01
Forcing it to run by not including AEoDdat.pk3 pretty much loads up regular old Doom with the fancy AEoD items and enemies replaced by generic placeholders (a red diamond with an exclamation mark).

Doom II: It works... but it's not exactly playable. Weird poo poo happens, here's all of the issues I ran into so far:
- Sometimes enemies don't spawn. At all.
- Same with weapons.
- Enemy and pickup sounds only play some of the time.
- My HUD isn't all there sometimes (or maybe this is a class thing?)
- My current weapon being actually displayed on screen is a rare sight, but when it does it misses animations and sounds when firing

These are things I ran into only on Map01 so far :psyduck:

GZdoom version: 1.5.6 (r1104). OGL enhancements disabled because my laptop is a dick.
AEoD version: 5.29.1

I've had this problem with AEoD and GZdoom versions both new and old. What's happening?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
All the changes between the original and the edit are here.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So, what are the best mods and games for co-op for 2-4 players? There aren't that many good co-op FPS's anymore :sigh:

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
Marathon is great for co-op.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Really? I assumed with it being such a story-heavy (and text-heavy) game that it wouldn't work to well co-op. Hm.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

co199 posted:

How exactly do you do this? I'd love to play RGH with Oblige stuff, but I'm kind of a dummy and don't know how that works.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

So, um, I tried Marathon.

a) This poo poo is terrifying. Super loving claustrophobic, weird-rear end-lookin' enemies. Not a good mix for me.
b) The addition of the Pathways Into Darkness bit into the first level of the Marathon conversion for Aleph One was pretty silly. I hope there's nothin' else added like that in the game.
c) Mouse control feels horrible, like there's some crazy acceleration going on.
d) poo poo is really glitchy. I used the teleporter in the first level (which took me by surprise and gave me another near-heart attack), but it hosed up while going to level 2, and ended up in a tiny little window on my desktop that I couldn't do any input into. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

Definitely interesting, but gah. Any fixes for the mouse control or glitches?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006

Anal Volcano posted:

a) This poo poo is terrifying. Super loving claustrophobic, weird-rear end-lookin' enemies. Not a good mix for me.
b) The addition of the Pathways Into Darkness bit into the first level of the Marathon conversion for Aleph One was pretty silly. I hope there's nothin' else added like that in the game.
d) poo poo is really glitchy. I used the teleporter in the first level (which took me by surprise and gave me another near-heart attack), but it hosed up while going to level 2, and ended up in a tiny little window on my desktop that I couldn't do any input into. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

b) Long story short, it's a load of retarded nonsense that doesn't belong there. Plug this in immediately so you never have to put up with it again.

c) There may well be acceleration going on. Go into your settings and adjust your mouse sensitivity until it feels right.

d) I've never heard of this issue before. My first recommendation would be to update to 1.0b2, if you haven't already. If that doesn't fix it, ask here. Be as descriptive as possible and upload the contents of your prefs file.

Moof Strydar
Jul 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

- It's of great historical interest, both at the technical level, and since the first "classic" FPSes that aren't Pathways into Darkness, Catacombs 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, owe their existence to it

Huh, whadda ya know. I was going to pull you up on this one since Ultima Underworld came out after those games, but then I read on Wikipedia that Catacomb 3-D was developed after id saw a tech demo of Ultima Underworld (or had a phone conversation with the developer).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I never had any luck getting AEons of Death working before, but now I really want to check it out. Here are the problems I'm running into:

Ultimate Doom: doesn't work with it. I get the following error:
code:
Script error, "AEoDdat.pk3:animdefs.aed" line 63:
Unknown texture SLIME01
Forcing it to run by not including AEoDdat.pk3 pretty much loads up regular old Doom with the fancy AEoD items and enemies replaced by generic placeholders (a red diamond with an exclamation mark).

