Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It doesn't bounce so I don't think the flak cannon counts as a grenade launcher. The eightball is fun when you actually hit one of those slippery bastard Unreal enemies with a full set of grenades, though. I don't think it's the greatest grenade launcher since the reload time is kinda annoying though and most of the Unreal bestiary is too drat good at jumping out of the way for it to be very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

david_a posted:

It doesn't bounce so I don't think it counts. The eightball launcher is fun when you actually hit one of those slippery bastard Unreal enemies with a full set of grenades, though. I don't think it's the greatest grenade launcher since the reload time is kinda annoying though and most of the Unreal bestiary is too drat good at jumping out of the way for it to be very satisfying.

Fun fact: Enemies will never try to dodge Eightball grenades. You only miss because Skaarj tend to strafe a lot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

RyokoTK posted:

Whatever Flying Hog would have chosen to present Hard Reset as wouldn't have helped the fact that the game was overwhelmingly loving terrible.

Oh for sure, that's another reason I was so surprised that Shadow Warrior was like, not awful. But Hard Reset was seriously up it's own rear end about being an ~*old-school fps*~

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

closeted republican posted:

Quake 1 has awesome sounds.

One of the things I've found in the dev archives for Quake 1, and that I wish I could release, is roughly 11 straight minutes of Trent making Quake Guy jumping and pain noises. Every few minutes you'll hear a noise that was actually used and it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's kind of weird.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

spongeh posted:

One of the things I've found in the dev archives for Quake 1, and that I wish I could release, is roughly 11 straight minutes of Trent making Quake Guy jumping and pain noises. Every few minutes you'll hear a noise that was actually used and it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's kind of weird.

Trent is the Quake guy? That's amazing. :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MadSpace is discounted in the Steam sale. Dual-wield your way through alien dimensional fuckery.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I think grenade launcher from original Shadow Warrior was really good. It's the biggest looking weapon in game and ridiculously powerful. Mastering it's use is crucial in later levels, similar to Blood's dynamie, when you can clean whole rooms with 2-3 rounds. You can disintegrate even lizard guardians and shadow ninjas with well-placed grenade.
But certainly, Quake's GL has certain oomph to it. It just works so well against zombies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll always be disappointed that team fortress 2 added the quake rocket launcher and not the quake grenade launcher

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

spongeh posted:

It's sort of like when you hear stock audio of some guy grunting in pain and then all of the sudden hear Doomguy's pain sound clear as a whistle in the middle.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

I think grenade launcher from original Shadow Warrior was really good. It's the biggest looking weapon in game and ridiculously powerful. Mastering it's use is crucial in later levels, similar to Blood's dynamie, when you can clean whole rooms with 2-3 rounds. You can disintegrate even lizard guardians and shadow ninjas with well-placed grenade.
But certainly, Quake's GL has certain oomph to it. It just works so well against zombies.

I was thinking about Shadow Warrior's grenade launcher, but it just seemed to pale in comparison to that ridiculous rocket launcher the game had, complete with nuclear warheads that basically instakilled you if you so much as looked at the explosion. :getin: More FPS games need weapons like that: Something that transcends even conventional superweapons like the BFG9000 and Serious Sam SBC Cannon/Serious Bomb. Something that is so powerful, you have to be extremely careful to not kill yourself in the process of using it. Just like half of the weapons that were included with the famous "Unreal Tournament 4Ever" mod for UT'99.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just like half of the weapons that were included with the famous "Unreal Tournament 4Ever" mod for UT'99.

Everyone with UT99 should play at least one match with every weapon being U4E's nuke doll. It is beautiful.

Setting every weapon to the Nuker is also a good idea.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quake II had excellent-feeling hand grenades. I never realized it at the time, even playing mods like Weapons Factory that had large numbers of throwable grenade types as a game mechanic, but Weapons Factory Arena (for Quake III) which had cheap-feeling hand grenades based on the stock game's grenade launcher code made it obvious.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Everyone with UT99 should play at least one match with every weapon being U4E's nuke doll. It is beautiful.

Setting every weapon to the Nuker is also a good idea.

Could you link that? A quick googling turns up some Spanish clan forum and a bunch of UT4 stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BattleMaster posted:

Quake II had excellent-feeling hand grenades.

