Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Will will most likely spend crazy amount of money I've been saving for over a year of a rig above £2000 only to play Doom and Duke.

Convex posted:

Gonna refund Duke 3d World Tour. The port somehow runs worse than Megaton edition, and also as good as the new maps are it doesn't feel worth £7.50 really.

Might pick it up again if it goes 75% off I guess.

It's gonna be a keeper for me even if some parts run better than Megaton while others are the total opposite, even on the software renderer. I doubt the game is actually running on DX11, since my card only emulates it and I can only use it for vertical splices and the game still runs smooth on the 3D renderer most of the time. Maybe it auto detects and picks a DX9/10 renderer instead.

The insantanious render seemed like a novel idea and some stages seemed to be designed for the 3D renderer primarily, but overall the package is a £4-5 for a game that's been released a whole bunch of times already. I hate putting any money in Gearbox's pockets but this seems like a small meager amount.

The levels are decent but I wish they could release the Midi/MUS tracks for the new levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Regular Nintendo posted:

This is pretty nice, but is Unreal 2 really normally sold for forty loving earth dollars

The Unreal franchise pack is normally forty dollars, nobody's mad enough to buy that dog on its own

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Convex posted:

Gonna refund Duke 3d World Tour. The port somehow runs worse than Megaton edition, and also as good as the new maps are it doesn't feel worth £7.50 really.

Might pick it up again if it goes 75% off I guess.

Opposite experience for me. I can't get Megaton edition to run on my laptop without either extreme tearing or extreme mouse lag depending on how I fiddle with VSync and frame caps.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Buca di Bepis posted:

Opposite experience for me. I can't get Megaton edition to run on my laptop without either extreme tearing or extreme mouse lag depending on how I fiddle with VSync and frame caps.

I can only run megaton smoothly on window mode. World Tour runs perfectly fine on the other hand. Fullscreen and all that jazz too. Slight slowdown in some areas but it's rare.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
This weekend I've been ill and that's usually when I actually get a whole weekend to gently caress about on stupid things like Quake mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7N6HY0q1s

I thought hey, what if you took the Quake story from the manual, changed a couple of lines, and made a semi-cool intro. So this is what I've got so far after plugging away. Helicopter and Car nicked from AirQuake.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

c0burn posted:

loving hell that MOH game. You'd think Nintendo would be able to veto absolute shite like that.

The Serious Sam game is also pretty egregious. The overhead Medal of Honor game was pretty decent though.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

c0burn posted:

This weekend I've been ill and that's usually when I actually get a whole weekend to gently caress about on stupid things like Quake mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7N6HY0q1s

I thought hey, what if you took the Quake story from the manual, changed a couple of lines, and made a semi-cool intro. So this is what I've got so far after plugging away. Helicopter and Car nicked from AirQuake.

This is great. I never quite understood quakec, but loved spending time loving about with quake mods back in the day. Swapping out models and sounds, adding skins--good times. The literal interpretation of the Quake manual is pretty cool, and the doom weapon models fit nicely. Your other videos with the AI look pretty cool, too!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well if we're doing show and tell... Here's a dumb mutator in a dumb mod I've spent some time farting around with lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0wnkN8_MGA

I've since fixed the game over text not randomising. :sweatdrop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Well if we're doing show and tell... Here's a dumb mutator in a dumb mod I've spent some time farting around with lately.

Lol, this is great.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Kinsie, you make the best stupid poo poo and I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

No lie, I would have this permanently installed.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright I'm getting off my lazy rear end and finally getting around to Arcane Dimensions (after I do a quick run through of Quake), question is, what source port does everyone use, Quakespasm?

Also is there any recommended tweaks to do? Good texture packs/animations packs akin to Smooth Doom? I've got the CD audio so no need to worry about that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cerepol posted:

Alright I'm getting off my lazy rear end and finally getting around to Arcane Dimensions (after I do a quick run through of Quake), question is, what source port does everyone use, Quakespasm?

Also is there any recommended tweaks to do? Good texture packs/animations packs akin to Smooth Doom? I've got the CD audio so no need to worry about that.

Yeah Quakespasm. Be sure to get the super special fancy updated version that can actually run ad_sepulcher.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah the aforemention fancypants version is here: https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/875907879903141888

That includes engine variants with and without some extra particle effects.

Most Quakespasm users don't load up on replacement textures and stuff. Especially not for modern custom maps. If however you do want to go off the deep end exploring replacement content then FYI the folks interested in that tend to hang out in the quakeone.com forums.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Does Trenchbroom have a built in compiler or did I just imagine that? Right now I've been making maps in there and compiling them in ToeTag which I can't stand actually working in, which seems a little silly.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
It can run external utilities with specified parameters to compile what you're working on, it's explained in the help file. I use this set:

http://ericwa.github.io/tyrutils-ericw/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Half-Life 2 is .99 cents on steam, anybody in here not played it (that would be wild), now's the time! And episode 1 and 2 for .79 cents each, that's how they get ya.

