Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Hmm. In Skulltag, is the only way to use multiple .wad/.pk3 files offline by using Doomseeker and starting an offline game? I'm going to guess there's a command line that I never found in the .exe cause it seems odd that you can only naturally mount one .wad/.pk3 at a time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

Hmm. In Skulltag, is the only way to use multiple .wad/.pk3 files offline by using Doomseeker and starting an offline game? I'm going to guess there's a command line that I never found in the .exe cause it seems odd that you can only naturally mount one .wad/.pk3 at a time...

Do it the same way you would with GZDoom, either by dragging and dropping them onto the executable or using any one of the launchers in the OP.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Minidust posted:

Oh nice, thanks. I had actually checked my version of GZdoom, and what I thought was the official site said there had been no updates since November 2010 :iiam:

IIRC, the original developer of GZDoom had a hissy fit because people were getting more and more angry with his indifference towards the fact that there were some major bugs with ATI video cards that he wouldn't/couldn't fix and quit. That meant somebody else had to take over for updating the codebase to match ZDoom's features and also get a new website, which might explain why the "official website" would say there have been no updates in two years.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

IIRC, the original developer of GZDoom had a hissy fit because people were getting more and more angry with his indifference towards the fact that there were some major bugs with ATI video cards that he wouldn't/couldn't fix and quit. That meant somebody else had to take over for updating the codebase to match ZDoom's features and also get a new website, which might explain why the "official website" would say there have been no updates in two years.
Ha! I had no idea there had been such drama. I just googled my way into some Doom Wiki page, and followed that to the "official" GZdoom site. Huh, I just played through Doom II and had no idea I had been using an outdated GZDoom the whole time.:shobon:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I think he only quit briefly, but he doesn't touch the OpenGL renderer much nowadays. He's actively developing ZDoom and keeping a close eye on GZDoom. He's a... temperamental fella.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm doing dumb things in TF2 and already have my Kritzkrieg named IDKFA and Medigun named IDDQD, what's the next logical step for the Quick-Fix? I don't think Doom has any 'health to 100%' cheat codes so I'm coming up blank. Any ideas?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Xenaero posted:

I'm doing dumb things in TF2 and already have my Kritzkrieg named IDKFA and Medigun named IDDQD, what's the next logical step for the Quick-Fix? I don't think Doom has any 'health to 100%' cheat codes so I'm coming up blank. Any ideas?

It's Half-Life 2, but try "buddha" as the name. Never lets you drop below 1 health.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Xenaero posted:

How about IDBEHOLDS, the berserk pack cheat?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

DoombatINC posted:

How about IDBEHOLDS, the berserk pack cheat?

:doh: Completely slipped my mind. Thanks a bunch!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Reelism use any of the enhanced GZdoom controls? Mouselook, secondary-fire weapons, jumping, etc.? Just figuring out how I should map the controls best (and make sure I'd be playing the mod as intended). Loving the style of it so far!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It definitely uses secondary fire on the fist and the tank, a few of the weapons need mouselook or are useless, and the Internet level in particular needs jumping.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Also, dogpope is the best boss ever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, it uses all the modern tools of the trade like jumping and alt-fire.

Code Jockey posted:

Also, dogpope is the best boss ever.
I should probably improve his sprites since he's very lazily resized... maybe once I finish the new stuff... I've got two new maps sitting on my lap and a bunch of new rules to make once I have the time.

Anyway! Xaser and his gang of misfits have released a beta of a vanilla Doom map pack called No End In Sight. If you liked Doom The Way Id Did, it's an offshoot from that project.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

The Kins posted:

Yeah, it uses all the modern tools of the trade like jumping and alt-fire.
I should probably improve his sprites since he's very lazily resized... maybe once I finish the new stuff... I've got two new maps sitting on my lap and a bunch of new rules to make once I have the time.

Anyway! Xaser and his gang of misfits have released a beta of a vanilla Doom map pack called No End In Sight. If you liked Doom The Way Id Did, it's an offshoot from that project.

I don't have the sprites on hand to compare, but if I'm thinking right you just resized the original Wolfenstein sprites? If so, you could always start with the Macintosh versions, since they were double resolution. Downside is there's only front facing frames for them, but hey, it's a start!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

I don't have the sprites on hand to compare, but if I'm thinking right you just resized the original Wolfenstein sprites? If so, you could always start with the Macintosh versions, since they were double resolution. Downside is there's only front facing frames for them, but hey, it's a start!

If someone makes the rotation sprites for Mac Wolfenstein, I'll gladly upload my version of stwolf3d with the Mac assets.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Where can I download the 10x wad for Brutal Doom? Kin's old link doesn't work. Sometimes I just need to shoot the poo poo out things in massive numbers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ace Oliveira posted:

Where can I download the 10x wad for Brutal Doom? Kin's old link doesn't work. Sometimes I just need to shoot the poo poo out things in massive numbers.
Here ya go

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So I have a couple questions to ask.