Doom II: It works... but it's not exactly playable. Weird poo poo happens, here's all of the issues I ran into so far:
- Sometimes enemies don't spawn. At all.
- Same with weapons.
- Enemy and pickup sounds only play some of the time.
- My HUD isn't all there sometimes (or maybe this is a class thing?)
- My current weapon being actually displayed on screen is a rare sight, but when it does it misses animations and sounds when firing

These are things I ran into only on Map01 so far :psyduck:

GZdoom version: 1.5.6 (r1104). OGL enhancements disabled because my laptop is a dick.
AEoD version: 5.29.1

I've had this problem with AEoD and GZdoom versions both new and old. What's happening?

Use the latest SVN build of zDoom here: http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Also, make sure you're running both AEOD.pk3 *and* AEODdat.pk3. You can just drag both of them onto the zDoom exe or make a shortcut with "file AEOD.pk3 AEODdat.pk3" after zDoom.exe in the target section.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Moof Strydar posted:

Huh, whadda ya know. I was going to pull you up on this one since Ultima Underworld came out after those games, but then I read on Wikipedia that Catacomb 3-D was developed after id saw a tech demo of Ultima Underworld (or had a phone conversation with the developer).

Everything LGS did was ridiculously ahead of its time. It's still blowing my mind that System Shock came out in 1994.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
A game I used to play the poo poo out of was Chasm: The Rift. It was a late 90s 2.5/3D game set in some weird Egyptian altiverse thing. I don't remember much of the plot but it had a precursor to Dead Space's Ripper gun so I didn't ask too many questions. What was notable was the fact it had a fully featured level-editor on the CD-ROM. This excited my young mind wonderfully and I spent far more time working on custom maps than I did actually playing the drat game which, after all, was a pretty bog standard Quake clone. Also cool to note is how the developers of this game later went on to do Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason.

It's downloadable from here.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 24, 2011

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Can someone help me nerd out for a sec.

I'm trying to remember the name of a FPS that came out a little before Marathon on Mac System 7

I was a real world setting, I remember the protagonist being a guy in a white business shirt with a tie.

It was shareware, and so far I've only been able to nail down that it wasn't brought out by Ambrosia

Loving this thread btw

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

maxe posted:

Can someone help me nerd out for a sec.

I'm trying to remember the name of a FPS that came out a little before Marathon on Mac System 7

I was a real world setting, I remember the protagonist being a guy in a white business shirt with a tie.

Sounds like Prime Target? I remember playing it as a kid, finding it again recently, and being disappointed I couldn't play it on Windows. At least I don't think you can?

It's got a pretty rad cover too:

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Thompsons posted:

How exactly do you do this? I'd love to play RGH with Oblige stuff, but I'm kind of a dummy and don't know how that works.

Generate a map with Oblige, then grab the WAD that it generates, ctrl-click on the RGH pk3, then drag both of them to the Skulltag / gzDoom icon. Should start up the Oblige level with RGH.

Alternatively, since I haven't been playing without RGH, append -file RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3 to the gzDoom shortcut, then just drag the Oblige map to your shortcut. It'll prompt which IWAD you want to use (Ultimate Doom or Doom II) and there you go.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anal Volcano posted:

A) The first level is intentionally claustraphobic. It is vastly less so in the rest of the game. The first level of Inf is similar because it is a call back to 'Arrival'.

B) That is pretty dorky yeah, but it's a fan conversion of a game windows people, or mac people, wouldn't be able to play today without emulation, and it takes literally 20 seconds to get out of.

C) Mouse control is horrible and should not be used. You will be vastly more successful if you use a combo of WASD for movement and arrows / keypad for looking. The game's return to center destroys mouse look, and it's too jerky to be accurate. Thems just the breaks. You can turn off return to center for single player but I think it's locked in for multi.

D) I have not had any problems with marathon in the main game unless it was a low memory issue, and that was when I was playing the originals on a Performa in 95. It's a remarkably stable engine, so maybe it was a fluke (admittably I have not played nearly as much on the PC as I have on the Mac, so YMMV)

Anal Volcano posted:

Really? I assumed with it being such a story-heavy (and text-heavy) game that it wouldn't work to well co-op. Hm.