And of course Quake for 1.24 etc, everybody on Earth should be forced to play Quake at least once. What is the most shocking omission in here I wonder, anybody not played a Doom?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Turok2 1.5.5 is now pushed publicly to all (Steam & GOG). If you didn't want dedicated server support, two new game-modes and DirectX optimizations, you can no longer hide from it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/405830/announcements/detail/1346988836024801897

quote:

1.5.5 Patch Notes
===========

Renderer / Graphics
====================
Instanced rendering for particles (Direct X optimization)
Shadow map optimizations (batched actor shadow casters)
Uniform buffer optimizations (Direct X)
Fixed cloaking effect not rendering
Fixed explosions changing color when making contact with 'alien flesh' surface types
Particles and trails can now be occluded by geometry (optimizations)

Single-Player Gameplay
======================
Destructibles now flash red when shot
Fix turrets in River of Souls not firing at player
Some components of the AI is now multi-threaded (optimizations)

Local and Network Multiplayer
=============================
Dedicated server support (self hosted with included binary, server list browser built in)
New InstaRok ("Instagib") game mode
New Raptor-Fest (survival co-op/competitive) game mode
Improved handling of large amounts of object synchronization
Restored 3 N64 maps; Escheria, Endangered species and Moonlit Mayhem
Stability updates
Added 'playername' cvar to act as the local player name in case no social service (Steam/GOG Galaxy) is available

User Interface
==============
New quick weapon select feature

Misc
==============
Optimized collision detection with static meshes
Fixed floating blood splats from shotgun bullets

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The Kins posted:

...What do chaingunners do?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ChickenHeart posted:

If I had to guess:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Nothing yet, I haven't touched them yet, but I'll probably just make them shoot once in Enemy Rockets mode before needing to reload like the other Zombies. I'm not sure what I'll do with Chaingunners yet, I'm currently focusing on Doom 1 and Heretic stuff first.

Here's another video where the shoe is (briefly) on the other foot.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So is Strafe decent yet? It's cheap enough on the sale but if its still messed up I might get turok or something instead.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Nothing yet, I haven't touched them yet, but I'll probably just make them shoot once in Enemy Rockets mode before needing to reload like the other Zombies. I'm not sure what I'll do with Chaingunners yet, I'm currently focusing on Doom 1 and Heretic stuff first.

Here's another video where the shoe is (briefly) on the other foot.

They're chaingunners, they should shoot rockets at the regular chaingunner rate of fire. :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're chaingunners, they should shoot rockets at the regular chaingunner rate of fire. :getin:

I bet they'd end up being less dangerous than normal to you and a lot more dangerous to themselves and other monsters.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Overbite posted:

So is Strafe decent yet? It's cheap enough on the sale but if its still messed up I might get turok or something instead.

It's still not good. Get Turok.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I heard it wasn't great on release but I'm pretty dang happy with Immortal Redneck now. The movement is fast and fluid and for the most part the weapons feel good and are fun to use.

Except for the Ankh. gently caress that thing.

e: the move speed and clambering feels ripped straight from DOOM

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yodzilla posted:

I heard it wasn't great on release but I'm pretty dang happy with Immortal Redneck now. The movement is fast and fluid and for the most part the weapons feel good and are fun to use.

Except for the Ankh. gently caress that thing.

e: the move speed and clambering feels ripped straight from DOOM

Dude, yes.

I just recommended it in the Steam Sale thread, but I've been watching the development of this game for a while. But when it first released, a lot of the videos made the "gunfeel" relatively anemic looking (better than Ziggurat...but not by much) to the point that I ended up not purchasing the game until the v1.2 patch released that seriously revamped the combat.

This is one of my favorite games in a long time, and my absolute favorite FPS Roguelite. With certain characters, abilities, and scrolls you can seriously fly all over the levels like it's Quake '96. And since the game focuses a lot more on verticality than other FPS Roguelites, there's a lot more ability to go launching all over the place, grappling or quadruple-jumping everywhere like some kind of chimp.

QUICK EDIT: And yeah, the Ankh has unlimited ammo but is lame as hell. Good thing that about 85-90% of the other 50+ weapons are super satisfying to use, because the Ankh is not one of them.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 28, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nthing that Immortal Redneck is drat good, and if you like to stream for friends or the internet you should enable the Twitch Integration because the added scrolls voted on by viewers are bonkers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The power gloves or whatever also with infinite ammo suck rear end too.

