Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Minidust posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-30-doom-3-bfg-edition-announced-for-pc-ps3-xbox-360

Doom 3 to be re-released in a "BFG Edition" for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC!

I'm hoping for the inclusion of mouselook ala GZDoom into the DOOM 1/2 console ports, but something says to me that they won't. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I ran this in gzdoom with Doom 2's wad and it seems to be missing textures. I like the thing you did with the sectors and floor textures. It seems a little cramped though.
I included some Doom 1 textures as well. Do you need to do something extra for that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The iOS Version of Marathon Infinity is out. Same drill as the previous two games, really, except with a really fuckin' trippy plot.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

SavageMessiah posted:

I noticed that Reelism used a pk7 file and QLZ didn't recognize it in the open dialog. WELL NO LONGER!

New release here: https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz/downloads/Launcher.exe

Note the move to bitbucket - it would loverly if The Kins would update the OP!

Whyyyy do I always post this crap at the end of a page?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

an_mutt posted:

I included some Doom 1 textures as well. Do you need to do something extra for that?

You may need to move over the patches you used and have the textures defined in a 'texturex' inside the wad. You can use slade3 to do this.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You may need to move over the patches you used and have the textures defined in a 'texturex' inside the wad. You can use slade3 to do this.
Hopefully this works? I've patched both the Doom & Doom 2 textures to it just to be safe. I playtested it with just Doom 1 textures patched and it was a mess and patching the Doom 2 textures with it seemed to fix everything up. I dunno, I'm bad with computer. :shobon:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2012

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I tried using your updated wad and was still getting missing textures.

In your editor what assets are you loading and what format are you saving your map in? Are you testing your maps with zdoom, gzdoom, skulltag, ... ?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

In Doombuilder I'm loding up resources from both The Ultimate Doom & Doom II, and it's configured in basic Doom 2; I'm testing with Skulltag. I keep all my IWADS in my main Doom folder so I assume whenever I play my map it's taking the textures from them without the need of patch on the pwad itself?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

Whyyyy do I always post this crap at the end of a page?
Thanks, fixed your link.

an_mutt posted:

You can just include the "NJTEX.ZIP" at the bottom of this page to get all the missing Doom 1 textures into Doom 2.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

an_mutt posted:

In Doombuilder I'm loding up resources from both The Ultimate Doom & Doom II, and it's configured in basic Doom 2; I'm testing with Skulltag. I keep all my IWADS in my main Doom folder so I assume whenever I play my map it's taking the textures from them without the need of patch on the pwad itself?

Yeah running your WAD in skulltag makes the textures show up. I would still try to migrate the used doom 1 textures into your wad because not everyone uses skulltag and some people may not have ultimate doom (highly doubtful).

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Okay, maybe SgtMark is getting just a wee tad bit out of hand with the amount of detail he's putting into Brutal Doom...

...now that he's added loving monster infighting executions. But drat, look at that torso fly.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

The Kins posted:

You can just include the "NJTEX.ZIP" at the bottom of this page to get all the missing Doom 1 textures into Doom 2.
Thanks, I think this did it. Third time's the charm, right guys? :rolleye: I've tested it in PRBoom and it worked fine in both software and OpenGL mode, so it should be alright now!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

ChickenHeart posted:

Okay, maybe SgtMark is getting just a wee tad bit out of hand with the amount of detail he's putting into Brutal Doom...

...now that he's added loving monster infighting executions. But drat, look at that torso fly.

Brutal Doom's starting to toe the line between changes that improve the original Doom or add an interesting twist on a game we've all played to death (replacing the pistol with the assault rifle, reloading weapons, barons throwing corpses at you, using a great sound clip from a movie to tell a monster from hell to go gently caress itself), and changes that are really pointless and seem to be aimed at completely overhauling the original game (replacing the shotgun and apparently now the rocket launcher sprites with bland generic graphics, newly recorded taunts that IMO sound like crap, replacing the stock "pain" sound). Personally I'd like to see Brutal Doom branched off into two mods, one that sticks closer to the original game and one where SgtMark keeps ruining changing whatever he wants to.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Brutal Doom's starting to toe the line between changes that improve the original Doom or add an interesting twist on a game we've all played to death (replacing the pistol with the assault rifle, reloading weapons, barons throwing corpses at you, using a great sound clip from a movie to tell a monster from hell to go gently caress itself), and changes that are really pointless and seem to be aimed at completely overhauling the original game (replacing the shotgun and apparently now the rocket launcher sprites with bland generic graphics, newly recorded taunts that IMO sound like crap, replacing the stock "pain" sound). Personally I'd like to see Brutal Doom branched off into two mods, one that sticks closer to the original game and one where SgtMark keeps ruining changing whatever he wants to.