The story is the text, but most people who end up playing co-op aren't playing for the first time. If you are turbo nerds like my friends and I are, you can read at the same time too.

There are some co-op only levels and a few carnage break levels in some of them (inf I think) which are basically "yeah we bet you're pissed off at each other why not blow up your buddy before moving on"

As amazing as the story is if you ignore it, it becomes another fast run and gun shooter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

Use the latest SVN build of zDoom here: http://svn.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Did that, still running into the same problems.

Vertigus posted:

Also, make sure you're running both AEOD.pk3 *and* AEODdat.pk3.

I've been doing that the whole time.

co199 posted:

Generate a map with Oblige, then grab the WAD that it generates, ctrl-click on the RGH pk3, then drag both of them to the Skulltag / gzDoom icon. Should start up the Oblige level with RGH.

Alternatively, since I haven't been playing without RGH, append -file RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3 to the gzDoom shortcut, then just drag the Oblige map to your shortcut. It'll prompt which IWAD you want to use (Ultimate Doom or Doom II) and there you go.

Okay, seriously everyone needs to use SavageMessiah's launcher that's posted in the OP. You never have to deal with drag-n-drop or changing shortcut parameters nonsense.

Plavski posted:

A game I used to play the poo poo out of was Chasm: The Rift. It was a late 90s 2.5/3D game set in some weird Egyptian altiverse thing. I don't remember much of the plot but it had a precursor to Dead Space's Ripper gun so I didn't ask too many questions. What was notable was the fact it had a fully featured level-editor on the CD-ROM. This excited my young mind wonderfully and I spent far more time working on custom maps than I did actually playing the drat game which, after all, was a pretty bog standard Quake clone. Also cool to note is how the developers of this game later went on to do Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason.

It's downloadable from here.

Played the poo poo out of this as a lad. It's a really underrated game I think and, despite the map design and gameplay not being as good, it is superior to Quake on a technical level (well, apart from the fact that it's still technically a 2.5D engine). The polys, animations, and textures were really crisp and there were a slew of environmental effects and outdoor environments not seen in the original Quake.

One thing Chasm broke the mold with was the bosses: You can't gun them to death. Instead you have to solve a puzzle to kill them. It's pretty neat. Everyone play Chasm right now.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 24, 2011

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Back in my day, kids, there used to be Earthsiege before Starsiege, and Starsiege before Starsiege: Tribes. Where men were men, and cybrids were cybrids fighting one another in a herculean conflict of survival. drat whippersnappers flying all over the god drat place with their fancy jetpacks and discflinging. You little dusty punks would never understand what it felt like to take back Mars, only to watch it fall out of your hands like so much dust.
\
:corsair:

Jenzar El
Aug 16, 2010

by angerbeet
Two words:

REDNECK RAMPAGE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, the thread title just clicked with me. Oh Build engine :allears:, I printed out your manual. Twice.

I had highlighters going, pens circling... even an excel spreadsheet for quick access to what SE's affected what sectors (or how they did it). I built so many random, horrible Duke3D maps, that part of my disappointment with the DNF is that I can't fire up Build and make my own.

Long live Ken Silverman!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

B) That is pretty dorky yeah, but it's a fan conversion of a game windows people, or mac people, wouldn't be able to play today without emulation, and it takes literally 20 seconds to get out of.

And to address the rest of the question: there's nothing else like that, the rest of M1A1 is an unaltered conversion of M1.

quote:

C) Mouse control is horrible and should not be used. You will be vastly more successful if you use a combo of WASD for movement and arrows / keypad for looking. The game's return to center destroys mouse look, and it's too jerky to be accurate. Thems just the breaks. You can turn off return to center for single player but I think it's locked in for multi.