I think my only gripes so far are:
1) Homing weapons like the fire hand the healer class starts with track based on range and not line of sight so they'll shoot straight into the ceiling if someone is on the floor above you
2) Some rooms are too big and complicated, especially if they're dead ends and/or enemies spawn in behind you after you think you've cleared an area so you need to backtrack
3) The writing is just the absolute worst but it's so nonsensical that it's kinda charming

But overall it seems really great.

e: I want to know why when you fall into lava he says "THIS IS JUST LIKE JOE'S DIVE BUT WITHOUT THE LIQUOR!"

Like I know English isn't your first language but what are you even going for there.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CJacobs posted:

Nthing that Immortal Redneck is drat good, and if you like to stream for friends or the internet you should enable the Twitch Integration because the added scrolls voted on by viewers are bonkers.

I thought it was odd that Immortal Redneck was so high up on Twitch's featured games, but I guess that explains why.

EDIT: Don't know if it's really appropriate to the thread, but what's the best way of playing Goldeneye nowadays? I never played the original (save for one instance of multiplayer nearly twenty years ago)d, but I remember hearing that there was a way to play on PC with a better frame-rate, resolution and mouse-aiming.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 28, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Heavy Metal posted:

Half-Life 2 is .99 cents on steam, anybody in here not played it (that would be wild),

I actually have not ever played half life 2, though I liked half life 1!

I was one of those people that was annoyed at having to install steam and have it running before you could play so I just never got around to playing it even after steam got better.

I did pick it up for $1 awhile back though so I could go play it at some point now I guess...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

People complain about the boat and car sections but I find them pretty relaxing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Play HL2 not to enjoy it or because it's a good game (although you will and it is) but to witness the birth of the modern FPS. Janky physics puzzles, emotionally engaging NPC sidekicks, picking up environmental junk and throwing it at enemies, it's all there in crude but innovative form.

SwissCM posted:

People complain about the boat and car sections but I find them pretty relaxing.

They're just too long. Every part of HL2 has that problem but those two make you feel it the most.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 28, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Half-Life 2 is one of the FPS Greats, although it's a little dated considering it's 12 years old now. It's still a lot of fun and has some great setpieces in it. And for my money, I liked the car section.

Also to whoever recommended Immortal Redneck, hell yeah, I just bought it and I can already tell it's solid. Definitely a far superior version of Ziggurat. I'm really not a super huge fan of the Binding of Isaac clear-the-room-to-continue mechanic since it basically makes every room that isn't the exit a punishment, but it's fun enough anyway. Strafe's movement and level design are still a little superior but this is definitely the strongest FPS Roguelite I've seen.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

skasion posted:

Does Trenchbroom have a built in compiler or did I just imagine that? Right now I've been making maps in there and compiling them in ToeTag which I can't stand actually working in, which seems a little silly.

bsp, vis, and light are editor agnostic, so you can use any of the tools you want with any editor you want. just make a 3 line .bat file that runs each tool and point them to your respective .map and .bsp files

depending on which tools you're using, there's also a bunch of advanced settings you can play with for different lighting styles, log generation, etc.

e.g.

code:
tyr-qbsp.exe -oldaxis MY_COOL_MAP.map
tyrlite.exe -extra -dist .8 MY_COOL_MAP.bsp
vis.exe -v > vis_log.txt MY_COOL_MAP.bsp

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone want the John Romero's original Doom 2 floppies? Act now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/272734734257?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#viTabs_0&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Max Wilco posted:

I thought it was odd that Immortal Redneck was so high up on Twitch's featured games, but I guess that explains why.

EDIT: Don't know if it's really appropriate to the thread, but what's the best way of playing Goldeneye nowadays? I never played the original (save for one instance of multiplayer nearly twenty years ago)d, but I remember hearing that there was a way to play on PC with a better frame-rate, resolution and mouse-aiming.
Goldeneye source, but there's no singleplayer.

There's probably a way to emulate Goldeneye with mouseaim as well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

There's probably a way to emulate Goldeneye with mouseaim as well.
Oh yes, most certainly.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

immortal redneck is fantastic, and not just because it satisfies my depraved lust for mummy protagonists in games

it feels great, it plays great, it has a super cute art style, i love it, i wish it the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

Play HL2 not to enjoy it or because it's a good game (although you will and it is) but to witness the birth of the modern FPS. Janky physics puzzles, emotionally engaging NPC sidekicks, picking up environmental junk and throwing it at enemies, it's all there in crude but innovative form.

They're just too long. Every part of HL2 has that problem but those two make you feel it the most.

If Alyx Vance is emotionally engaging, I'm Mr Data. She is terrible character whose raison d'etre is to suck off a mute cipher and one of the most cheaply manipulative elements ever crammed into an FPS.

HL2 has big problems, even bigger than those of HL1, but everyone should probably play both. The episodes are skippable though.