Yeah, I agree. At this rate, I'm gonna end up sticking to just using Redoom for improved gore effects.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God drat, Epic 2. I'm not quite certain where I stumbled upon it, but I love the levels and the look and feel, but I hate the monsters. loving Revenants and Archviles and loving Spider Masterminds when the levels are so cramped and ammo so scarce. I love everything else about it though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

God drat, Epic 2. I'm not quite certain where I stumbled upon it, but I love the levels and the look and feel, but I hate the monsters. loving Revenants and Archviles and loving Spider Masterminds when the levels are so cramped and ammo so scarce. I love everything else about it though.

Yeah, Epic 2's later levels take a one-way trip to crazy town. I can't remember (somewhere around level 15-17) there's a room with an arch-vile and 4 Cyberdemons that you have to kill. Makes play-thrus with Brutal Doom pretty aggravating. I've heard the WAD is sublime with WildWeasel's Nazis, though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I agree. That new rocket launcher looks awful. I like Brutal Doom, but yeah, I think they're getting a little carried away, and a fork of it sounds like a good solution.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Last time I checked, SgtMark was going to release .16 with a separate add-on that would restore the original Doom sounds/Danny Glover quote. On top of that, all of the voiceclips are through keybinds, completely at your discretion so you can have a silent Doomguy if you wanted or the psychopathic loudmouth Doom Comic guy.

Also on the rocket launcher, are you referring to the Mancubus Cannon he's using in the beginning of that linked video, or the actual rocket launcher used at the end with the drum clip? 'Cause I think it's a neat touch-up of the original weapon; it shares the same basic shape and color scheme of Doom's launcher, but with some extra gubbins that give it a powerful, chunky appeal and a kickass reloading sound that I love.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ohhh that's the mancubus cannon? Well that makes more sense then. Couldn't figure out why the rocket launcher would look like that [or why the rockets would look like that] but that makes total sense.

This is what I get for posting while busy at work :P

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, Epic 2's later levels take a one-way trip to crazy town. I can't remember (somewhere around level 15-17) there's a room with an arch-vile and 4 Cyberdemons that you have to kill. Makes play-thrus with Brutal Doom pretty aggravating. I've heard the WAD is sublime with WildWeasel's Nazis, though.

I'm on level 3-4 :gonk:

This... may not be the mod for me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SgtMarkIV needs to take a nice break from Brutal Doom. A summer of not working on Brutal Doom would probably give him a fresh perspective on what the hell he wants to do with this mod. Right now Brutal Doom is being taken over by feature creep and a desire to change things just for the sake of them being different.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Honestly the shotgun and that rocket launcher's sprites are the only things I dislike, everything else is pretty drat awesome, especially the taunts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

SgtMarkIV needs to take a nice break from Brutal Doom. A summer of not working on Brutal Doom would probably give him a fresh perspective on what the hell he wants to do with this mod. Right now Brutal Doom is being taken over by feature creep and a desire to change things just for the sake of them being different.

This has been said about Brutal Doom pretty much since the first release of the mod, and yet somehow, repeated with each new version, yet each release is better than the last, bugs aside. I do think the voice-acting is a little too high-pitched in places, but having it consistent between pain and taunts makes sense.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Reive posted:

Honestly the shotgun and that rocket launcher's sprites are the only things I dislike, everything else is pretty drat awesome, especially the taunts.

As stated above, that isn't the rocket launcher, it's the Mancubus gun that you can now salvage from their corpses.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Honestly, I am kind of disappointed with how my voice acting turned out in the end. In order for it to be clearly audible during all the mayhem, SgtMarkIV had to increase the volume. So despite it being recorded with a studio quality mic, it's kind of clippy. I'm wondering if maybe some talented goon could take a crack at the taunts and what have you with the original files in hand and smooth them out a bit. I'm not really an audio engineer so I don't know how clear things can be made.

Then again, I'm totally free this weekend so I could always sit down for recording session #3 and try and crank out lines that will level up better. Seeing these complaints popping up is kind of making me want to do them over again after taking some advice from you guys.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
How much audio are we talking about here? I can take a stab at it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Roughly twenty minutes of audio across two files. I've got MP3s up on Mediafire of the last two sessions, and I do still have the original WAV files if that makes a difference. Session two is mostly taunts and grunts, whereas three was something SgtMarkIV requested specifically, some extra death sounds and multiplayer-only voice clips.

Session Two
Session Three

The first session's somewhere else in this thread, but I don't think any of that is being used anymore since it was basically just me loving around and seeing what people thought of my voice acting.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
According to the official ZDoom forums, the next version of Russian Overkill is finally getting updated tomorrow, June 2nd. Barring any technical problems, of course.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Was just playing around with the latest Skulltag beta build, and it feels like there's been quite a bit of optimization done in recent releases. Even with a high-res texture pack, running the Brutalized Doom map-pack (remixed larger, more enemy-filled versions of the Doom 1 & 2 campaigns), and Brutal Doom v16-Test3, it seldom (if ever) dropped from 60fps. It used to stutter quite a bit before.