I find that if I turn turn down the sensitivity (which is stupidly high by default) it's fine. The mouse stops being jerky and becomes nice and smooth. The recentering in multiplayer is annoying but I still prefer it to aiming with the keyboard.

And yes, Marathon is a fantastic co-op FPS. If someone hasn't played it before, it becomes a slow, chill run through the storyline, and everyone has, you can play it as a balls-out high-speed shooter.

Descent also has co-op, and unlike Marathon it's much less story-focused (and all of the story happens in inter-level cutscenes), so in some ways it's even better suited.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

And to address the rest of the question: there's nothing else like that, the rest of M1A1 is an unaltered conversion of M1.

There are various nods to marathon mythology and community as secret levels but I believe they are all only accessed through the command-option start.

(IE, a version of the fake level 'it is a good day to die', a recreated version of the original Marathon beta level (the one built off of the PiD engine) with altered physics and enemies, a level containing a terminal that is just the marathon comic.)

Within the scope of the scenario though yes, there are no other changes that I can recall.

ToxicFrog posted:

I find that if I turn turn down the sensitivity (which is stupidly high by default) it's fine. The mouse stops being jerky and becomes nice and smooth. The recentering in multiplayer is annoying but I still prefer it to aiming with the keyboard.

I've personally never gotten it to the point with the mouse where I'm comfortable with it. The AI is pretty dumb so I never felt I need the mouse. But then again I grew up on this control scheme so it's pretty hard coded in at this point.

ToxicFrog posted:

And yes, Marathon is a fantastic co-op FPS. If someone hasn't played it before, it becomes a slow, chill run through the storyline, and everyone has, you can play it as a balls-out high-speed shooter.

Aside form a select few levels, you can really barge all the Marathon games like twin marauders of death. It's very fun. The only real hang ups are some of the puzzles (which in general M2 and Inf are better at, but M1 has 'colony ship for sale cheap,' though ironically that piee of poo poo might be tolerable with co-op, one working the switches the other checking to see if they can make it..) M1 might be a little cramped for some co-op, it wasn't designed with it in mind, but the other two were.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Fun fact: Jason Jones, the developer of Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap, also made All Roads Lead to Sol (the final level of M2), and considered his work on All Roads to be an atonement for what he'd done in creating Colony Ship.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ Fun fact: Jason Jones, the developer of Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap, also made All Roads Lead to Sol (the final level of M2), and considered his work on All Roads to be an atonement for what he'd done in creating Colony Ship.

"All roads" is a pretty awesome level. Though hard death Juggarnauts are almost as bad as the ticks. Almost.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

No, what's bad is that I know exactly what game the map on the right is from. All of them, every single FPS of the last 10 years. :sigh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brutal Doom sure lives up to its name, gallons of blood and flaming corpses everywhere!

Put it on Ultraviolence, IDDQD, switch on infinite ammo under gameplay options, grab a super shotgun and go to town! If you hold down the fire button, it goes full-auto shotgun :black101:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I decided to try out Duke3d: Attrition, and it's loads of fun. I'm not badass enough to handle the included user maps, so I've just been running through the original 3DR maps using it.

The problem is that upon completing episode 1, it appears to have gone insane. Rather than taking me to E2L01, it's taken me to Tier Drops (an E3 secret level), Freeway (another E3 secret level), and now Derelict (the second last level of E4).

Is it meant to be doing this? How do I get it to play the levels in order? Episode 1 worked fine...

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, seriously everyone needs to use SavageMessiah's launcher that's posted in the OP. You never have to deal with drag-n-drop or changing shortcut parameters nonsense.

I found this launcher in the last thread, noticed it wasn't in the OP.
http://www.akinomori.com/cdl/

Its my personal favorite because of the way you can just check pwad's in a big list and setup a bunch of different source ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Quake FVF is still probably the most fun I had while playing online. It was a tight group of the same players murdering each other on the Purge Servers.

If you were hacked to bits by a Fighter between 1996-1998 chances are it was me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!