First of all, is there a source port for Doom that's considered the best for recording demos? I'm trying to find out a way to record in Skulltag and having no luck, so I was looking to get a different port specifically for demos.

Secondly, I've decided to start playing through more Doom pwads - more specifically, famous classic megawads. i'm hoping to progress through them chronologically, and Momento Mori seems to be the first really big Doom 2 wad as far as I know. Anybody got any recommendations, or any favourite megawads that seems to have fallen to the wayside for stuff like MM, Hell Revealed or whatever?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

an_mutt posted:

First of all, is there a source port for Doom that's considered the best for recording demos? I'm trying to find out a way to record in Skulltag and having no luck, so I was looking to get a different port specifically for demos.

PRBoom/PRBoom+ are capable of recording and playing demos that will play back on unmodified vanilla doom as well as many other source ports.

Basically if you want to be able to record demos, prboom/prboom+ work best.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

an_mutt posted:

So I have a couple questions to ask.

Secondly, I've decided to start playing through more Doom pwads - more specifically, famous classic megawads. i'm hoping to progress through them chronologically, and Momento Mori seems to be the first really big Doom 2 wad as far as I know. Anybody got any recommendations, or any favourite megawads that seems to have fallen to the wayside for stuff like MM, Hell Revealed or whatever?
Yeah prBoom+ is the only port worth considering.

If you want to ensure that the demos you record will always be compatible with future versions of prBoom+ then I'd advise that you force it to run under a certain "compatibility level". This essentially emulates old versions of Doom and can be done by using the -complevel command line parameter. For example:

-complevel 2 to emulate "vanilla" Doom2.exe
-complevel 3 to emulate "vanilla" Ultimate Doom.exe
-complevel 9 to emulate Boom

If you do this, then any time you go to playback the demo prBoom+ will automatically set it to the correct compatibility level for playback and there shouldn't be any desynch issues.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
For the proposed goon megawad, are we cool to use some custom assets? I'm not looking to use new monsters or weapons or whatever since I'm assuming most people would like to keep this compatible with stuff like Brutal Doom, but I'm interested in maybe using some custom textures, some sprites, and maybe a bit of ACS. I've got my level underway, but I'm having a hard time with my texture selection and I'm thinking I might just use the original ROTT textures to some degree.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Install Gentoo posted:

PRBoom/PRBoom+

H2Omelon posted:

Yeah prBoom+ is the only port worth considering.
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try throughout the week.

For the proposed goon megawad, are we cool to use some custom assets? I'm not looking to use new monsters or weapons or whatever since I'm assuming most people would like to keep this compatible with stuff like Brutal Doom, but I'm interested in maybe using some custom textures, some sprites, and maybe a bit of ACS. I've got my level underway, but I'm having a hard time with my texture selection and I'm thinking I might just use the original ROTT textures to some degree.
I wouldn't mind them. I'm lacking on ideas for a new map so I may start hunting around for custom textures of my own if they're allowed - I just need to learn how to intergrate them, though I assume it isn't that hard.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

As long as your WAD doesn't end up huge for Doom standards then I don't think anyone will care. So just don't dump 40 megs of flats/patches into your WAD.

So what is the status on the goon sampler anyway?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In regards to custom assets, I don't see what the harm would be. Like SPACE HOMOS said, it seems cool as long as nobody dumps a ton of resources into the WAD and makes things needlessly bloated.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

As long as your WAD doesn't end up huge for Doom standards then I don't think anyone will care. So just don't dump 40 megs of flats/patches into your WAD.

So what is the status on the goon sampler anyway?

This is my most recent list:

Updated GOONWAD list:

Cream-of-Plenty - "Suicides" + "Abattoir Blues"
Sanzuo - "Starship"
Encryptic - "Blood of the Earth"
an_mutt - "Aquatic Ruin"
SPACE HOMOS - "Waste"
Jimmy Boag
Chinese Tony Danza
John Carstairs - "TeleLab 01"
Dukka
Ayin

Edit: Gotcha!
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 21, 2012

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Haha, you can probably take me off that list. My urge to map has long passed, as the urge to do anything productive always does.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Looks like the non-test Brutal Doom .16 release is just around the corner. Have some footage of demons being lit on fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQlL_7uEc6I&list=UU_NSOckDnuypJK_FpCO6ogA&index=1&feature=plcp

In other news, I finally got around to downloading GZDoom for the sole purpose of trying out Reelism, and despite having issues with downloading old version of ZDoom, I do not regret it. Everything in it is loving amazing, from the enormous battle tanks, the ROTT-style flamethrower, to having the goddamn world's-most-boringest-ghost pop up and pump you full of plasma is freaking stupendous. Hell, even getting the "alien invasion" enemy wave and discovering that it's made up of re-purposed Duke Nukem Advance enemies put a smile on my face. And Kins, you have an excellent taste in SNES music.

