Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
deuce sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dookie Nukem 3D.

Sorry, I'm done.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Duke Nukem Forever. Doesn't need any changes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Keiya posted:

Duke Nukem Forever. Doesn't need any changes.

It does let you pick up and throw some dookie, while Duke protests! Hideo Kojima-esque meta genius from the late great 3DR boys.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dookie Nukem 3D.

Sorry, I'm done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yj-fxnkeEU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Speaking of Dookies, Bulletsotrm with Duke Nukem.

All aboard the barf bus.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Uncle Kitchener posted:

All aboard the barf bus.

"WE LIVE ON A PRISON PLANET; INFOWARS.COM"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOkbfFICEp8

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

All aboard the barf bus.

I'm buying Bulletstorm remake...

...when it's like 75% off because loving Gearbox.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Gearbox can't market games for poo poo.

I'll get the game just so I can warn the rest of you if it's a no-buy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I mean, Bulletstorm was loving great, I would be surprised if they somehow gently caress this up beyond the pricing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

catlord posted:

I mean, Bulletstorm was loving great, I would be surprised if they somehow gently caress this up beyond the pricing.

Somewhere, Randy Pitchford just said "hold my beer."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So was that Duke Nukem 3D rerelease with the new episode worth a drat? I watched some playthroughs of the new episode and it looked like a long-lost Redneck Rampage total conversion, from the level layouts to the textures to the shitton of enemies.

I'm still never forgiving Gearbox for pulling Megaton edition though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

King Vidiot posted:

So was that Duke Nukem 3D rerelease with the new episode worth a drat? I watched some playthroughs of the new episode and it looked like a long-lost Redneck Rampage total conversion, from the level layouts to the textures to the shitton of enemies.

Well, it sure wasn't worth the full price if you already owned Duke 3D in any form and thsu were only getting one new episode out of it. It was good otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm actually really thankful that I have Megaton edition, can't believe it's just removed from the store.

Unless there's some sort of rights/royalties issue I'm not aware of, they absolutely could have added the episode as $5 (maybe even $10) dlc, and if you bought it, you'd get the nice engine uograde, too. Or the engine upgrade could be free, I don't know.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Hiya folks, we are still doing patches to Turok2, would you believe? New update in the beta branch:

quote:

Beta Update #2 Patch Notes (KEX Engine 1.5.2)
===========

Single-Player Gameplay
======================
* Show both ammo types in the HUD when weapon has two
* Bug fixes with particle splash damage (non-explosive) setting off event link triggers
* All generators that spawn random ammo now works
* Minor collision fixes in first Death Marsh level
* Fixed situation where player could become trapped in the spider-health trap chamber in River of Souls
* Crash fix when switching levels while enemies are being triggered by an event

Renderer / Graphics
====================
* Major performance gain in the main world deferred shader

Local and Network Multiplayer
=============================
* Improved situations where protocol commands would become over-throttled when sending to latent nodes.
* Experimental multithreaded packet transmission (cl_multithreadpackets)

Audio
====================
* Do not apply cvarVolume to SFX_VOICE effects as they have already been scaled by voice volume

User Interface
==============
* Ability to delete save games

As a side note, If you are noticing performance problems while hosting a server with large player numbers, you can experiment turning cl_multithreadpackets on (cl_multithreadpackets 1 in the console) and see if that improves the situation. This can/has to be done while the game is already running (the value isn't remembered for now and defaults to off). Tell me if everything crashes or not if you try this.
Multi-threading is hard okay :smith:.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

Hiya folks, we are still doing patches to Turok2, would you believe? New update in the beta branch:

Glad you all are still working on it. Will these fix the problem where you can't re-enter the Death Marshes' armories?

Today I finally did it. I beat Turok 2 after all these years. The last level (Primagen's Lightship) is really good and the level before that (Mantid Hive) is like a mix between the Perfect Dark alien ship and Xen from Half-Life. Pretty cool, but gets confusing towards the end. Overall I had a good time!

