Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Man, Ken's Labyrinth's original engine really reminds me of that Pie In The Sky software, Game Builder. I was a spoiled kid and was able to play around with that for a bit. Anyone else play around with that at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nokiaman posted:

Are you by any chance using W10 Anniversary (1607)? It has issues with exclusive fullscreen that cause this.

Not really sure how to tell if I do or not. I'm on W10 Pro.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ularg posted:

Not really sure how to tell if I do or not. I'm on W10 Pro.
Does this emoji (🦊) look like this? If yes, then you're probably on the Anniversary Update.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I guess I am then. Is there a fix for it or just wait for a windows update that unfucks it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Play windowed for the time being.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Ularg posted:

I guess I am then. Is there a fix for it or just wait for a windows update that unfucks it?

Either windowed mode like mentioned or borderless "fullscreen" one if it's available.
As for it being fixed I doubt it'll be until the next version that is released in April 2017 (or never :v:)

(Also easiest way to check version is to type winver in search)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, is this why I can only sometimes run Steam in big picture mode, and the rest of the time, I don't see anything?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Professor of Cats posted:

Man, Ken's Labyrinth's original engine really reminds me of that Pie In The Sky software, Game Builder. I was a spoiled kid and was able to play around with that for a bit. Anyone else play around with that at all?

I played some terrible games off PC Format cover discs that were made with it, if that counts? Man the 90s were amazing for playing complete garbage game demos just because I couldn't afford to buy real games.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Convex posted:

I played some terrible games off PC Format cover discs that were made with it, if that counts? Man the 90s were amazing for playing complete garbage game demos just because I couldn't afford to buy real games.

it would be wonderful to have a thread exclusivelty about old and weird shareware demos. anybody remember the old Romtech Galaxy of Games CDs? it's bonkers just how many straight up weird things were in those.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

FYI I updated the "Quake singleplayer starter pack": https://github.com/neogeographica/quakestarter/releases

Another addition I'm thinking of for this, is a batch file that will automatically find necessary pak files elsewhere on your computer (e.g. from a Steam Quake install) and copy them over. I haven't added this into the starter pack zipfile yet, but if anyone wants to help me test it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11690738/temp/install_pakfiles.bat

That batch file will go into the "installers" folder with the others, although it should also work if placed at the same level as your id1 folder. Just double-click it to run it.

It uses the registry to look for Steam or GOG installations of Quake, and also looks in various typical folders (like "\Quake") on local drives. If you do want to give it a try, let me know how it goes by post or by PM.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I remember playing a game made in it or a demo of a game made in it and wow :stare: I never made anything with it though.

Johnny Law posted:

Another addition I'm thinking of for this, is a batch file that will automatically find necessary pak files elsewhere on your computer (e.g. from a Steam Quake install) and copy them over. I haven't added this into the starter pack zipfile yet, but if anyone wants to help me test it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11690738/temp/install_pakfiles.bat

That batch file will go into the "installers" folder with the others, although it should also work if placed at the same level as your id1 folder. Just double-click it to run it.

It uses the registry to look for Steam or GOG installations of Quake, and also looks in various typical folders (like "\Quake") on local drives. If you do want to give it a try, let me know how it goes by post or by PM.

Just wanted to say you're doing good work in making it easier to spread the good word of Quake. Praise Shub-Niggurath :worship: :cthulhu:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Wamdoodle posted:

Just wanted to say you're doing good work in making it easier to spread the good word of Quake. Praise Shub-Niggurath :worship: :cthulhu:

All praise!

=====

In sadder news tho:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/826531007381794817

That's "Mr. Elusive" who wrote the Omicron bot for Quake, Gladiator bot for Q2, and then was hired at id to work on the Q3 bot AI and later a range of other technical stuff. He was a fairly young guy I think.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

I remember playing a game made with it, Lethal Tender. If I'm remembering it right it actually was kind of advanced, in that it had an inventory system and indoor/outdoor areas. I think it also had a live minimap or radar thing too. I kind of want to try it out again, I don't think I ever beat it without cheating as a kid.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

I totally loved that weird software. I especially thought that the HUD was the bee's knees, even though in retrospect its massive display's main purpose was probably just to have the rendering space be as small as possible. The nervous system outline that would get more wounded over time (even though it was basically a massive version of the Doomguy face), the inventory, the compass, augh it was all so cool looking.

Even the washed-out, beige, puke-colored palette is overwhelmingly nostalgic, like an old toy with faded paint.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Douk Douk posted:

I totally loved that weird software. I especially thought that the HUD was the bee's knees, even though in retrospect its massive display's main purpose was probably just to have the rendering space be as small as possible. The nervous system outline that would get more wounded over time (even though it was basically a massive version of the Doomguy face), the inventory, the compass, augh it was all so cool looking.