Though, I don't suppose you could do something to make the "Blue Magic" and melee weapon loadouts not suck so much rear end in the future? Those laser gun projectiles are so slow, they'd probably get outrun by fat-rear end mancubuses.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Though, I don't suppose you could do something to make the "Blue Magic" and melee weapon loadouts not suck so much rear end in the future? Those laser gun projectiles are so slow, they'd probably get outrun by fat-rear end mancubuses.
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, Blue Magic sucks right now. I really want to make it not suck.

In other news! According to court filings released as part of that Call of Duty trial Activision's going through, Bungie are working on a new Marathon game! However, only 5% of their staff are allowed to work on it at any given time until their new series takes off, so I wouldn't expect a mega-budget masterpiece with James Earl Jones as the voice of Durandal.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Bungie are working on a new Marathon game! However, only 5% of their staff are allowed to work on it at any given time until their new series takes off

Well, so much for Bungie's claims that Activision have faith in them and were giving them complete creative freedom. You'd think that the studio that put Microsoft on the gaming map would get a little more respect, but then again, Activision are the publisher that shut down the studio that produced the single most profitable console game in history due to potential insubordination.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Well, so much for Bungie's claims that Activision have faith in them and were giving them complete creative freedom. You'd think that the studio that put Microsoft on the gaming map would get a little more respect, but then again, Activision are the publisher that shut down the studio that produced the single most profitable console game in history due to potential insubordination.
Which studio are you referring to? All I can think of is Game Freak.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Which studio are you referring to? All I can think of is Game Freak.

Infinity Ward. Modern Warfare 3 was the fastest grossing videogame in history. Oh, sure, the company is technically still running - just with almost entirely new staff.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's not only one super profitable game, there's MoH:AA and 4 other CoDs. No idea why Bungie would choose Activision over Microsoft apart from getting sick of Halo. I hope they really love their new IP, because Kotick will make sure there's a sequel every 1 or 2 years.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

It's not only one super profitable game, there's MoH:AA and 4 other CoDs. No idea why Bungie would choose Activision over Microsoft apart from getting sick of Halo. I hope they really love their new IP, because Kotick will make sure there's a sequel every 1 or 2 years.
The exact details of the plans for Destiny's alternation between sequel and expansion are in the publicly released contract. Not that this is the thread for that. This is the thread for canine pontiffs and bad Phfor puns!

In Doom news, WildWeasel updated NAZIS! with a bunch of tweaks, fixes and... uhh... Chex Quest support?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnzkT59D0Y

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

In Doom news, WildWeasel updated NAZIS! with a bunch of tweaks, fixes and... uhh... Chex Quest support?

Ooh, nice! That's one of my favourite enemy/weapon mods. It works great with Epic 2, too.

Annoying Question
Feb 18, 2011
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/59671-a-doom-equivalent-to-quake-injector/3/ A neat little application which lets you click a single link on the Doomworld idgames mirror to download and play Doom, Heretic and Hexen wads. It's in beta, but it is already really nice.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So my map is starting to take shape finally, but I've got an important question: how do you limit how far up a perpetual raise platform goes? I have three in the first area, one right at the start and two parallel to each other. The first one raises and lowers to the height that it's already at, but the other two raise all the way to the ceiling despite only being at half the room's height. What's the best way to fix this?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

So my map is starting to take shape finally, but I've got an important question: how do you limit how far up a perpetual raise platform goes? I have three in the first area, one right at the start and two parallel to each other. The first one raises and lowers to the height that it's already at, but the other two raise all the way to the ceiling despite only being at half the room's height. What's the best way to fix this?
When platforms rise or fall, they usually keep going until they reach the same height as the floor of a nearby sector (stopping at the ceiling if there is no nearby floor it passes on the way up). I think this height is determined at the time the platform is about to start moving, so if you have two moving platforms directly next to each other it may not work as you expect. From what I think is happening based on your post, the platform starts at the highest point you want it to be at, but moves up first? If so try lowering the starting height of the platforms?

Alternatively, make a "dummy sector" in the void somewhere that is the height you want the platform to go to, then make another dummy sector connected to it, then join your platform and the second dummy sector so that they are the same sector. That way there will always be a sector of the correct height next to your platform sector. I hope that made sense, sorry. If not I'll try to throw up a diagram after work today.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

H2Omelon posted:

When platforms rise or fall, they usually keep going until they reach the same height as the floor of a nearby sector (stopping at the ceiling if there is no nearby floor it passes on the way up). I think this height is determined at the time the platform is about to start moving, so if you have two moving platforms directly next to each other it may not work as you expect. From what I think is happening based on your post, the platform starts at the highest point you want it to be at, but moves up first? If so try lowering the starting height of the platforms?

Actually, I don't know that they move up first. The thing is that they're free standing platforms (i.e. they don't have any raised floors near them). I'm guessing in order to get them to work I'm going to have to use some sort of ACS trickery, like specifying the amount to raise and lower them with just the regular raise and lower commands and then loop them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Guess what's coming back? Nice to see that a quick break hasn't eroded that unique sense of... subtlety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnMNGEN5xLI

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haha what the hell game is that clip at the end from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Haha what the hell game is that clip at the end from?

C&C: Tiberian Sun.