I noticed that the Mantid Queen and Mother bosses seem to have busted health bars. They take a few more shots to kill once the bar empties. I never managed to get that far in the original game so I don't know if it's intended behavior or not.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Glad you all are still working on it. Will these fix the problem where you can't re-enter the Death Marshes' armories?

I believe we already fixed that? It was related to triggers not ending when you left the current map.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

It's well worthwhile, some of the best levels in any game in years. They got Levelord and Allen Blum back. Some of the new art may be a bit cartoony (especially the first level), but overall it fit in for me. On standard "Let's Rock" difficulty there weren't crazy mobs of enemies, gameplay felt pretty spot on to me. If you dig Duke 3D, you'll probably love some of those new levels. If you don't dig the layouts (based on videos though) we may just have different taste. Most fans who played it seem to dig it though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

I believe we already fixed that? It was related to triggers not ending when you left the current map.

I backtracked to get the Primagen key on the save file I had since pre-patch and it still happened, but I just tried it using a new game and you are correct. My bad!

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kinda behind on this, but as a longtime Descent fan, played it to DEATH as a kid... I was actually impressed by the first playable teaser of Overload. This second teaser they recently released? My jaw dropped. I'm pretty blown away.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Looks like bulletstorm is dx11 only. I might have to save up for a new PC for Doom2016 and the rest of these new fancy games.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

It's well worthwhile, some of the best levels in any game in years. They got Levelord and Allen Blum back. Some of the new art may be a bit cartoony (especially the first level), but overall it fit in for me. On standard "Let's Rock" difficulty there weren't crazy mobs of enemies, gameplay felt pretty spot on to me. If you dig Duke 3D, you'll probably love some of those new levels. If you don't dig the layouts (based on videos though) we may just have different taste. Most fans who played it seem to dig it though.

I got this during the last steam sale and while Pitchford doesn't deserve a dime the level designers do. It was a really well done set of levels with only a couple of dull spots. Plus the rewind feature is really nice for handling some of the harder encounters and difficulty levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I got this during the last steam sale and while Pitchford doesn't deserve a dime the level designers do. It was a really well done set of levels with only a couple of dull spots. Plus the rewind feature is really nice for handling some of the harder encounters and difficulty levels.

I used to play the XBLA version of DN3D and yeah, I can vouch for the rewind feature being slick as hell. It's cheatey and gamey, but hey, whatever... my old man FPS skills have atrophied and I appreciate a quick do-over. It's really a way more streamlined Quick Save/Load system, done really well.

:corsair:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

is there a way to somehow implement the rewind feature in user-made levels? That'd be perfect. One can dream.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

is there a way to somehow implement the rewind feature in user-made levels? That'd be perfect. One can dream.

Wait, is this not a thing? I thought it was engine-dependent, not level-dependent, isn't it?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Presumably, yes, but does that collection even support custom levels at the moment?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

Presumably, yes, but does that collection even support custom levels at the moment?

It does, but I've heard people complaining its support, so maybe not as ideally as one would want.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just tried some Turok 2 multiplayer. Couldn't find any rooms so I made one and then it very quickly became full.

It was chaos. Sweet, sweet chaos. Honestly I didn't expect it to be that fun!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I know the multiplayer includes the N64 weapons but which version is the multiplayer based on - N64, PC or is it something original?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know the multiplayer includes the N64 weapons but which version is the multiplayer based on - N64, PC or is it something original?

The N64 multiplayer, kinda. It started life as the N64 multiplayer (exclusively as network multiplayer, 16 players, no splitscreen), however as development went on it quickly became apparent that the N64 multiplayer wasn't going to be fully portable (among other things the N64 multiplayer maps weren't in a format that was actually PC compatible), so we mixed in some of the original PC maps to compensate, keeping the N64 MP crossbow as the starting weapon. Because of how the original PC multiplayer worked, that also threw in almost all the singleplayer weapons as well. We then later managed to add splitscreen and resurrect some of the N64 maps. We also additionally added the PFM from singleplayer which neither version had in multiplayer before.