They made wee little mushroom clouds :3:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Could you link that? A quick googling turns up some Spanish clan forum and a bunch of UT4 stuff.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal4ever

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dis astranagant posted:

Oh man, you're in for a real treat if you've never played this mod before--and if you have, I'm still going to talk about it because somebody else might be unfamiliar with it and really missing out. Even in its heydey, the mod was pretty ugly, but it's mechanically fantastic. Although it adds a bunch of stuff, it does two main things:

First, it adds a bunch of new character models to the game. Cyclopean three-legged aliens, giant robots, shiny metal golems, dragon men, insectoids, poo poo-talking teddy bears--it's all over the place. Of course, there are a ton of custom skins and models for UT'99, but the thing about UT4E is that it has configurable mutators that grant these models unique stats and powers. So Henry the robot starts off loaded down with health, armor, and dual minigun-rocketlaunchers, but it's slow as poo poo and makes for a very easy target; "Zhal" the roach creature starts with a silenced sniper rifle, can toss poisonous gas grenades, has a considerable jump height, and can turn partially invisible if he stands still long enough; the dragon men can fly and breathe fire; there's even a weird "Pokemon"-like character that can summon pets and level them up. All of these characters handle differently and encourage different playstyles, and a lot of them also have custom melee weapons and special attacks that make them stand out even more. For example, the Devil/Demon character is immune to lava and can perform an explosive butt-slam (it's totally rad), Zhal and a huge bug/mutant named Mr. Big are immune to toxic waste and gas, and the Grim Reaper can spawn a weapon called the "hell worm" when he's killed (I think he can also heal himself by killing/hurting opponents with his scythe).

Then you've got the weapons and, man, there's a bunch of them. The ordinary revolver sucks poo poo--it's like a slower six-shot Enforcer--but pretty much everything else is awesome and really mixes things up. There's a melee weapon that is made to look like the front end of a miniature WW2 fighter plane--you can set the propeller to blow enemies away, or pull them in and chop them up. But that wouldn't be enough for a mod like this, so you can also use it to fly around the map (albeit poorly). There are a few weapons that create blackholes that suck in anything that gets too close to them, a coach gun, an "inflator" gun that acts almost exactly like Duke 3D's shrink ray/microwave combo, a laser gun that gets increasingly powerful and complicated looking as you pick up additional copies of it, a doll that wanders around and is also a thermonuclear bomb, and a sniper rifle that turns targets into miniature bombs. There's a katana that accelerates your movements (and stacks with the aforementioned character stats, which means that some characters get crazy-fast), a SPAS shotgun with a bunch of different ammo types, a drunken missile launcher, a freeze ray, and even a Deus Ex-style "Dragon Tooth" sword.

Basically, the mod is all over the loving place (in a good way) and is pretty much a requirement for any modern UT'99 install.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 12, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Don't forget that you can customize which weapons appear when you're playing. It's great if you're playing a map and you're not feeling the weapon layout; instead of sucking it up, you can change it so that it's more suitable for a map, like some hitscan weapons in a large map.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

They made wee little mushroom clouds :3:

Polygonal explosions are something I miss from late-90s PC FPs games. The ones in Aliens versus Predator that deformed to fit the level were even better, but now games are all about sprite and particle explosions.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Polygonal explosions are something I miss from late-90s PC FPs games. The ones in Aliens versus Predator that deformed to fit the level were even better, but now games are all about sprite and particle explosions.

Going from Quake 1's huge particle explosions to Quake 2's silly polygon ones was a major step backwards in game explosion technology.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Going from Quake 1's huge particle explosions to Quake 2's silly polygon ones was a major step backwards in game explosion technology.

Even at the time, quake 2's 3D explosions seemed really strange looking. But I remember thinking, "I guess this is just the direction things are going. At some point these 3D explosions are going to look amazing."

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Q2 explosions were pretty bad. What I don't understand is why they opted on using this animation on everything destroyable, including crates.
My package with various Q1/2 stuff came, and there are some curiosities inside. I'll scan and post those somewhere in near future, just one thing I noticed is the "world exclusive" review of Q2 was printed as a separate booklet addon for a magazine, and there are a lot of beta screenshots in it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

Q2 explosions were pretty bad. What I don't understand is why they opted on using this animation on everything destroyable, including crates.
My package with various Q1/2 stuff came, and there are some curiosities inside. I'll scan and post those somewhere in near future, just one thing I noticed is the "world exclusive" review of Q2 was printed as a separate booklet addon for a magazine, and there are a lot of beta screenshots in it.

In Q2, the explosion graphic will play if you destroy a glass window. :haw:

Scan the images. Could be something interesting in them.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Trent is the Quake guy? That's amazing. :allears:

Holy poo poo I would kill a man to hear this. :vince:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

If you feel like paying for bad Duke 3D TCs, NAM is in the $1 of the new Humble Weekly Bundle.

I bought that at Wal-Mart in 1997 when I was in the third grade. I played it more than Duke. I'm scared to load it up again and see how dumb I was.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

In Q2, the explosion graphic will play if you destroy a glass window. :haw:

Scan the images. Could be something interesting in them.