Has the open-sourcing been reaping rewards?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 2, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Russian Overkill is back, and they've bought some Reinforcements From Moldova!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just recorded another little gameplay video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzycLoT0reU - Brutal Doom V16b3 with supporting texture, music and map mods.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Chinese Tony Danza, I really like your voice work for Brutal Doom. It sounds really manic and unhinged, which I think definitely reflects Doomguy's behaviour in this mod.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominic White posted:

Just recorded another little gameplay video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzycLoT0reU - Brutal Doom V16b3 with supporting texture, music and map mods.
Ugh, those high res textures are frightfully ugly. When will people learn that low res models do not look good with high res textures?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I found an old CD called D!ZONE which includes a Doom front end and a huge collection of WAD files. Unfortunately 99% of them are garbage since it looks like whoever made the collection just pulled everything on the Internet with a .wad extension and threw it on the CD. The few interesting ones are from 1994 which was before map makers started doing really nutty stuff - The most notable level in the collection is probably UACDead.

However I did find a sound replacement file which makes multiplayer deathmatch... interesting. http://www.mediafire.com/?53xdcy9dd8uoh3y

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 3, 2012

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Brutal Doom absolutely wrecks the balance of what was a perfect game. The fact that mechanics like regeneration need to be introduced to offset all the stupid bullshit that enemies do is kind of... depressing.

Hitscan enemies are massively more powerful (in a game where damage mitigation is done by dodging - powerful sergeants and zombiemen forces you to use cover mechanics like every other fps out there), the game loses that crucial readability amidst the overdone effects and stuff like screen cracks, and the extra lethality just turns an intelligent game into a dumb one.

It's a nice spectacle once in a while and every so often I load it up with Invasion mode and go to down, but playing it any more than that, or having the sheer lack of taste to try playing Alien Vendetta or DV2 with it is like only eating your steak when it's boiled in ketchup. So why is every second post in this thread about it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo.

Never before have I felt such a sense of accomplishment and loathing for a mapper. Scythe's Map 24: "Anger". Brutal Doom V16test3 on Ultra Violent.

The end maps of Scythe are pretty interesting. It's not easy but it's a nice change. Try playing without BD and see if you do any better.

Of course that's nothing on Scythe 2 where the final maps have you killing evil Doomguys armed with plasma rifles while a crummy symphony X MIDI plays...

danbo fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 3, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tiger Schwert posted:

Brutal Doom absolutely wrecks the balance of what was a perfect game. The fact that mechanics like regeneration need to be introduced to offset all the stupid bullshit that enemies do is kind of... depressing.

Wait, what? The balance is one of the most highly praised things about the mod. Yes, some enemies are a bit more dangerous, but you're also capable of taking them down a lot faster in most cases. Every weapon, right down to the starting rifle has a use. The single shotgun is useful right through the game, never being rendered obsolete. The minigun becomes a better close-combat weapon than the plasma gun.

It's different from normal, but it really doesn't 'wreck' anything.

It's meant to be harder overall, because Doom & Doom 2 are pretty easy by modern standards. If a map-pack is too hard, then play on a difficulty below UV. Doom players seem to have forgotten that the three settings below that even exist.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

It's meant to be harder overall, because Doom & Doom 2 are pretty easy by modern standards.

And the solution is to make challenging maps that take advantage of what's already there, not to uniformly increase lethality and turn the game into a spastic mess.

The vanilla pistol? It's not a great weapon. In fact having to kill anything with it pisses me off. DV2 got around this by introducing the dualie pistols which are really fun to use without breaking the balance of the wad too much - you don't really use them after the first 2 maps, but they get around that stodginess you see in a lot of map01s and map02s. What BD does is give you a really powerful (headshots) and accurate long-range weapon with cheap ammo when the game was not designed to have that weapon archetype. And then the guy put ironsights on it in case it wasn't dissonant enough with the rest of the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tiger Schwert posted:

And the solution is to make challenging maps that take advantage of what's already there, not to uniformly increase lethality and turn the game into a spastic mess.

But it's a mod that's meant to plug into every map-pack and be universally compatible, not a self-contained campaign. Yes, it makes some levels that were designed to be super-hard already even harder. So lower the difficulty level.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

But it's a mod that's meant to plug into every map-pack and be universally compatible, not a self-contained campaign. Yes, it makes some levels that were designed to be super-hard already even harder. So lower the difficulty level.

Most wads are designed for UV with a general "eh well it probably won't crash" attitude, and because of item spawns etc that's how they should be played. Have you not realised how stuff like the magic jumping imps, super powerful hitscanners and spiderdemons that fire explosive rounds just might change how levels should be designed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tiger Schwert posted:

Most wads are designed for UV with a general "eh well it probably won't crash" attitude, and because of item spawns etc that's how they should be played. Have you not realised how stuff like the magic jumping imps, super powerful hitscanners and spiderdemons that fire explosive rounds just might change how levels should be designed?

You seem to be in this weird state of denial that any setting below UV exists. That seems to be the entire core of your problem here. Yes, for the longest time, UV was the only difficulty setting that anyone played. That has changed. Now there are actually five difficulty settings!