Even the washed-out, beige, puke-colored palette is overwhelmingly nostalgic, like an old toy with faded paint.
LOL me too :cool::respek::cool:

I day-dreamed about the Game BuilderGame Creation System based on those insanely busy ads they put in magazines. I think I only played one game based on it (quite possibly this one) and somehow that didn't discourage me (ah, the innocence of youth!). I think I managed to get ahold of a terrible long-forgotten Doom level editor shortly thereafter and didn't look back.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the guy(s) behind Pie in the Sky still have a website with the historical backstory!

EDIT2: I remember playing Corncob 3D too. I had forgotten that was the same guy.

david_a fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9E1zogbCJY&hd=1

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
voxels are strange in that they can look awesome and poo poo at the same time

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The voxel terrain in Delta Force looks really great at medium distance, but breaks down in the near field and in the far distance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm impressed by the resolution, although using voxel renderers just so you can import models easily seems like a waste. I guess it lets you get around doom limitations though... but what I really wanna see now is like some Red Faction style destructible walls in Doom :allears:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Douk Douk posted:

If we're gonna talk about Pie in the Sky we absolutely have to talk about the wonderfully infamous Chub Gam 3D: Director's Cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_4k_9bLRY

This mess of a game is probably the closest anyone got to making a full game in this engine and it's absolutely awful. The story makes no sense and alot of the new graphics are just weird cutouts or MSpaint drawings for characters. majority of the stuff is base graphics the engine has by default (like all the games made with it.)
It's website consistently shows tons of awards it got from different sites of dubious origin. maybe it was impressive back in the 90s?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Diabetes Forecast posted:

If we're gonna talk about Pie in the Sky we absolutely have to talk about the wonderfully infamous Chub Gam 3D: Director's Cut

This mess of a game is probably the closest anyone got to making a full game in this engine and it's absolutely awful. The story makes no sense and alot of the new graphics are just weird cutouts or MSpaint drawings for characters. majority of the stuff is base graphics the engine has by default (like all the games made with it.)
It's website consistently shows tons of awards it got from different sites of dubious origin. maybe it was impressive back in the 90s?

Well it was free, so that meant a lot of people got it. You can even get it off archive.org packaged up to use in DOSBOX now https://archive.org/details/CHUBGAM3D_1020

There were plenty of full games made in it by people other than the developers of the engine though. There was one themed around mobsters that was somewhat popular, though it was a multiple episode game and only the first ep was shareware. There was also another multi-episode game set in a spaceship of some sort I think? which was perfectly ok. Not neccesarily a good game but not really a bad one either.

Later when they made it able to build games for Windows, there were even more games, a lot of them by people that would be using like, Unity, these days.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ha ha, drat, this is what I played.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

There was one themed around mobsters that was somewhat popular, though it was a multiple episode game and only the first ep was shareware.
La Cosa Nostra?

I love how the profile picture of your character has him thrashing about wildly for even the most minor damage, making it difficult to tell at a glance how much health you have, and how the ceiling doesn't seem to move at the same speed as the tops of walls - like it's being rendered lower than it should be, or something.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

david_a posted:

LOL me too :cool::respek::cool:

I day-dreamed about the Game BuilderGame Creation System based on those insanely busy ads they put in magazines. I think I only played one game based on it (quite possibly this one) and somehow that didn't discourage me (ah, the innocence of youth!). I think I managed to get ahold of a terrible long-forgotten Doom level editor shortly thereafter and didn't look back.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the guy(s) behind Pie in the Sky still have a website with the historical backstory!

EDIT2: I remember playing Corncob 3D too. I had forgotten that was the same guy.

This is incredible. I love reading behind-the-scenes stories for any sort of obscure work like this, thanks!

Yeeees. This was such a crap rip-off game, but it's pretty charming in its own way, like an old-timey snake oil salesman. Wikipedia's dry article syntax cracks me up regarding its many "awards":

Wikipedia page for Pie 3D GCS posted:

The game is claimed to have won a number of awards, the only traceable one being its inclusion as one of MPI World's "Top 52 Free Games of '98". A director's cut was later released by ChubGamSoft with several improvements, including cutscenes, and it was supposedly sold in Brazil.

Games like this just scratch some sort of retro itch that few other games can. It was during an era where what little indie games that existed leaned toward being avant-garde, goofy, or just straight-up bizarre without being the least bit pretentious or perfect. Everything was messy and vague, the total wild west of indie PC gaming.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Been looking at mid-00 shooters and found Exodus from the Earth. Anyone else besides me trying to finish this game? It's been a while since I last played a game that just shoves a fist up your rear end if you don't approach every single encounter with a degree of preperation and twitchy trigger finger.

It's probably the closest thing out there to a SiN episode-like game besides Chaser.

Johnny Law posted:

All praise!