I think the old Quake 2 Test also used the 2D explosion graphic (it also had a lot of unused stuff).

Edit: I just dug up the Q2Test for a screenshot. This version even had a working head icon in the statusbar (like in Doom and Q1).

nekoxid fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 12, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

spongeh posted:

I found something similar a while back in the Atari Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D's data files... The Making Of "GUTEN TAG!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Holy poo poo I would kill a man to hear this. :vince:

The ultimate thing would be to take one of the various songs he's uploaded for remixing, and put his Quake guy grunts in there.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know what it was (or is) about Rippers, but they scare the poo poo out of me in a way that Doom's pinkies and Quake's fiends never did.

Them, and the "beast" from the expansion pack for Blood.

Do you mean those weird Frankenstein man-shark things or the chosen?

One thing that used to scare the poo poo out of me so badly wad any underwater monster. Pretty much I stopped playing the original dark forces by the third level because of those loving sewer monster thingies. :staredog:

Hell, I still can't run through that game without shivers going down my spine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'll always be disappointed that team fortress 2 added the quake rocket launcher and not the quake grenade launcher

Back when I played TF2 I modded the sound files so that the Demoman's grenades made that "ping" sound from Quake. It was amazing. :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

I found something similar a while back in the Atari Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D's data files... The Making Of "GUTEN TAG!"

Why is this so cool? :psyduck:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

spongeh posted:

My brother has always said that the Quake guy sounds like a woman and can't understand how I don't think that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My brother has always said that the Quake guy sounds like a woman and can't understand how I don't think that.

:stare: What kind of women does he know?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why is this so cool? :psyduck:

Unlike politics and sausage, it's fun to watch and hear video games being made. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dis astranagant posted:

Does the Flak Cannon count as a grenade launcher? I used to use well timed grenades more than I did the primary fire.

I used the 2nd fire of flak cannon pretty much exclusively. I loved lobbing those land-mines into people's faces.

I absolutely hate most grenade launchers. I loathe Q3's launcher. Q1's is cool because it has style even if its hard for me to use. But the Flak? That thing is a surgical tool. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

Love the flak.

david_a posted:

It doesn't bounce so I don't think the flak cannon counts as a grenade launcher.

:colbert: that's what makes it good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

All this talk of Quake's sound design reminds me of that song made from nothing but Quake sounds that we were searching for many pages back. I don't think we ever did find the specific one the guy was asking for, alas.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I was more annoyed that a crit rocket from the Original didn't play the Quad Damage sound.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I was more annoyed that a crit rocket from the Original didn't play the Quad Damage sound.
I made a mod years ago to fix that (and also to use the higher-bitrate rocket launcher audio from QTEST) but most servers seem to disable custom sounds nowadays...

IIRC there was also some unused unique particle effects for the Original. It was a burst of yellow pixels for the explosion, like to the Quake 1 one but without the sprite at the impact point. I guess they never finished those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

All this talk of Quake's sound design reminds me of that song made from nothing but Quake sounds that we were searching for many pages back. I don't think we ever did find the specific one the guy was asking for, alas.

No I haven't been able to find it yet :smith: It was some .mod file song using the pipebomb sound along with ranger grunts and stuff.

Searching for it though I found this intro video for QuakeTF that I haven't seen in years and years and forgot how well done it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

Anybody have a sample of the old quakeworld startup "Lets get on with the killing!" sound?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 12, 2015

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare: What kind of women does he know?

Hi, brother here.

The jump sound is what i was talking about, nothing else. It is very high pitched and feminine in my opinion.

Also, I was probably in elementary school when this game came out so that thought process at the time has been imprinted in my brain. I still hear it today.

Basically, the jump sound does not match the grunts etc. I asked my girlfriend if she agreed, she did not at first then I think she caved to unintended question leaning.

Maybe my ears are bad.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Maybe my ears are bad.

Too much Dakka must've hurt your auditory senses.

I hope someone makes an FPS starring a regular Warhammer 40K ork going on adventures around the universe shooting humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Do you mean those weird Frankenstein man-shark things or the chosen?

One thing that used to scare the poo poo out of me so badly wad any underwater monster. Pretty much I stopped playing the original dark forces by the third level because of those loving sewer monster thingies. :staredog:

Hell, I still can't run through that game without shivers going down my spine.

I had to look it up but it was the final "priest" boss of the plasma pak, who turned into a werewolf thing. It sort of looked like a dude in a costume, which seemed to freak me out even more.

Water creatures in general are frequently creepy. I guess it just triggers that reptile part of your brain that doesn't like confronting things in water. The ichthyosaur from Half-life is the king of this example, but Blood's fishmen fit into this category too.