The end result is essentially a mix of both. Especially the Rok Mix mode that I made in 30 minutes which has every available multiplayer weapon, including the otherwise unused N64 MP weapons.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 28, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

Especially the Rok Mix mode that I made in 30 minutes which has every available multiplayer weapon, including the otherwise unused N64 MP weapons.

I just played a few rounds of this with some randos and it was a loving blast. The SP and MP versions of weapons behave a little differently so it adds a bit more variety to the already huge arsenal. The Plasma Rifle has a higher rate of fire but doesn't hitscan, the Charge Dart has ricocheting rounds but can't be charged, and the Scorpion Launcher only fires one rocket. The single-fire Scorpion is so satisfying to use.

Every now and then you spawn with a Nuke with a single round. It's... not hard to make that one shot count. Good poo poo.

I'm sad that you're missing a few N64 maps because I remember having a lot of fun in that one with the central column of water. I didn't see it in our rotation.

Edit: nope it's still there!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 28, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just realized I haven't posted about recent events in a while:

GZDoom and QZDoom have both updated. This new update adds all sorts of new toys for modders and scripters.

Doom Delta is a gameplay mod that takes its cues from the old Doom development bibles and prototype builds, with multiple playable characters and the resurrection of gameplay elements that never saw the light of day, like a HUD minimap. It's not as "flashy" as some gameplay mods, but it has some pretty nice touches in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uoV3WmAPSU

Brutal Doom is working on an update that makes the Purist class not purist, renders Barrels O' Fun unwinnable and adds one or two cool features that from what I've heard are implemented in horrifying ways under the hood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_9KkOeLRQ

Waterlab GZD is a new single-map GZDoom TC by Enjay, set in an abandoned looking base that probably smells terrific.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I've played the beta of Doom Delta already. Can guarantee it's some good poo poo. I like the helmet hud.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

Brutal Doom is working on an update that makes the Purist class not purist, renders Barrels O' Fun unwinnable and adds one or two cool features that from what I've heard are implemented in horrifying ways under the hood.

Isn't this the changelog to every Brutal Doom version?

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 29, 2017

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Catch me up please... what's QZDoom about?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Just realized I haven't posted about recent events in a while:

GZDoom and QZDoom have both updated. This new update adds all sorts of new toys for modders and scripters.

Any features that you're looking forward to for your mods?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Johnny Law posted:

Do you prefer the software renderer to the hardware renderer, but hate how it's limited to the game's 256-color palette instead of true-color?

That's QZDoom in a nutshell.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Huh.

On the Quake side of things, the main reason people like the "software renderer" is because of palette restriction. What's the selling point of QZDoom if it's a true-color software renderer? Vertical view warping?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

It's GZDoom with renderer features that are too experimental for the main fork. Currently that more-or-less amounts to under-the-hood improvements to the oldschool 8-bit software renderer, a new 32-bit full-colour software renderer, and dynamic lights in the OpenGL renderer casting fancy shadows. (Which is something I fully intend to abuse in future maps!)

Johnny Law posted:

Huh.

On the Quake side of things, the main reason people like the "software renderer" is because of palette restriction. What's the selling point of QZDoom if it's a true-color software renderer? Vertical view warping?
To be blunt, it's primary purpose is keeping renderer programmers off the streets. :v:

Wamdoodle posted:

Any features that you're looking forward to for your mods?
The big new feature is that menus are now ZScript-ified, so you can do all sorts of fun things to the UI that you couldn't before... although the code for them is something you can't really work with unless you're pretty C++-fluent. Which I am not. Oh well. Hopefully people who are will start digging into it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Johnny Law posted:

What's the selling point of QZDoom if it's a true-color software renderer? Vertical view warping?

Far as I can tell I'm the only person that cares about this but color depth changing with distance and light levels is one thing I really miss about software renderers.