=====

In sadder news tho:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/826531007381794817

That's "Mr. Elusive" who wrote the Omicron bot for Quake, Gladiator bot for Q2, and then was hired at id to work on the Q3 bot AI and later a range of other technical stuff. He was a fairly young guy I think.

Sad to hear this. Been trying to follow his work recently and probably would've tried to get in touch with him eventually :(

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

Another addition I'm thinking of for this, is a batch file that will automatically find necessary pak files elsewhere on your computer (e.g. from a Steam Quake install) and copy them over.

OK. Tweaked this a bit more, added it into the package, and updated the docs. Also various files had gotten flipped from Windows-style line endings to Unix-style, so I corrected that.

https://github.com/neogeographica/quakestarter/releases/latest

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-01-the-many-faces-of-dooms-afterlife

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I really appreciate that idiotic attempt to deadname Randi Heit, even as they get her gender right. What the gently caress, Eurogamer?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

I really appreciate that idiotic attempt to deadname Randi Heit, even as they get her gender right. What the gently caress, Eurogamer?

Email the author. It's probably ignorance not intentional.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm having a small problem with Doom64 EX and Powerslave EX. I had to get a new computer and it has a larger screen, 1920x1080 vs 1600x900. However, changing my resolution seems to shift the screen and I can't seem to make it centred, full screen and 1920x1080. Anybody else have this happen? Have you fixed it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played Timesplitters before and the other night I gave the first game a spin. What little bit I played kicked rear end until it crashed Dolphin.

Apparently to fix the crashing I need to fiddle with one of the speed hacking options, which unfortunately makes the game too slow to be playable on my computer. Oh well :sigh:

catlord posted:

I'm having a small problem with Doom64 EX and Powerslave EX. I had to get a new computer and it has a larger screen, 1920x1080 vs 1600x900. However, changing my resolution seems to shift the screen and I can't seem to make it centred, full screen and 1920x1080. Anybody else have this happen? Have you fixed it?

I have no problem with D64EX at that resolution. Try deleting your config file? I dunno.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Been looking at mid-00 shooters and found Exodus from the Earth. Anyone else besides me trying to finish this game? It's been a while since I last played a game that just shoves a fist up your rear end if you don't approach every single encounter with a degree of preperation and twitchy trigger finger.

It's probably the closest thing out there to a SiN episode-like game besides Chaser.

Literally the only thing I know about this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZrOnuyepCY

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

I have no problem with D64EX at that resolution. Try deleting your config file? I dunno.

Tried that, no dice. Weird. Oh well, at least I can try the Doom demo now. Well, I could before but only at "Quake mod" level visuals for, at best, 30 frames.

Douk Douk posted:

Why wasn't this game of the year?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played Timesplitters before and the other night I gave the first game a spin. What little bit I played kicked rear end until it crashed Dolphin.

Apparently to fix the crashing I need to fiddle with one of the speed hacking options, which unfortunately makes the game too slow to be playable on my computer. Oh well :sigh:
I don't think Timeplitters 1 came out on any platforms other than the PS2, which means you were probably playing Timesplitters 2. That's OK though, it's the only good one. If you have an old Wii or Wii U lying around, they can be wrangled into playing the game, so try that if you can; it's worth it!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lork posted:

I don't think Timeplitters 1 came out on any platforms other than the PS2, which means you were probably playing Timesplitters 2. That's OK though, it's the only good one. If you have an old Wii or Wii U lying around, they can be wrangled into playing the game, so try that if you can; it's worth it!

What? No I was playing Timesplitters 1. Both it and its sequel came out on all three consoles of that generation.

I don't have access to a GC, PS2, Xbox, Wii, or Wii-U right now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sure you're not thinking of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, the third entry of the series?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hogama posted:

Sure you're not thinking of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, the third entry of the series?

I thought there were only two games and Future Perfect was the first. I feel dumb. Sorry Lork :saddowns:

God dammit I hate it when game series are named this way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

What? No I was playing Timesplitters 1. Both it and its sequel came out on all three consoles of that generation.

I don't have access to a GC, PS2, Xbox, Wii, or Wii-U right now.

There is literally no way you are playing Timesplitters 1 in Dolphin. It only came out on PS2 as Free Radical couldn't get hold of a GC dev kit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hogama posted:

Yeah I was just about to say, he's probably playing Future Perfect on Gamecube.

Timesplitters 1 was really great for its time but 2 is pretty much better in every way.

Future Perfect is cool too but in many ways 2 is my favorite.

Lork posted:

Whats funny is in my memory I *swear* Timesplitters 1 was on the PS1 and I played it at my friend's house who had a PS1 and then I got a PS2 and got Timesplitters 2 on PS2.

But no... it was totally PS2.

That's one of those wrong-memory things like the Bernstein Bears that fucks with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Douk Douk posted:

I just uninstalled the game to make room for Unreal Engine.

Instantly regretting that decision.